Tarrant County Holds Job Fair To Help Ex-Felons

Tarrant County held its first job fair targeted at people with criminal backgrounds on Friday. Full Story
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
happy medium

Lewisville, TX

#1 Aug 16, 2008
There are plenty of non criminals looking for jobs why would anyone hire a felon?
Why Not

United States

#2 Aug 16, 2008
Would you like all ex-cons to be on welfare? Not everything is black and white. Sometimes there are shades of gray. We have become such a throw away society. If someone makes just one mistake, are we to throw them away for the rest of their life?
happy medium

Lewisville, TX

#3 Aug 16, 2008
That's why I believe in prevention. We aren't doing anything to keep kids from growing up to be criminals, we just punish them later. A 'mistake' might be a speeding ticket, these are felons who chose to break the law.
Mammet

Dallas, TX

#4 Aug 17, 2008
happy medium wrote:
There are plenty of non criminals looking for jobs why would anyone hire a felon?
Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon!
Dee

AOL

#7 Aug 19, 2008
Just like what happened to "robin"--why doesn't the state of Texas Paroel dept. WORK with others to help the felons GET employment? On sorry, that would make sense.
I'm not a felon,on the contrary, I am a CO, but the whole picture here is to get them employed, so they may do dumb things like eat, pay rent--how weird, UH?
Besides--our great justice system (prison) was set up to PAY BACK SOCIETY, yet once a person does, they are still cruified--how hypocritical can we get here? Is Texas going to win the award for being that way or what? Sure does look like it--besides, one makes MONEY hiring a felon--hello, money here- free!
Felons have DONE the punishment--enough--when they get out- it's OVER--hire them--they eat just like anyone else!
Get real people. Grow up--unless you can throw the first stone--(there isn't a person on earth that can). And people are just amazed that Texas prisons hold more people than ANY state in the union--well, I'll be! Wonder why?
Give these felons a break! Have MORE job fairs! Hire felons and stop being so hypocritical! They WANT to work.
randi

Arlington, TX

#9 Aug 19, 2008
how can i get more info its for my brother he is getting out in september and needs to find a job to help get his son back.
nissa

United States

#10 Aug 19, 2008
It's a serious trust issue that stops most companies from hiring ex-cons. It's dicey enough hiring an employee with a decent record that might not work out well. It's insanity to hire someone with a past history of say drug abuse, violent crime, sexual inappropriateness, etc. They're a risk to the company from every angle. They're also a potential personal risk to other valuable employees!

Bottom line is most of these folks have issues employers will not deal with that have very little to do with the stigma of incarceration, but everything to do with becoming successful additions to their companies. Lawsuits and turnover cost companies money.

IF the prison/state systems were to include job training and sheltered workshops where a person could develop a track record of reliability post-incarceration, employers would have something positive to go on. Then those serious about changing their lives would have that chance because they would have EARNED it by proving themselves.
No Comment

Allen, TX

#11 Aug 19, 2008
Hmmm.. traffic ticket.. I'd hire, but not to drive my vehicles. Felons, no chance. Prisons should reflect AZ where you break rocks and eat bologna. Screw all this reform crap-- sometimes a criminal is just a criminal and SHOULD have gotten a death penalty (which is much cheaper on tax money than a "life" sentence). I say toss a shard in the yard and reduce the prison population.
the good old days

Clinton, WA

#12 Aug 20, 2008
Dee wrote:
Just like what happened to "robin"--why doesn't the state of Texas Paroel dept. WORK with others to help the felons GET employment? On sorry, that would make sense.
I'm not a felon,on the contrary, I am a CO, but the whole picture here is to get them employed, so they may do dumb things like eat, pay rent--how weird, UH?
Besides--our great justice system (prison) was set up to PAY BACK SOCIETY, yet once a person does, they are still cruified--how hypocritical can we get here? Is Texas going to win the award for being that way or what? Sure does look like it--besides, one makes MONEY hiring a felon--hello, money here- free!
Felons have DONE the punishment--enough--when they get out- it's OVER--hire them--they eat just like anyone else!
Get real people. Grow up--unless you can throw the first stone--(there isn't a person on earth that can). And people are just amazed that Texas prisons hold more people than ANY state in the union--well, I'll be! Wonder why?
Give these felons a break! Have MORE job fairs! Hire felons and stop being so hypocritical! They WANT to work.
Well, if you think they are such good and deserving people and "WANT to work", tell me this, why doesn't the TxDCJ hire them. God knows, the prisons need a lot more CO's to watch the ones that are still incarcerated.
I certainly would not want a child molester or rapist working in the same building with my wife or daughter.
I would not hire a thief to run my cash register or someone who has assaulted and/or killed someone to work with my customers or my other employees
spit

Dallas, TX

#13 Aug 20, 2008
randi wrote:
how can i get more info its for my brother he is getting out in september and needs to find a job to help get his son back.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope he never gets his son back. Any jailbird deserves to lose parental privileges.
TmE

Lewisville, TX

#14 Aug 20, 2008
Why do so many companies hire illegals that can provide no identification, no background check, etc? Seems a lot less risky than the kid that was jailed for possessing pot. There are lots of jobs out there that can be done without being a risk. We have people running this country in congress that have done worse than a lot of this EX felons.

“What?”

Since: Feb 08

Arlington, Texas

#15 Aug 24, 2008
blah....blah...blah
Hello There

Denton, TX

#16 Aug 25, 2008
spit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope he never gets his son back. Any jailbird deserves to lose parental privileges.
Good thing for you,spit, retards don't lose their posting privileges.
spit

United States

#17 Aug 25, 2008
Hello There wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing for you,spit, retards don't lose their posting privileges.
Ahh, but just think, brainless wonders like you don't have to show your smart card when buying a computer or getting on the internet.
Hmmm

Little Elm, TX

#18 Sep 2, 2008
the good old days wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you think they are such good and deserving people and "WANT to work", tell me this, why doesn't the TxDCJ hire them. God knows, the prisons need a lot more CO's to watch the ones that are still incarcerated.
I certainly would not want a child molester or rapist working in the same building with my wife or daughter.
I would not hire a thief to run my cash register or someone who has assaulted and/or killed someone to work with my customers or my other employees
Couldn't have said it better myself. Recycle the felons within TDCJ, excellent idea. No one wants to hire them because they are repeat offenders seen it too many times.
drug dealer

United States

#19 Sep 4, 2008
If we dont gain employment we will repeat. We have done the time in prison and we still get punished when we come.
Hmmmm

Little Elm, TX

#20 Sep 5, 2008
drug dealer wrote:
If we dont gain employment we will repeat. We have done the time in prison and we still get punished when we come.
That's a lie, which lies are really common with felons and I've seen too many that do get a job to prove themself and screw it up again and again. Hopefully all you repeat felons can repeat enough to get locked up until you die in prison.
E-Dls

Denton, TX

#21 Sep 5, 2008
drug dealer wrote:
I agree 100% A person should have all of his rights restored once he has done his time. If he is not fit to be an American, they should keep him locked up until he is.

An ex-convict is an American as much as anyone else, and should enjoy all of the rights afforded every other American.

Until the ex-cons unite and create an organization that lobbies for their rights back, they will be lost.

Texas is probably the worst place for an ex-con. You are forever a criminal even if you have paid your debt to society. Sure lots re-offend, but many do not. Those that do re-offend may need something better than a college campus atmosphere to change their ways.
Hmmm

Little Elm, TX

#23 Sep 6, 2008
It's really so simple. Dont break the law and you wont have to deal with this situation. What is so hard to comprehend about that?? If your that stupid to understand that, then you deserve to be locked up and suffer your consequences afterward.
happy medium

Lewisville, TX

#24 Sep 6, 2008
E-Dls wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100% A person should have all of his rights restored once he has done his time. If he is not fit to be an American, they should keep him locked up until he is.
An ex-convict is an American as much as anyone else, and should enjoy all of the rights afforded every other American.
Until the ex-cons unite and create an organization that lobbies for their rights back, they will be lost.
Texas is probably the worst place for an ex-con. You are forever a criminal even if you have paid your debt to society. Sure lots re-offend, but many do not. Those that do re-offend may need something better than a college campus atmosphere to change their ways.
How about NOT committing a crime then u won't have to worry about finding a job!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is Mission Arlington Tx so rude to people- ... Mon Melanie H 3
sorry Sun Lauren Sicard 3
Arlington friends Sun Lauren Sicard 1
Review: Lamb Corp Oct 17 Enriqueta 1
Review: Korman, Felicia (Feb '10) Oct 16 Ty James 4
Gangs In Arlington (Aug '07) Oct 15 aggtownslilnine 1,120
Moving to Arlington - - Advice? Oct 12 Salvation 3

Arlington News Video

Arlington Dating
Find my Match