Who are your local "heroes"
My Opinion

AOL

#62 May 24, 2010
If you are serious and I think you are, seek help or pass the word to others, get helpers from some of the wonderful churches in Arnett. I would help more but I am not in WVa at this time. GOOD LUCK. I hate to think of anyone doing without a little final rememberance. P.S. I have got to buy one for that same Cemetary. I am working hard on it.
Becky

Beckley, WV

#63 May 24, 2010
I am very interest in raising money for tombstones. I have some good ideas for them. I've done a lot of research on the cemeteries locally & there is quite a few graves with no tombstones. It would be nice to get one for a lot of different ones. If u r interested in helping to do this please contact me at [email protected] & lets see what we can do, this would be a great summer project.
mobility

Oak Hill, WV

#64 May 27, 2010
Dennis Price ...hero !
pillhead

Beckley, WV

#65 May 27, 2010
Herman and James are my heros
from arnett

Beckley, WV

#66 May 27, 2010
my heroes from arnett that are still living are jackie ray lafferty, mabel bell, ann bailey, becky cook, patsy and james cook,duke and geraldine cantley,doris combs, and eddie and sarah massey
just to say

Beckley, WV

#67 May 29, 2010
there are alot of local hero from arnett there was alot from 40 yrs ago you know when i was little i use to go to arnett assemly people would have to stand outside there was a blue church bus run everywhere to pick up kids i love that church it taught me alot mary honaker was my teacher at one time and ray williams god was really in that church and always will be there in arnett when god touch the kids lifes inthat church it stay with them and you know why because these people that taught us was true god sent people to learn us about him and it will always be in our hearts there many has already went to be with our heavenly father and i know he said welcome my child i just thank god for the one he sent and taught me because i never forgot i love arnett just because i know god is yet in that place
beaners

United States

#68 Jul 27, 2010
Junior Milam has been through a lot lately, and he is such a good man. Bless his heart.
pfesser

Lynchburg, VA

#69 Sep 8, 2011
Annie Honaker was in my class all through grade school and high school. She was always my favorite; sweet, soft-spoken and kind. I didn't know her Dad was still living; I'll plan on stopping next time I'm through. Does he still live at the top of the hill? When I was at Mt. View I used to go out to the buses early and sit and talk with Ross and William Brown, and William was our softball coach. Great fellows. Is William still living at his old house?
pfesser

Lynchburg, VA

#70 Sep 8, 2011
I also saw something about Grace Brock. Is she ill? Where does she live now? I always thought the world of her and her brothers, Jim, George, Ross. I believe Ross got killed in a crane accident; is that right? Long time ago. I think there were others in the family but I can't remember.

Edna Wills. Most people don't know it, but she learned to fly in the 'twenties. She flew an old Piper Cub all over West Virginia. She always drove fast cars and drove them fast. She got stopped by the law somewhere on Coal River for speeding. The cop asked her where her flying license was and she said, "Right here!" and pulled it out. The cop laughed so hard he let her go. A real legend she was.
dlj

Beckley, WV

#71 Sep 8, 2011
The elder Grace Brock passed away last year. Gracie moved out of Arnett. I don't know where.
pfesser

Lynchburg, VA

#72 Sep 9, 2011
While I'm at it - does anyone know where another classmate of mine might be? Sallie Treadway (nee Hannah) She had a brother, Terry, who was also a friend of mine way back when. The last time I heard of her she was in Sophia I think.
Sorry - I guess this is not the thread to try and find old friends. Thanks.
abc123

Charleston, WV

#73 Sep 15, 2011
pfesser wrote:
While I'm at it - does anyone know where another classmate of mine might be? Sallie Treadway (nee Hannah) She had a brother, Terry, who was also a friend of mine way back when. The last time I heard of her she was in Sophia I think.
Sorry - I guess this is not the thread to try and find old friends. Thanks.
I think I saw Sally on Facebook..Have you tried there..hope you find her
Angie

Beckley, WV

#74 Oct 2, 2011
arnett girl wrote:
you know i also heard alot of people mis treated rob bailey.would have him work and not pay him and such.but im with all of u guys arnett certainly is a great place to live.i remember being little,about 20 yrs ago it seemed folks were so much closer then.its sad really.does anhone recall the flat branch christian school?i loved loved loved it.sorry to see it go.
I remember it. I went there for a year. I liked it when I went there.
abc123

Hansford, WV

#75 Oct 2, 2011
Angie wrote:
<quoted text>I remember it. I went there for a year. I liked it when I went there.
Sorry about the reply,someone has been using my screenname..I did not send the last reply.I don't know who has been using my screenname,but it has been going on for a while now
RC Follower

Oak Hill, WV

#76 Oct 2, 2011
There are a lot in Rock Creek too that are considered heroes too
bo webb

Oak Hill, WV

#77 Oct 3, 2011
Not a better human being than Glen Dale. When I was a kid just about everyone around Naoma had credit at Glen Dale's. Mining jobs tanked, and people were hurting bad. There was no Gov't help except what we called "coommodities" of powdered eggs, powdered milk, cheese, peanut butter. Glen Dale (as far as I know) never cut anyone's credit off. He was a man that truly cared about the people in this community. God bless Glen Dale Tabor, he is special. Times were really hard and he was a blessings to many.
naoma resident wrote:
Glen dale taber owner of what was tabers mkt naoma gave lotsa food out to people he figured wouldnt and couldnt ever pay him. He is a hero in my book.
Angie

Beckley, WV

#78 Oct 3, 2011
bo webb wrote:
Not a better human being than Glen Dale. When I was a kid just about everyone around Naoma had credit at Glen Dale's. Mining jobs tanked, and people were hurting bad. There was no Gov't help except what we called "coommodities" of powdered eggs, powdered milk, cheese, peanut butter. Glen Dale (as far as I know) never cut anyone's credit off. He was a man that truly cared about the people in this community. God bless Glen Dale Tabor, he is special. Times were really hard and he was a blessings to many.
<quoted text>
Yes he was. I rented off him a long time ago. You can't beat him for a landlord and he gave me credit as well which I paid but he didnt bug me about it he waited until I had it. A real good man. Is he still living?
yankee

Beckley, WV

#79 Oct 7, 2011
i am new to arnett, an i love it here an every one has made me feel leke family an this yank is here to stay so love me ok?
yankee

Beckley, WV

#80 Oct 7, 2011
i am new to arnett, i resently went to maryland to see my mom an bury her , it wasnt the happiest of times of my life but when i came back from there "iuse to call home" i now call arnett home i hope no one minds!every one has has made me feel at home an my moms dead hasnt been easy but a few of my family here not blood, has helped me a great deal thanks arnett!love ya becky cook.jrcook james cook jennifer rollins an many more thanks!i hope i didnt offend any one cause of any one i mention these people didnt do any thing to me so your opion isnt mine,ok!i love every one!even you..........rebels!
i live in arnett

Beckley, WV

#81 Oct 7, 2011
yankee wrote:
i am new to arnett, an i love it here an every one has made me feel leke family an this yank is here to stay so love me ok?
Welcome to Arnett!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arnett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Not Fair 24 min Paul Masley 26
Thoughts 25 min Paul Masley 36
Lookin for a guy (May '16) Jan 13 Greeneyed 3
Artie Music Thread Jan 12 Musikologist 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Jan 11 R Scott Mick 3,983
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Jan 11 Super Homo 1,768
who wreaked in front of the post office this mo... Nov '16 Sandman 2

Arnett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arnett Mortgages