Administrators in Fox School District...

Administrators in Fox School District forfeit their own pay raises for teachers

There are 51 comments on the www.ksdk.com story from Apr 13, 2010, titled Administrators in Fox School District forfeit their own pay raises for teachers. In it, www.ksdk.com reports that:

Would you sacrifice your pay so that someone else could get paid more? Or better yet, could keep their job? That's what's happening in the Fox School District in Arnold, Missouri.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ksdk.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
me dad U not

United States

#1 Apr 13, 2010
Thats very nice of them. supers making a quarter of a million dollars a year gave up their raises. What happened, did greed final catch up to you.
I am broke and jobless

AOL

#2 Apr 13, 2010
Well bless there hearts
Dont know

Lake Ozark, MO

#3 Apr 15, 2010
I don't know if this is true or not but it has been said to me that Dr. Brown was offered another Job for a different district last year and was offered a higher amount of pay to stay with Fox. Something to the tune of 20,0000.00 give or take a few. So if that is true why wouldn't she give up her little 6,000.00 or so to make it look good.
right thing

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Apr 15, 2010
bottom line she did the right thing during these times of corporate greed
good for her is she was offered a new job with more money and she stayed
is that because the district is doing well and in good hands
i have children in the district and believe it is quite strong for education and one of the best

Since: Mar 08

Arnold Mo.

#5 Apr 15, 2010
All of the administrators deserve credit for giving up their raises.
I don't know what Diane Brown makes but since she went through the Fox School System she probably wants to stay here.
You hit the nail on the head right thing. Diane Brown gave up a large pay raise due to the economy.
I wonder how many people would be willing to give up a large pay raise. Not many.
me dad U not

United States

#6 Apr 15, 2010
Because she gave up a $6,000.00 a year on her over $200,000. year job she should not be held up high. what about the $9.00 per hour janitor that is geting a raises less that 15 cents an hout because of budget cuts. That janitor is more a hero than anyone. How do raise a family on that? And do we need that many Supers? all making over $150,000.00 per year. Hell the President Of the United States of America Makes $400,00.00 per year.
If they are so concerned about budgets they could start cuts with that joke of program "Bridges". Pushing Illiterate kids through school so you can pat yourself on the back for having a low drop out rate is a discrace.
me dad U not

United States

#7 Apr 15, 2010
O' and my company has been on pay freezes for over 1 1/2 years just to keep things afloat, but I didnt call the media to jump up and down and scream look at me, look at me, I am awsome.
And God said "any man that does charity work so he can stand before his church and give himself praise, has done no good deeds.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 16, 2010
Many schools are facing difficult times now. They are dealing with shortfalls in many different ways, and it is all over the news.

With Fox being one of the largest districts in the St.Louis Area, it is understandable that they would release how they are trying to handle the three million dollar shortage this year.

The pay freeze will only cover part of it, but it is nice to know that the administration looked at this option along with the other tough cuts that will need to be made.

Arnold Mo.

#9 Apr 16, 2010
me dad U not wrote:
Because she gave up a $6,000.00 a year on her over $200,000. year job she should not be held up high. what about the $9.00 per hour janitor that is geting a raises less that 15 cents an hout because of budget cuts. That janitor is more a hero than anyone. How do raise a family on that? And do we need that many Supers? all making over $150,000.00 per year. Hell the President Of the United States of America Makes $400,00.00 per year.
If they are so concerned about budgets they could start cuts with that joke of program "Bridges". Pushing Illiterate kids through school so you can pat yourself on the back for having a low drop out rate is a discrace.
I'm not sure that Diane Brown makes %200,000 a year but regardless she makes a very good salary. She worked very hard and spent alot of money getting a higher education to earn this money.
I wish I could have made that much but the truth is I did not have the education to so. You speak of the $9.00 and hour janitors. Like me, he/she decided not to go for a higher education. I think most janitors make more than that but even if they don't you cannot blame the administrators because they chose to get a higher education to earn a good living.
By the way I believe Dianes father worked in one of the South County Schools and he wasn't a teacher or administrator. He managed to support a large family and buy a home on his salary.
There is nothing wrong with the administrators making this public.
Good for them as this could save something like the Band program or a sports program for the year.
right thing

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Apr 16, 2010
to: me dad u not,
do not be mad due to someone salary
commend them for doing something good and making a good decision
it is not personal
it is respectable in this day of greed
maybe her decision allowed for the 15-cent raise?
maybe her decision kept an employee on the permanent payroll?
maybe her decision kept a part time employee on the payroll
she obviously considered others in her decision and set a good example and her staff followed the lead.
Im a mom

Lake Ozark, MO

#11 Apr 16, 2010
Shirley I really don't care how much schooling you get, a person that does labor work does far more then Ms. Brown sitting at a desk. Maybe somedays are a little more stressful for her then others but please don't kid yourself into thinking she does more then the janitor.

As far as the teachers go how about lets get rid of all the teachers of our district that the teachers kids don't want. I don't really think it sends a good message to us parents when teachers kids, some that don't even live in our school district get the "pick" teachers and all the rest of us just fall in behind someplace. To me the message is the teachers kids are better then mine so I get second hand chop. This needs to stop. If the teachers kids don't want a teacher then I shouldn't get stuck with any other teacher also. My kids are just as good and as a matter of fact behave better then half of the teachers kids do.

These teachers need to start dressing like they are professionals instead of kids. In my opinion jeans and t-shirts should not be worn by teachers unless it is a specail day such as a field trip. They look just like one of the kids but want more respect.??????

I believe some of the teachers we have are there just to earn a paycheck. Others are there because they love thier jobs and really put the extra effort out. Kudos to them.

Another thing that bugs me is the MAP testing. What a bunch of crap. Tax dollars are all that is worried about over these things. Our children spend weeks on reviewing what they will be tested on. Shouldn't this test be given to find out what the children have retained from being taught the first time. How well the teachers are teaching and the kids are retaining? I really just hate this. It makes as much sense as the bridges program at fox. That program needs such a work over. It is not right for my child to have to do all kinds of work to graduate when you are going to just basically pass those kids through the system. Just to get your drop out rate lowered.

Ok I'm done b*t*hing.lol

Arnold Mo.

#12 Apr 16, 2010
Im a mom
Yes people that work in the labor field do work hard physically. I know about labor as my hubby worked in the auto industy for years. Diane Brown is in charge one of the largest school districts and is responsible for every school in this district which cannot be an easy job. While it is not physical it is mental. Once again Diane Brown made a decision to invest a lot of money into her education and because of this she makes good money.
Now you say teachers get to pick and chose the teachers their kids get. I won't argue that point because I don't know much about that.
I will also agree that teacher should have some type of dress code except for special days. In fact I think they do.
Yes I am also sure that some teachers may be teaching just to earn a paycheck but others are there because they really want to be. As you said Kudos to those teachers.
Yep MAP testing is a pain not only for the kids but many teachers don't like it either. That is something the government requires not the teachers or administrators.
Not going to comment on the Bridges Program as I am not sure if it is a good program or a bad one.
Doris Borgelt

Fenton, MO

#13 Apr 16, 2010
me dad U not wrote:
No offense but it is the janitor's choice to be a janitor and to raise his family on $9.00 per hour. If you don't want to be a janitor, you find a way to be something else to make more money. That's the way the system works. You saying that Dr. Brown doesn't deserve to make whatever she does, well, proves how little regard you hold for education. If Dr. Brown were your daughter, you would be proud, correct?
I do agree with you on the Bridges program. I don't think a Mohawk is appropriate for a teacher seeking respect from students. Nothing says "I'm a loser," like being relegated to that program and standing out front of the building thinking they're cool. To most that enter the program it is a reward for their inablity to respect the students and teachers in the regular program. Same goes for the middle school and highschool kids smoking out on the corner of Jeffco and Tenbrook in clear sight of the DARE officer and a school administrator. Ultimately though, they are proving they have no respect for themselves and that is the sad part. Sometimes its their environment, but sometimes there is just no one that makes them accountable for their actions.
Dorie Borgelt

Arnold, MO

#14 Apr 16, 2010
We have finally agreed absolutely on some points. This was your best note in a while.
im a mom

Lake Ozark, MO

#15 Apr 16, 2010
Shirley I'd have to guess the state doesn't want the schools to spend two weeks on practicing to take the test. I think the test was made to test what each kids has retained and been taught for the year. Not to go over stuff that will be on the test so that all the kids do well because it was just taught again in short fashion to refresh their brains. This way if all of fox's kids do well the school gets more tax dollars. This is what is BS about it. I do think the kids should be tested each year to see if the teachers, kids and parents are meeting up to the requirements.( you will see I said parents) If they are not then something is wrong someplace. If you see a whole lot of kids from the same class not scoring up to snuff you'll know it is the teacher.

I guess I'm old fashion though, I still believe if a child gets poor grades they should be held back. If you flunk you flunk. None of this just pass them on stuff.
im a mom

Lake Ozark, MO

#16 Apr 16, 2010
Also Shirley, you should visit a school in your area and just see what kind of clothes these teachers put on. Far from any kind of professional outfits. When I say dress I mean dress in business wear. Not business causual, not jeans and t-shirts. Fridays or special days could be an exception. How about a tie for the men? Remember the days when teachers wore dresses and suits and the men wore ties and suits? This is what I am talking about. Most of the teachers look like they are kids trying to outdress each other. The principals on up are usually the ones dressing nice.
me dad U not

United States

#17 Apr 16, 2010
Im not complaining about DR. Brown making $209,000.00 per year. good for her! I am complaining about one of the highest paid school adminisrations in the state ( city-data.com ), producing crap programs like Bridges. Didnt Dr. Brown get a $20,000.00 per year pay increase to stay at fox plus a $6000.00 per year preformance raise. If she cares sooooo much turn down the $20,000.00 grand as well. And STOP celebrating because our dropout rate is low and school crime is down, etc. as parents of this district I know these stats are all BS. I pay for this school and I pay these administrators with MY tax money, and Im sick of paying for a cadillac and getting a ford.
Also I never said that Janitor's are better than anyone, nor are they less than anyone. I just said you dont see them running around town telling everyone how great they are.

Arnold Mo.

#18 Apr 16, 2010
im a mom wrote:
Also Shirley, you should visit a school in your area and just see what kind of clothes these teachers put on. Far from any kind of professional outfits. When I say dress I mean dress in business wear. Not business causual, not jeans and t-shirts. Fridays or special days could be an exception. How about a tie for the men? Remember the days when teachers wore dresses and suits and the men wore ties and suits? This is what I am talking about. Most of the teachers look like they are kids trying to outdress each other. The principals on up are usually the ones dressing nice.
I do not have a problems with a female teacher wearing a nice blouse and pair of slacks or a male teacher wearing a nice pair of slacks and shirt.
It has been many many years since male teachers have worn ties. My oldest sons teachers didn't all wear ties and he graduated over 20 years ago.
I do not believe they should wear jeans and T's.

Arnold Mo.

#19 Apr 16, 2010
im a mom

Fox is not the only school district that makes the kids study for the Map test. All of the schools do it. This is not the fault of the teacher, they are doing what they are told to do. To tell the truth I don't know what the state wants.

I will also agree that if you see an entire class with low grades it probably has something to do with the teacher. The teaching profession is no different than any other profession. Every profession has some bad apples.

I will agree that a child should be held back if they cannot do the work. If they cannot do lets say 3rd grade work common sense should tell the district they will not be able to do 4th grade work. Even if parents ask the district to hold a child back the school doesn't want to do it.

You seem so bitter when it comes to this school district I wonder if you have had problems?
Nick Venable

Eldon, MO

#20 Apr 16, 2010
Shirlav wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not have a problems with a female teacher wearing a nice blouse and pair of slacks or a male teacher wearing a nice pair of slacks and shirt.
It has been many many years since male teachers have worn ties. My oldest sons teachers didn't all wear ties and he graduated over 20 years ago.
I do not believe they should wear jeans and T's.
You are right, they didnt wear ties and business wear when I was in school. And it was over 30 years ago I graduated. Myself, with my kids I am less concerned with what the teachers wear (within reason), and more concerned with whether or not they TEACH. If a teacher wears jeans and a tshirt, but engages the students and teaches them, then good on him/her. My kids have had excellent teachers, and a few stinkers. I think my kids were given an opportunity for a great education in C-6, with the exception of technology. I think that this district is way paranoid and really needs to get updated in that area.
MAP test..... I believe it to be a flawed system for judging the schools, which severely limits a teachers ability to TEACH and engage the kids, because it forces teachers to 'teach to the test'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arnold Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fox C6 Board of Education : Discussion (Jun '14) 5 hr Sheepdog 1,468
Water Tower Dental Group 8 hr No More Wisdom 7
Fox 2 News anna elise parks lookalike Stratford... Wed Talk 2
Spingdale Pool & Bar Jun 22 arnold boy 2
25 people Arrested on Federal Meth Charges (Sep '13) Jun 22 Independent 57
News Which Fireworks Stand Has the Best Deals/Prices? (Jun '09) Jun 21 jylnmn USMC 22
Shangri-La Estates : Welcome to Jefferson Count... Jun 18 VeeBee 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arnold Mortgages