Arcata residents uncertain on panhandling ordinance

As the Arcata City Council works to reword and clarify the recently proposed Unlawful Panhandling ordinance, some Arcata residents remain uncertain that the ordinance is a solution to the core problem. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
lolman

United States

#1 Dec 14, 2009
As it happens, I have lived in Arcata 20 years. And as it happens, I have been very fortunate in my investments. Also, I have been poor in my life and I have begged, stolen, and been on food stamps. I also know how hard it is to stay clean when homeless and have tried to clean myself in public restrooms. It is a travesty of our country that anyone would have to do that.

I give hard cash--at least $2 and less often $5 or $20--to people asking for it with signs. Ms. Calhoun, to whom I have give money on at least a dozen times in the last few months--is very easy for me to give to because she is on the left of a one-way street so I can easily put the cash out my window. I keep $100 in small bills in my car just for this purpose.

I particularly seek out the apparently mentally-ill beggars who are especially ragged and dirty and snaggle-toothed. They get more and sometimes freshly purchased warm food. Sure, they might use the money for drugs or alcohol. Or they might eat food with not the proper nutrition. Or they might spend it on video games or a BJ at the library. So? I am not their daddy. They are adults. I will not diminish them by dominating their lives.

When they say "Bless you" or "thank God," I say: "No, thank me. God didn't give you food. I did." And you can too.
Frank

Sonoma, CA

#2 Dec 14, 2009
If the Arcata city council is so worried about distractions at the street corners please ban those idiots with Round Table Pizza All-you-can-eat buffet signs from jiggling and capering.

According to this ordinance, only the quiet person sitting with a sign for money at a corner is affected. If the ordinance were REALLY about distractions, it wouldn't be limited to those asking for money.
Gdog

Santa Rosa, CA

#4 Dec 14, 2009
Frank wrote:
If the Arcata city council is so worried about distractions at the street corners please ban those idiots with Round Table Pizza All-you-can-eat buffet signs from jiggling and capering.
According to this ordinance, only the quiet person sitting with a sign for money at a corner is affected. If the ordinance were REALLY about distractions, it wouldn't be limited to those asking for money.
Great point Frank. Of course the City of Arcata hasn't ever been known for its consistency.
yoursignmakesani cetarget

Locust Grove, OK

#5 Dec 14, 2009
lolman you are scum, and I hope your post is a joke... yes it is possible to be down on your luck AND STILL NOT WHORE YOUR CHILDREN ON THE CORNER ...travesty of the country? I think it was more like you couldnt bring yourself to work at the bulb farm, motel 6, or micky d's you lazy piece os s...now take your 'investments' and shove up your liberal as*, stop enabling these scum ...and frank, those with round table signs are working you dumbas*....
yoursignmakesani cetarget

Locust Grove, OK

#6 Dec 14, 2009
gdog are you really sticking up for the skank using her neglected children to scam money off of working parents so she can get a 5$ pack of smokes?
WTF

Hayden, ID

#7 Dec 14, 2009
Anyone know if Albert is around the muddy water's coffee shop. I have been out of Humboldt for five years. I use to give him money and I even bailed his dogs out from the pound.
Gdog

Santa Rosa, CA

#8 Dec 14, 2009
yoursignmakesanicetarget wrote:
gdog are you really sticking up for the skank using her neglected children to scam money off of working parents so she can get a 5$ pack of smokes?
You seem to be so blinded by your raging hatred of people you don't understand that you can't think straight!

Frank was referring to the article on which everyone is commenting. The city said that sign holders on corners distract drivers, and that was one reason for the panhandling ordinance. The sign-waving Round Table Pizza employees stand on corners, so Frank is pointing out an obvious inconsistency.
Frank

Sonoma, CA

#9 Dec 14, 2009
I see Albert now on the side of the Chevron on Valley West on some days. He's got a nice dog and Albert's always got a sunny disposition and a good word to say when you stop by, whether or not you give him anything.
Knot

Eureka, CA

#10 Dec 14, 2009
WTF wrote:
Anyone know if Albert is around the muddy water's coffee shop. I have been out of Humboldt for five years. I use to give him money and I even bailed his dogs out from the pound.
Big Al moved to Guintoli lane in front of Chevron along with a whole legion of beggars. There must be some sort of homeless rescue in the area. yoursignmakesanicetarget, I couldn't have said it better myself, your fist post is right on.
Tammy

Houston, TX

#11 Dec 14, 2009
yoursignmakesanicetarget wrote:
lolman you are scum, and I hope your post is a joke... yes it is possible to be down on your luck AND STILL NOT **** YOUR CHILDREN ON THE CORNER ...travesty of the country? I think it was more like you couldnt bring yourself to work at the bulb farm, motel 6, or micky d's you lazy piece os s...now take your 'investments' and shove up your liberal as*, stop enabling these scum ...and frank, those with round table signs are working you dumbas*....
YOU sound mentally ill! Get some help!
Seriously.
NZSummer

Oakland, CA

#12 Dec 14, 2009
"your fist post is right on. "

I think it could have used more obscenity, personal attack and especially CAPSLOCK text.

"I wish I could afford an rv space you stupid skank!"

I've noticed over my life that wealthy people are often that way *because* they are liberal and open to opportunity and new ways of thinking.

"whole legion of beggars."

By which exaggeration you mean the one or two or three around the Valley West shopping center. I give them money. The one guy particularly nearest the Village Pantry who wears a blanket as a hood is obviously mentally ill, but he is always modest and thankful and appreciative of my help.

There is a reason why giving alms is one of the pillars of Islam. Moreover, seeking out and giving alms beautifully transforms the giver more than the recipient.

Underneath your property and money, we are just humans with differing capabilities and backgrounds trying to make it through this world together. You can do it as a bad-natured recluse, or you can embrace the world and make it--just for a moment--a better place for someone as well as yourself.
Dumboldt

Eureka, CA

#13 Dec 14, 2009
Thank god. Those bums holding signs at intersections are very dangerous. Thank you for doing something about it.

Now please do something about round table, they are distractions as well, and they look lame
WTF

Menlo Park, CA

#14 Dec 14, 2009
Lets see; a young woman with two children, she can or already receives public assistance medical, WIC's program, food stamps. Unless she doesn't want the government handouts. Maybe she wants to eliminate the middleman? If so she has a more efficient program. Most government programs are lucky to spend 30% of each dollar on the service, the rest feeds the government employees.
Gdog

Santa Rosa, CA

#15 Dec 14, 2009
[QUOTE who="NZSummerThere is a reason why giving alms is one of the pillars of Islam. Moreover, seeking out and giving alms beautifully transforms the giver more than the recipient.
Underneath your property and money, we are just humans with differing capabilities and backgrounds trying to make it through this world together. You can do it as a bad-natured recluse, or you can embrace the world and make it--just for a moment--a better place for someone as well as yourself.[/QUOTE]Beautiful sentiments NZS, but you must realize that the majority of the lurkers on these threads are compassionless, hateful, soulless creatures that don't understand their fellow humans (or animals, for that matter), and worse yet, don't want to.
LOL

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Dec 14, 2009
lolman wrote:
As it happens, I have lived in Arcata 20 years. And as it happens, I have been very fortunate in my investments. Also, I have been poor in my life and I have begged, stolen, and been on food stamps. I also know how hard it is to stay clean when homeless and have tried to clean myself in public restrooms. It is a travesty of our country that anyone would have to do that.
I give hard cash--at least $2 and less often $5 or $20--to people asking for it with signs. Ms. Calhoun, to whom I have give money on at least a dozen times in the last few months--is very easy for me to give to because she is on the left of a one-way street so I can easily put the cash out my window. I keep $100 in small bills in my car just for this purpose.
I particularly seek out the apparently mentally-ill beggars who are especially ragged and dirty and snaggle-toothed. They get more and sometimes freshly purchased warm food. Sure, they might use the money for drugs or alcohol. Or they might eat food with not the proper nutrition. Or they might spend it on video games or a BJ at the library. So? I am not their daddy. They are adults. I will not diminish them by dominating their lives.
When they say "Bless you" or "thank God," I say: "No, thank me. God didn't give you food. I did." And you can too.
Then you're CAUSING the problem, you jackass.

I used to hang out with the street kids (read: homeless, by choice) on the plaza when I was in high school. It was the easiest way to get drugs. You know what I was told probably 100 times? The reason all these homeless people are in Humboldt is that we make it a paradise for them!$20? You give TWENTY FU(KING DOLLARS to these losers? What do you think they spend that on? When I was poor, I could eat for a week on $5.

These homeless come to Humboldt for 3 reasons: It never gets too hot. It never gets too cold. The people here voluntarily feed, clothe, and shelter anyone that simply doesn't want to work.

When was the last time you met a homeless person that was actually FROM Humboldt? You don't, because Humboldt is a very close-knit community and we don't let our own live on the streets.

We're happy to take everyone else's losers though.
Jojo

Hayward, CA

#17 Dec 14, 2009
Well of course we are concerned! Dah! That's how we supplement our social service benefits and drug deals!
someone stole my name

Eureka, CA

#18 Dec 14, 2009
This is not a free speech issue. Your sign is not (or should not be) protected speech when all it says is that you are asking for a handout. While I don't subscribe to the vicious hatefulness expressed by some posters, you've got to wonder why someone would move here with no money or contacts, bringing three children. I stopped giving to panhandlers, but I do contribute to the food bank and the rescue mission.
lolman

United States

#19 Dec 14, 2009
Let me clue you in to a little secret: with my investments, I do not do work either. Sure, I monitor the stock and bond markets and push a few buttons every once in a while. But the truth is that I make more money in a few hours now than I ever did in a week as an engineer in my younger days. Because I have capital. That's it. That is my total merit in this world. My capital. The American Dream. LOL!

The truth is that the homeless person with a sign is working harder than I am now, despite the fact that I could give away $500 a day without changing my lifestyle one bit. So--keep railing away at the various people who are homeless. If anything, I will give away more. Too you too if you lose everything because of your pathological attitude toward people.
Go Suck An Egg

Alameda, CA

#20 Dec 14, 2009
To all panhandlers: eat dog doo, cause it's all you'll get from us normal homeowners.
Dhrama

Berkeley, CA

#21 Dec 14, 2009
The problem is next door to the donut store-failed real estate office vacant now-

Plazoids block the sidewalk there-When Plaza cash registers don't ring like they used to bums gat blamed...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arcata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 9 hr Tina 268
who is the biggest gang in riverside? (Jan '12) Sat uglyeyesloose 26
MenifeeRELIGION NOTES: Church to celebrate cent... Dec 19 Gerald Vonberger 1
Review: Wayne Bare Trucking (Nov '10) Dec 17 guest 26
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) Dec 17 Jack Mehoff 185
Looking for my DL Samoan or Tongans? Dec 14 PolySwagg 1
Why I hate China (Aug '11) Dec 13 tacarlisle 172
Arcata Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web