Movement afoot to allow alcohol sales...

Movement afoot to allow alcohol sales in dry Sharp County

There are 111 comments on the Pine Bluff Commercial story from Jan 6, 2008, titled Movement afoot to allow alcohol sales in dry Sharp County. In it, Pine Bluff Commercial reports that:

Two Sharp County women say permitting the sale of alcohol in the dry northeast Arkansas county could both save the environment and boost local coffers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pine Bluff Commercial.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Kinder, LA

#124 Jun 18, 2009
Ash Flat resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You have that right about the wettest dry county along with Izard County.
Exactly !! Let the PEOPLE vote, not the damn politicians who get paid off with money and free booze. It's not like there will be a liquor store on every corner for gods sake. Each county only allows so many liquor licenses depending on the population. I understand that alot of the preachers and their congregations are against the passing and are trying to stop it, but they need to realize that not everyone shares thier same opinions. Live and let live !!
Ash Flat resident

Dothan, AL

#125 Jun 18, 2009
I think there will be 4 in Sharp County if it passes.
Someone in CV

United States

#126 Jun 18, 2009
I think that this is ridiculous. I came from a state that allowed alcohol sales and there was nothing wrong with it. People do stupid things. Not everyone who drinks is a drunk...i agree. There is nothing wrong with having a beer after a long day of work. the people here are having to drive at least 20 miles on way to get alcohol. That's ridiculous. That puts that many people on the road that are willing to open that drink on the way home. That puts everyone on the road at risk.Five miles would be so much better. The tourism would be better for sure. It would lessen auto costs and bring money to the county that we need. To those who really appose it DON'T BUY IT IF YOU DON'T WANT IT.
red bird

Dothan, AL

#127 Jun 18, 2009
There is many places in Sharp County to get liqour without driving to MO. Look at all the private clubs in Sharp and Izard County.

Since: Jun 09

Kinder, LA

#128 Jun 18, 2009
Well the bald guy is at it again !
Just check out this weeks Villager Journal.
LIES, LIES, and MORE LIES !!!
Question

Middleton, ID

#129 Jun 19, 2009
Can you PROVE him wrong? I mean actual facts, not just shooting off at the mouth. If so, please provide your facts and your sources of those facts. I would be interested in hearing the other side if it indeed has something FACTUAL to say. If you can not PROVE him wrong, please admit that. Thank you.
From all the information I have been able to find, Mr. Street is right on the money with his information.
OMG

Kinder, LA

#131 Oct 8, 2009
P.S. Were some of you asleep in your English classes?
Jarhead

Clarksville, AR

#132 Oct 8, 2009
We have heard people say,"Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up". Maybe I can turn that around to read, "My mind is not yet made up so give me some facts". My facts come from being a recovered, not recovering, but recovered alcoholic of some 20 years. Having said that, here are some facts. I must give all the credit for my recovery to all mighty GOD who heard my cry for help and reached down and lifted me out of that filthy existance in which I was trapped. Also I must heap praise on my dear wife of 58 years for her long suffering and staying with me all those horrible years. I love her more today then when I first met her. Having said that here are the ALCOHOL facts.
No one ever knows if they will become an alcoholic till they take that first drink and then they join the rest of the ignorant and stupid people. I say that because no one held a gun to their head and forced them to drink. They did it on their own free will. And another fact. Now here come the 'groups' for the sake of a name, saying you are not an alcoholic but that you have a DISEASE. A what? Here are the facts on that. "IF ALCOHOLISM IS A DISEASE---"
It is the only disease that is contracted by an act of the will.
It is the only disease that requires a licence to propagate it.
It is the only disease that is bottled and sold.
It is the only disease that requires outlets to spread it.
It is the only disease that produces revenue for the goverment.
It is the only disease that provokes crime.
It is the only disease that is habit forming.
It is the only disease that is spread by advertising.
It is the only disease without a germ or virus cause, and for which there is no human corrective medicine.
Alcoholism is NOT a disease, it is a sin aginst GOD and His word says so over and over again.
Just trying to give you the facts.
Ho Ho Ho

Chesterfield, MO

#133 Oct 8, 2009
Organon wrote:
It is so funny to me. The bigger the trash, the more they hate others. Always blaming their troubles on people who don't look like them instead of taking ownership for their own stupid mistakes.
You shouldn't talk about Ho De Doo like that, he doesn't know any better and it's hard being the biggest bigot assh*le in the state.
Gspeach

Melbourne, AR

#134 Nov 10, 2012
Someone in CV wrote:
I think that this is ridiculous. I came from a state that allowed alcohol sales and there was nothing wrong with it. People do stupid things. Not everyone who drinks is a drunk...i agree. There is nothing wrong with having a beer after a long day of work. the people here are having to drive at least 20 miles on way to get alcohol. That's ridiculous. That puts that many people on the road that are willing to open that drink on the way home. That puts everyone on the road at risk.Five miles would be so much better. The tourism would be better for sure. It would lessen auto costs and bring money to the county that we need. To those who really appose it DON'T BUY IT IF YOU DON'T WANT IT.
Very well said, I couldn't have said it better myself. Also why should those of us who can have one drink and stop be forced to drive over 45 miles one way to buy wine or beer? Alcoholics are the ones with the problem not us. People think about these dry counties that have bars that sell alcohol this is forcing people to drive after drinking. Instead of letting a person go to a local store to make a quick purchase to take home and drink responsibly. Doesn't that make better sense? No you rather they go to the local bar instead get drunk and drive home to kill someone on the way. Duh. Get over it...
Gspeach

Melbourne, AR

#135 Nov 10, 2012
bubba wrote:
what is more to you kids or alcohol
Most kids get their alcohol from their own home. Either way mommy ad daddy are the ones bringing it home. So what does that have to do with it? To answer your question, ALCOHOL DUH... By the way others must feel the same cause the law has passed. Parents get your kids under control so us adults can drink responsibly. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ash Flat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 min BARNEYII 34,398
Local Politics Do you approve of Robert Barnes as Mayor? (May '14) 11 min Pete 260
Where to fish at in Cherokee 1 hr Now_What- 2
Diamond Bob at the Eagles... 2 hr Rufus 138
Downhome 12 hr Now_What- 31
CV problems Fri The Colonel 22
karma has come to town Fri JYNX 11

Ash Flat Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ash Flat Mortgages