EXTRA CONTENT: Knox Board of Educatio...

EXTRA CONTENT: Knox Board of Education votes to end 'reciprocal agreement' with Corbin Schools

There are 47 comments on the www.thenewsjournal.net story from Jan 17, 2010, titled EXTRA CONTENT: Knox Board of Education votes to end 'reciprocal agreement' with Corbin Schools. In it, www.thenewsjournal.net reports that:

Move sends shockwave of concern through many parents; could cost Corbin Schools over $500,000 annually A vote by Knox County Board of Education members to end an agreement that allows students in the district to attend Corbin schools, and vice versa, without paying tuition has sent shockwave of concern among parents and school leaders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.thenewsjournal.net.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LC GRAD

Winchester, KY

#1 Jan 17, 2010
I think that people should have the right to choose where thier children go to school. However, if you choose to live outside of the Corbin City school district... you have to pay for it. Knox County schools are losing over $500,000 a year and I do not blame them for wanting to end this agreement.

I would also like to say that I am bothered by the number of people that I went to school with that live in Knox County and choose to send thier kids to Corbin. Why do they feel this is what's best? People that were very involved... tons of school spirit.... people that I thought loved Lynn Camp. There are several professionals that graduated with me in the late 90's. I am tired of hearing about the educational concerns.... I think it comes down to parental support of the child. Knox County has low test scores in part because the parents look at school as getting rid of thier child for 7-8 hours a day. If Knox County had the backing of parents and community like Corbin, things would be a lot different. My kids are at West Knox I am seeing major improvements. The new principal is WONDERFUL! More and more parents are getting involved and it is making a difference!!!

The vote coming up doesn't affect me and my family.... I do however hope that Knox County will be able to get some of the money due them.
random

Middlesboro, KY

#2 Jan 17, 2010
i think uhm we shouldnt do this bc i still go to LC and live in corbin district and we aint got that kind of money. so then you'd be taking alot of kids from there friends
concerned

Somerset, KY

#3 Jan 17, 2010
well i could see kids going to school in knox county if they had good test scores but everybody wants the best for there kid and knox county is not it . i found out when my kid was 12 years old that she couldn't even read. that is why i took her out of knox county and started sending her to corbin. something is wrong with a school system when a child 12 years old can't read.
LC GRAD

Winchester, KY

#4 Jan 18, 2010
Let's see..... Your child was 12 before you discovered they couldn't read.... Who's fault is that again? It goes back to my previous comment.... Parental negligence is to blame in many cases. How can a school system who has hundreds of children focus on your child if you can't? I am not trying to mean but come on!
Corbin Parent

Winchester, KY

#5 Jan 18, 2010
This is not fair for our children. My child will be a senior next year and I can't afford the tuition. My child has attended Corbin since Kindergarten and wants to graduate with his friends. It's just not fair. Everything thing always comes down to money. The school district does not care about the kids in Knox County. I think parents should have had an opportunity to speak and not just be suprised by this after the fact and then there's nothing we can do.
KnoxParent

Brownsville, TN

#6 Jan 18, 2010
Corbin Parent wrote:
This is not fair for our children. My child will be a senior next year and I can't afford the tuition. My child has attended Corbin since Kindergarten and wants to graduate with his friends. It's just not fair. Everything thing always comes down to money. The school district does not care about the kids in Knox County. I think parents should have had an opportunity to speak and not just be suprised by this after the fact and then there's nothing we can do.
I feel for you. If the outcome doesnt change then maybe Corbin can offer payment plans for tuition or some kind of financial assistance like what they do with the lunch programs and other programs.
maybe

Ripley, TN

#7 Jan 18, 2010
Maybe, Just maybe corbin might pay off kc to keep the kids in corbin for you whinning people, that just can't pay it yourselves. Come on people send your kids to school in the county that you live in.
Move you sorry a$$e$ into city limits is what i say.
meeting

Somerset, KY

#8 Jan 18, 2010
they are having a meeting tonight at GRACE ON THE HILL in corbin at 7;oo
worried

Middlesboro, KY

#9 Jan 18, 2010
Isn't there any laws that allow keep our children from being uprooted from there school.
JUST A NOBODY

Gray, KY

#10 Jan 18, 2010
just think if your kids go to lynn camp and thier freshman or sophmore they can sleep the rest the way threw couse they have done past them up by two years maybe they will go ahead and let them graduate
yea

Somerset, KY

#11 Jan 18, 2010
this is for LCGrad you are taken up for a school that is getting ready to be taken over by the state . if it is such a good school at lynn camp tell me why there test scores are so low? don't blame it on the parents because they are not the teachers. you send your kids to school to learn to not to be dumb.
lol

Winchester, KY

#12 Jan 19, 2010
I graduated LC too. Crappy school, low test scores, and lack of education. That is why people send their kids to other schools.
WWGD

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 19, 2010
concerned wrote:
well i could see kids going to school in knox county if they had good test scores but everybody wants the best for there kid and knox county is not it . i found out when my kid was 12 years old that she couldn't even read. that is why i took her out of knox county and started sending her to corbin. something is wrong with a school system when a child 12 years old can't read.
" i found out when my kid was 12 years old that she couldn't even read."

Excuse me, do you travel a lot and not see your child on a daily basis? How could you possibly not know till the age of 12 that she could not read.My daughter is 13 and reading 300 plus pages books.
I wish I could take the credit but thank you Stephanie Myers.
lol

Winchester, KY

#14 Jan 19, 2010
WWGD wrote:
<quoted text>
" i found out when my kid was 12 years old that she couldn't even read."
Excuse me, do you travel a lot and not see your child on a daily basis? How could you possibly not know till the age of 12 that she could not read.My daughter is 13 and reading 300 plus pages books.
I wish I could take the credit but thank you Stephanie Myers.
unfortunately a disturbing trend has been developing in the last 30-40 years. As people become more dependent on the state they assume less responsibility themselves. If you are an addict you can't get clean without help. If you are overweight you can't get healthy without an operation.
The excepted idea now is that a parent is no longer responsible for any aspect of their children's lives. People expect the schools to teach em. The government to censor what they see on T.V. The Internet to entertain them, and the state to feed em. Discipline isn't even considered anymore for it does not exist in many homes.

This is how a parent wouldn't know their 12yr old couldn't read. They use the same excuse that they would when their 30 yr old has a heart attack in prison and dies.

They would say
"He had the heart attack because he was over weight. He was over weight because he didn't get the surgery. He was in prison because the government let to much violence get on t.v. and he wasn't smart enough to know the difference because the teachers didn't teach em anything."

Do you really expect em to say " I failed as a parent."?
Disinterested Party

Winchester, KY

#15 Jan 19, 2010
IMO...The Corbin folks are tickled with this decision. There have been far too many students coming in to the Corbin system and our test scores and student quality have fallen sharply. The real kicker is gonna be when Corbin raises the tuition to 3,600.00 per year, per child with a 25% discount for each additional sibling. The Corbin people are happy about this but wont act like it though.
think about it

Winchester, KY

#16 Jan 19, 2010
everyone wants to talk about test scores being low in Knox county....hmmmm you think all the money we are giving Corbin might be used to higher more educators and provide more programs such as tutoring for our knox county students.......and give them a better education. oh I guess no thought we needed any money to do that with.
Harvey Says

Somerset, KY

#17 Jan 19, 2010
Disinterested Party wrote:
IMO...The Corbin folks are tickled with this decision. There have been far too many students coming in to the Corbin system and our test scores and student quality have fallen sharply. The real kicker is gonna be when Corbin raises the tuition to 3,600.00 per year, per child with a 25% discount for each additional sibling. The Corbin people are happy about this but wont act like it though.
Your a little right but you need to finish the story as Paul Harvey always said. Your right on the money, it will no question rise to $3000 bucks or more very quickly. Your very wrong on the Corbin people being happy. A few may be happy but losing 200 kids at any school is bad news, period. As the kids go so goes the money.

You also wrong on the test scores, these same students are the one's that helped get Corbin in the top tier of schools in the nation. The loop holes that help Corbin or any school fudge numbers have closed so the test scores will not be quite as great as in the past.The scores at Corbin are still pretty darn good.

You also forgot to mention that two of the three counties around Corbin has now canceled reciprocol agreements with Corbin, look for Whitley to follow suit very soon. Once this happens Corbin will be surrounded and land locked. Your tax's will never go down and there is no way parents will send their kids to Corbin for $3800 dollars. Whitley & Laurel have excellent systems now so the loser in the end will be Corbin.

One thing is a fact, keep losing students in a small school like Corbin means losing money. Getting yourself land locked and losing money will have severe consequenses to any school, business, entity. Anyone happy to see $$$$$ walk away in the middle of a recession won't be in business to many more years.

No Money, No School.
lol

Winchester, KY

#18 Jan 19, 2010
think about it wrote:
everyone wants to talk about test scores being low in Knox county....hmmmm you think all the money we are giving Corbin might be used to higher more educators and provide more programs such as tutoring for our knox county students.......and give them a better education. oh I guess no thought we needed any money to do that with.
I'm sorry I was under the impression that it is up to the teachers and parents to teach children. I went to Lynn Camp and we had plenty of teachers, a great football team, a choir, FFA, DECA, and my class founded a student bank. Problem is not money. The problem is that out of every 10 teachers 8 suck. The problem is that parents are totally dependant on the teachers of which 8 out of 10 suck. The reason LC and KC don't get the funding is because that funding is based on scores. It was supposed to be motivation for schools and teachers to try harder. Instead it has just given them an excuse to fail.

Its because of the teachers AND parents. Has nothing to do with money. How can you tell me that a 12 yr old not being able to read is because the school didn't get enough money. Honestly how much does a book cost?
chill out

Winchester, KY

#19 Jan 19, 2010
kids will love LC and WK
lol

Winchester, KY

#20 Jan 19, 2010
After reading this post again I see my previous statement has been proven. The ones blaming the teachers are saying that its not a parents responsibility. The ones complaining about the schools not having money think it should come from the state, the county, well pretty much anywhere other than themselves.

Everyone is placing the blame on someone else.
Apparently no one is at fault and the money should magically appear. Weird huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Artemus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot barbourville cop? 2 min Badge bunny 1
Flat Lick Ball Coach Devin Mills 9 min Being Real 17
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min Mike Duquette 143,047
Little Rick out looking for little boys 38 min Moose Farmer 15
Judge executive 52 min Hotrod 2
looking for fun 57 min Darren west 3
Barbourville nursing home. 59 min Family 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Artemus Mortgages