Farmers Market vs small business owners

Farmers Market vs small business owners

Posted in the Arnold Forum

Families are Forever

Kansas City, MO

#1 Oct 11, 2013
Let us all support the small business owners of Arnold and throughout Jefferson County. Right here in Arnold we have an excellent produce vendor/market...the Orlando Family Produce. It is a fine market and the owners work hard and strive to bring the best products to your table at great prices too. They are not like the big businesses such as Schnucks, etc....they are a local family with children who want to serve you and your family as well as their own. I appreciate the kind individual service from their small market....they even have had handicap customers drive up in their cars and they will go to their car to take an order request and bring their goods back to the car. They will carry heavy items and bags for the elderly to their car too. This market truly serves their customers and deserves our support. Occassionly Mother Nature slips in a bad apple or watermelon unbeknowst to the buyer until it is cut into....and if this happens ....and only on rare occassions has it....I just bring back the item.....and they will replace the bad item without question. This is the produce market in Arnold to support (and by the way...I learned the owner built his market by himself....sweat equity...and on NO Tax dollars or one red cent of our taxes. But you betcha...he has to pay taxes to Arnold and the State as well....so please ...lets again support small business owners no matter what the business is before corporate businesses.

Letusnamenames

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#2 Oct 12, 2013
Families are Forever wrote:
Let us all support the small business owners of Arnold and throughout Jefferson County. Right here in Arnold we have an excellent produce vendor/market...the Orlando Family Produce. It is a fine market and the owners work hard and strive to bring the best products to your table at great prices too. They are not like the big businesses such as Schnucks, etc....they are a local family with children who want to serve you and your family as well as their own. I appreciate the kind individual service from their small market....they even have had handicap customers drive up in their cars and they will go to their car to take an order request and bring their goods back to the car. They will carry heavy items and bags for the elderly to their car too. This market truly serves their customers and deserves our support. Occassionly Mother Nature slips in a bad apple or watermelon unbeknowst to the buyer until it is cut into....and if this happens ....and only on rare occassions has it....I just bring back the item.....and they will replace the bad item without question. This is the produce market in Arnold to support (and by the way...I learned the owner built his market by himself....sweat equity...and on NO Tax dollars or one red cent of our taxes. But you betcha...he has to pay taxes to Arnold and the State as well....so please ...lets again support small business owners no matter what the business is before corporate businesses.
I would patronize then but I hit a spell where I got bad tomatoes from them three times in a row. Looked perfect on the outside but blackish and yucky on the inside. That's when I quit. I figured three strikes and your out. I now get my tomatoes from the small house based sellers. They are a lot better.
Lizzie

Arnold, MO

#3 Oct 12, 2013
Orlando's Produce at Jeffco and Tenbrook always have a good selection of fresh produce. Mom and Pop stores are the anchor of this area.
Nutzy Schmutzman

Arnold, MO

#4 Oct 12, 2013
Orlando is fine but not a farmers market. Apples and oranges. Literally.
Nutzy Schmutzman

Arnold, MO

#5 Oct 12, 2013
Farmers markets sell local produce grown by the vendors. Orlando does not follow that model.
Support Sm Businesses

Prairie Village, KS

#6 Feb 10, 2014
Orlando`s Family Produce remains a great place for your produce needs. Not all items can be obtained from local farmers because in reality we do not have many actual true farmers which grow an abundant crop to supply the entire ares needs. However....I have enjoyed their Campbell MO peaches several times over. They have a peach grower who depivers to them and they have driven to their peach grove as well to bringus the best. The watermelons are from MO too...and again they often drive to the farmers patch and have picked the melons (and pumpkins in the fall) themselves. Is there a bad tomatoe in the basket....sometimes....and let them knowand bring back the rest....and they will make good. As far as selection...spring and summmer of course is the best which is natural for an open air market.Just like produce....there is seasonal trends. But most of all is the utmost service and courtesy they have for us, their regulars and the elderly.
interested

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Feb 10, 2014
I agree. I think the sm business don't stand half a chance in this economy!. I am willing to try them. I have shopped at Imperial Produce for years. Do you all take EBT? That helps a lot. Glad you put the word out. Didn't even realize there was another produce store.
Acronyms

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Feb 10, 2014
interested wrote:
I agree. I think the sm business don't stand half a chance in this economy!. I am willing to try them. I have shopped at Imperial Produce for years. Do you all take EBT? That helps a lot. Glad you put the word out. Didn't even realize there was another produce store.
What is EBT?
Spectator

Arnold, MO

#9 Feb 10, 2014
EBT= Foodstamps
Love Orlando Produce

Kansas City, MO

#10 May 16, 2014
interested wrote:
Sorry....they dont have EBT as yet. They do operate by cash, check or credit card. They also at times have things on the side corner marked down some...like bananas with sugar spots which are great for baking banana bread or tomatoes with some spots that are great for salsa making. They are a young local family with three kids trying to make a go of it in business and actually care about the service they render.
Lizze

Arnold, MO

#11 May 17, 2014
Arnold Farmers Market has only one true farmer: Stuckmeyer's. Terry Long has a version. The others are not farmers so it's good to go to Orlando's.

Saint Louis, MO

#12 May 17, 2014
FYI Orlando's has several locations DeSoto and Festus to name a couple of others, don't think they are in Hillsboro anymore. They are all affiliated and run by members of the same family and not a "farmers market" they buy all of their produce from produce row in St Louis just like everyone else. Nice people just throwing this out there before one of you nominate them for sainthood!
Not Surprised at All

Gadsden, AL

#13 May 18, 2014
Acronyms wrote:
<quoted text>
What is EBT?
EBT is free food that the rest of us taxpayers are paying for.
Such Crap

Saint Louis, MO

#14 May 19, 2014
That is BS about the market only having one true farmer. There are several there, at least 7-8 of the vendors are homegrowing on their land. Stuckmeyers is the biggest which probably doesn't mean the best. Sorry to burst your bubble. Good grief.
Guest is correct about Orlando, they purchase from Produce Row, they do not grow their own. True farmers markets have farmers who grow their own and Arnold is a true farmers market. No Produce Row allowed.
huh

Chesapeake, OH

#15 May 19, 2014
Its fruits and veggies people who gives a flying cluck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arnold Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking (Aug '15) 4 hr big dick 3
Topix Moderators Sad Policy 7 hr Mod 4
Lemay Black Women And Welfare 22 hr Stan is a moron 5
Topix Freedom of Speech Sun Martin King 1
Topix Moderator Song...Very Awesome Sun Loser 3
Topix Moderators Lose Again Sun Loser 3
Evictionpros Sun Mom is slut 7

Arnold Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance