Wheeling, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2007

Judged:

Anyone remember the classy nightlife that used to exist in downtown New Kensington?

I remember the Lateus Club and the Batchelors Club. Both were like big city night clubs. I also can remember the great food at the Kenmar Hotel. Lentil soup was a favorite.

Anybody remember the good old days in NK?
Georgia Mannarino

Wheeling, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Judged:

I remember the Batchlors Club very well. What a time it was in downtown NK. Its was elegant and you would never know who you might run into.

The Coffee Shop at the Kenmar was incredibly busy with clattering dishes and long waits for tables at all hours of the day or night. Sometimes I dream about going back and ordering a club sandwich and a bowl of soup.
Georgia Mannarino

Wheeling, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

Judged:

I can also remember the Melody Restaurant where the food was good but the numbers action was better. How about the "store that didn't sell anything" on fifth avenue. It was a cigar store with tons of people hanging around but no inventory of cigars.

Those were the golden years in downtown NK.
Bob Rodgers

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2007

I went into that "store that didn't sell anything" once. They had a few magazines on display and I wanted to buy a magazine. But the ones they had were years old! Ha Ha
the guys who "worked" there just looked at me funny, and I left.
Anthony

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2007

I wish i was around in the good ol days of new ken all i can do is listen 2 stories from my parents but i hear it was called lil chicago,,,n look at it now...N O Geogia u wouldnt b related 2 the late "kelly" Mannarino would u?
Georgia Mannerino

Kane, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Judged:

Anthony--

Yes, I am related to Kelly Mannerino. He was my Uncle Gabriel. I can't speak more about him at this point due to my book contract with Random House. Look for my book in bookstores in late 2008. It's a tellall about the importance of New Kensington. You'll learn about JFK and RFK and their crooked old man, Fidel Castro, Jimmy Hoffa, Frank Sinatra, and Ethel Merman. My story will connect all of these people with New Kensington.
Anthony

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Thats a book id love 2 read. Your uncle was real stand up guy from what i hear. I wish we had sum1 like him now all we got is ciancutti's lil drug ring , i know that was ur uncles right hand man but i think the drugs need 2 b kept out of r city n then the dealers would go elsewhere , but this is 2007 not many solid guys left.

Since: Nov 07

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

Do you have a title for that book? I'd love to buy it. I think the "mob" (excuse the expression) kept the town a lot safer.
My grandmother lived in New Ken until she died in the late 50's. She'd go to a fruit stand on 10th once a week and play a 'number'. When she got sick, the "mob" brought her a lot of food and stuff. Kind of a local benevalence (sp?) society.
steve paulovich Cabot Pa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Bob Rodgers- the store that didn't sell anything was Burgarts Newstand next to the old Ritz theater -they had a trap door that led to a gambling room downstairs (I was told)A pin ball machine was set on top of it & moved when there was some activity going on down there --it was owned by Jim Burgart who later on opened the Golf Oasis on Greensburgh Rd
Anthony

Indiana, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

well they had the golden triangle club or whatever it was called cant remember exactly but that was a gamblimg club n it even got raided ...n 1 of the owners was found shot 2 death on a farm up in deer lakes or way up on 7th st. i cant remember those details so well either
Angelique

Kane, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

Judged:

That man was Abe Zied who ran that club and allegedly was shot for squealing. He ended up on his attorney's farm with a bullet in him. Nice folks!
Margie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

The gambling club was Triangle Billiards, Barnes St. Abe Zeid was found on his attorney's farm, Washington Co., Pa. Could there have been someone else associated with Triangle Billiards found dead in Deer Lakes or 7th St. area, as Anthony remembers?
Pat Kane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

Judged:

Georgia Mannerino wrote:
Anthony--
Yes, I am related to Kelly Mannerino. He was my Uncle Gabriel. I can't speak more about him at this point due to my book contract with Random House. Look for my book in bookstores in late 2008. It's a tellall about the importance of New Kensington. You'll learn about JFK and RFK and their crooked old man, Fidel Castro, Jimmy Hoffa, Frank Sinatra, and Ethel Merman. My story will connect all of these people with New Kensington.
Hi Georgia,

Do you have a title for the book as yet. I would love to read it. I lived in town in the 50's and 60's. I would really love to get the book when it comes out.
John France

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Georgia Mannerino wrote:
Anthony--
Georgia, I hope you mentioned Kelly's best friend, Joe Sonken, in your book.
John

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

Georgia,

I hope you mentioned your Uncle Kelly's best friend, Joe Sonken, in your book. They were like brothers.
mar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Judged:

Kelly and Gabe are two different people.
hummmmpppppffff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Judged:

glorifying a bunch of thugs
Margie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2008

Judged:

mar wrote:
Kelly and Gabe are two different people.
Gabe and Kelly are one in the same person, Gabriel "Kelly" Mannarino.

Since: Nov 07

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Judged:

The store I am thinking of was not near the theater. It was on Fifth between 8th and 9th.
steve

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2008

Bob Rodgers wrote:
The store I am thinking of was not near the theater. It was on Fifth between 8th and 9th.
I think you are talking about (GEORGES NEWSTAND)if I'm correct it was owned by George Rodites- I think they had a small lunch counter there

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of9,572
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Arnold Discussions

Search the Arnold Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 18 min parsecsam 51,251
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) 21 min parsecsam 1,662
"bit coin" Wed RICHARD 7
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Wed easy 1,586
“memories only” of new kensington and local areas (Jan '10) Apr 13 parsecsam 1,718
Pick a word for Obama Apr 8 RICHARD 35
"new kensington's future" Apr 8 S Hannity 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Arnold Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Arnold People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE