Lattof Chevrolet says good bye to ''family'

Oct 11, 2008 Full story: Daily Herald 28

For Al and Janet Lattof, closing down Lattof Chevrolet after more than 70 years and three generations includes helping about 70 employees find new jobs and their customers locate Chevy dealers where they'll be ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Larry of Park Ridge

Northbrook, IL

#1 Oct 26, 2008
Sorry to see Lattof leave the scene. We bought a few cars from Lattof thru 1992, but we can't help believing that arrival of that fellow "Bruce" who stepped in as Sales or Gen'l Manager at Lattof was a bad decision by the Ownership. "Bruce",(we forget his last name), seemed to be a bad-humored, sour attitude and poor customer relations type of individual, who could, by himself, drive customers away, and bring down any auto dealership---bad economy or not. Was he still there at the closing of Lattof?
Brian

Palatine, IL

#2 Oct 31, 2008
well Larry of Park Ridge..

I was an employee of Lattof Chevy for many years, I new Bruce Lowery very well. He was a very good person. don't go bad mouth anybody.
Brian

Palatine, IL

#3 Oct 31, 2008
and on second note- reading the article and wondering what the cause was- I think some one needs to realize that the economy is poor at this time. The Lattof's did try to help many employees find jobs- I personally took it upon myself the day that we recieved news of the closing to go out and land a new job at another dealer. Maybe this was the best thing that could of happened- I know it was for me.
TRW

Franklin Park, IL

#4 Nov 1, 2008
The Service Dept. was terrible at Latoff no big surprise since half the lot was sold to Walgreens a couple years back. Build a quality product and care about customer service and people come back. I bough 2 cars from Charlotte @ Latoff and been disappointed with both. Service was lacking.

Intake gaskets that fail just outside the warranty. No wonder there was a class action lawsuit for the use of Dex-cool.
Dennis

New Lenox, IL

#5 Nov 10, 2008
Anyone know where Tony went? He was an excellent Corvette mechanic..that is where I bought mine. Sorry to hear they closed!
Matt

United States

#6 Nov 11, 2008
Any body who slanders someone on the internet lacks a spine. Its not the "terrable service," or the "sour attitude," its very hard to deal with people that complain. Did the dealership sell you a vehicle? If yes, they did thier job. Was the car broken and they fixed it? If yes, they did thier job. Newsflash to TRW from Naperville...Automotive Dealerships do not build the cars.

Parts that fail outside the warranty should never be the consumers responsibility, should they?...Moron.
TRW

Franklin Park, IL

#7 Nov 11, 2008
That's the problem with GM. Intake gaskets should last the life of the engine. Moron its spelled "terrible". Did you go to college?
GM should have done the repair under goodwill. Google dexcool issues with GM cars- moron I mean Matt.

Did they fix it? No, I took it to an independent mechanic because I learn a lesson from Latoff and now they are out of business.
Diamond Jim

Palatine, IL

#8 Nov 21, 2008
Lattof Chevrolet, as I understand it, was closed because GM decided it needed to shrink it's dealer franchise network and offered Lattof a financial incentive to close.

For the record I purchased several cars from Lattof Chevrolet and I have to say I was a satisfied customer 99 percent of the time. The other one percent of the time I bitched about it and they took care of me.

One other thing about intake gaskets- I had a set go on a 1999 LeSabre (which I bought someplace else) after 70K miles and wound up with a seized motor. A replacement engine had to be installed at a cost to me of $5,000. That was GMs doing, not the dealers.
Keith

United States

#9 Nov 22, 2008
For the best deals in the industry buy a car from Enterprise Auto Sales. www.ecars.com

At Enterprise they treat the customers the right way and go obove and beyond to make sure mistakes are corrected. Give them a try if you are in the market.
TRW

Franklin Park, IL

#10 Nov 30, 2008
Lattof sold their customer list if you did not buy an extended warranty to a 3rd Party Warranty Outfit. I receive a card about warranty expiration on cars that I bought from them. I forgot to tell Lattof how much I enjoyed getting these cards before they closed shop.
A selling dealer should be able to goodwill an intake gasket failure at 40,000 miles due to the dexacool. GM is to blame and the dealers.
Scott

Barrington, IL

#11 Dec 6, 2008
That list you speak of is gathered from your Illinois license registration. Most customers are happy. It's the freeloaders that are usually the complainers. Did the local dealerships in Naperville throw you out?5975
TRW wrote:
Lattof sold their customer list if you did not buy an extended warranty to a 3rd Party Warranty Outfit. I receive a card about warranty expiration on cars that I bought from them. I forgot to tell Lattof how much I enjoyed getting these cards before they closed shop.
A selling dealer should be able to goodwill an intake gasket failure at 40,000 miles due to the dexacool. GM is to blame and the dealers.
Jimmie48

Franklin Park, IL

#12 Dec 9, 2008
Read an article from the Tribune Transportation section a couple weeks ago... It does not come from the license registration.
MikeM

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 16, 2008
TRW wrote:
The Service Dept. was terrible at Latoff no big surprise since half the lot was sold to Walgreens a couple years back. Build a quality product and care about customer service and people come back. I bough 2 cars from Charlotte @ Latoff and been disappointed with both. Service was lacking.
Intake gaskets that fail just outside the warranty. No wonder there was a class action lawsuit for the use of Dex-cool.
Too bad you have no clue what you are talking about. If you were ever to have your car serviced at another dealer you would understand.
MikeM

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 16, 2008
Dennis wrote:
Anyone know where Tony went? He was an excellent Corvette mechanic..that is where I bought mine. Sorry to hear they closed!
Franco is at Stephens Automotive on Colfax in Palatine. He is a number one technician.
MikeM

Chicago, IL

#15 Dec 16, 2008
TRW wrote:
That's the problem with GM. Intake gaskets should last the life of the engine. Moron its spelled "terrible". Did you go to college?
GM should have done the repair under goodwill. Google dexcool issues with GM cars- moron I mean Matt.
Did they fix it? No, I took it to an independent mechanic because I learn a lesson from Latoff and now they are out of business.
Hmm was it out of warranty? Yes. Nuff said.
Its "customers" like you that cause good dealerships to go out of business.
Why dont you buy import and do us all a favor.
MikeM

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 16, 2008
TRW wrote:
Sold their customer list? Not hardly. Once again you have absolutely no clue. Buy an import.
MikeM

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 16, 2008
Jimmie48 wrote:
Read an article from the Tribune Transportation section a couple weeks ago... It does not come from the license registration.
The customer list comes from GM.
TRW

Buffalo Grove, IL

#18 Dec 22, 2008
Buy import... GM goes under problem solved :)

I had plenty of service done at GM Dealerships most of them terrible, except one.

I had one change spark plugs and they admitted they cross-thread spark plugs after I got it back it was mis-firing on 2 cylinders. They changed the plugs with the motor hot when I told them to leave the car overnight.

GM has no clue on how to run their own industry... That's why they recently apologized for their past products. Poor customer service has caught up with them. Union shops and poor designs.
TRW

Buffalo Grove, IL

#19 Dec 22, 2008

I had plenty of service done at GM Dealerships most of them terrible, except one.

I had one change spark plugs and they admitted they cross-thread spark plugs after I got it back it was mis-firing on 2 cylinders. They changed the plugs with the motor hot when I told them to leave the car overnight.
TRW

Buffalo Grove, IL

#20 Dec 22, 2008
MikeM wrote:
<quoted text>
The customer list comes from GM.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arlington Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mccambell Kids Mon Taxpayer for years 4
McScambell in Jail? Mon Michelle O BMI 9
My Name Nov 23 Taxpayer for Years 1
Randhurst Village Nov 23 Advance Forward 1
Elk Grove finalizes lineup for summer concert s... Nov 22 ppjc52 1
Boondocks Cafe` in Cisne Nov 21 rubycake67 6
60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) Nov 21 bystander 1,186

Arlington Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Arlington Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Arlington Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:00 am PST

Bleacher Report12:00AM
Breaking Down the Bears' Game Plan vs. Lions
NBC Sports 3:59 AM
Aaron Rodgers: It's not me against Tom Brady