Starting new tradition, high school t...

Starting new tradition, high school throws first integrated prom

There are 4 comments on the The Associated Press story from Apr 22, 2007, titled Starting new tradition, high school throws first integrated prom . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

“The school is making changes _ and they're long overdue”

As parents and teachers watched, dozens of Turner County seniors circled a graying city auditorium that was transformed for a night into a tropical scene.

And, for the first time, the faces of the students were white and black.

Prom had officially returned to Turner County High School.

Black and white students at the southern Georgia school have been partying separately for decades _ a form of self-imposed segregation that still lingered generations after the civil rights movement began. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

erin

Malvern, PA

#1 Apr 24, 2007
uhh wow i didnt know that they still had seperate proms im black and i live in pa i couldnt imagin my proms and dances without white ppl eww that state is werid its 2007 not 1957 come on
JE Watts

Berkeley, CA

#2 Apr 24, 2007
Welcome to 2007 Ashburn.
AJ Romig

Ashburn, GA

#3 Apr 25, 2007
Well, I'm from this county and I'm so proud that my senior class finally got the proms together. It was long overdue. I'm just glad that students will be together at prom and homecoming now and for years to come.
Lauren

Decatur, GA

#5 Oct 28, 2008
Ashburn only sees the colours "black" and "white".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I-75 speeding ticket (Jun '09) Aug 23 Kim 399
News Turner murder suspect still on the run (Oct '08) Aug 21 Involved Citizen 16
robbie gree Jun '16 just curious 2
News Turner County woman charged with murder (Mar '13) Jun '16 big b 36
Hawk Apr '16 olefriend 1
New Mayor is a convicted FELON and Police Cheif... (Feb '15) Apr '16 Evelyn 8
PoPo (Feb '16) Feb '16 where theres smoke 6

Ashburn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashburn Mortgages