Ashburnham taxpayers taken for a bumpy ride - Sentinel & Enterprise

Jan 26, 2011 Read more: Sentinel & Enterprise 17
Tell me why we, as top taxpaying residents in Massachusetts, can afford to have a state-of-the art post office, town fire and police building, Oakmont Regional High School, Overlook Regional Middle School and now the $29 million Briggs Elementary Grade School project? Briggs was built with the intentions of being able to rebuild at a later date for ... Read more
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jan 26, 2011
Forget the roads we cant pay our taxes as it is.
rosemary gaskell

Winchendon, MA

#2 Jan 26, 2011
What does it take for a town to pave roads? In this economic climate, probably a miracle.
Ashburnham isn’t alone in school building. A town that I lived in here in Mass. could have saved several million dollars by building a second story on the high school, but choose to put the town in debt by building a whole new school. Again, it was the older residents that remembered that the old high school was designed for a second story. This option was swept aside by the school committee and their rationale for not using the old school, the art room wouldn’t have had direct sun light. In addition, the reason we were supposed to need a new high school, a large increase of children coming into the school system, didn’t materialize either. The design of the building has been a money pit, including the removal of arsenic found in the water supply, after the school opened.
Gen Xer

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jan 26, 2011
You bought a house on a dirt road???
beth

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Jan 26, 2011
There will bill be an exodus Just think how empty The new school will be. Especially when gas hits five dollars a gallon.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Jan 26, 2011
Yes no roads but your tax will go up 600 more in two years tops.
Do The Right Thing

Marlborough, MA

#6 Jan 26, 2011
There was a comprehensive road reconstruction program brought to a ballot vote and it missed by less than 15 votes about 3 years ago. I can tell you that this override would have been a lot cheaper than what I have had to pay (and will continue to pay) for car repairs.
Paulie the Gimp

Gardner, MA

#7 Jan 26, 2011
Drove by Mark Carlisle's house today. He has a huge paving machine and piles of gravel and sand in the backyard. I think he's getting ready to make a run at political office in your town.
Dum as a Brick

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jan 28, 2011
rosemary gaskell wrote:
What does it take for a town to pave roads? In this economic climate, probably a miracle.
Ashburnham isn’t alone in school building. A town that I lived in here in Mass. could have saved several million dollars by building a second story on the high school, but choose to put the town in debt by building a whole new school. Again, it was the older residents that remembered that the old high school was designed for a second story. This option was swept aside by the school committee and their rationale for not using the old school, the art room wouldn’t have had direct sun light. In addition, the reason we were supposed to need a new high school, a large increase of children coming into the school system, didn’t materialize either. The design of the building has been a money pit, including the removal of arsenic found in the water supply, after the school opened.
Please re-think this article...it makes no sense.
Joe

Worcester, MA

#9 Jan 28, 2011
We simply have no money left, as a town, state, or country. It has been spent on some of the stupidest things imaginable and we all slept though it. Now that the infrastructure that was built by our parents and grandparents needs replacing we have nothing left.

VERY LEAN times are coming as soon as the rest of the world figures out loaning money to the US is like loaning a bottle to a drunk.

btw: If the over-rides didn't occur Town Hall, Public Safety, School - I think the votes would have been different.
adam

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Jan 28, 2011
wait until next years tax 600 plus for on year.
Colleen Kelly-Griffiths

Oneonta, NY

#11 Jan 29, 2011
citizen wrote:
Forget the roads we cant pay our taxes as it is.
That is my point. We have rediculous taxes yet we have the worse roads in any town around. My taxes are out of control yet we are supposedly a town people look up to as an upclass town and yet we drive on the worse roads around. Believe me, I am not thrilled about increased taxes but my point was if they were being increased why not increase them for something we need.
Colleen Kelly-Griffiths

Oneonta, NY

#12 Jan 29, 2011
I agree fully.
Colleen Kelly-Griffiths

Oneonta, NY

#13 Jan 29, 2011
Good point Rosemary, unbelievable what we vote on, or lack of voting on, and what gets passed but yet what we need is left behind in the dust, such as roads to drive on.
Colleen Kelly-Griffiths

Oneonta, NY

#14 Jan 29, 2011
I loved your response.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jan 29, 2011
The town is MISMANAGED let vote agian on the school. north tewksbury has no town water no sewage and no free trash pickup. Forget the roads Time to call DOR department of revenue.
This town has big big problems.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jan 29, 2011
citizen wrote:
The town is MISMANAGED let vote agian on the school. north tewksbury has no town water no sewage and no free trash pickup. Forget the roads Time to call DOR department of revenue.
This town has big big problems.
meant to say N. Ashburnham
nancy meehan

Worcester, MA

#17 Jan 31, 2011
agree on roads. agree on tax increases Have been there since 2001 taxes increased by $1200 since then House value has decreased by $100,000 on russell hill rd. explain that?
we are in desperate need of a new J.R. Briggs Have you seen it? Could never suppport a 2nd floor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man who fled into Fitchburg river is arraigned 1 hr lynch 9
Is the GOBN the modern day NAZI with som member... 7 hr Jesse 110
Lynchies Big Reveal 15 hr BillyBob for Mayor 63
News Female moose wanders into downtown Fitchburg Fri Vinnie 7
News Mass. teacher finds success with flipped model Fri Jtn 1
News Fleeing arrest, he went swimming Thu Jtn 3
News Anne Heaton to perform at FSU Thu Jtn 1
More from around the web

Ashburnham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE