Girl Rising Screening Ballston 7/11

Girl Rising Screening Ballston 7/11

Posted in the Arlington Forum

JMState

Washington, DC

#1 Jun 25, 2013
Reserve your ticket at http://gathr.us/screening/4417 for the 7/11 screening of Girl Rising at the Movies at Ballston Mall. Show starts at 7:30!
"Girl Rising" mixes documentary and narrative filmmaking to show how education lifted nine girls out of poverty and cruel circumstances. The movie's locales Cambodia, Sierra Leone, Haiti, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Peru, Egypt, Nepal and India are far-flung, reflecting the diversity of the stories. Among the most affecting: Suma, a Nepalese girl who writes songs to help her navigate and ultimately overcome her life as a bonded laborer; and Wadley, a 7-year-old Haitian with a love for learning that's rocked by the devastating 2010 earthquake.
The young women's stories, narrated by the likes of Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway, stand as sober reminders of the kind of unforgiving obstacles faced by girls in developing countries and the positive, ripple effects that learning can bring.
Director Richard E. Robbins, Oscar-nominated for his 2007 documentary "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," divides his new film into nine portrait segments, set apart by Liam Neeson's narration about the hard truths girls must confront to go to school or simply show that they matter in many nations.
The film's re-creations, some involving actors and some the girls themselves, aren't always successful, but the truths at their core are rock-solid. Illuminating and ultimately hopeful, despite the horrible circumstances depicted, "Girl Rising" stands as a testament to the power of information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New W/H communications director Jul 23 Wayne Cook 1
News Alexandria shooter's widow: He went 'bananas' a... Jul 20 luther 3
News 'Disgrace': American Flag Burned at WWII Vet's ... Jul 20 luther 2
"My Beloved, I am Never Cold" and "The Genius" ... Jul 20 luther 2
Annual cost of illegal aliens to US Taxpayers Jul 20 luther 1
Falls Church Jukebox (Jun '12) Jul 15 Musikologist 25
Howard Earl Moat (Jul '07) Jul 15 Darren Grogg 18

Arlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance