Nepotism on Fox schoolboard
Thinking

United States

#2149 Jun 15, 2013
Sam Ferry wrote:
I bumped into a board member last weekend, both our families were out doing things and we saw each other. I extended my hand and thanked him for the part he played in the new nepotism policy. He was very humble and basically said thet were trying to do the right thing.
I also spoke with both Holloway and Kroupa at the first board meeting where they were being "briefed" by the existing board and super on board policy, etc. They both told me to my face that one of the first things they would bring up if they got elected was a change in the Nepotism policy. Let us give credit to where it is due! Holloway and Kroupa were instrumental in reversing that policy. No voting Newmann and Nicholas out, no voting Holloway and Kroupa in = no new policy!
Was the 'very humble' Board Member one of the old or new Board members?
Sam Ferry

Maryland Heights, MO

#2150 Jun 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Was the 'very humble' Board Member one of the old or new Board members?
Well asked. New.
Steve

United States

#2151 Jun 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it seems unlikely that Mr Smith has served on the BOE for over 6 years, and has waited until now to act on the nepotism issue. It's more likely that the two NEW BOE members initiated the new nepotism policy, and that Mr Smith is trying to take the credit.
First, I don't think Smith or anyone thought hiring qualified relatives was a problem UNTIL the public said this is something they wanted stopped. WHERE WAS THE PUBLIC OUTCRY PRIOR TO THIS????

Second, it is ONLY when you are president that you control the agenda. There have been other things Mr. Smith has brought up but could not get going because he was not president. I think you will see some of these changes being implemented this year as well.

Dan told me that he had a nepotism policy on paper BEFORE the 2 new members ever sat down in their chairs so I hardly believe they had the influence you say. The "PEOPLE" did have influence and I believe if you talk to Mr. Smith you will continue to have influence. He has always listened to me(doesn't always agree with me).

Last, I believe Dan is not running again, so what does he care who gets the "credit"? I believe he just wants to do the right thing.
No Fool

Arnold, MO

#2152 Jun 16, 2013
So you think all the board members and the administration thought it was perfectly OK to hire friends and relatives, even though they purposely circumvented the DESE and had a board member step out so they didn't cast a vote? That is called finagling. Wangling around a known rule to get what you want.
If it was on paper, all he had to do was talk about it publicly, it would have made it to the agenda. Remember something is either right or it is wrong, and hiring relatives was wrong and needed to be stopped. Are you saying the other board presidents REFUSED to talk about nepotism and correcting the problem? Name them and the instances they refused to bring it forward!
Are you saying because Dan is not running for school board again, everyone should shut up about his failure to bring this up until now? Are you saying knowing relatives of board members were being hired for positions is OK as long as the rest of the board goes along with it? Same for friends, boyfriends and relatives of the super getting hired or promoted, as long as the board goes along with it, it is OK in your book?
There has been public complaint about this practice for years, the board thumbed their noses at those who complained. This would never have been brought up if many more had not drummed up the attention. Until it is passed, it is not a done deal, so don't stop watching just yet.
I will bet there are many relatives that were hired that have not been exposed to public scrutiny, that still could happen. You would be hard pressed to find many board members past or present who don't have relatives within the fourth degree working for the district. Genealogy is a great thing.
You seem pretty insistent on Dan not running again, but he will be running for something else or working in another educational venue and needs to learn from his mistake. Don't fall into the political favor system, once the first lie is told, it gets harder and harder to make it right, because the lie to cover it up is even bigger. It's like a pebble in a snowball and eventually that snowball melts and everyone finds out about the pebble. In the future hire people because they actually meet the qualifications, not because of whose friend or relative they are.

“Funny lady”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2153 Jun 16, 2013
On the Jaco Report on Fox2 this morning Elliott Davis got into the Fox School District mess. He ripped into the superintendent pretty darn good
No Fool

Arnold, MO

#2154 Jun 16, 2013
Red 5

Saint Louis, MO

#2155 Jun 16, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong, as usual. Smith is not looking for any kind of redemption. He is as he always has been, trying to do what is best. I have talked to him at length on this matter and the thing you DO NOT UNDERSTAND is how boards work and how the people who are on these boards are trained.
And second, Smith is the one to put nepotism on the agenda. He is the ONLY one who can (along with the Superintendent). The other board members can ask for something to be put on the agenda but that does not mean it will be put on there. Dan told me he asked many times of the past presidents to put something on the agenda and was refused.
So, you need to dig deeper to find out how things work and understand them better. As I stated in the past, call Dan, he will be happy to sit down and talk with anyone regarding the BOE.
I understand how good Boards work. I've served on them. I've watched others. Good ones don't sit stony faced and refuse to reply on the record when their constituents ask questions at meetings. Good ones hold people like Dianne and Todd accountable when they make ridiculous mistakes. Good ones don't run from reporters. Good ones don't get hammered at the polls on election day. This board is not a good one.

"Sitting down and talking to me" off the record means nothing. Until Smith puts a motion on the agenda to conduct an independent investigation of the hiring processes and procedures that resulted in the BQ, the head nurse and the new assistant superintendant being added to the payroll he deserves nothing. Until he addresses the culture of fear and intimidation at Fox he's no better than the last BOE president.
Sam Ferry

Maryland Heights, MO

#2156 Jun 16, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I don't think Smith or anyone thought hiring qualified relatives was a problem UNTIL the public said this is something they wanted stopped. WHERE WAS THE PUBLIC OUTCRY PRIOR TO THIS????
Yep.......it's the public's fault alright! No one ever let us know this was wrong. I suppose if voters and employees never personally told you that stealing was wrong then the board would not know that doing it may be a problem!
Anyway your claim is false either way..........
Posted by Shocked Dec. 13 2010:
I am completely shocked by these posts. I thought that everyone in Missouri already knew that the Fox School District runs an unfair game. In fact, if you google the word NEPOTISM there is a picture of Diane Brown and all of her family members standing in front of the Fox Administration Building.
Trust me I am all for the "small town girl makes good" story. And, what she does in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom.(I don't want Uncle Sam peeking in my house.) HOWEVER, SHARE THE WEALTH SISTER. Let someone else have a job beside your siblings, nieces, nephews, godchildren, former classmates, etc. Your family isn't the only family in Missouri who deserves job opportunity and job security. I am sure that many "EQUALLY OR MORE SO QUALIFIED" applicants have submitted resumes to climb onboard your golden ship.
In her defense, she is not the lone ranger. The entire school board should also be held accountable. Afterall, didn't they also help create this situation?? How about EVERYONE involved prepare a resume and reapply for their jobs, along with the general public? Hire an outside human resource agency and may the best applicant win
This is among hundreds of posts that clearly state the public outcry! The public has been crying out for fairness for years, and Mr. weak willed board member knows it! Now that we have eliminated me personally and the public who do we blame next little Stevie wonder?
hey

United States

#2157 Jun 16, 2013
Red 5 wrote:
<quoted text>I understand how good Boards work. I've served on them. I've watched others. Good ones don't sit stony faced and refuse to reply on the record when their constituents ask questions at meetings. Good ones hold people like Dianne and Todd accountable when they make ridiculous mistakes. Good ones don't run from reporters. Good ones don't get hammered at the polls on election day. This board is not a good one.

"Sitting down and talking to me" off the record means nothing. Until Smith puts a motion on the agenda to conduct an independent investigation of the hiring processes and procedures that resulted in the BQ, the head nurse and the new assistant superintendant being added to the payroll he deserves nothing. Until he addresses the culture of fear and intimidation at Fox he's no better than the last BOE president.
Who is the new asst super related to?
Hey

Saint Louis, MO

#2158 Jun 16, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm "hey", you can' be "hey. Change your name.
hey

Saint Louis, MO

#2159 Jun 17, 2013
Hey wrote:
<quoted text>I'm "hey", you can' be "hey. Change your name.
I'm lower case hey.
Hay

Saint Louis, MO

#2160 Jun 17, 2013
I think both of you are a bit too close to my name. You should both change your name.
Hey

Saint Louis, MO

#2161 Jun 17, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm lower case hey.
You have millions of names to choose. I don't want your comments associated with me. It's creepy of you to use the same name, no matter what case.
Hay

Saint Louis, MO

#2162 Jun 17, 2013
Yeah!!! You weirdo!
Red 5

Saint Louis, MO

#2163 Jun 17, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I know he's not related to anyone on the Fox BOE. He is, however, extremely close to the $208,000 DeSoto paid him to go away. It just makes me suspicious whenever Todd and Dianne ignore (in this case 6) qualified internal candidates and award the job to yet another outsider who was "by far" the best candidate.
embarrassedtaxpa yer

Saint Louis, MO

#2164 Jun 17, 2013
Red 5 wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I know he's not related to anyone on the Fox BOE. He is, however, extremely close to the $208,000 DeSoto paid him to go away. It just makes me suspicious whenever Todd and Dianne ignore (in this case 6) qualified internal candidates and award the job to yet another outsider who was "by far" the best candidate.
That is what scares the hell out of me when you have Todd and Dianne making these decisions. That's what both said about the UNQUALIFIED FOOD SERVICE DIRECTOR HIRE. "By far the best canidate" which Everyone knows is a Ridiculous LIE. I believe the REJECT from Desoto is Crutchlys Buddy. I still can't believe they hired him after the FQ disaster. The baggage he brings to this ADMINISTRATION will fit in with their bulling/arrogant style of management.
Hay

Saint Louis, MO

#2165 Jun 17, 2013
Red 5 wrote:
<quoted text>As far as I know he's not related to anyone on the Fox BOE. He is, however, extremely close to the $208,000 DeSoto paid him to go away. It just makes me suspicious whenever Todd and Dianne ignore (in this case 6) qualified internal candidates and award the job to yet another outsider who was "by far" the best candidate.
6??? Who were these candidates?
dis

Imperial, MO

#2166 Jun 17, 2013
Hay wrote:
<quoted text>6??? Who were these candidates?
I don't know who all of them were, but Tammy Cardona and Don Grimshaw were 2 of the 6.
Red 5

Saint Louis, MO

#2167 Jun 17, 2013
Voice_of_a_Teacher wrote:
While I'm sure it doesn't make her feel any better our assistant food service director now has company. She was passed over for the top spot so the unqualified but "enthusiastic" daughter-in-law of Linda Nash could be hired. Now at least three inside candidates for assistant superintendent can sympathize after they were passed over so a guy from Desoto who was paid $200K to go away could be hired.
Hay, my apologies. I thought it was six but when I went back to check my source, the guy from DeSoto was "by far" better than three internal Fox candidates.
Addit

United States

#2168 Jun 17, 2013
What about the hiring of an admin staff son as head elem librarian over more qualified applicants. Sam, check that out for us. Heard his interview did not go as well as other applicants, but was given the job any way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arnold Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Which Fireworks Stand Has the Best Deals/Prices? (Jun '09) 2 hr LIBERAL IDIOT 26
Fox C6 Board of Education : Discussion (Jun '14) Thu Eileen 1,472
Mehlville Jun 25 la_verdad_esta_en_mi 1
new police officer? (Sep '13) Jun 25 Wow 18
Water Tower Dental Group Jun 25 No More Wisdom 7
Fox 2 News anna elise parks lookalike Stratford... Jun 22 Talk 2
Spingdale Pool & Bar Jun 22 arnold boy 2

Arnold Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arnold Mortgages