Six game rooms close as Arlington cra...

Six game rooms close as Arlington cracks down

There are 38 comments on the A liberal dose story from Sep 18, 2007, titled Six game rooms close as Arlington cracks down. In it, A liberal dose reports that:

At least six game rooms have closed since the city began cracking down on the banned businesses last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at A liberal dose.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just mad about it

North Richland Hills, TX

#1 Sep 19, 2007
Why not have them meet the regulations and let them stay open ? These rooms have created alot of jobs for people that arent claiming unemployment or welfare benefits etc... Just make them do what they need to do to bring them up to code. Make them have the proper electric work done, venilation, don't let them serve food unless they have a health liscense, but dont take away the fun and the joy of gaming. If you do, your STATE money that is earned here goes to Oklahoma and Shreveport. Keep the money here just clean up the game rooms.Make them pay taxes and put it back in to the schools. You could use these rooms to make some good out of it for our children.
Geo

Irving, TX

#2 Sep 19, 2007
I guess I sorta agree with you, but why is it the places I've driven by look like they only attract a certain element? I certainly don't want them near my house. What's even weirder, is that we all know they are illegal, but I still see signs that are advertising the opening of one of these places soon, or even stop at a gas station that has them. Still nothing is done until MUCH later.

“No one is above the law.”

Since: May 07

Arlington, Texas

#3 Sep 19, 2007
Just mad about it wrote:
Why not have them meet the regulations and let them stay open ? These rooms have created alot of jobs for people that arent claiming unemployment or welfare benefits etc... Just make them do what they need to do to bring them up to code. Make them have the proper electric work done, venilation, don't let them serve food unless they have a health liscense, but dont take away the fun and the joy of gaming. If you do, your STATE money that is earned here goes to Oklahoma and Shreveport. Keep the money here just clean up the game rooms.Make them pay taxes and put it back in to the schools. You could use these rooms to make some good out of it for our children.
First as any business must abide by the law first before it opens its doors to the public. If you don't this is what happens. Gambling is as far as I know illegal in this state. Until that changes I am quite sure you will see more and more of this kind of action.
Sandy

Dallas, TX

#4 Sep 20, 2007
I find it interesting that for years Arlington has allowed gamerooms to operate openly and now that JJ and the Cowboys are moving in Arlington no longer needs them. VERY INTERESTING
Sue to the rescue

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Sep 20, 2007
I THINK THAT THE CITY OF ARLINGTON AS WELL AS THE ENTIRE STATE SHOULD OPEN THEIR EYES AND STOP GIVING MONEY AWAY TO OTHER STATES SUCH AS LOUSIANA AND OKLAHOMA AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORRTUNITY TO USE THAT MONEY TO BENEFIT OUR OWN STATE, I ENJOY GOING TO GAMEROOMS AND ITS ALOT MORE ENJOYABLE WHEN I ONLY HAVE TO DRIVE 20 MINUTES VERSES A COUPLE HOURS, BUT REGARDLESS PEOPLE WILL MAKE THE DRIVE OR FLIGHT IF WE CONTINUE TO FORCE THEM.....AND I AGREE THEIR ARE ALWAYS ALOT OF TEXANS WHERE EVER WE GO
stacey

Euless, TX

#6 Sep 30, 2007
MY MOTHER AND MYSELF HAVE FOUND A RENEWED FRIENDSHIP AND SOMETHING THE TWO OF US CAN ENJOY TOGETHER-- GAMEROOMS- NOT ONLY THAT WE HAVE MET SEVERAL OTHER MOM & DAUGHTERS ENJOYING THEIR NIGHT AWAY FROM THE KIDS AND PRESSURES OF HOME-
FOR US THE GAMEROOMS HAVE BEEN A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE FOR MY FAMILY
George

Irving, TX

#7 Oct 1, 2007
but it's still illegal.
just for fun

Dallas, TX

#8 Oct 1, 2007
big deal! Lots of things are illegal and by the way, harmless. Lots of things that ARE legal are harmful. Again, and always, a matter of perspective.
anonymous

Arlington, TX

#9 Nov 1, 2007
its a sickness
George

Irving, TX

#10 Nov 1, 2007
if someone murdered a family member of yours, and they were mentally unstable, would it be ok because it's a sickness?
Legacy

Dallas, TX

#11 Dec 3, 2007
Well ya see....

There is this place that most ppl live in...it is called the 'gray area'....that is the place where everything becomes messed up...ppl live there cause they can make up their own rules as they go... they aren't always law breakers...but they lack certain bounderies....and they live by the thoughts that if it doesn't actually hurt anyone..it is alright..( I am sure you understand where I am coming from..) in this world whatever happens...happens...

then there is that world George and I live in....or so it seems...that is the 'black and white area'...that is where....what is right is right..what is wrong is wrong...no exceptions..it makes making decisions here much easier...especially if you know where you stand before the situation is presented...and there is a cost to be had for decisions in this life...and you have to have boundries...otherwise, this world would be in chaos...

However, with so many ppl living in the gray area... I am more then sure I will have angry reviews of this post...but the fact of the matter is... if you know where you stand on something before it happens... you will more then likely make a right decision...even if others don't agree with it....and the truth is...the right decisions aren't always the most popular....

Since I am not looking for approval, I probably will forget to check back at this post...

Happy Holidays...
George

Irving, TX

#12 Dec 3, 2007
I support this post
sharon

United States

#13 Dec 16, 2007
I like the game rooms and prefer to drive 20 miles versus 115 miles and more to give my money away, so keep them open, but operated accordingly to regulations. Happy holidays.
frustrated

Dallas, TX

#14 Dec 30, 2007
I personally hate them, my mother was held at gun point earlier this year at one in Dallas as they robbed the place. She is now living with my husband and I because she was scared to live on her own and YES it is a sickness because she still goes to them. She thinks I don't know but I do. I hope they bust everyone of them because IN THIS STATE GAMBLING IS ILLEGAL.
HLJ

United States

#15 Jan 4, 2008
I WORK IN A GAME ROOM AND WE CARD PEOPLE IF THEY DONT HAVE A VALID ID THEY DONT GET IN OR THEY CANNOT PLAY BECAUSE MOST CRIMINALS OR PEOPLE ON DRUGS DONT HAVE VALID ID ALSO WE DO NOT PUT UP WITH CUSTOMERS THAT WE THINK MAY BOTHER OTHER PEOPLE AS IN DRUGS OR JUST LOITERING WE RUN A CLEAN DRUG FREE PLACE WERE MOST ELDERLY CAN COME AND BE SAFE AND HAVE GOOD TIME WITHOUT BEING SCARED OF ANYTHING HAPPENING TO THEM. WE ARE RUN BY CHRISTIAN OWNERS. AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I ENJOY THIS JOB BECAUSE OF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I MEET AND FOR PEOPLE TO SAY THAT IS ADDICTIVE WHAT ISN'T FOOD, DRINKING WHETHER IT IS CAFFEINE OR ALCOHOL. BUT NO ONE MAKES PEOPLE GAMBLE OR SPEND THEIR MONEY THEY ARE ALL ADULTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE THE DECISION WHETHER OR NOT TO GO IN THESE PLACES THE STATE WOULD BENEFIT IF THEY DID LEGALIZE THE GAME ROOMS OR GAMBLING IN TEXAS LOOK AT WHERE THE MONEY COULD GO CHARITIES, SCHOOLS, ROADS, SHELTERS , I KNOW PEOPLE DONT AGREE WITH THE GAMBLING BUT IT DOES SUPPORT ME AND MY 2 YR OLD WITHOUT US HAVING TO DEPEND ON ANYBODY OR BE ON WELFARE OR BE ON THE STREETS.
George

Irving, TX

#16 Jan 7, 2008
Your owners must not be too Christian, as they are running an illegal busniess. I don't think God would be too happy with that.
Just sayin'
Legacy

Arlington, TX

#17 Jan 9, 2008
I'm just thinking here....*which isn't at all a good thing at times....* but this is only my opinion....when they brought the lottery to Texas...didn't they feed us the same lie about how it was going to help our schools and better our society....? Ummmm....what the heck happened??? I don't see school benefiting....or our society from people spending their entire paycheck to actually believe they will get a winning ticket..... you'd have a better chance of an astroid falling out of the sky and hitting you in the head then winning the lottery.....and or believing that these game rooms would benefit anyone but the owners themselves......just saying...we have all heard 'those lies' before. Saying it is for a good cause isn't going to work....lol
joe

Katy, TX

#20 Jan 18, 2008
I think that we should stop blaming this and that on gamerooms. Any where you go such as schools malls anything is possible you get fights in school all the time. Does that mean you shut down schools? No you fix the problem. Why havent they made such an effort to close down so called "bath houses" where you can catch a disease faster than u can spit?
lannie

AOL

#21 Jan 20, 2008
i for one tried to open a game room near collins about 1 year ago was told by the city to bring building up to code everything would be fine so i remodeled the place added plumbing and electrical everytime i did what they asked they would say do this so i would i allways got the run around sent to a diffrent person at the city daily or told repeatly oh thier not hear right now allways something so to make a long story short i spent 55ooo dollars to finally be told no more gamerooms but was strung along from the begining to the tune of 55ooo i was not giveen a reason just no is all let me point out that others opened in that area after i was turned down now i am not racist but if you know the area only asians are allowed to open gamerooms WHY? no fair shake 4 me if u know the reason for this please let me know pissed and broke thanks to arlington.
mentally stable

United States

#22 Jan 20, 2008
George wrote:
if someone murdered a family member of yours, and they were mentally unstable, would it be ok because it's a sickness?
analyze this.. your a idiot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hispanic exodus from Irving, TX hurts businesses (Oct '07) 5 hr JimGaddio 257
News Suspected voter fraud in Grand Prairie fits sam... 5 hr JimGaddio 2
fun (May '13) Sat Nunya 3
Nudes for snapcash (Jan '16) May 18 Dqsylvia 130
Warning dont deal with yvonda lassiter May 18 youllneverbeoneofus 5
News Police: Sitter often left babies alone (Aug '06) May 18 JlS 24
Adolf Brasch scamming women on fb money (Sep '16) May 18 Martha black 2

Arlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arlington Mortgages