Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
TSF

Angier, NC

#53406 May 16, 2014
Wrong. We know exactly what Tillis would do if elected. It would be more of the "no to everything except tax breaks for the rich".
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text>. To paraphrase Pelosi, we won't know until we elect him!
TSF

Angier, NC

#53407 May 16, 2014
It may just be cyclic stupidity and ignorance. The North Africans were at one time were educated and literate people, which gave them understanding . Now they are most illiterate, intolerant , pugnacious and fanatical..
North Carolina was ,only a few years ago, a national leader in education. Now NC is last in the nation in education. Even worse than WVa. This is the direct result of stupidity and ignorance of our republikan legislature.. Now NC is the poster child to become most illiterate, intolerant, pugnacious and fanatical. Oklahoma is the only state giving NC any competition in the race to the bottom.
Waco 1954 wrote:
TSF you seem to be fascinated by antiquity.
I was wondering why Christians seem to be more tolerant now, but the reverse was true during the Crusades.
There was a time when Muslims were far more tolerant of other religions.
Maybe these things, like a lot of history, are cyclical?
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53408 May 16, 2014
Here's an inconvenient Truth for you.
No matter what America does to effect climate change, it doesn't matter one little bit!
Not even if everybody in America quit driving, and quit using electricity!
Why?????
CHINA!
China refuses to get on board with ANY MEANS to reduce greenhouse effects!!
WHY, OH WHY??
First, because it's expensive!!
Second, THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN IT!!!
Why, what can we do??
NOT A THING.
Guess we're all doomed!!
Bummer, dude.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53409 May 16, 2014
TSF wrote:
Wrong. We know exactly what Tillis would do if elected. It would be more of the "no to everything except tax breaks for the rich".
<quoted text>
. Good luck, guy, and I mean that.
Right now the political situation in America, politically, is chaos.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53410 May 16, 2014
Undersecretary for Health Care at the VA has just resigned.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53411 May 16, 2014
TSF wrote:
It may just be cyclic stupidity and ignorance. The North Africans were at one time were educated and literate people, which gave them understanding . Now they are most illiterate, intolerant , pugnacious and fanatical..
North Carolina was ,only a few years ago, a national leader in education. Now NC is last in the nation in education. Even worse than WVa. This is the direct result of stupidity and ignorance of our republikan legislature.. Now NC is the poster child to become most illiterate, intolerant, pugnacious and fanatical. Oklahoma is the only state giving NC any competition in the race to the bottom.
<quoted text>
Fanaticism is a terrible thing.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53412 May 16, 2014
The New York times has decided that prejudice against transgenders in the military is the top problem facing America today.
Fanaticism is a terrible thing.
Red Square

Hendersonville, NC

#53413 May 16, 2014
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text> Dinosaurs were hardy and adaptable, it took a lot to wipe them out.
Weren't the dinosaurs wiped out by the effects of a
large asteroid hitting Earth? There's not much one
can do about that.
Red Square

Hendersonville, NC

#53414 May 16, 2014
Waco 1954 wrote:
<quoted text> Usually, in cases of overpopulation, disease takes over and restores balance.
We resist this, with doctors and technology.
Gee, I hope so.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53415 May 16, 2014
Red Square wrote:
<quoted text>
Weren't the dinosaurs wiped out by the effects of a
large asteroid hitting Earth? There's not much one
can do about that.
There were several mass extinctions previously as well.
Things traveling at high rates of speed, with lots of mass, frequently hit this planet.
People haven't been here long at all, we're new.
The unusual increase in brain size in humans was necessitated by the need for human speech.
This also led to the shape of the human throat changing, and quickly, for language.
Which is why so many people die yearly, choking on their food.
Dogs and chimps don't!
Language was a, evolutionarily speaking, very fast development.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53416 May 16, 2014
China is the world's largest polluter of CO2 with around 34 billion metric tons of CO2 released per year. The USA is second with around 5 billion metric tons released per year. As the oceans warm, methane will ill be released from the ocean floors. Methane is a more powerful heat trap than CO2.
My prediction as to what will happen in the future (hundreds of years) is this: The sea will continue to rise by about 10 ft by 2100 and continue doing so after 2100 until the NC coast line is around where Raleigh is now.. The warmer water and the increased ocean surface area will evaporate more and more water. That will produce more and more clouds which will reflect the sunlight. The air will cool and it will start raining at first, then snowing. The snowing will be pretty much constant and a new ice age will begin. The evaorative water loss will cause the water temperature to slowly decrease and the sea levels to decrease until the NC coast is about 30 miles East of Cape Hatteras (where the coast line was around the end of the last ice age) Then ice will start melting again, causing increased sea levels and the cycle repeats.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53417 May 16, 2014
More unconstitutional crap from the NC legislate

Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Judge strikes down new NC teacher tenure law Associated Press |

RALEIGH, N.C.— A judge ruled Friday that a law cutting teacher job protections in North Carolina is unconstitutional.

Superior Court Judge Robert Hobgood said veteran teachers have an established right to a layer of review beyond school administrators when they face firing. His ruling also said the law passed by Republican lawmakers last year violates constitutional rights that protect contracts and prevent governments from taking a person's property.

Abolishing teacher tenure "was not reasonable and necessary to serve an important public purpose," Hobgood said in his ruling.

For more than 40 years, North Carolina law has said veteran teachers cannot be fired or demoted except for reasons that include poor performance, immorality and insubordination. Teachers earning career status after at least four years in a school district also have the right to a hearing where they can challenge their firing or demotion.
Last summer, Republican lawmakers voted to phase out those protections, arguing it will promote sharper classroom performance. Teachers who haven't worked the four years needed to qualify for career status are being offered one-year contracts. Veteran teachers were due to lose their tenure protections in 2018.
The judge's ruling did not include teachers that were hired with the expectation of having tenure rights after four years but who had not yet reached that milestone.
State Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, promised that the ruling will be appealed.
"Today a single Wake County judge suppressed the will of voters statewide who elected representatives to improve public education and reward our best teachers with raises. This is a classic case of judicial activism," he said in a statement.
The ruling is likely to delay action by local school boards on another part of the law requiring them to offer the best 25 percent of its teachers four-year contracts. The contracts mean giving up tenure protections in return for $5,000 in raises over the four years.
A Superior Court judge ruled last week in a separate case that the Guilford County and Durham school boards do not have to issue new teacher contracts to a selected elite 25 percent of educators.
Teachers can choose whether or not to accept that offer, but Friday's decision means a teacher's decision will have career-long consequences, said Ann McColl, an attorney for the North Carolina Association of Educators.
Lawyers representing the North Carolina Association of Educators and a half dozen teachers argue eliminating career status wasn't necessary to remove problem teachers.
The state attorney said earlier this week that lawmakers can end tenure protections if they think it will improve public schools.

©
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53418 May 16, 2014
I have all these rights.
I have a right for free speech, and on the other hand, I have the right to remain silent.
I have a right to vote.
I have a right to a quality education. I have a right for health care.
I have a right to a fair trial.
I have a right to pursue happiness.
I have a right for police protection.
I have a right to have fire fighters save me from a fire.
What did I do to earn all these rights??
Not a **** thing!
Ain't life grand??
TSF

Angier, NC

#53419 May 17, 2014
Living in the USA IS grand. The establishment of the USA was deigned exactly to provide the right of free speech, right to a fair trial by a jury of peers, right to be secure in your personal effects, etc. All that did not happen by chance. They are a gift from the many men and women who have died during our history to give us those rights and to preserve them. I thank God for those brave souls and their willingness to give all for us. They understood that there is more to human life than just the individual me, mine and the present.
Waco 1954 wrote:
I have all these rights.
I have a right for free speech, and on the other hand, I have the right to remain silent.
I have a right to vote.
Not a **** thing!
Ain't life grand??
TSF

Angier, NC

#53420 May 17, 2014
The function of the police is not your protection. Their function is to arrest and charge violators of the law. The function of the courts is to decide your guilt or innocence. The mistaken notion of police protection is the fallacy behind those who want to disarm the public. The function of the police is to arrest those who have violated the law AFTER they have harmed you, stolen your property, raped you, etc. Their only preventive function is to make criminals understand that they will be arrested and punished.
For instance, the "protection" idea is causing harm to children in particular as schools rely more heavily on LE to function as disciplinarians for relatively minor misdemeanors and infractions committed in school. Charging a 6 year old with sexual harassment because he said his teacher was cute, for instance. Calling the police and expelling a 3rd grader who brought a cake and cake knife to school for istance. That does not teach the child a lesson. It just gives him a criminal record.
Waco 1954 wrote:
I have all these rights.
I have a right to vote.
Not a **** thing!
Ain't life grand??
TSF

Angier, NC

#53421 May 17, 2014
The power mad NC legislature is passing unconstitutional laws cancelling contracts and seizing municipal property. The already overburdened courts are consuming precious time hearing and correcting those errors.
The unnecessary legal turmoil created is because the idiot legislators do not understand that while they do have the power to create and or change laws, those creations and or changes must conform to the framework of the US Constitution and the NC State Constitution
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53422 May 17, 2014
When you earn something, you appreciate it more.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53423 May 17, 2014
Heinlein postulated that perhaps citizenship should be earned, not given as a birthright.
Reminded me of the movie "Avatar", where members of the tribe there had to earn full adult privileges.
Just a thought, we can't have people riding around on giant reptilian-looking birds, now can we?
TSF

Angier, NC

#53424 May 17, 2014
Republikans cannot get their lies straight. First they claim Hillary faked a head injury. Now they claim that fake injury caused her to have brain damage.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#53425 May 17, 2014
TSF wrote:
Republikans cannot get their lies straight. First they claim Hillary faked a head injury. Now they claim that fake injury caused her to have brain damage.
They DO know about brain damage from some of their collegues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Stephen Mahaffey? (Mar '07) Nov 14 jay cooper 63
News No citations in Nov. 6 collision Nov 14 Bob Is An Idiot 2
cps pain management (Aug '15) Aug '16 Keep Out 2
Tony Gray Sloop (Jan '09) Aug '16 Moving on 4
News N.C. parenting columnist files lawsuit in Kentucky (Jul '13) Jul '13 SilverSwanBabies 1
Review: Mr & K Enterprises (Sep '12) Sep '12 Jimmy 1
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in North Carolin... (Oct '10) Nov '10 AMan 4

Arlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arlington Mortgages