Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,006
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66521 Jan 29, 2014
yehoshooah adam wrote:
can G-D'S anger at this whole world, explain global warming - or for your own climb it change?
who says God is angry?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66522 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was that on one hand, you are asserting that Hitchens occupation as a drunk has nothing to do with his actions (in this case making an offensive statement), but yet the actions of someone who happens to be religious must be attributable to his/her affiliation.
1. Drunk is not an occupation and had nothing to do with what he said. Sober or drunk, his position was consistent.

2. I see his statement more as provocative, not offensive. But of course, this is highly subjective.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#66523 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
who says God is angry?
rabbee: well i know you don't believe this, but G-D did when THEY/BOTH came to visit with me. "Behold! on this very hour and this very day, the father of your family, your country, and your world has committed a great, great sin against I-AM."

and of course, all of you alleged perfect people. are not going to believe, this. because you would rather believe in the lies of this world, than The Truth from G-D here in TheTorah.

you think i like giving this message, to this world of ingrates?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66524 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You might not realize it, but the normative interpretation that verse is that you can monetize damages and sue. The key is proportional. I.E. as in not excessive. I.E. if you damage someones eye its not fair to go after their teeth....
The legal term is be "made whole" again.

Legal channels makes it ok.

And you might go after more for punitive reasons.

Location hidden

#66525 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but tikkun olam is a generalized value, beyond the individual mitzvot (biblical injunctions).
It is rooted in post-biblical theology, so it is part of the religion. Judaism is based on more than just the biblical period.
Also, there is a wealth of theology behind the meaning of the mitzvot that has nothing to do with reward and punishment .
Plus the reward-punishment paradigm is not the only biblical paradigm anyway (see Job, Ecclesiastes, and Jonah for examples of other paradigms)- thats a singular and simplistic interpretation.
Like I said earlier, if one is doing good deeds outside of any imperatives from their faith, then they are exhibiting humanistic qualities, at which point we are no longer talking about religion.

Likewise, if one is doing bad deeds outside of any imperatives from their faith, then they are exhibiting sociopathic, criminal, or some other negative human quality and again, we are no longer talking about religion.

If, however, someone who would normally behave well, is suddenly behaving badly because of some perceived imperative from their faith, then I think it is fair game to attribute that behaviour to their religious beliefs (e.g. Islamic suicide bombers).

Location hidden

#66526 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
All of these gripes could equally be foisted on secular society as well. Its not anymore mans nature to unify than to fragment. Religion, sports, arts, etc all excuses for tribalism. And, to extend Rahbees insight, they ALL provide cover for people to make immoral as well as moral decisions.
But sports, arts, etc... don't claim to be the purveyors of objective morality, as many religions do, so I think your trying to compare apples with oranges.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66527 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a Jew ridicule his own beliefs? Have you ever MET a Jew? We're not hard to find. Talk to your boss, your landlord, your parole officer ... try to get some first hand information on us.
Do I believe Judaism is better than other faiths? Yes, but only for me. I believe that whatever you believe is best for you (and if it's not, why would you believe it?).
Good - glad to hear you have a sense of humor!

And that you agree that arguing about Moses is the same as arguing
about unicorns.

That's the spirit!

But, why did it take so long?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66528 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! I happen to be a hillbilly (the Jewish variety) and we have a long history and rich culture. I find your condescending tone offensive to my people and my creed. I personally have never had to shoot anyone near my still because I keep it locked up. Prevention is better than cure.
And the biblical injunction isn't "Thou shalt not kill", it is "You shall not murder.", People kill all the time, we kill to eat, to keep our homes from of vermin and to survive. Murder, on the other hand is a completely different thing involving the deliberate killing of a person not in the defence of ourselves or others and (most of the time) I agree it's impolite to murder someone.
I don't think I said anything bad about hillbillies/cousin fxxkers - did I?

Never heard the version of the command that you refer to. But you can probably correct me all day long anything to do with religion/ the Yiddish language/ the bible etc. Have at it. And I won't even be offended!

Murder is a legal term.

But I would think that religion (as does the law) takes into account "degree and intent."

So, sure killing in self defense or to feed ones family is different than murder. The law allows for this.

Do you believe in revenge killing? It seem Frijoles might.

;)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66529 Jan 29, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical stupid comment from the almost-brainless idiot that might as well be the brainless idiot for excellence.
Don't give too much importance to yourself, deluded. I can care less about your pathetic reasoning and hypocrisy.
Way harsh.

Love thy neighbor.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66530 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
the quote was that it made otherwise moral people do disgusting things, and the author was none other than Christopher Hitchens, a drunk.
Very smart and eloquent fellow.

I miss him.

I was a bit of Bush fan and I didn't like that
but he spoke very intelligently on many matters.

Some of our greatest geniuses have been drinkers.

Even Rick has a still.

:))
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66531 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
It's safe to say that an equal to or greater number of people have been stopped or dissuaded from doing immoral things by the tenets of their faiths.
Given that none of us are able to see into the hearts of others, we don't know.
But you're speaking about individuals vs larger groups of people/nations/armies etc.

I don't that's safe to say at all.

My parents taught me the difference between right and wrong.

The only exception is when I'm buying a car....as in "What would Jesus drive?"
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66532 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
..... Just because someone identifies as religions does not make them an automaton.
But it helps.

Location hidden

#66533 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I said anything bad about hillbillies/cousin fxxkers - did I?
Never heard the version of the command that you refer to. But you can probably correct me all day long anything to do with religion/ the Yiddish language/ the bible etc. Have at it. And I won't even be offended!
Murder is a legal term.
But I would think that religion (as does the law) takes into account "degree and intent."
So, sure killing in self defense or to feed ones family is different than murder. The law allows for this.
Do you believe in revenge killing? It seem Frijoles might.
;)
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0220.htm
12 Thou shalt not murder.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Its the actual translation - not the pop translation you are familiar with.

----------
I dont believe in revenge killing. Again, you misunderstand. Eye for an eye is interpreted as allowing FAIR compensatory damages - i.e. it introduces the concept of torts and monitization - a civilized approach.

Location hidden

#66534 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
But it helps.
Spurious correlation. Many religious folk are not cut in the same cloth as the fundies you are familiar with. COR suffers the same error - lumps everyone in to the same group.

Location hidden

#66535 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I miss him.
Even Rick has a still.
could be argued that they would be even more of a genius had they not be sods

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66536 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
...Do you believe in revenge killing? It seem Frijoles might.
;)
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid."

-- Jayne Cobb

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#66537 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Way harsh.
Way subjective.
former res wrote:
<quoted text>Love thy neighbor.
He's not one of my neighbors...

Location hidden

#66538 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Spurious correlation. Many religious folk are not cut in the same cloth as the fundies you are familiar with. COR suffers the same error - lumps everyone in to the same group.
Not in the least. At no point did I say ALL religious people act similarly. But you cannot deny that religion does have a major influence on many peoples' behavior and decision making. Look no further than our own Bible Belt as well as the GOP, who've made a career out of denying women, gays and other minorities equal rights under the guise of it being sinful.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66539 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're speaking about individuals vs larger groups of people/nations/armies etc.
I don't that's safe to say at all.
My parents taught me the difference between right and wrong.
The only exception is when I'm buying a car....as in "What would Jesus drive?"
Former--- "What would Jesus drive?"

HughBe--- His chariot of clouds.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66540 Jan 29, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I miss him.
Even Rick has a still.
Former---Some of our greatest geniuses have been drinkers. Even Rick has a still.

HughBe--- The link that you have made explains your lack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arenas Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Arenas Valley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Arenas Valley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Arenas Valley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Arenas Valley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:37 pm PST

Bleacher Report 5:37PM