Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,302
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#69996 Mar 24, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Moshiach means 'anointed one' as in Kings or priests.
When Moshiach was translated into the Greek..Moshiach became Christos or Messiah.
Christos is the basis for Christianity and has no similar basis in Judaism.
rabbee: if you can't get it right, then it is not worth getting at all. Mosheeach, eevreet derivative from the word Moshe, means Savor and Redeemer. now the words Savior or Redeemer, can be translated into any known language but not both. in order to find out, if someone has been jerking your leg. example latin, would be the root words salve or redemptio. but they do not have a word, that represents both Savior and Redeemer.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69997 Mar 24, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Moshiach means 'anointed one' as in Kings or priests.
When Moshiach was translated into the Greek..Moshiach became Christos or Messiah.
Christos is the basis for Christianity and has no similar basis in Judaism.
correct. Wasnt quite awake this morning. Y'shea means savior - not mshiach.

Location hidden

#69998 Mar 24, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
The historical Jesus (assuming someone who fits his description really existed) is just one of many self-proclaimed "mossiachs". They were a dime a dozen during his time period. Most of them were rebels, fighting for liberation from Roman occupation, and most of them ended up with the same fate (crucified by the Romans for sedition). Many of the "mossiachs" also made enemies of the Jewish priestly class who they saw as corrupt. This made Jesus a man with many enemies and few allies other than the oppressed peasants he preached to. Unfortunately, they wielded little power. And, as is often the case, the legend is bigger than the man.
Speaking of spirituality - thought this artilce was more thought provoking - probably should of posted it instead

The pseudo-science of Alcoholics Anonymous: There’s a better way to treat addiction

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the_pseudo_sc...

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#69999 Mar 24, 2014
and all the know saviors in scripture, were selected and appointed by G-D Only. and were not selected and appointed by alleged as men. so saviors appointed by men, are not the Saviors appointed by G-D. from Noach, Avraham, Moshe, to Adam are all appointed by G-D directly. and Moshe is only about, half way through TheTorah here in IT again. and half way through TheTorah, is approximately, 3409.000000000 man years.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#70000 Mar 24, 2014
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: if you can't get it right, then it is not worth getting at all. Mosheeach, eevreet derivative from the word Moshe, means Savor and Redeemer. now the words Savior or Redeemer, can be translated into any known language but not both. in order to find out, if someone has been jerking your leg. example latin, would be the root words salve or redemptio. but they do not have a word, that represents both Savior and Redeemer.
Sorry you are incorrect. Moshiach in Hebrew means anointed one, a human leader.

The Jewish idea of mashiach is a great human leader like King David, not a savior
http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#70001 Mar 24, 2014
yehoshooah adam wrote:
and all the know saviors in scripture, were selected and appointed by G-D Only. and were not selected and appointed by alleged as men. so saviors appointed by men, are not the Saviors appointed by G-D. from Noach, Avraham, Moshe, to Adam are all appointed by G-D directly. and Moshe is only about, half way through TheTorah here in IT again. and half way through TheTorah, is approximately, 3409.000000000 man years.
You are confusing savior and anointed one. According to the Hebrew bible there is only one savior.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
Psalm 146:3

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside Me there is no saviour.
Isaiah Chapter 43:11

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70002 Mar 24, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of spirituality - thought this artilce was more thought provoking - probably should of posted it instead
The pseudo-science of Alcoholics Anonymous: There’s a better way to treat addiction
http://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the_pseudo_sc...
Yea, I've read similar articles regarding AA. Skeptics have been after them for years.

AA has also been criticized for being a "faith-based" organization (i.e. One of the steps requires belief in a higher power). Not a problem for a private organization, per se, but when a court orders someone to attend a meeting where they are pushing a "higher power", that becomes a problem and a clear violation of the first amendment. From what I understand, though, they are now getting around that by downplaying that step and making it more "secular" (i.e. higher power can be nature, humanism, etc...)

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70003 Mar 24, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you are incorrect. Moshiach in Hebrew means anointed one, a human leader.
The Jewish idea of mashiach is a great human leader like King David, not a savior
http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm
I agree,.

Location hidden

#70004 Mar 24, 2014
Judaism, it G-d, its dualism, its human/animal sacrifices, its beliefs are borrowed from the Babylonian cults of the surrounding region. The mysticism in Judaism is not nondualism but based on some form of sorcery.

Location hidden

#70005 Mar 24, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, I've read similar articles regarding AA. Skeptics have been after them for years.
AA has also been criticized for being a "faith-based" organization (i.e. One of the steps requires belief in a higher power). Not a problem for a private organization, per se, but when a court orders someone to attend a meeting where they are pushing a "higher power", that becomes a problem and a clear violation of the first amendment. From what I understand, though, they are now getting around that by downplaying that step and making it more "secular" (i.e. higher power can be nature, humanism, etc...)
Reading the comments, an interesting distinction was made for those that attend voluntarily (and want on some level to quit but need some type of "assistance"), and those sentenced to attend (who just want to get their forms signed). The former group might explain the efficacy. Preconceived buy-in.

Sometime around 25-30 years ago, the courts got into game, and now the majority are in the latter group.

I started out reading that article skeptically, but by the time I finished, the author had a good point. Figure out the triggers. My inner Bhuddist won out over my inner spiritualist. Lol.

Location hidden

#70006 Mar 24, 2014
-Sprocket- wrote:
<quoted text>I agree,.
Praise be to you!

Location hidden

#70007 Mar 24, 2014
typo

ITS G-d

Location hidden

#70008 Mar 24, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand, though, they are now getting around that by downplaying that step and making it more "secular" (i.e. higher power can be nature, humanism, etc...)
I had assumed that they always made it general enough (though what do I know?), however, the author had a good point in that no matter what the flavor of the deity, the world view is that man is flawed and in need of some type of savoir(ing). That is an inherently Christian world view - shades of original sin - not necessarily found in other religions. I am not sure what a Jewish approach would be, but I would imagine it would involve some type of request for assistance without the self-deprecation. Or not?

Location hidden

#70009 Mar 24, 2014
There's nothing original, profound or lofty in Judaism. What I mean is that before the grandeur or sublimity of say Vedanta or Buddhism, Judaism comes across as a riff raff tribal cult.

Location hidden

#70010 Mar 24, 2014
Well, I enjoyed playing squash today and will be playing the fast sport regularly from now on.

Location hidden

#70011 Mar 24, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
There's nothing original, profound or lofty in Judaism. What I mean is that before the grandeur or sublimity of say Vedanta or Buddhism, Judaism comes across as a riff raff tribal cult.
poser

Location hidden

#70012 Mar 24, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Judaism, it G-d, its dualism, its human/animal sacrifices, its beliefs are borrowed from the Babylonian cults of the surrounding region.
If that was really true I would of been issued a library card.
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
The mysticism in Judaism is not nondualism but based on some form of sorcery.
I'll remember that next time I need to get my broom tuned up. Better watch your back!

Location hidden

#70013 Mar 24, 2014
Well, I simply love watching vids/reading books on wildlife and feel refreshed thereafter.

Location hidden

#70014 Mar 24, 2014
Wild animals should not be kept/bred in captivity.

Location hidden

#70015 Mar 24, 2014
Circuses that keep wild animals should be penalized and the rescued animals should be rehabilitated until they become capable of being set free in their natural habitats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arenas Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) 8 hr Simo2504 616
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Arenas Valley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web