Foggy bottom: Passengers tell their stories as construction at airp...

The sentiment is shared by hundreds of local passengers who have experienced firsthand the nearly 75 percent of delayed or canceled flights out of the Arcata-Eureka Airport in the past month. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ex-Arcatan

Concord, CA

#43 Sep 14, 2010
... Zero Skywest flights in or out of ACV today...
Live here too

San Jose, CA

#44 Sep 14, 2010
truthindeed wrote:
Zuzka Sabata? With a name like that she reallyhas no reason to complain about anything.
Arcata has always had delays, cancellations and late flights. it goes with living next to the foggy Pacific.
And it is intersting that those that are complaining seem to understand the inconsistancy in weather as they stated they fly many times and always have problems.
So why fly out of Arcata?
Perhaps it would be better for everyone if the Arcata airport shut doen. Sure, that would solve the problems. To a point, then these very people would be screaming because there is no air service.
Zuzka Sabata?
Zuzka has been emailing all points.....on behalf of Del Arte complaining of mismanagement.

Too bad this fool can't figure out the real world before creating a drama. From whać I hear, Zuzie has just left on an international flight, originating from ACV. Can't wait for the next self imposed victimization, who's only positive contribution to the discussion is the equivalent of...."off with their heads" Maybe Delarte should do Alice in Wonderland next, with a perfect world twist of the idyllic on time flights and no lost baggage.

Ha... speaking of baggage. This chick seems to have a lot of it
Anonymous

Arcata, CA

#45 Sep 14, 2010
Fog Surfer wrote:
Well I woke up this morning at 4am for a flight, Horizon Airlines had emailed me that the flight was canceled. Over 50% of all flights I have taken out of here have been canceled.
Why don't they MOVE the airport to a area less foggy.
Just a thought .... but NO we spend money to improve a SUB STANDARD airport.
What a joke...
Umm, where? Find a sunny flat place near a highway and population center in Humboldt County that can accommodate a 1.5 mile runway with sufficient approach. Then find the money to build it.
2 Days in a Row Canceled

Eureka, CA

#46 Sep 14, 2010
2 Days in a Row Horizon has canceled the 6am flight to LA
because they can't get planes in here at night...
It is impossible to take this airport serious when you are doing business.

Forget fixing this one and Build a NEW AIRPORT .. somewhere on top the hills around here
above the fog... I have had more than 60% of my flights out of here canceled.
Save the Humans

Danville, CA

#47 Sep 15, 2010
I think we are going to drive to SF to avoid this quagmire.
Redwood Curtain

Grove, OK

#50 Sep 16, 2010
Who's in charge of firing this management at the Airport.This is ridiculous.No other County in Calif. would EVER put up with this lack of service. Why are we???????Why can't the ILS be
working for at least one runway? We are truly in
the Redwood Curtain.
Concerned Citizen

Grove, OK

#51 Sep 16, 2010
Are we still in the dark ages? What gives???No airport service!!!!!!Mrs. Hulsey should be fired. Surely these new requirements were sent some time
ago. Why did she and her staff wait until the last minute?What else has she forgotten?This is just another example of how the traveling public is treated!!!!!!!!!!
truthindeed

Eugene, OR

#52 Sep 16, 2010
Please,
Arcata Airport is not your typical International airport that has thousands of passengers daily. It is a step above Crescent City airport and the fine people of Humboldt County should feel lucky that there is any air service at all.
And because it is a well know fact that many flights are delayed or canceled on a regular basis should give warning to those that choose to use the air service.
And do you think the airport manager is negligent or not qualified to run the airport? Do you think a change in management would scare the fog and coastal weather away?
I think the airport does as well as it can whoever is in charge.
Time to stop complaining and drive to Redding, San Francisco, or anyother place where they have on time flights, good weather, and whatever else is lacking in your opinion at Arcata airport.
You choose to live in an area that has a history of bad weather that prevents flights from being on time, or at all. If the airport is your sole complaint, perhaps a more populated city that can support A-1 air service would be better.
Concerned Citizen

Grove, OK

#53 Sep 17, 2010
Please-
Everyone in the area knows about the fog and the
many cancelled flights over the years, however the problem is the length of time the ILS has been shut down and the problems it has caused to our many visitors and travelers and the lack of notification of the cancelled flights to the
traveling public.
Zuzka Sabata

Eureka, CA

#54 Sep 20, 2010
truthindeed wrote:
Zuzka Sabata? With a name like that she reallyhas no reason to complain about anything.
Arcata has always had delays, cancellations and late flights. it goes with living next to the foggy Pacific.
And it is intersting that those that are complaining seem to understand the inconsistancy in weather as they stated they fly many times and always have problems.
So why fly out of Arcata?
Perhaps it would be better for everyone if the Arcata airport shut doen. Sure, that would solve the problems. To a point, then these very people would be screaming because there is no air service.
Zuzka Sabata?
Well, a name like that helped get a story printed that no one was talking about, got me a meeting with the Airport Manager, and fired up a long-overdue conversation about an issue that affects a lot of people.
Jealous, perhaps?
Nanc

United States

#55 Sep 21, 2010
Yes, My flight was cancelled leaving, After flying 4 plus hours from Chicago, get to SFO, my flight was cancelled , got a 50% coupon for a motel room of United Airlines choice. No food voucher. Motel room of their choice cost me $80.00 plus $. Had to make my own plans by phone, airport wanted to put me on standby, ticket agent on phone said - No - you'll never get on a flight that way. So , I went Cresent City, husband had to take work off. I lost wages. What really ticks me off is United lied - said act of God. I don't know of any GGod who works on radar systems. I complained , and am getting a reembersment from United - suggest you all call and do the same.
Fun time

Eureka, CA

#56 Sep 21, 2010
I'm not a subscriber to this rag but why do so many of you complain about not getting local news. Obviously over a long period of time you realize it will not improve and more than likely is on it's last legs.

You have the internet and local TV news and a phone and yet you complain.
Damn people grow up and use the resources you have the info you want is out there.

Do you complain because you don't have a life or are just lazy, stupid or worse?
Pick one or all the above.
frequent flyer

Eureka, CA

#57 Sep 21, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Please-
Everyone in the area knows about the fog and the
many cancelled flights over the years, however the problem is the length of time the ILS has been shut down and the problems it has caused to our many visitors and travelers and the lack of notification of the cancelled flights to the
traveling public.
Yes, this is very true. The ILS being down has been a fiasco of lost planning, service, time, and revenue for everyone. I can understand everyone's frustration directed at the airport manager. Will anything happen?

Also, we used to have an 'on-site' air controller that's been previously moved to another location elsewhere. Having an on-site operator historically allowed for a greater of capacity of flights in and out in inclement fog, I understand.

My wife finally made it out to her business trip this afternoon... her previous trip last week was... cancelled.
truthindeed

Eugene, OR

#59 Sep 25, 2010
Zuzka Sabata wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, a name like that helped get a story printed that no one was talking about, got me a meeting with the Airport Manager, and fired up a long-overdue conversation about an issue that affects a lot of people.
Jealous, perhaps?
Jealous? Hardly. I do not need to promote my own name and accomplishements, if that is what you call them. Because someone toots their own horn does not indicate they know how to play the trumpet.
It is obvious you enjoy exploiting an issue to see your name printed so you can fill your empty ego.
You wear it well.
kris

Eureka, CA

#60 Sep 25, 2010
frequent flyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, this is very true. The ILS being down has been a fiasco of lost planning, service, time, and revenue for everyone. I can understand everyone's frustration directed at the airport manager. Will anything happen?

Also, we used to have an 'on-site' air controller that's been previously moved to another location elsewhere. Having an on-site operator historically allowed for a greater of capacity of flights in and out in inclement fog, I understand.
I remember there was an on-site air traffic controller stationed at this airport. Now directives come from a remote controller elsewhere. This has limited incoming and outgoing flights when it didn't use to happen historically.

What happened? It seems to me we should warrant an FAA visual observer due to our location, fog, and flights because it's critically neccessary to help travelers, revenue, and business. Has Humboldt County, Supervisors, and the airport asked for one to return?

Look what's happened. It's a mess currently.

Maybe readers or Mr. Lovelace has an educated observation?
JBob

Eureka, CA

#61 Sep 25, 2010
Get those flights moving! I'm tired of the delays and cancellations. What a complete waste of time. I have co-misery with the other posters here.
NATIVE

Madera, CA

#62 Sep 25, 2010
Rent a car and drive to SAC or the Bay Area! The amount saved versus flying in/out of Humboldt will amaze you.
Fun time

Eureka, CA

#63 Sep 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, where? Find a sunny flat place near a highway and population center in Humboldt County that can accommodate a 1.5 mile runway with sufficient approach. Then find the money to build it.
There is a lot of open area available in this area. Of course the best would be the Eureka airport but money is the biggest problem and the fact the politicos in charge and FAA wouldn't go for it anyway because it makes to much sense.
Zuzka Sabata

Colton, CA

#65 Sep 6, 2012
Have fun living in the status quo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arcata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Los Angeles 200,987
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 4 hr ForkBelly 7,962
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) 8 hr Glendalian 172
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 10 hr Flaggstaff 5,083
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sun theos 2,276
Review: A-L Financial Corp (Dec '08) Sun samski1987 38
TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Sep 20 Rae 216
•••
•••
•••

Arcata Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Arcata People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Arcata News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Arcata
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••