Future ban proposed for some fireworks

Future ban proposed for some fireworks

There are 8 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jun 25, 2009, titled Future ban proposed for some fireworks. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

It's all about the noise. As the sale of fireworks kicked off Saturday in preparation for the celebration of the Fourth of July, the town council is considering proposing an ordinance for next year that would ban the sale and use of certain types of fireworks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

Silver Sally

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jun 25, 2009
It's not a little noise. It begins the hour before sunset & continues till past midnight. Every night, for weeks. In my neighborhood, we lose the barking dogs & gain the fireworks for nearly a month. Still can't open the windows at night. "A great way to celebrate our heritage". Whose heritage? Mine celebrates on the 4th of July!
ContinentalGal

AOL

#3 Jun 26, 2009
I guess it will take a huge fire down the Ditch to get anything done. I was on the phone with a friend when some 'fireworks' went off several days ago and my friend said it sounded more like gunshots. You never know and in this town, anything is possible. I hate it when you are trying to sleep and some respect-challenged person sets off some loud and inconsiderate fireworks. I get people want to make a buck but if they can pass ordinances about fireworks in Bernallio county, seems to me like we could do it here. Put it up for special vote if the council and others don't get the point. The fireworks issue is also part of the noise ordinance issue. I recollect last year it took me nearly 3 months to recover from being so tired from not enough rest from fireworks noise.
TwithaT

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jun 26, 2009
It's not about culture and heritage.
It's about harrassment and abuse. Pure and simple.
That guy that sells them -
didn't he run for sheriff?
maybe his sour grapes show in his businesses.
that MD Glass Emergency repair?
looks way too much like an ambulance to be legal.
the fireworks?
he probably sells them just to run the cops crazy.
Taxi service-ride around like a cop
grown men in the county/city use them to abuse people-usually women and animals. They know if they did the same to another dude they would get their butt kicked.
geez
grow up men
this place is turning into an abusive quagmire
that could turn real ugly
Can you all PLEASE put your ego's aside for five minutes and see what is happening?

Country Boy

Silver City, NM

#5 Jun 27, 2009
TwithaT wrote:
It's not about culture and heritage.
It's about harrassment and abuse. Pure and simple.
That guy that sells them -
didn't he run for sheriff?
maybe his sour grapes show in his businesses.
that MD Glass Emergency repair?
looks way too much like an ambulance to be legal.
the fireworks?
he probably sells them just to run the cops crazy.
Taxi service-ride around like a cop
grown men in the county/city use them to abuse people-usually women and animals. They know if they did the same to another dude they would get their butt kicked.
geez
grow up men
this place is turning into an abusive quagmire
that could turn real ugly
Can you all PLEASE put your ego's aside for five minutes and see what is happening?
First, I want to say I am NOT a fan of fireworks. Having said that, I also understand that personal use of fireworks are a part of the festivities that many people in New Mexico and other parts of our country enjoy to celebrate our Independence and the beginning of a New Year.

I would like to see our councilors adopt an ordinance that LIMITS the number of days that vendors may sell their wares, and also the number of days that fireworks may be ignited. Violaters, when caught, should be cited into court and the judge should enforce the penalties provided in the ordinance. No mercy. Zero tolerance. Fine them, and if needed, jail them.

Let's not ban fireworks, let's just control their use, i.e., strict time limits, and severely punish chronic violaters!
Kirk from LA

Westminster, CA

#6 Jun 30, 2009
I like to go down to your neck of the woods and light fireworks legally during the 4th of July season. We shut it off at 10pm each night for respect of your pets and elderly. We shoot in an open and sandy field with no fire hazards around us. We wear safety gear, eye and ear protection etc.
It is so nice to visit a society that allows Americans to express their freedom. In LA, we cannot and in my city we cannot even shoot safe and sane stuff like fountains.$1000 fine and I live by the beach!
Trust me, you do not want to live in a society like this. If I were not tied to my area with job and family, I would be living down your way just for this fact. America is supposed to be the land of the free. Please work out your differences but dont start banning things. Your children and grandchildren will hate you for it. Next thing you know you will become a ridiculous over regulated society like Kaleefornia!
Try having fireworks discharged in designated areas (away from homes). Try having strict hours 10pm curfew for discharging fireworks. Remember what one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin said the 4th of July should be.....
TwithaT

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 30, 2009
Kirk from LA wrote:
I like to go down to your neck of the woods and light fireworks legally during the 4th of July season. We shut it off at 10pm each night for respect of your pets and elderly. We shoot in an open and sandy field with no fire hazards around us. We wear safety gear, eye and ear protection etc.
It is so nice to visit a society that allows Americans to express their freedom. In LA, we cannot and in my city we cannot even shoot safe and sane stuff like fountains.$1000 fine and I live by the beach!
Trust me, you do not want to live in a society like this. If I were not tied to my area with job and family, I would be living down your way just for this fact. America is supposed to be the land of the free. Please work out your differences but dont start banning things. Your children and grandchildren will hate you for it. Next thing you know you will become a ridiculous over regulated society like Kaleefornia!
Try having fireworks discharged in designated areas (away from homes). Try having strict hours 10pm curfew for discharging fireworks. Remember what one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin said the 4th of July should be.....
I totally dig your point. However, what has crossed the line here is that the fireworks are not utilized to enjoy but rather used to intimidate, abuse and harass. If something isn't done here, people are going to start turning on one another. Why? Because everybody has to be "right" about everything and their point of view. Our Country was built on the premise of tolerance. Ben Franklin would NOT recognize what has happened and is happening to this country. I don't think he would think fireworks were a good idea either.
Observer

Morenci, AZ

#8 Aug 21, 2009
Kirk does have a good point though......pretty much everything is banned in California.....be careful what we wish for.
older than dirt

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Aug 21, 2009
It is absolutely ridiculous for the State of NM, Grant County, and Silver City to allow fireworks. It is a volatile environment at best, and I'm amazed at the ignorance of those that that proclaim it a right associated with their freedom. It is as inconsiderate as talking on a cellphone while driving...I suspect it is the same ignoramuses participating in both destructive behaviors. Since when have we disassociated rights with their inherent responsibilities?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arenas Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 hr Black Ice 72,074
Silver City Tourist Experience Apr 18 Visiting Tourists 1
News Senator Morales condemns citizenship question o... Apr 3 Rayber Degn 1
News Silver City street improvements total $13 million Mar '18 Nice 1
News Prior sex offender from Silver City sentenced t... Feb '18 Dan Yardbird 2
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... (Jul '16) Feb '18 rwreck86 3
Confirmed Denny's IS moving into Silver City (Nov '08) Feb '18 FEMA Region lll 29

Arenas Valley Jobs

Personal Finance

Arenas Valley Mortgages