No Whiner Diner
Just wondering

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone besides myself smelled cigarettes when going to eat at this restaurant? I actually have seen cigarette ashes in the restroom of this place and have been told from previous employees that the cooks smoke right by the kitchen. The owners seem like really nice people, but if you complain about your food they get really mad. We ordered chicken noodle soup and there was no chicken in it whatsoever and very few noodles. The food seems to have really gone downhill there lately. The service is great though! Those waitresses are very good at what they do! I'm not trying to bash them, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the way the restaurant has changed.
Wow

Amarillo, TX

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Yes... The staff is great. However the menu is getting less and less appealing. I heard that No Whiner first opened it's doors because THE FIREHOUSE steaks were to expensive, and they wanted a good restaurant with a fair price. I loved the Prime Rib, but eventually it was only available certain days a week. Then it was completely taken off the menu and replaced with Roast Beef. Now even that is off the menu!!

If you are a BEEF eater, this place will disappoint you!! But it wasn't always that way!

redmeat

Clovis, NM

#3 Feb 21, 2013
Wow wrote:
Yes... The staff is great. However the menu is getting less and less appealing. I heard that No Whiner first opened it's doors because THE FIREHOUSE steaks were to expensive, and they wanted a good restaurant with a fair price. I loved the Prime Rib, but eventually it was only available certain days a week. Then it was completely taken off the menu and replaced with Roast Beef. Now even that is off the menu!!
If you are a BEEF eater, this place will disappoint you!! But it wasn't always that way!
eat less red meat and get healthier!
Same story

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Wow wrote:
Yeah, that's the same story that I heard! They definitely had a lot more business when they served the prime rib. I honestly think it's because it is one of the few things that Ray knows how to cook. Everyone knows that Ray cannot cook a regular steak. He complains constantly about people ordering medium-well and well-done steaks, but if you order a steak medium-rare, he cooks it medium-well. His pastas are actually pretty good most of the time. The last few times that I have eaten in there saw the woman owner (not sure of her name) just sitting down talking to customers while her servers are running around busy trying to do their jobs and hers. It doesn't look like they treat their employees very well. I have tried to make small talk with the servers who have waited on me for years and they act very short with not only myself , but their other customers as well. It's like they aren't allowed to have a good time there.
ashley

Lockhart, TX

#5 Feb 21, 2013
Yes, they do smoke in the restaurant and they talk so badly about carlsbad. One of my friends worked for them for a while and they treat their staff terribly!!!! I have been told comments that Ray and Martha have made about the girls there and they were so mean and degrading!!! They claim to be Christians and listen to the Christian radio station all of the time. I guess they think that pretending to be nice to their customers will deceive them on the type of people that they really are. The waitresses were always in trouble for such silly things. They were not allowed to speak to eachother or even laugh during their shift, but the cooks can sit in the back and smoke cigarettes INSIDE the building and then cook your food without washing their hands. That's sanitary right?! LOL..what a joke, maybe someday they will get caught
sb

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Feb 21, 2013
ashley wrote:
Yes, they do smoke in the restaurant and they talk so badly about carlsbad. One of my friends worked for them for a while and they treat their staff terribly!!!! I have been told comments that Ray and Martha have made about the girls there and they were so mean and degrading!!! They claim to be Christians and listen to the Christian radio station all of the time. I guess they think that pretending to be nice to their customers will deceive them on the type of people that they really are. The waitresses were always in trouble for such silly things. They were not allowed to speak to eachother or even laugh during their shift, but the cooks can sit in the back and smoke cigarettes INSIDE the building and then cook your food without washing their hands. That's sanitary right?! LOL..what a joke, maybe someday they will get caught
Hahaha!!!!!!! Sooo funny that you brought this up because its true! They smoke inside during business hours and they treat the waitresses like shit! They don't deserve to have such great women working for them!! I worked there and they were so bipolar...one day they loved you and the next they would talk down to you and tell you that everything you were doing was wrong. Anybody who has worked for them knows that they can be very nice, but you never know when ray is going to be in a bad mood. It's like walking on eggshells everyday. The rules change every day as well and from person to person. All you have to do is completely kiss Martha's ass and she will love you. You can be the worst worker ever and she will still love you, but if you don't have too much in common with her, then it does not matter if you do a great job, she will treat you like a dog. I'm so glad I left that place, they would just stare out of the kitchen into the dining room talking badly about all of their customers, calling them fat.....when lets be honest..we ALL know ray is a fatass. Hahahaha I'm glad others are finally seeing the truth about these "wonderful" people
sb

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Feb 21, 2013
Oh and the black guy who works there is a huge druggy and they don't care!! He use to ask random girls to get him drugs..he's a joke too! If any woman makes eye contact with him, he thinks they want to fuck him! And he thinks that they would leave their man, who makes a hellova lot more money than he does, to be with him. Because let's face it ladies, you know you want a 35 yr old man who has done nothing with his life but become a fry cook at a restaurant lmao!!!!!! What a joke

Since: Oct 12

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Feb 21, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
Has anyone besides myself smelled cigarettes when going to eat at this restaurant? I actually have seen cigarette ashes in the restroom of this place and have been told from previous employees that the cooks smoke right by the kitchen. The owners seem like really nice people, but if you complain about your food they get really mad. We ordered chicken noodle soup and there was no chicken in it whatsoever and very few noodles. The food seems to have really gone downhill there lately. The service is great though! Those waitresses are very good at what they do! I'm not trying to bash them, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the way the restaurant has changed.
Don't return your food at any restaurant or they will put fromumda cheese on your food!
Just wondering

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Feb 21, 2013
NMNorsk wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't return your food at any restaurant or they will put fromumda cheese on your food!
LOL, well I didn't send it back we just informed them that the "chicken noodle" soup had absolutely NO CHICKEN and very few NOODLES. My guess would be that there should have been chicken in e soup hence the name CHICKEN NOODLE :) thanks for the advice though
Terrible

Hobbs, NM

#11 Feb 22, 2013
I will never go back to that place. I went to eat and as I was walking to the table the waitress asked for my drink order. I told her sat down, opened the menu and noticed they had removed the meal I wated to order.
I told the waitress that was the only reason we went there (only place to eat that particular meal) and I appreciated it, but we were going to leave. They actually had the balls to charge me for the drinks! Made a huge scene and acted like assholes.
I won't be back. EVER!
Anonymous

United States

#12 Feb 22, 2013
....and dont spit in that cops burger.
agree w/ just wondering

Carlsbad, NM

#13 Feb 22, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
The food is not quite like it was a few yrs ago. The wife and myself ordered a salad from them and the lettuce was so wilted and still had dirt in it. The tomatoes and cucumber were soggy and slimy...so gross!! And there was a gnat in the lettuce. We couldn't believe that there were so many things wrong with such a small salad. When we notified the server she informed us that all of the cucumbers and tomatoes were soggy on the other salads as well. It makes you wonder if their name is joke since they give you so many reasons to whine. Those waitresses sure are pretty. I think the owner just hires them so he can have some eye candy to look at because his wife is
So unattractive .
agree w/ just wondering

Carlsbad, NM

#14 Feb 22, 2013
Terrible wrote:
I will never go back to that place. I went to eat and as I was walking to the table the waitress asked for my drink order. I told her sat down, opened the menu and noticed they had removed the meal I wated to order.
I told the waitress that was the only reason we went there (only place to eat that particular meal) and I appreciated it, but we were going to leave. They actually had the balls to charge me for the drinks! Made a huge scene and acted like assholes.
I won't be back. EVER!
Wow! They made you pay for a drink that you didn't even touch? That is so wrong! I bet you the waitress had no choice but to follow her boss's rules. That is insane that they didn't just let you leave
good to know!

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Feb 25, 2013
Well it's nice to know that they smoke inside, but isn't that illegal? They always seemed like nice people
michelle

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Feb 25, 2013
Does anyone know if these allegations are true?!?! I'd like to know whether eating there is a good idea or not?!! C'mon people speak up!!?
curt

Carlsbad, NM

#17 Feb 25, 2013
Does he come up with all of his wise sayings on his own? Or does he steal them from other people? Anyone know
Carlsbadite

Artesia, NM

#18 Feb 26, 2013
I too was disappointed to find that the Prime Rib had been removed from the menu and later, the Roast Beef that replaced it. The restaurant is DEFINITELY going downhill! The food is markedly worse than it's ever been. The last soup I ordered was simply a nightmare. I ordered tomato beef soup. When it arrived it was obvious that they had taken a ladle of tomato-based broth and tossed in a few SMALL chunks of ground beef. My GF ordered the tomato basil soup and got tomato broth with dried basil and a FEW limp vegetables. The burgers are pre-formed patties off the back of a food service truck as are the meatballs and ALL the fish.
Many restaurants in Carlsbad are going downhill. The Pecos River Cafe is an example of a once fine cafe that has compromised quality. At one time PRC was a great place to eat! It was always fresh and made in-house. It's CRAP now! Everything is off the food service truck! Even the once excellent cinnamon rolls are garbage! They taste like nothing more than fake orange flavoring whipped up into a doughie, cloyingly sweet pile of goo.
These Restaurants will sink or swim with Carlsbad's growth. It's no longer good enough to rest on those hometown laurels. Step up and get good again or go under the wheels of better restaurants, both local and national.
briana

Carlsbad, NM

#19 Feb 28, 2013
It makes my heart smile to see that the rest of the world is learning about the evil things ray and martha say and do to people. Ray bad mouths all of the oilfield workers who eat there. I know for a fact that a well known company used to eat in there and ask for simple things such as extra cucumbers on a salad and were denied even when they offered to pay whatever he wanted them to. And in mr. Richardsons perfect eyes those guys are oilfield trash. His evil actions just scream how jealous he is of people who are more successful than him. I can't believe they can even afford to stay open, I haven't been there in years but I can't imagine that any woman with a brain could stay working there very long. He lost his best girls he had over the years by being such a D*ck
angry?

Carlsbad, NM

#20 Feb 28, 2013
briana wrote:
It makes my heart smile to see that the rest of the world is learning about the evil things ray and martha say and do to people. Ray bad mouths all of the oilfield workers who eat there. I know for a fact that a well known company used to eat in there and ask for simple things such as extra cucumbers on a salad and were denied even when they offered to pay whatever he wanted them to. And in mr. Richardsons perfect eyes those guys are oilfield trash. His evil actions just scream how jealous he is of people who are more successful than him. I can't believe they can even afford to stay open, I haven't been there in years but I can't imagine that any woman with a brain could stay working there very long. He lost his best girls he had over the years by being such a D*ck
Are you an angry ex-employee?! Why don't you work there? Do tell...lets hear your sob story :)
Mike

Carlsbad, NM

#21 Mar 1, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, well I didn't send it back we just informed them that the "chicken noodle" soup had absolutely NO CHICKEN and very few NOODLES. My guess would be that there should have been chicken in e soup hence the name CHICKEN NOODLE :) thanks for the advice though
Are you sure you didn't order 'chicken LITTLE' soup?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Artesia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ICE’s New Strategy To Stop Illegals Using Exist... 2 hr Sooner or Later 16
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 3 hr A lib that ends i... 10,005
Return Of BurgerKing 3 hr Campos 36
IS Dickey's BBQ ready to open on National Parks... 17 hr Jeff 4
Recommendation on a GOOD Relator in Carlsbad 23 hr Local 30
News Carlsbad moves forward with water park expansion Wed Linda T 1
News Court rules against injunction on RV parka Nov 20 Titan 3

Artesia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance