Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58835 Aug 1, 2014
This is an interesting note about Christian ministers in my town, where fundamentalist Baptists and Penecostal are probably the two dominating religions. Everybody in town knows that I am a liberal, and sometimes this will be the main theme of many ministers that I engage in long conversations. Everything from abortion, homosexuality, separation of church and state, welfare, Obamacare...and a long list of subjects are discussed. Some go on for an hour or more, and when the discussion has finished, I will usually say, "You know, Pastor, we have had a great discussion and I feel that most people are not informed about what the liberal philosophy embraces, and so in an effort to educate people and for them to have a broader perspective, I would love to come to your church at you invitation and have the discussion we have just had in front of your congregation. Would you be willing to do that?" Always Silence. Stone cold silence. To this day I have never been offered an invitation for this to happen.. So, I would like to get a response from all you conservatives (Waco, Ben)on here as what you think the reason is that ministers do not wish for their congregation to have a broader perspective in life? Any takers on that?
TSF

Kinston, NC

#58836 Aug 1, 2014
America under attack, 3000 of our countrymen already dead and our commander in chief in hiding. Not a shining moment for chickenhawk Dubya Bush. Kind of like him going AWOL from the Air Guard back in the Vietnam days when guardsmen couldn't even be deployed overseas. Then he helps the relatives of the 911 perpetrator escape the USA before they could be questioned. RepubliKans idolize that behavior?
Victoria wrote:
<quoted text>
They KNEW an attack was coming. The warnings were coming in practically every day. What they thought was that the attacks would not be as bad as they turned out to be. You can look at that moron's face (Bush) as he's reading that goat book and see that he was expecting it. I think that's why he took the month-long vacation the entire month of August. He thought he would be "safe". And that's really the only thing he was worried about. Remember, the day of the attacks, he flew around the country looking for a place where HE would be safe. In his own words, "I needed to get out of harm's way". He needed to get out of harm's way....as 3000 Americans DIED for his incompetence.
Anyone who can think & are intelligent (like you) can see right through the load of BS that the Bush administration fed this country. Bush wanted a war in Iraq. He wanted not only to "finish the job" his father left unfinished, but he wanted to show daddy up.
Bush is suffering for his lies. You can see it in his face. And he deserves to suffer. Thousands of Americans are dead for that fool's lies.
And they have the audacity to blame Clinton.
TSF

Kinston, NC

#58837 Aug 1, 2014
Could it be fear that if the congregation actually understood and started following the words of Jesus ,who was a liberal, they will not follow the pastor?
State of Florida wrote:
This is an interesting note about Christian ministers in my town, where fundamentalist Baptists and Penecostal are probably the two dominating religions. Everybody in town knows that I am a liberal, and sometimes this will be the main theme of many ministers that I engage in long conversations. Everything from abortion, homosexuality, separation of church and state, welfare, Obamacare...and a long list of subjects are discussed. Some go on for an hour or more, and when the discussion has finished, I will usually say, "You know, Pastor, we have had a great discussion and I feel that most people are not informed about what the liberal philosophy embraces, and so in an effort to educate people and for them to have a broader perspective, I would love to come to your church at you invitation and have the discussion we have just had in front of your congregation. Would you be willing to do that?" Always Silence. Stone cold silence. To this day I have never been offered an invitation for this to happen.. So, I would like to get a response from all you conservatives (Waco, Ben)on here as what you think the reason is that ministers do not wish for their congregation to have a broader perspective in life? Any takers on that?
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58838 Aug 1, 2014
TSF wrote:
Could it be fear that if the congregation actually understood and started following the words of Jesus ,who was a liberal, they will not follow the pastor?
<quoted text>
Yes, that is exactly it. They want to keep them indocrinated and stupid regarding the true liberal words and deeds of Jesus. How can people who can think independently give deep thoughts to Jesus' words ever again be lead by an idiot? The ministers of these fundamental Christian groups have great fear of that ever happening. You can see by the Republican slashing of public education funds that they fear this. This is why they push for vouchers to send their kids to private parochial indoctrination schools. "Don't ever let them think on their own" is the Republican creedo!
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58839 Aug 1, 2014
Taxpayer...Please come on here and call me a communist for wanting to to educate people, and hole in the wall .....please call me a liar. Everybody on topix is aware that neither of you will openly debate the issues. You both have nothing to stand on but your own paranoia and ignorance with the RW agenda.
WV Mountaineer

Yadkinville, NC

#58840 Aug 1, 2014
State of Florida wrote:
Taxpayer...Please come on here and call me a communist for wanting to to educate people, and hole in the wall .....please call me a liar. Everybody on topix is aware that neither of you will openly debate the issues. You both have nothing to stand on but your own paranoia and ignorance with the RW agenda.
I totally agree with you.
hole in the wall

Baltimore, MD

#58841 Aug 2, 2014
WV Mountaineer wrote:
<quoted text> I totally agree with you.
what a good waste of air
Rube Walker

Wilkesboro, NC

#58842 Aug 2, 2014
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Waco, this is one of those things that I regret. What I had thought to be funny turned out to be cruel, hateful, and disrespectful. After I pushed the button, I realized I had made a mistake. I apologize to you and I will be more careful in the future with my humor, or in this case, the lack of it. I am sorry
That's actually the only thing you've ever written that's been worth reading.

Stop being such a pu$$y and quit apologizing. And when you see one of those commercials for low T, please write down that Dr's phone number. Maybe it's not too late to regain what manhood you might've had in your younger days.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58843 Aug 2, 2014
hole in the wall wrote:
<quoted text> what a good waste of air
We all love you, hole in the wall, as you have become a valued family member to all of us liberals.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58844 Aug 2, 2014
Rube Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
That's actually the only thing you've ever written that's been worth reading.
Stop being such a pu$$y and quit apologizing. And when you see one of those commercials for low T, please write down that Dr's phone number. Maybe it's not too late to regain what manhood you might've had in your younger days.
So, you have an interest in my manhood, Rube?
Ben

Greer, SC

#58845 Aug 2, 2014
"Spain: 100s at Anti-Semitic Rally Call to 'Put Fear into Jews'", European countries have seen an alarming rise in anti-Semitism since the start of Operation Protective Edge. In France, Muslim extremists have attacked several synagogues, and leftist and Islamist rioters torched Jewish-owned businesses and clashed with police as authorities there have struggled to contain the wave of hate. In Holland, anti-Israel marchers have called to "slaughter the Jews" and several violent attacks have been reported, including one Jewish woman who was subjected to death-threats and firebombs for hanging an Israeli flag outside her home. Germany as well has seen vocally anti-Semitic demonstrations. During one such march extremists called to "slit Jews' throats" and attempted to attack anyone visibly Jewish. At least one synagogue has been firebombed in recent weeks, and a Berlin imam called to kill "Zionist Jews". The photo's show the crowd and I think I ole' Vickie chanting. Gotta love that religious tolerance.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58846 Aug 2, 2014
Ben wrote:
"Spain: 100s at Anti-Semitic Rally Call to 'Put Fear into Jews'", European countries have seen an alarming rise in anti-Semitism since the start of Operation Protective Edge. In France, Muslim extremists have attacked several synagogues, and leftist and Islamist rioters torched Jewish-owned businesses and clashed with police as authorities there have struggled to contain the wave of hate. In Holland, anti-Israel marchers have called to "slaughter the Jews" and several violent attacks have been reported, including one Jewish woman who was subjected to death-threats and firebombs for hanging an Israeli flag outside her home. Germany as well has seen vocally anti-Semitic demonstrations. During one such march extremists called to "slit Jews' throats" and attempted to attack anyone visibly Jewish. At least one synagogue has been firebombed in recent weeks, and a Berlin imam called to kill "Zionist Jews". The photo's show the crowd and I think I ole' Vickie chanting. Gotta love that religious tolerance.
So, you think we are being Anti Semantic for calling out Israel in an aggressive act when they were wrong in doing so, and therefore, you also think that liberals want to see all Jews worldwide suffer at the hands of bigots and haters? Is that the point you are attempting to make? If that is your point, you are a bigger simpleton than I had ever realized before.
TSF

Kinston, NC

#58847 Aug 2, 2014
Washington republikans have been raising holy hell about the border crisis. So, what did the republiKan House of Representatives do to address the crisis before they left for a 5 week vacation?
Answser: NOTHING---as usual
TSF

Kinston, NC

#58848 Aug 2, 2014
Citizens of North Carolina are extremely upset about the extensive environmental destruction and threats to NC drinking water by Duke Energies coal ash leaks and outbursts . So, what did the NC republiKan legislature do before leaving for vacation? Answer: NOTHING!!

This inaction by the legislature has forced our Governor McCrory to take the bold step of issuing an executive order to DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) to keep doing what they have been doing, which is NOTHING.
TSF

Kinston, NC

#58849 Aug 2, 2014
It seems like we hadn't heard from Rep. Michele Bachmann for a while. That was nice, wasn't it? Alas, all good things must come to an end.
Rep. Michele Bachmann has a new theory about the unaccompanied minors fleeing violence in Central America who have come in large numbers to the southern U.S. border: they are future victims of a liberal plot to use unwilling children for medical experiments.

The origins of this theory are long and complex and more than a little batshit crazy; see the link if you want the long version. The short version is that the conservative movement is absolutely batshit crazy, and a sizable portion of all the people they elect are similarly batshit crazy, and they all get their news from batshit crazy news sources staffed by batshit crazy people until everything is just a blur of crazy-ass conspiracy theories that they've convinced themselves of primarily because a bunch of equally batshit crazy people claim they believe them as well.
So let's set all that aside and listen to Rep. Michele Bachman explain just why President Obama is so eager to keep all of these migrant children in our midst.

"Now President Obama is trying to bring all of those foreign nationals, those illegal aliens to the country and he has said that he will put them in the foster care system," Bachmann said. "That's more kids that you can see how - we can't imagine doing this, but if you have a hospital and they are going to get millions of dollars in government grants if they can conduct medical research on somebody, and a Ward of the state can't say 'no,' a little kid can't say 'no' if they're a Ward of the state; so here you could have this institution getting millions of dollars from our government to do medical experimentation and a kid can't even say 'no.' It's sick".

Holy. Freaking. Freak. Her mind must be a horrible place, a place of bats and alligators and carnival rides staffed by sad-faced clowns wielding axes in one hand and machetes in the other. I don't know how you get yourself down a path that leaves you believing things like that are somebody's secret plan, but if you believe that it makes all the little things like "half-century old plan to put a Kenyan citizen in the White House" or "government plan to buy up all of the ammunition so you people can't get any" look like ho-hum stuff in comparison.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58850 Aug 2, 2014
A Michelle Bachmann/Sarah Palin debate would be better than anything Monty Python or Mel Brooks create in the area of comedy with their greatest creative juices flowing. It would have to be pay per view.
Red Square

Mills River, NC

#58851 Aug 2, 2014
Well you can't say Duke Power isn't getting their money's worth.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#58852 Aug 2, 2014
Red Square wrote:
Well you can't say Duke Power isn't getting their money's worth.
McCrory is their boy!
Ben

Greer, SC

#58853 Aug 3, 2014
Victoria wrote:
Obama says after 9-11, US 'tortured some folks'
AP1 hr ago By KEN DILANIAN of Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP)— The United States tortured al Qaida detainees captured after the 9/11 attacks, President Obama said Friday, in some of his most expansive comments to date about a controversial set of CIA practices that he banned after taking office.
"We tortured some folks," Obama said at a televised news conference at the White House. "We did some things that were contrary to our values."
Addressing the impending release of a Senate report that criticizes CIA treatment of detainees, Obama said he believed the mistreatment stemmed from the pressure national security officials felt to forestall another attack. He said Americans should not be too "sanctimonious," about passing judgment through the lens of a seemingly safer present day.
That view, which he expressed as a candidate for national office in 2008 and early in his presidency, explains why Obama did not push to pursue criminal charges against the Bush era officials who carried out the CIA program. To this day, many of those officials insist that what they did was not torture, which is a felony under U.S. law.
~~~~~~~~~~
President Obama's EXTREME generosity in light of the CRIMES OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION.
If the roles were reversed, and a Democratic president had committed the CRIMES that the Republican Bush administration committed, you can damn well believe that they would be calling for some heads to roll.
Democrats: Always SUPERIOR to Republicans. Always.
I knew I saw your face in that crowd. Now, I'll be digging through history and see if any Dumo "tortured folks". "Folks" every time I hear that I crack up. Such prevalent verb age used in Hawaii. BTW, I lived there for four years.
Ben

Greer, SC

#58854 Aug 3, 2014
Victoria wrote:
My Take: Franklin Graham is embarrassing his father
Editor's Note: Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar
By Stephen Prothero
If you want to see how American evangelicalism has lost its way, you need look no farther than Billy Graham and his son Franklin. Billy Graham was a powerful preacher of the gospel. Franklin Graham is a political hack.
Billy Graham, now 92, was released from a hospitalization for pneumonia earlier this week, but I will always remember him as a vibrant young revivalist who mesmerized me, and hundreds of millions of others, through his televised crusades.
He was somehow square and hip at the same time–he more than held his own in a conversation with Woody Allen in 1969 television special—and he challenged us to devote our lives not to money or power but to God.
Billy Graham was by no means uninterested in politics. Dubbed the pastor to presidents, he prayed with Democratic and Republican chief executives alike—every one of them since Harry Truman. His rabid anti-communism mellowed with age, and he never forgot that preaching was his real calling.
Franklin Graham is a very different man.
In recent years, he has garnered more attention for bashing Islam (as “a very evil and wicked religion") than for preaching Christianity. And in recent months he has taken the art of embarrassing himself (and his family) to new lows.
In April, when asked by ABC’s Christiane Amanpour about a possible presidential run by Donald Trump, he said, "The more you listen to him, the more you say to yourself, you know, maybe the guy's right.”
When asked in this same interview about President Obama’s Christianity, he called the president's profession of faith into question, saying that for Obama “going to church means he’s a Christian” while for him “the definition of a Christian is whether we have given our life to Christ.”
Graham then punched his carnival barker card by parroting the same sort of "birther" nonsense Trump was pedaling at the time, saying that Obama had “some issues to deal with” in terms of proving he was born in Hawaii.
"I was born in a hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, and I know that my records are there. You can probably even go and find out what room my mother was in when I was born. I don't know why he can't produce that," Graham said.
All this is to say that the more I listen to him, the more I feel sorry for his dad.
I am not an evangelical but I respect Billy Graham. I think he is a good man. I know he gave voice to anti-Semitic prejudice in the White House with President Richard Nixon. But I want him to be remembered well.
His son is making that difficult.
....[....] con't....
Great comments coming from two "religiously confused " people. "Stephen Prothero /&#712;pro&#650;đ& #601;ro&#650;/ is a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University and the author of numerous books on religion in America. He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs and on television on CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, MSNBC, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and The Colbert Report. A regular contributor to USA Today, he has also written for The New York Times Magazine, The New York Times Book Review, Slate, Salon.com , The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe and The Wall Street Journal.
Prothero has argued for mandatory public school Bible literacy courses (along the lines of the Bible Literacy Project's The Bible and Its Influence), along with mandatory courses on world religions.[1] Prothero describes himself as "religiously confused."[

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Stephen Mahaffey? (Mar '07) Apr 28 John STEWART 62
Review: Revival Pain Management (May '13) Mar '16 bill 13
Do you believe in angels? Mar '16 John15659 1
News Four charged in drug case Mar '16 Arrow 1
Chatham Woods Senior Apts: A Nightmare On Elm S... (Mar '15) Mar '16 I want to know 24
Chatham Woods senior apartments Feb '16 charliebrown77 3
Jamie Burton??? Feb '16 Nope 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arlington Mortgages