people in military bases in France in...
Joan Pillsbury

Oakland, ME

#2489 Jan 30, 2013
I lived in the Cite Americaine, Grigny while my Dad was working in the Radio Relay Squadron in France from 1957-1960. I have such fond memories of Grigny, Viry-Chatilon and Paris. My heart wants to visit there again, but I am afraid it will have changed.
Bryan Hackett

Grass Valley, CA

#2490 Jan 30, 2013
ED SEMERARO wrote:
I was stationed at Braconne from oct 59 till Feb 63 in the transportation motot pool. I think I was in Det C, but I am not sure as that was so long ago.
Hi Ed, I was at Braconne 1957/58 as a M-47/48 tank Mechanic. I was in 2nd platoon Det C. We lived in old wood tar paper shacks. When us mecahnics were transfered to Fontenet, they built new baracks for the troops. When we got to Fontenet we had a new 3 story barracks too.
Bryan
Howard Collins

Las Vegas, NV

#2491 Jan 30, 2013
Eric-John wrote:
<quoted text>
My father John R.G. GUINT US ARMY was in Fontainebleau for the SHAPE then NATO from 1956 to 1967
His Office was previously inside the castle then Caserne LARIBOISIERE and CAMP GUYENMER
We was living downtown at the corner of rue de France and rue Saint Mery
For all families based in Fontainebleau please use this link
to get some pictures and SHAPE and NATO history in this beautifull
city
http://avoneducationdefense.blogspot.fr/2010/...
Sorry It is in french but you will find pictures of USAF band and Camp GUYENMER main gate and much more
Best regards
Brgds
Thank you for the post John, a lot of memories here.
MARTINE SADLER

Mission Viejo, CA

#2492 Jan 31, 2013
MY DAD JOE SADLER WAS STATIONED AT BUSSAC HE WAS WITH THE CID I GREW UP THERE SINCE MY DAD HAD MARRIED MY MOM A FRENCH LADY MY GRANDPARENTS OWN THE HOTEL AT THE CENTER OF THE TOWN I HAD A LOT OF YOUNG GI FRIENDS ONE OF THEM WALTER COLE FROM FLA ANOTHER WAS GENE FROM OREGON WALTER WHO LOOKED LIKE RICKY NELSON WHOM I NICKNAMED RICKY THEY WERE A FEW YEARS OLDER THAN ME AND RICKY HAD A VESPA THOSE WERE GOOD TIMES
TO MY SADNESS MY DAD WAS SENT BACK TO THE STATES IN 1963 AND WAS STATIONED AT FT LEWIS WA
LAST TIME I SAW WALTER OR RICKY WAS WHEN I FOUND OUT HE WAS ON THE SHIP BACK TO THE STATES AT THE SAME TIME I WAS..... I OFTEN WONDER HOW LIFE HAS TREATED THEM I AM ON FACEBOOK UNDER MARTINE LANGES OR TINA LANGES
ERIC-JOHN

France

#2493 Feb 1, 2013
Howard Collins wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you for the post John, a lot of memories here.
Hello HOWARD

Just in case if you want to recived some pictures please find herafter my email [email protected]
Do you remember the FOSTER family
I am in contact with Ann PICHELOUP the daughter of GUS PICHELOUP
Best regards
Al Boka

AOL

#2494 Feb 1, 2013
Tina Sears wrote:
<quoted text>
My father, Sam Wheeler, was in flight services at Orly from 1960 to 1962 when he was transferred to Chateauroux. I wish I knew which squadron he was in. Many happy days spent in France.
Tina,
Thank you for the message. I remember Major Wheeler very well as he helped me go through a difficult time in August of 1961 when my wife was killed in an auto accident. Is he still alive and, if so, may I contact him?
best regards,
Al
[email protected]
Monika Martin Dombrosky

Niceville, FL

#2495 Feb 2, 2013
My family was stationed at TRAB (Toul Rosieres Air Base) in France and lived in off-base housing from 1959-1963. My brothers, Benny (Junior) and Al and I caught the bus to go to the base school, which had been a BOQ. My 2 young sisters at the time were Cindy and Pam. We lived next door to a wonderful family, Marcella and Richard Tuno and their 3 children, Jeannie, Raymond and Marc. Some of my friends were Kathy Dodderidge, Diana White, Joyce Burnett, and Patty Hilyard. I would like to hear from anyone who knew us or the Tuno family. My nickname was "Moni" but at school I was known as Monika Martin.
Ray Mills USAF 62-66

Trenton, NJ

#2496 Feb 2, 2013
Monika Martin Dombrosky wrote:
My family was stationed at TRAB (Toul Rosieres Air Base) in France and lived in off-base housing from 1959-1963. My brothers, Benny (Junior) and Al and I caught the bus to go to the base school, which had been a BOQ. My 2 young sisters at the time were Cindy and Pam. We lived next door to a wonderful family, Marcella and Richard Tuno and their 3 children, Jeannie, Raymond and Marc. Some of my friends were Kathy Dodderidge, Diana White, Joyce Burnett, and Patty Hilyard. I would like to hear from anyone who knew us or the Tuno family. My nickname was "Moni" but at school I was known as Monika Martin.
You may want to check out this website for TRAB Brats
Also called: A moment in time
http://www.webring.org/hub...
Michael Beard

United States

#2497 Feb 3, 2013
fred galiardo wrote:
hello to all my frends out there was based at the 72nd transportation in toul france in 1963 to 1965
would like to here from you guys
Hello Fred, I was station there with the 72nd Trans Company in 1964 and 1965. Drove all over Europe in a deuce and half.
Michael Beard

United States

#2498 Feb 3, 2013
Hello Fred, I was station in Toul at the hospital in 64-65 and was with the 72nd Trans Company. I drove a duece and half all over France and Germany.
Harry Foulds

AOL

#2499 Feb 4, 2013
Barb Bryant wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Robert, I am a friend of the wife of the late Charles "Chuck" Nevans. He was stationed in Evreux(317 ABGp)during this time, but she has limited information regarding his station and deployments. She thought he had been in Vietnam, but not sure now. The Air Force cannot find any records. She has one listing of service but nothing else. We are looking for anyone who might have known him and could provide further information.
Hi My Name is Harry Foulds and a member of the 317th Vets Group.
A lot of information about the 317th is located on our web page.
www.usaf317thvet.org
Harry Foulds

AOL

#2500 Feb 4, 2013
Hi My Name is Harry Foulds and a member of the 317th Vets Group.
A lot of information about the 317th is located on our web page.
www.usaf317thvet.org
john

Elkridge, MD

#2502 Feb 5, 2013
I was9 and 10 in 1954 and 1955. was an army brat lived in Chattelerault. Rode the Army bus to school every day. We had two grades at the same time in a small Quanset Hut. The teacher was named Mr. Six. Anyone remember this
Al Boka

AOL

#2503 Feb 5, 2013
Bill Ferris wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure I'm doing this right, but you would be the first person who remembers the LaBoheme bar on Mounparnarse. If so, E-mail me back and we'll see what ekse we remember. Bill ,Ferris Casernre laboisiere 1962-1964
Bill,
I got the same education in 1957 and 1958 when I discovered La Boheme. It was on a small side street which angled off from Rue Odessa [near the present-day tour Montparnasse]. The street no longer exists but the memories live on. I remember most the many French girls in there and that they had an "everybody" room for a w.c. Also know well the many bars of Pigalle....Nebraska, Canada, etc. Have been back many times but it is no longer the same.
Al Boka -- Orly Field 1957-1961

[email protected]
Al Boka

AOL

#2504 Feb 6, 2013
Frawley BECKER wrote:
To Robert Monk, Bill Ferris, Ed Swafford:
Scroll up a little higher on this mail list and you'll see a long letter of mine (I'm Frawley Becker) that you should read. I was trying to get Mike O'Toole's attention (I haven't yet). I'm a published book author. If you go on line and put my name in, all sorts of info (books and plays, etc.) will come up, just so you now I'm legit. I was the civilian Entertainment Director at Special Services Hqs EUCOM at Camp des Loges from 1958-1961. I'm presently working on a novel, with much of the action taking place at that base and in various parts of Paris. But there is a fictitious sergeant in the manuscript who lives in military housing in Orléans and I was hoping to get some info from O'Toole about that facility. However -- and here's where you guys could be helpful -- much later in the book, there will be new character entering the story and he is an airman stationed at Evreux. I actually knew an airman with the improbable name of Joe Swindle (A 1/C?) stationed there in 1959-1960. He did comic routines, miming well-known (and comedic) recordings; I also used him in some plays. When I come to that part of the book, I will need descriptions of the base at Evreux, military transportation (like buses between bases) and if there were any G.I. bars in Evreux itself. And also what kind of a base it was. And if any of you recall a base at nearby St-André-de-l'Eure that I think was an army base, that, too, would be helpful. It was a tiny base and even US Army Info office in New York (that helps motion picture people and novelists) didn't know, because it was such a long time ago and such an unknown facility. While I won't actually get to the new airman character in Evreux for at least a year (he comes in towards the end of the book) it would be helpful to get some info now from any or all of you guys, and I'll just hold onto my notes. You can answer here of course or actually e-mail me directly (which would be faster, more direct) if you like. My address is [email protected] Mille mercis to all three of you! I lived in Paris for 17 years and am now semi-retired from the film industry here in Los Angeles. Look forward to hearing from you. Sounds like you all have terrific memories, but then how lucky can you get? 19 and in Paris!!! Spoiled you for the rest of your lives, n'est-ce pas? All the best,
Frawley Becker
Frawley,
You "hit the nail on the heade" with your comment regarding being spoiled for life. I arrived to my first USAF assignment, Orly Field, on Dec. 7, 1957..age 18. That reality has influenced my entire life in both values and perceptions. I developed an intense appreciation for travel and, to this day, remain in an occupation which allows for frequent and exotic travel. Often I have attributed my condition to having been exposed and such a young and influencable age to the effects of Parisien life. While living there I tried to blend in with the local population and was quite successful at doing so.
best regards,
Al

[email protected]
Anita Fortin

Collegeville, MN

#2506 Feb 6, 2013
I was born in 1960 in Fountainbleu. My father was in the Air Force as an accountant his name was Charles Ray Stokes. He died when I was very young. We left when I was four. My name was Anita Sandra Stokes. Can I have ciitizenship in France?
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2507 Feb 7, 2013
Swallowing my 79 year-old pride--Can anyone who served in France during the 1950s, tell me where Bleriot, known affectionately as "the Big PX" was located [Street/Boundary]. I know it was on the Seine, in or near Saint Cloud [Paris suburb], on the west/left bank of the river. It may have been near the bridge, "Pont de Saint Cloud", but I can't locate it on either the Google map or satellite photo. At one time, I thought it situated on the river south of Trocadero/Effiel Tower, because the river bank there is named "Quay de Louis Bleriot", but I now know I was wrong--that location is well within the Paris city limits. I understand that the Bleriot PX was abandoned in the late 50s when a new facility, "Bel Manoir" opened. I'd appreciate any help you can give.
PatEucom

Lexington, KY

#2508 Feb 7, 2013
John Beard wrote:
Swallowing my 79 year-old pride--Can anyone who served in France during the 1950s, tell me where Bleriot, known affectionately as "the Big PX" was located [Street/Boundary]. I know it was on the Seine, in or near Saint Cloud [Paris suburb], on the west/left bank of the river. It may have been near the bridge, "Pont de Saint Cloud", but I can't locate it on either the Google map or satellite photo. At one time, I thought it situated on the river south of Trocadero/Effiel Tower, because the river bank there is named "Quay de Louis Bleriot", but I now know I was wrong--that location is well within the Paris city limits. I understand that the Bleriot PX was abandoned in the late 50s when a new facility, "Bel Manoir" opened. I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Bleriot was abig PX and the place where we could buy American clothing,toiletries etc.It was an old French aviation building.BLERIOT AERONAUTIQUE at SURESNES.It was named for early French aviation Pioneer Louis Bleriot.My husband and I were staioned at Camp Des Loges form 1956-1958.We lived in Villnennes sur Seine.They are NW of Paris.Bleriot was not too far from us.It had limited parking and we owned a reanult 4CV so we could usually find a small spot to park.We didn't drive too far from DesLoges so I think Bleriot was West of Paris.N.or S.,not sur.I don't reall ever going NE of Paris.So I ruled that out.Still searching and good luck to you.Yes,the Seine seemed to factor in also.
JOHN LUCAS

Columbia, MD

#2509 Feb 7, 2013
Dear Anita:

As a Fontainebleau Caserne Lariboisiere Avon alumni, I enjoyed your post.

Regarding your "citizenship" question: why not ask the so called experts at the French Embassy: http://www.ambafrance-us.org/

Bonne chance with that.
Anita Fortin wrote:
I was born in 1960 in Fountainbleu. My father was in the Air Force as an accountant his name was Charles Ray Stokes. He died when I was very young. We left when I was four. My name was Anita Sandra Stokes. Can I have ciitizenship in France?
tomsimons

Humble, TX

#2510 Feb 8, 2013
PatEucom wrote:
<quoted text>Bleriot was abig PX and the place where we could buy American clothing,toiletries etc.It was an old French aviation building.BLERIOT AERONAUTIQUE at SURESNES.It was named for early French aviation Pioneer Louis Bleriot.My husband and I were staioned at Camp Des Loges form 1956-1958.We lived in Villnennes sur Seine.They are NW of Paris.Bleriot was not too far from us.It had limited parking and we owned a reanult 4CV so we could usually find a small spot to park.We didn't drive too far from DesLoges so I think Bleriot was West of Paris.N.or S.,not sur.I don't reall ever going NE of Paris.So I ruled that out.Still searching and good luck to you.Yes,the Seine seemed to factor in also.
I just googled Suresnes and found the general area it's in, all though I didn't find the building. It's close to north west from Paris just west of the Seine river and not to far from the route 14. tom

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Artesia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr I m back 20,179
Hillary Clinton - No good for America - She is ... 6 hr Adriana P 3
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 6 hr El Manda Mas 2,937
In the Old World, People... 8 hr Quebien 9
News Nearly 1,000 in L.A. join nationwide protests f... (Apr '15) 8 hr Ed Edn Eddy 2
Witnesses Claim 747 Turns Into Brownie (May '15) 8 hr Bobby Schutz 4
Golden Lantern Cafeteria - memory lane (Apr '08) 9 hr mindy 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Artesia Mortgages