Board - Greenwich Time

Board - Greenwich Time

There are 22 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Dec 31, 2008, titled Board - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

The Board of Education has taken the next step in its search for a superintendent of schools by selecting a private firm to identify and vet a roster of top candidates in hopes that a new chief can take office ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Resident

Huntington, NY

#1 Dec 31, 2008
More wasted money by the BOE
Tony E Neuman

Farmington, CT

#2 Dec 31, 2008
Put the diversity iniatives on the shelf. It didn't work the last 2 times. Race and gender should not be a part of the selection criteria. All candidates should be selected and evaluated based on ability, background, and personality.
Tony E Neuman

Farmington, CT

#3 Dec 31, 2008
I meant to write "initiatives".
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#4 Dec 31, 2008
Race and gender are the main part of the selection
process. In fact it is the only thing that matters.
Ability means nothing-Zero.
Resident Also

Wayne, NJ

#5 Dec 31, 2008
Let me get this straight - they hire an Illinios based firm, who hires two New York based consultants to fill a Connecticut position. Then, they forbid the person with actual experience in the position to participate in the search because of a conflict of interest. Something is very, very wrong here
Vox Pop

Bloomfield, CT

#6 Dec 31, 2008
Resident Also wrote:
Let me get this straight - they hire an Illinios based firm, who hires two New York based consultants to fill a Connecticut position. Then, they forbid the person with actual experience in the position to participate in the search because of a conflict of interest. Something is very, very wrong here
Oh, yes.

Well, there go my hopes that the Board would not do the "in" thing this time around.

As a Greenwich Taxpayer I find one glaring omission from the story. How much are we shelling out for this quixotic venture?
From there, one might well ask what the other firms bid, as well as the basis for selecting the winner.

Don't you feel we're witnessing another reinvention of the wheel? Perhaps this time we'll arrive at a perfect square.
Cos Cob mom

Morganville, NJ

#7 Dec 31, 2008
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes.
Well, there go my hopes that the Board would not do the "in" thing this time around.
As a Greenwich Taxpayer I find one glaring omission from the story. How much are we shelling out for this quixotic venture?
From there, one might well ask what the other firms bid, as well as the basis for selecting the winner.
Don't you feel we're witnessing another reinvention of the wheel? Perhaps this time we'll arrive at a perfect square.
Professional "headhunting" firms get fees based on either a percentage of the total salary package, or a flat fixed fee. The percent based fee is usually much higher, since the total compensation in this case could be a quarter mill. When I worked for a major accounting firm, the recruiters would also get a fee equal to one month salary of the individual placed. As a taxpayer, I would like to know what we have to pay for. Perhaps a member of the BOE woudl clarify the contract details for the public? This is yet another financial fiasco. Recent articles on teh budget mentioned using similar cost saving efforts that area twons also used. How about we look at the salaries that are paid to teh top administrators (which are less) and reduce the salary to a reasonable one. Why does it have to keep going up? Our results don't seem to be going in that direction do they? Time to pay the top dog about hald and let them earn it before getting any kind of bonus.
Towny

White Plains, NY

#8 Dec 31, 2008
Dont forget the housing allowance.
Town

Sound Beach, NY

#9 Dec 31, 2008
Why doesn't the Board of Ed hire one of our qualified Principals who have been in the Greenwich School systems, instead of hiring an outsider and then having to relocate them spending more money. The past few superintendents left after a few years, Stop wasting the tax payers money..
confused

Greenwich, CT

#10 Dec 31, 2008
What do you consider a qualified principal? I don't think any of them are walking around with their Super. of Schools Certificate.

The absolute basics for applying to enter a super. certification program are:
* Master's degree;
* 30 graduate hours of credit beyond the master's degree;
* 80 school months of successful teaching experience or service, including 30 school months of full-time administrative or supervisory experience. A one-year internship in school administration may count toward fulfillment of ten months of this requirement.
* Graduate course work in each of the following areas: psychological and pedagogical foundations of learning, curriculum development and program monitoring, school administration, personnel evaluation and supervision, and contemporary educational problems and solutions.

To further add to the fun, most districts want doctorates, not masters.
If you do a little research, you see that almost every district worth mentioning uses search firms, the average contract is 3 years and that they are actually limited to only 3 year contracts (can be renewed ofcourse) and that most districts don't keep supers around for more then 3 years. Job hopping all over the country in every field is the way of life these days, no one has loyalty to anything but their bank account.
Retired GPD

Garnerville, NY

#11 Dec 31, 2008
Boy, those required qualifications have Betty Sternberg written all over them...I agree...find someone from within the school system and keep the parents OUT of the selection process!
Townie

Huntington, NY

#12 Jan 1, 2009
Just because someone has the qualifications, doesn't mean they have the knowledge or ability to do the job, as we have found out. BS only had two years teaching experience before she became an administrator. Common sense and knowledge of your community is more important than a list of qualifications on paper.
Wishing

Scarsdale, NY

#13 Jan 1, 2009
My wish for 2009 is that people who post on these blogs stop making inane comments. Seems like the Board of Education (the 8 volunteers who serve) are d*mned if they do and d*mned if they don't. To all of those who criticize them - do you attend any meetings? Work sessions? And news flash - there is an election for new members in November 2009. You think you have all the answers, then step up and give 10+ hours weekly (sometimes more)of your time free of charge. It is so mean spirited to trash those who are selflessly giving of themselves. If you have constructive feedback, by all means email them. Call them. They would love to hear your suggestions. But don't trash them on blogs hiding behind fake names. Happy New Year!
Get REAL

United States

#14 Jan 1, 2009
Hey wishing this is a blog we voice opinions. Dont like, dont join. Port Chester has a Super of Schools that got his phd online, talk about stupid.
Wishing

Scarsdale, NY

#15 Jan 1, 2009
Get REAL wrote:
Hey wishing this is a blog we voice opinions. Dont like, dont join. Port Chester has a Super of Schools that got his phd online, talk about stupid.
Dear Get Real - there is a difference between voicing opinions and outright inaccuracies and quite frankly being mean. What do you do in your free time besides post your "opinion" on a blog? How about a little respect for people? Would you like people criticizing your job performance without understanding your job? Maybe you will learn some compassion in 2009.
GPS Parent

Scarsdale, NY

#16 Jan 1, 2009
confused wrote:
What do you consider a qualified principal? I don't think any of them are walking around with their Super. of Schools Certificate.
The absolute basics for applying to enter a super. certification program are:
* Master's degree;
* 30 graduate hours of credit beyond the master's degree;
* 80 school months of successful teaching experience or service, including 30 school months of full-time administrative or supervisory experience. A one-year internship in school administration may count toward fulfillment of ten months of this requirement.
* Graduate course work in each of the following areas: psychological and pedagogical foundations of learning, curriculum development and program monitoring, school administration, personnel evaluation and supervision, and contemporary educational problems and solutions.
To further add to the fun, most districts want doctorates, not masters.
If you do a little research, you see that almost every district worth mentioning uses search firms, the average contract is 3 years and that they are actually limited to only 3 year contracts (can be renewed ofcourse) and that most districts don't keep supers around for more then 3 years. Job hopping all over the country in every field is the way of life these days, no one has loyalty to anything but their bank account.
Dear Confused - Thank you for doing your homework and sharing! I am sure that the Board of Education will do everything in their power to find the most qualified AND appropriate candidate. After all, it is in THEIR best interest to find a Superintendent who can take the heat in this kitchen AND run the district to our expectations and beyond. As you point out, not so easy to do. I believe the Board would be thrilled to appoint someone from within who has intimate knowledge of our community and understands the intricacies of our town government. It would be wonderfully helpful if all of these people who post blogs about the Board attended a meeting once in awhile. Do not rely on the Greenwich Time for accurate reporting.
Reader

United States

#17 Jan 1, 2009
You r a piece of work - whatever name u go by. How many names due u use-yr writing style is the same. U know more than anyone else and r always putting someone down when their opinion isn't the same as yrs. Glad u aren't my neighbor.
New Leb Parent

Scarsdale, NY

#18 Jan 1, 2009
Those who servers are in "NJ" you are the ones who are 'putting someone down when their opinions aren't the same.' Look in the mirror neighbor.
GPS Parent

Scarsdale, NY

#19 Jan 1, 2009
Reader wrote:
You r a piece of work - whatever name u go by. How many names due u use-yr writing style is the same. U know more than anyone else and r always putting someone down when their opinion isn't the same as yrs. Glad u aren't my neighbor.
Maybe I am a member of the BOE and that's why I know that some of these posts are not truthful. Maybe I am a PTA President who attends a lot of meetings and works hard for my school and the others in the district. Maybe I am just an optimistic parent who believes that the BOE is not out to get the TOG by hiring someone unqualified or inappropriate. Have you ever heard of the expression if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem?
confused

Greenwich, CT

#20 Jan 2, 2009
Dear GPS Parent,
I agree. I'm not sure the BOE will do their best to hire a qualified candidate who meets the state's requirements and our needs. 5 minutes of googling shows that they are following a similar path as most other BOE's by hiring a search firm.

Regardless of who is hired, having Dr. Flanagan in the deputy position assures the TOG that we have consistency and first hand knowledge of the community. Mr Winters is another key member of the cabinet who provides both. I think it would be shortsighted to try to limit the BOE to choose an internal candidate when at least 2 key members of the admin have the qualities we want and would balance someone from the outside, if that is where the best candidate comes from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Armonk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Plains Smart Water Meters (Nov '16) Aug 19 Dan 2
St.MARYS IN THE FIELD (Mar '15) Aug 19 Judith 8
News Songs For Seeds Expands To Armonk Aug 3 John Goodman 1
Brothers Home Maintenance Jul 28 DuglasPerez944 1
News Helicopter carrying WWE exec makes emergency oc... Jul '17 Evan Politico 4
Abandoned Warburg Rothschild estates (Oct '16) Jul '17 ecmd 2
best pizza in town of yorktown (Feb '17) Jul '17 Van Buren St Guy 4

Armonk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance