Locals protest fireworks stands

Locals protest fireworks stands

There are 107 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jun 26, 2011, titled Locals protest fireworks stands. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

A handful of Silver City residents are going to let their wallets do the talking to try to get the message across that they don't want fireworks in their community - at least this year - because of the fire danger during these extraordinarily dry conditions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ron G

Denver, CO

#1 Jun 26, 2011
I agree, but on the other hand it is a free country... live and let live. Why protest against people and companies for thier rights. We are a free country. Please do not spoil it, by shooting your own feet people!..
I decided to forgo fire works this year. It is just too dry here in Belen NM. But then taht is MY RIGHT> right?
geez2

Silver City, NM

#2 Jun 27, 2011
Horray for the protestors!The church is selling the people of grant county out for a few bucks.
silvercity liz

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 27, 2011
The Pastor asks "Why take it out on me?"
I ask, why take it out on our homes, pets, and wild lands? I've already heard fireworks here, less than a mile from down town. It's illegal. Why provide them for sale?
cosmic troll

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 27, 2011
Fireworks are an infantile practice whose time has come to an end. There is nothing free when there is a remote chance to start a damaging fire and scaring pets so much they tremble. I support the protesters and will not be shopping at the stores that are allowing the out of town corporation to sell and take the money out of the local economy. As far as the church goes it doesn't seem they are concerned about the welfare of the community. Shame on them. Just more evidence of the graft and corruption in Santa Fe.
DisturbedBridezi lla

Silver City, NM

#5 Jun 27, 2011
This "church" places more value on money than on protecting people and property. Please attend the picketing at Food basket Monday 5pm, bring a sign if you can. Help stop this disgusting man and his troop of thieves who would risk our safety to line their pockets. Let them know that you will place all blame on this church for any fires that result from fireworks and will expect them to pay all restitution. Let them know that the community will take a billboard in Arenas Valley advertising the danger that Mark Fisher and the Word of Life Church placed on our community, that we will call them the Word of Death Church!
Letmetalk

United States

#6 Jun 27, 2011
Money talks- Don't buy the fireworks and don't shop at either of these stores. After this series of wild fires I would like to see the fireworks issue put to a vote countywide- I think we would see the sale and use of fireworks banned completely. It is simply foolish to think there won't be more fires caused by their use.
Change up

United States

#7 Jun 27, 2011
Let everyone that buys fireworks, set them off behind this yahoos Church.
Justa Thought

AOL

#8 Jun 27, 2011
Make sure you keep your sinus clear this next week or so so you can smell any little hint of fire. I smelt bbq briquets last night somewhere around here. I been hearing fireworks in the middle of the night for a week already. The whole thing is scary. I'm getting really fed up with being on Red high alert like some kind of bloodhound. I'm really fed up with feeling terrorized during fireworks season when it's really dry out. And what's more absurd is seeing Gov. Martinez on TV pleading for sanity and safety with fireworks use. She's the freaking governor and acts like she's being held hostage by the fireworks dealers. It's insane. It's mind boggling the lack of common sense. It's as stupid as this bit of giving driver lisences to illegals of any sort.
Elkstine

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 Jun 27, 2011
or...
if the state doesn't allow any stricter response, then require every seller and buyer to register every purchase (ala gun purchases) and then if a fire starts hold someone responsible with hefty fines.
Laurie in Bayard

United States

#10 Jun 27, 2011
One would think that the governor, who has the right to call out the National Guard to fight fires, would also have the right to ban firework sales in the state during times of extreme drought. As for the statement "Fireworks don't start fires, people start fires," that holds true for alcohol, guns and drugs and since we can't ban irresponsible people ...
FarmFresh

Silver City, NM

#11 Jun 27, 2011
Once again a "leader" defends their actions by saying that "it isn't illegal" and "I am going to make a lot of money". No question of morality ever enters his head when the vision of profit is all consuming..... wait a minute, isn't this guy a CHRISTIAN MINISTER?
Ski

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 27, 2011
I don’t think this is a "free" country in the sense Ron G means. Because we live in a society and because our society is comprised of many different philosophies and political persuasions, there has to be rules for our common good.

And it seems to me that the most important rule for our common good is public safety. As I see it, public safety regulations trump anyone's perceived "right" to engage in any act that is life-threatening.

Even though it may be legal to sell certain classes of fireworks (thanks to asinine state-level politics), the Town of Silver City and its Fire Chief have wisely decided to bar open flames during this period of extreme drought and fire conditions. This means it is currently not permissible in that jurisdiction to use any ignition source to light fireworks. Given the extremely dangerous current conditions we are living in right now, this is an entirely justified public safety rule that should trump anyone’s “right” to light and set off fireworks—even those purchased legally.

I commend Ron G in his decision to forgo setting off fireworks during this time of extreme fire danger. I also wish we all were that wise and that responsible to each other’s welfare.
Citizens

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 27, 2011
Disgusting. "Fireworks don't start fires, people do." No. Fireworks start fires. Period. Do you think people are buying them to sit on the shelf and admire? Fireworks start fires.

More disgusting is to see a pastor saying that something immoral is okay because it's legal. I can't believe that a church is willing to accept responsibility for the loss of property and lives that could come from the type of fire that these fireworks could start. I'm not in Silver City right now, if I were I'd be organizing a protest at the church.
Citizens

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jun 27, 2011
Speaking of protests, does anyone know if there are stores that normally allow fireworks stands that have not allowed them this dry summer? I'll bet there are, and those stores need to be supported strongly.
Nick

Silver City, NM

#15 Jun 27, 2011
Fireworks are only legal to sell for two weeks before July 4th and three days before Cinco De Mayo and New Years. I agree that people should not be setting any off until after the rains start in mid July, but when the law restricts sales for only those few weeks, why are we surprised when people are selling them then?

If our lawmakers would simply suspend the sales until some time after the rains start, say in late July or early August, then they could legally be sold when it is safe to use them. If you want to protest to someone, start with the lawmakers.
goback2wrUcamefr om

Silver City, NM

#16 Jun 27, 2011
How did Silver City ever get by before all the sign holdin' do gooders moved here? I haven't bought fireworks in years but it looks like I will now.
Bill

Huntsville, AL

#17 Jun 27, 2011
Even allowing fireworks is totally insane. I understand that there is a law banning any law against banning fireworks on private property, but we are in a state of emergency. Further, there is no listing of any "Church of Life". If Life is a primary concern, why not take steps to protect LIFE? Readers may want to explore what other business (pl) the owners of Food Basket own.
Yeah

Silver City, NM

#18 Jun 27, 2011
Nick wrote:
Fireworks are only legal to sell for two weeks before July 4th and three days before Cinco De Mayo and New Years. I agree that people should not be setting any off until after the rains start in mid July, but when the law restricts sales for only those few weeks, why are we surprised when people are selling them then?
If our lawmakers would simply suspend the sales until some time after the rains start, say in late July or early August, then they could legally be sold when it is safe to use them. If you want to protest to someone, start with the lawmakers.
Actually Nick, by City Ordinance there are no sales before June 29th or 30th I believe for the 4th.
my2cents

Silver City, NM

#19 Jun 27, 2011
Wow, I never knew alcoholics and drug addicts went to firework stands to get help! Maybe Border Area Mental Health Services should open up a stand! LOL, that has to be at the top of the list as one of the most stupid excuses to be doing something that, while legal, is morally wrong, dumb, idiotic, etc.
People see through that excuse, pastor. It's a way to raise funds for your church: PERIOD!!!
LoveSCNM

Silver City, NM

#21 Jun 27, 2011
The pastor had an opportunity to be a true leader and consider the well being of the entire community, not just his own church. His decision is selfish and irresponsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arenas Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southwest Print Fiesta will be held on Labor Da... Aug 18 just asking 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... (Jun '15) Aug 4 save the water 5
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul 24 TWP 72,037
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul '16 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul '16 mrtnz1955 2
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Jun '16 Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun '16 Tony 625

Arenas Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Arenas Valley Mortgages