Ashburnham seeks advance commitment f...

Ashburnham seeks advance commitment for on-call EMTs - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 12 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Ashburnham seeks advance commitment for on-call EMTs - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The Fire Department is implementing a new method of selecting shifts for on-call EMTs, hoping to give priority to workers who are able to commit to more shifts, town officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

disgusted

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jan 7, 2011
This town will be in recievership anyways
Hmm

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jan 7, 2011
Ashby should take notice and learn from this. No need for the town to have two full time firefigthers just to guarantee ambulance coverage for the 4 call per week EMS service. Make the on-call people accountable to the task they have accepted and lay off a full time firefighter. It is simply un-needed and a waste of money.
Dan

Waltham, MA

#3 Jan 7, 2011
to many people work out of town, sometimes you have to pay people to be ready to respond
3 in state

Gardner, MA

#4 Jan 7, 2011
Is it true Ashburnhan is # 3 in the state for forclosures ? The town voted for a tax increase for a school which there will be no kids to go to since there will be more forclosures yet they don't staff the station. Smart move. Try for once cutting everyone. Yes every one even the school. Was now the time to vote for a school addition when you can't even staff the fire station ? Idiots.
3 in state

Gardner, MA

#5 Jan 7, 2011
So when are you going to take the state EMT exam and start serving your town? Right never instead you will complain about staffing. You live in a bedroom community there is no one there during the week days. You live in a smart town to staff the station during week days. We all know you would be the first person to complain when you couldn'y get service for your family member in need. WOuld it be wortht the two EMT's then ?
Hmm wrote:
Ashby should take notice and learn from this. No need for the town to have two full time firefigthers just to guarantee ambulance coverage for the 4 call per week EMS service. Make the on-call people accountable to the task they have accepted and lay off a full time firefighter. It is simply un-needed and a waste of money.
thereisnocurefor stupid

Gardner, MA

#6 Jan 9, 2011
Follow the money. Take a look at the Fire Department budget and the Police Department budget. Police Department has a budget that is almost double that of the Fire Department. Look at the salaries of the police chief vs. the fire chief. If you look at the police log you will see that from midnight to about three each morning there are several building checks performed. This is where our money is being used. Then when that women fell no one showed up. We need to get our priorities straight. Which is more important the life saving ability of an EMT or paramedic or checking a building that has a security system. I know I definitely feel safer knowing there is a paramedic that will respond to save my life than I feel knowing there is a police officer who will respond and not be able to provide any life saving service. Let say you are in a car accident and someone is injured. The police will be the first to respond under this system. I am sure everyone would say that the top priority in this situation is to save lives. Wouldn't everyone wish the first person on the scene to be a paramedic or EMT. Shouldn't the top priority be to save lives. Then why aren't we funding the EMT and paramedics with the same priority? Are checking buildings really more important?

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jan 9, 2011
Get rid of the fire dept they are totally useless.
Duh

Leominster, MA

#8 Jan 9, 2011
thereisnocureforstupid wrote:
Follow the money. Take a look at the Fire Department budget and the Police Department budget. Police Department has a budget that is almost double that of the Fire Department. Look at the salaries of the police chief vs. the fire chief. If you look at the police log you will see that from midnight to about three each morning there are several building checks performed. This is where our money is being used. Then when that women fell no one showed up. We need to get our priorities straight. Which is more important the life saving ability of an EMT or paramedic or checking a building that has a security system. I know I definitely feel safer knowing there is a paramedic that will respond to save my life than I feel knowing there is a police officer who will respond and not be able to provide any life saving service. Let say you are in a car accident and someone is injured. The police will be the first to respond under this system. I am sure everyone would say that the top priority in this situation is to save lives. Wouldn't everyone wish the first person on the scene to be a paramedic or EMT. Shouldn't the top priority be to save lives. Then why aren't we funding the EMT and paramedics with the same priority? Are checking buildings really more important?
Police officers in MA are trained first responders, just like fire fighters are, unless they take an EMT class and pass the state test. So, cops are able to provide life saving services.
Old Townie

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Jan 10, 2011
thereisnocureforstupid wrote:
Ya, the differance between the police and the fire is actually when the police are not responding to calls they are doing building checks, the fire personnel would be sleeping.
An Observer

AOL

#10 Jan 10, 2011
Why pit the police and fire against each other? They are both public safety agencies but it ends there. It is like having two children a son and a daughter. Both your children from the same family but with vast differences.

Being an EMT is a high burnout job. Look at the Ashburnham department. There are few people with a lot of longevity. The ones who were very active from the days of Mrs Whitney are all gone. Ask the chief how many people are knocking down the door to get in I bet it is very few.
Dan Dubrule

East Hartford, CT

#11 Jan 18, 2011
I fully support our frontline Heros who risk life and limb to serve the public and more should be done for them.
Starting a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)program in Ashburnham would help support our Heros and their mission by getting the community involved. Young and old can take part in a CERT group. The Police and Firefighters have stringent requirements to join their ranks but joining a CERT group there is really no requirements other than a dire to participate.
Here is the website for the CERT program. http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
Observer

Westminster, MA

#12 Jan 18, 2011
Old Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, the differance between the police and the fire is actually when the police are not responding to calls they are doing building checks, the fire personnel would be sleeping.
Yup, you really know what you are talking about. They probably are sleeping because they respond from their home, not from the station. This Town has a Call Department which means that most of the Department responds from their home for a call, they don't work at the Fire Station.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Single-lane opponents to make their case 36 min Dumb dumb dumber 1
News Fitchburg Mayor DiNatale may have met his match... 5 hr Voters love LYNCH 7
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... Wed Golf club 3
News City kicks off annual Civic Days at Riverfront ... Wed Golf club 2
News Vacant home on Rollstone Road in Fitchburg dama... Wed Voters love LYNCH 1
Just Another Tuesday Jun 28 Cedar Street momm... 10
remember that lynch is out of his mind Jun 26 Anthony Zeppole 5

Ashburnham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashburnham Mortgages