Uncle_Buck

Hope Valley, RI

#1 Jan 27, 2013
I just read in the Westerly Sun that a new Town Hall is to be built. What, you thought it was voted down! No, as per the Town Administrator, only the Bond was voted down. Seems that every year the taxes were going up, and some how a vast amount of the resulting surplus has been stashed away.

So as per the Sun from Jan 27, 2013, the town has stashed 692,000 away, and this budget will add another 250,000.

So if the taxes were intentionally increased to pad the coffers, but the agenda was kept from the citizens I think we have a problem. I believe the bond was defeated because of the downstream liability the towns people were unwilling to pay for. The reality is the homwowner is dying under these taxes. Maybe that is where there is a net out flow of people from RI. In effect the population, the tax base, are leaving.

The first Financial Workshop is Feb 11 at the Town Hall. I just wonder how long before someone turns up at these meetings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashaway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where are the RI posters? (Nov '06) Jan '15 Civility 3
Westerly Schools Committee halts transgender rule Nov '14 Karissa Bradford 2
Who do you support for State Senate in Rhode Is... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Kathy 1
Hopkinton rejects truck-stop plan (Jul '09) May '10 Jam 2
Debate: Health Care - Ashaway, RI (Nov '09) Nov '09 April 1
Rogeriee Thompson (Jun '09) Jun '09 MAX S 2
'We Shall Remain' Tells Native American History... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Confused 5

Winter Storm Warning for Washington County was issued at March 04 at 10:39PM EST

Ashaway Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Ashaway People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:24 am PST