Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 2013- Are You For Or Against It?
Posted in the Arvada Forum
#1 Dec 23, 2012
How do you feel about it? Do you think it stands a chance of being made into law? Are you for or against it?
Since: Sep 08
#2 Dec 23, 2012
“Invisible Pink Unicorn”
Since: May 08
#3 Dec 24, 2012
NO but it is very American to give up rights for a false sense of security.
Just look at the rights we let go after 9/11 under President Bush.
1st AMENDMENT FREEDOM OF SPEECH
• The Patriot Act broadly expands the official definition of
terrorism, so that many domestic groups that engage in
nonviolent civil disobedience could very well find themselves
labeled as terrorists.
• The Government may now prosecute librarians or keepers
of any other records if they reveal that the government
requested information on their clients or members in the
course of an investigation. It has become a crime for these
individuals to try to safeguard your privacy or to tell you
that you are under investigation.
1st AMENDMENT FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION
• Government agents may now monitor the First Amendmentprotected activities of religious and political institutions, and
then infiltrate these groups with no suspicion of criminal
activity. This is a return to domestic spying on law-abiding
religious and political groups.
• You may now be the subject of a government investigation
simply because of the political, activist, or advocacy
groups you are involved in, or the statements you make
within these groups.
1st AMENDMENT RIGHT TO ACCESS
• A U.S. Department of Justice directive actively encourages
federal, state, and local officials to resist and/or limit access
to government records through Freedom of Information Act
• The Government has conducted immigration hearings in
secret behind closed doors. Such proceedings were once
open to the public. Hundreds, if not thousands, of immigrants
have already been deported in secret.
4th AMENDMENT FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE
• Law Enforcement authorities may now conduct secret searches and wiretaps in your home or office
without showing “probable cause.” They need only to claim that intelligence gathering is “a significant
purpose” of their intrusion, even when the primary goal is ordinary law enforcement. They may also
monitor where and to whom you send and receive e-mail, or where you go on the Internet, recording
every e-mail address and website you have been in contact with.
• Law Enforcement may now demand any personal records held by any source including your doctor,
employer, accountant, or library. All they have to do is claim that it is related to an investigation into
“terrorism.” The record keepers may not reveal that your records were provided to the government.
• Judicial oversight of secret searches has been effectively minimized. The Patriot Act directs judges to
consent to secret searches based only on the Government’s assertion that a “significant” purpose of
an investigation is gathering information related to “terrorism,” as the government defines it.
5th AMENDMENT RIGHT TO DUE PROCESS & FREEDOM FROM BEING
HELD WITHOUT CHARGE
“Invisible Pink Unicorn”
Since: May 08
#4 Dec 24, 2012
part 2 of right lost under President Bush after 9/11
• Americans can now be jailed without a formal charge & without the right to confront the witnesses or
evidence against them. American citizens are now being held in military jails without charge and without a clear path of appeal for their indefinite confinement.
• Hundreds of Arab, Muslim and South Asian men were rounded up in the Ashcroft raids following
September 11, and held for weeks without charges until all were cleared of terrorism charges
6th AMENDMENT RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION
• Hundreds of U.S. residents have been detained for months at a time, and denied access to the advice
and advocacy of an attorney. The Government may now monitor conversations between attorneys &
clients in federal jails.
• The Bush Administration filed papers in court that arguing that an American citizen held in a military
jail without charge should be denied access to legal counsel because such access would interfere with
the process of his interrogation.
6th AMENDMENT RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL
• The U.S. Government may now jail its residents and citizens indefinitely without charge & without a public trial.
8th AMENDMENT FREEDOM FROM CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENTS
• The U.S. Government has taken into custody individuals they identify as “material witnesses,” transported them across the country, and held them for months in solitary confinement without charge or
contact with their family.
• According to the Justice Department’s own Inspector General, immigrant men rounded up in the
Ashcroft raids following September 11 and held in the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, NY
were subjected to a pattern of “physical and verbal abuse.”
14th AMENDMENT RIGHT TO EQUAL PROTECTION
• Over 82,000 men from Arab, Muslim and South Asian countries registered with the Government
under the Special Registration program. Over 13,000 are now in deportation proceedings. None
have been charged with terrorism.
#5 Dec 25, 2012
Ahhh didn't your man Berry sign an extension on that horrid false sense of security?
#6 Dec 28, 2012
Yep yep .... And I heard Eric, assault weapons to Mexico, Holder, wanted to add the ability for government to read our email accounts without a warrant, to that extension. Don't know if it passed though.
Since: Aug 10
#7 Dec 28, 2012
First, manufacturing of these weapons will cease.
Then the flow of guns will become like a stagnant pond.
Dam up the overflow of the stagnant pond and the lower stream goes dry.
Now, there's containment.
Empty the pond.
Simple as that.
#8 Dec 28, 2012
You going demand Austria stop making Glocks or Israel to put down their Uzi's? Maybe Russia or China will stop stamping out Kalashnikov rifles. What about the US army? Police? The only person without access to arms will be YOU.
Since: Aug 10
#9 Dec 28, 2012
Embargo all gun shipments.
US Army? > exempt
Police? > temp. exempt
Me? > Don't desire one.
It's really not as dificult to do as you would like to think. It would take time, yes ... but there's no basis for thinking that guns cannot become virtually extinct in this country.
Now, my honest advice to gun lovers and black powder junkies would be to urge your leaders in Congress to work with each other and get some meaningful handle on containment of weaponry in this land of ours, before another mass shooting occurs at some school, daycare, or movie theater. Dragging your feet on realistic compromise could well lose you the right to own that gun you so love.
Pounding away cuss words at me won't accomplish anything.
Since: Aug 10
#10 Dec 28, 2012
not that any cuss words have been slung yet, but I expect them.
Thought I should clear that up.
#11 Dec 28, 2012
Assault type guns should be banned. Then a weirdo cant shoot as many people.
#12 Dec 28, 2012
Banning wont work though. People can just buy what they need from overseas websites.
#13 Dec 30, 2012
Gung-Ho Vote no Im against
Add your comments below
|Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11)||42 min||tbird19482||29,093|
|Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13)||48 min||Rattlesnake Pete||51,996|
|CHI-St. Lukes Health CEO's||Wed||anonymous||5|
|woman have you ever cought someone jacking off ... (Aug '15)||Jul 17||JRoy||46|
|Beware of Remedy roofing (May '11)||Jul 17||Janet B||46|
|Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10)||Jul 17||Phillip||22|
|Ridge Home Information (Dec '06)||Jun '17||SRCPT||64|
Find what you want!
Search Arvada Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC