Man gets 11 years for killing friend, dumping body

There are 9 comments on the Dec 22, 2010, San Francisco Chronicle story titled Man gets 11 years for killing friend, dumping body. In it, San Francisco Chronicle reports that:

An Arcata man has been sentenced to 11 years in prison after pleading guilty to killing his 23-year-old friend and dumping her body off an Oregon bridge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Francisco Chronicle.

Zman

San Jose, CA

#1 Dec 22, 2010
What has happened to our laws? This is such a shame on all of us.
We send people to jail for marijuana for longer terms than we do now for killing someone and then dumping their body.

All of us need to wake up and see what has happened to our cities and country.
I am so sorry to the family of the victim.

11 years? With good time, he's going to be out by when she would have been turning only 30.

Sometimes these stories are so sad, and it happens more and more lately.
Our laws are a joke.
Some CC guy

Crescent City, CA

#2 Dec 24, 2010
Well, murders are appearing to be more common. Im on the the registry as a sex offender? What about murderers? I can go to prison for a very long time by not following the rules of the registry. He doesn't have that obligation. Let's either ditch the registry altogether, or at least fight to track those who do these kind of crimes?
sue cyr

Eureka, CA

#3 Feb 25, 2011
Some CC guy wrote:
Well, murders are appearing to be more common. Im on the the registry as a sex offender? What about murderers? I can go to prison for a very long time by not following the rules of the registry. He doesn't have that obligation. Let's either ditch the registry altogether, or at least fight to track those who do these kind of crimes?
you, are guilty of false impersonation for the purpose of harming another,
treeonthecoast

Crescent City, CA

#4 Mar 10, 2011
To you Some CC Guy, If you are a sex offender what list do you thank that you should be on, Santa's good list? Just because one crime is worse than an other doesn't mean that yours should be discounted. And you should now be put on a pedestal. You know what to do to keep from getting in trouble. Respect others and yourself as well!

Since: May 09

california

#5 Mar 10, 2011
treeonthecoast wrote:
To you Some CC Guy, If you are a sex offender what list do you thank that you should be on, Santa's good list? Just because one crime is worse than an other doesn't mean that yours should be discounted. And you should now be put on a pedestal. You know what to do to keep from getting in trouble. Respect others and yourself as well!
yes, respect for Michelle Dickson who was stabbed by her so called friend who thought he had the right... and respect for children who are going to grow up a regret having anything to do with those who use sex to ruin their lives.

california

#6 Mar 10, 2011
The Tuskegee syphilis experiment[1](also known as the Tuskegee syphilis study or Public Health Service syphilis study) was an infamous clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Alabama by the U.S. Public Health Service to study the natural progression of untreated syphilis in poor, rural black men who thought they were receiving free health care from the U.S. government.[1]

The Public Health Service, working with the Tuskegee Institute, began the study in 1932. Investigators enrolled in the study a total of 399 impoverished, African-American sharecroppers from Macon County, Alabama who had previously contracted syphilis before the study began. For participating in the study, the men were given free medical care, meals, and free burial insurance. They were never told they had syphilis, nor were they ever treated for it. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the men were told they were being treated for "bad blood," a local term used to describe several illnesses, including syphilis, anemia and fatigue.

The 40-year study was controversial for reasons related to ethical standards; primarily because researchers knowingly failed to treat patients appropriately after the 1940s validation of penicillin as an effective cure for the disease they were studying. Revelation of study failures by a whistle-blower led to major changes in U.S. law and regulation on the protection of participants in clinical studies. Now studies require informed consent (with exceptions possible for U.S. Federal agencies which can be kept secret by Executive Order[2]), communication of diagnosis, and accurate reporting of test results.[3]

By 1947, penicillin had become the standard treatment for syphilis. Choices available to the doctors involved in the study might have included treating all syphilitic subjects and closing the study, or splitting off a control group for testing with penicillin. Instead, the Tuskegee scientists continued the study without treating any participants and withholding penicillin and information about it from the patients. In addition, scientists prevented participants from accessing syphilis treatment programs available to others in the area.[citation needed] The study continued, under numerous US Public Health Service supervisors, until 1972, when a leak to the press eventually resulted in its termination. The victims of the study included numerous men who died of syphilis, wives who contracted the disease, and children born with congenital syphilis.[4]

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, cited as "arguably the most infamous biomedical research study in U.S. history,"[5] led to the 1979 Belmont Report and the establishment of the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP).[6] It also led to federal laws and regulations requiring Institutional Review Boards for the protection of human subjects in studies involving human subjects. The Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) manages this responsibility within the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).[7]

california

#7 Mar 10, 2011
Now that makes me wonder about who is killing who.
with aids, sex kills!

When I go and get an aids/HIV test at the free clinic office, if my negative reading is accurate or an aids experiment.
or just a way for the county to save money for treatment.
hoping I'd die soon.
where is the love and respect?

california

#8 Mar 10, 2011
After penicillin was found to be an effective treatment for syphilis, the study continued for another 25 years without treating those suffering from the disease. After the study and its consequences became front-page news, it was ended in a day.[23] The aftershocks of this study, and other human experiments in the United States, led to the establishment of the National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research and the National Research Act.

Now that makes me wonder about who is killing who.
with aids, sex kills!
annoyinMiss

Brookings, OR

#9 Sep 16, 2012
We send people to jail for marijuana for longer terms than we do now for killing someone
and then dumping their body.

I am so sorry to the family of the victim.

11 years?
With good time, he's going to be out in 6

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arcata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Riverside Police And DA Please Read This 7 hr Charlie Sheenn 4
News Arcata man arrested after police recover missin... (Jul '08) Feb '15 really 20
Man electrocuted, pronounced dead at mill site Jan '15 Bob Wilson 2
News Humboldt's homeless examine options for winter ... (Feb '09) Dec '14 BUSH 123
Review: Wayne Bare Trucking (Nov '10) Dec '14 guest 26
News Arson suspect arrested in connection with McKin... (Jun '10) Dec '14 gotham messiah 33
Humboldts Sheriff - Constitutional Interpreter (Sep '14) Sep '14 Sacramento Dave 1
More from around the web

Arcata People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]