Pedestrian fatally struck by car on H...

Pedestrian fatally struck by car on Hwy 180

There are 32 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from May 7, 2010, titled Pedestrian fatally struck by car on Hwy 180. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

A pedestrian was hit by a car and killed Friday morning while trying to cross Highway 180.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
So Sad

AOL

#1 May 8, 2010
My heart goes out to Mr Melendrez and his family. This is disgusting. Maybe there should be a pedestrian marking like in front of the post office. There's enough business and the mobile home park out there to where there should be more respect for those on foot. Such a tragedy.
Norma

Albuquerque, NM

#2 May 8, 2010
Mr. Melendrez had lived a long life. Bless his heart! I feel sorry for the young man that hit him. I pray he will be ok. Bless his heart too!
Linda

Santa Fe, NM

#3 May 8, 2010
Not only is it very sad that Mr. Melendrez was hit and killed, but this incident will remain with the unnamed driver forever. I'm sorry for both families.
TPM

Silver City, NM

#4 May 8, 2010
May God comfort all in this sad time.
leroy

Safford, AZ

#5 May 8, 2010
So Sad wrote:
My heart goes out to Mr Melendrez and his family. This is disgusting. Maybe there should be a pedestrian marking like in front of the post office. There's enough business and the mobile home park out there to where there should be more respect for those on foot. Such a tragedy.
So so sad, I just hope that a cell phone was not part of it.
leroy

Safford, AZ

#6 May 8, 2010
So sad, I just hope that a cell phone was not involved.
Jose

Denver, CO

#7 May 8, 2010
Saw pedestrian at last minute.... That don't sound right to me.... Supposed to be watching road at all times. How could you not see him ? Texting ? HMMMM Sorry to hear this....
country boy

Silver City, NM

#8 May 8, 2010
Let the cops do the investigation before any one starts pointing fingers. No speculation, please.
Driversneedtoslo wdown

United States

#9 May 8, 2010
People are driving way to fast on Hwy 180. In less than 24hrs 4 lives were lost on 180 Friday May 7th. An 89 yr old man, 2 dogs, and a 34yr old. While departing Silver City eastward Friday evening a vehicle in the right lane struck and killed a dog crossing the highway. I swerved to avoid colliding and I hit another dog who must have been traveling with the first. I immediately pulled over to remove them from the highway but was unable to get to them before several other vehicles struck them repeatedly. Traffic was heavy and way too fast! I witnessed a couple of vehicles swerve to avoid these dogs in the road and was amazed they didn't wreck in the process. After a few cars passed I was able to remove one to the side of the road but had to wait several minutes for other vehicles to whiz by. It was obvious to me that most of these vehicles were traveling at a speed above 55mph. I know it was Friday and the people were eager for the weekend but we all have to share this highway and we need to be considerate of other drivers as well as have reactionary time should a person, dog or deer try to cross the road. I was really amazed, that there were not more collisions with the rate of speed people were using. People, Please slow down. This is my request. It's been a rough weekend for several families after losing their loved ones. Please, let's not make it worse. Buying a loaf of bread, a 12pk of beer, visiting friends or family are not so important that we can't use caution and reach our destinations safely and still be alive to enjoy one anothers company. Thanks. Please be SAFE.
stopandthink

Morenci, AZ

#10 May 9, 2010
Jose wrote:
Saw pedestrian at last minute.... That don't sound right to me.... Supposed to be watching road at all times. How could you not see him ? Texting ? HMMMM Sorry to hear this....
Dont be such a jerk you dont think this kid is going through enough alredy, my heart goes out to both. I do agree about you having your eyes on the road at all time but do you follow that rule and be honest no lies, Im guilty of a wondering eye while Im driving we all are guilty of it. Eaither way it is a shame of what happend no matter whose fault it was, someone lost there life, may his soul be at rest
what

Albuquerque, NM

#11 May 9, 2010
does anybody know if this man worked at mike's tires?? my heart goes out to all involved
Driversneedtoslo wdown

United States

#12 May 9, 2010
what wrote:
does anybody know if this man worked at mike's tires?? my heart goes out to all involved
I was told he owned the laundromat in Santa Clara. Was a businessman. You may look into that to see if it's true.
MIchelle

El Paso, TX

#13 May 9, 2010
Very sad news. Rest in peace Mr. Melendrez. Texting may have caused the driver to not see Mr. Melendrez. That was quite an impact. More investigating needs to be done. Search the phone records.
Roughrider

Los Alamos, NM

#14 May 9, 2010
MIchelle wrote:
Very sad news. Rest in peace Mr. Melendrez. Texting may have caused the driver to not see Mr. Melendrez. That was quite an impact. More investigating needs to be done. Search the phone records.
Or maybe the elderly man should have stayed of a divided highway where the posted speed limit is 55 miles per hour. Don't wish death upon anybody, but if he would've stayed off of US 180 then he would still be alive
Bella

Silver City, NM

#15 May 9, 2010
Seriously, I despise the pedestrian crosswalk in front of the post office - if only because half the time I stop and the other lane doesn't. That area is heavily travelled and most times, some drivers are speeding. Please stop blaming cell phones. Cell phones are not killing people. It is the idiots who use them while texting.
My condolences go out to both families.
Concerned

Globe, AZ

#16 May 10, 2010
There have been WAY too many accidents/crashes in front of Wranglers. Visibility is clear in both directions, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but it is clear that there is a major problem right there. Condolences to Mr. Melendrez' family.
yeah Sure

Silver City, NM

#17 May 10, 2010
Report that a younger person was involved in an accident and people start assuming the the kid was texting, well let's assume that alcohol was involved too. Are you still thinking I'm talking about the kid? No I'm not. The Wrangler/Rio De Arenas main point of business is booze, and people are always running across the street, and it's usually for a 12 pack of beer.
Gila Girl

Los Alamos, NM

#18 May 10, 2010
Silver and surrounding area is becoming very anti pedestrian/bicycler. I have had a vehicle swerve to try to hit me while I was on my bike. My daughter has had a vehicle speed up when she was on foot, trying to cross at an intersection. What I would like to know is, why all the anger at pedestrians and cyclists? And to the poster that said "why was he crossing 180?" - well, what was he supposed to do? Float over? Get in his car and drive the 50' over? More people need to get out and walk, or ride a bike. Maybe then we wouldn't have such a problem with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other sedentary lifestyle epidemics going on. And drivers need to be more considerate of those not in cars, and other drivers, as well, for that matter.
Fester

Albuquerque, NM

#19 May 10, 2010
Gila Girl wrote:
Silver and surrounding area is becoming very anti pedestrian/bicycler. I have had a vehicle swerve to try to hit me while I was on my bike. My daughter has had a vehicle speed up when she was on foot, trying to cross at an intersection. What I would like to know is, why all the anger at pedestrians and cyclists? And to the poster that said "why was he crossing 180?" - well, what was he supposed to do? Float over? Get in his car and drive the 50' over? More people need to get out and walk, or ride a bike. Maybe then we wouldn't have such a problem with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other sedentary lifestyle epidemics going on. And drivers need to be more considerate of those not in cars, and other drivers, as well, for that matter.
You girls is gotta git crossed over that road one way or atother. You dun seein drivers comin at ya like that a fist full a roofin nails gonna stop em might quick. Learn em to never do that sorta carryin on an such.
Linda

Santa Fe, NM

#20 May 10, 2010
MIchelle wrote:
Very sad news. Rest in peace Mr. Melendrez. Texting may have caused the driver to not see Mr. Melendrez. That was quite an impact. More investigating needs to be done. Search the phone records.
Do you have any concrete reason to believe that "texting may have caused the driver not to see Mr. Melendrez")?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arenas Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deming MainStreet puts focus on economic develo... (Jan '10) Nov 15 Jackie 53
News Reward offered in rash of burglaries (Sep '09) Nov 15 nairy 41
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Oct '16 Agnostic 72,043
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Sep '16 Tony 627
News Santa Clara mayor Imelda Lopez resigns (Jul '09) Sep '16 Youwishusetobethere 4
News Southwest Print Fiesta will be held on Labor Da... Aug '16 just asking 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... (Jun '15) Aug '16 save the water 5

Arenas Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arenas Valley Mortgages