Anniston, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

It saved gas money by not having to drive to Madison,Etowah,and Morgan county for legal sales. It cut out paying liquor sales taxes to those other counties and towns and brought the tax money back to where the product was being consumed.. It slashed the cost of having to purchase from the bootleggers and fraternal clubs. It allowed Adults to make purchases of Adult products without having to sneak around like criminals. If people are naive enough to try to keep an area dry,how do they think all those beer cans get there?
Arab

Arab, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

It has given the city more money, less dui's
David

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Alcohol SALES is only part of the wet/dry equation in the State of Alabama. I really don't care about the sales issue. What's important to me is that being DRY triggers a whole section of State Laws that impinge on my personal freedom. Probably the most onerous is the POSSESSION LIMIT in one's own home! Look it up. Read about it.
houston

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Arab wrote:
It has given the city more money, less dui's
can u tell that th extra tax dollars has improved the city has the city offered to lower the sales tax in light of the extra tax dollars
houston

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

David wrote:
Alcohol SALES is only part of the wet/dry equation in the State of Alabama. I really don't care about the sales issue. What's important to me is that being DRY triggers a whole section of State Laws that impinge on my personal freedom. Probably the most onerous is the POSSESSION LIMIT in one's own home! Look it up. Read about it.
did you chose to live where u live at now or are u being forced to live there if you dont like the laws that are set up by the people that represent the people in that community or state why move there then complain about the way it is move to a area that suits your way of thinking
houston

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

ThomasA wrote:
It saved gas money by not having to drive to Madison,Etowah,and Morgan county for legal sales. It cut out paying liquor sales taxes to those other counties and towns and brought the tax money back to where the product was being consumed.. It slashed the cost of having to purchase from the bootleggers and fraternal clubs. It allowed Adults to make purchases of Adult products without having to sneak around like criminals. If people are naive enough to try to keep an area dry,how do they think all those beer cans get there?
and if its voted down by the people AGAIN and u chose to keep living then why call us a bunch of old fuddy duddys there are still people out here in this world that dont like being around it why should i have to because you want to and if your havin to go to bootleggers or chose to the that alot about your charater anyway aint bootlegging an buying from bootleggers against the law what other kind of laws do you throw into the wind and the beer cans come from the same type of people that throw them out in your community people thats gone down to the bootleggers house makes you feel safe out on the road dont it
David

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

Not sure where houston is going with his tirade, but some things are important, some things are not important and some things are just down-right curious. The overall wet/dry structure in the Alabama Constitution (1901!) perhaps reflects views/feelings/politics of a past era. I would never live in, or not live in, an area because of something like that. All I'm trying to point out is that it would be useful for both sides of the issue to recognize that SALES is only part of what gets decided by the vote. Also capitalization and punctuation are allowed in this forum. They both help organize and clarify your presentation.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

An adult trying to tell another adult he shouldn't drink is kind of like telling unmarried adults and teenagers not to have sex .Old Houston is a holdover from the fifties. He also doesn't realize that it's safer to go down to the corner market and get your beer than to be out in traffic going to the bootleggers place. The community shares the tax money from legal sales but the bootleggers put all their money in their pockets except in those places here in Alabama where a portion goes to the sheriff to look the other way. Sorry Houston,the world is changing around you.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Judged:

It's not really a wet/dry vote. It's a vote to see if illegal sales are to continue like in the good ole days or do rational people see that legal sales will bring tax dollars back home from other counties with guidelines and regulations being put in place for those selling alcohol. As it has been through the ages: There are those that are "blind" and cannot see.
Concerned

Blountsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

Judged:

Why don't all these people that "don't want to drive" for their liquor and "say" it helps the schools, quit drinking and donate all that money to the schools. The kids could use that money alot more than the alcoholics on the road. Just Saying. I'm sure I'll get some bad responses from this post, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Concerned wrote:
Why don't all these people that "don't want to drive" for their liquor and "say" it helps the schools, quit drinking and donate all that money to the schools. The kids could use that money alot more than the alcoholics on the road. Just Saying. I'm sure I'll get some bad responses from this post, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Yep, that makes as much sense as standing in the woods and telling deer not to breed. " What if" is a dream about like spending money and planning on winning the lottery to cover your purchases.
Bob

Hanceville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

houston wrote:
how has alcohol sales helped your communitys
Learn to spell, dummy. Communities.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Go easy on ole Houston. He is of vintage body and mindset.
houston

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
i may not can soell every word in the dictionary but i can spell the word "MORON" i didnt ask u for a spell check i ask u a serious question u should run for office somewhere . look heres the way i see it everyones hollarin go wet we need the money blount county has been out of bebt(blount co topix abc 33/40 report july 2011) for over a year so blount county should have a surplus of operating cash is my road any better no has my police protection been any better no come talk to the people around here that is getting there stuff carried off is my schools better no unless im wrong there money comes from the general school fund which every county pays into and its dived up thru out the state uyou can alread go to the 2 golf courses and buy alcohol now so BOB i'll tell you like i till my KIDS if you aint got nothing to add relivent to what i'm askin dont interrupt the grown ups are trying to talk
Blount Voter

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Judged:

The alcohol referendum can bring a SUBSTANTIAL amount of revenue into Blount County. Revenue we are spending in other counties. The alcohol tax can be earmarked for anything, yes anything. That means funding for schools, roads, etc. The county schools are currently funded by a county sales taxes. The alcohol tax is different and is something all wet areas implement. We are talking about MILLIONS of dollars. What can that do for Appalachian ? Snead? Highland Lake? That money is a game changer for them.

City ordinances, like the one Oneonta has developed, prevents strip clubs and even bars! This is not going to be negative growth. This is a step in the right direction. This can bring businesses, jobs, new residences and help those already here stay afloat.

People drink in Blount County. That will never change. Why do we give Jefferson, Marshall, St. Clair, etc.. all the benefits of our revenue?
BC Mommy

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Judged:

You are right Houston! We are out of debt. The county managed that feat by cutting essential services, like road paving, road mowing, and recreational maintenance out of the budget- to the tune of 2 million dollars. We had to do that because our economy in Blount County is shrinking every year by about one half a percentage point. We are no longer a sound bond risk since we have no future. We had to pay our debt off.

And yes, concerned, it would be nice if everyone gave their money to the schools, but they aren't, they haven't, and they won't. So unless you want to continue sitting around wishing for the impossible, waiting on a perfect world, it might be time to back the only real option that has been given.

Wake up people!! Blount county is wet!! We are surrounded by wet counties!! We have ever alcohol related problem, yet we get nothing from it. You don't want to be around it, Houston?? Then I guess you never leave Blount county. And I guess you don't look at all the beer cans and bottles on the sides of the road when you are driving around Blount county. I guess you ignore all of the dui's that happen in our county. Take the blinders off. You are around it. We all are. Lets get some money for it!
Fred

Union Grove, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Judged:

Blount Voter wrote:
The alcohol referendum can bring a SUBSTANTIAL amount of revenue into Blount County. Revenue we are spending in other counties. The alcohol tax can be earmarked for anything, yes anything. That means funding for schools, roads, etc. The county schools are currently funded by a county sales taxes. The alcohol tax is different and is something all wet areas implement. We are talking about MILLIONS of dollars. What can that do for Appalachian ? Snead? Highland Lake? That money is a game changer for them.
City ordinances, like the one Oneonta has developed, prevents strip clubs and even bars! This is not going to be negative growth. This is a step in the right direction. This can bring businesses, jobs, new residences and help those already here stay afloat.
People drink in Blount County. That will never change. Why do we give Jefferson, Marshall, St. Clair, etc.. all the benefits of our revenue?
I dont think you will be BRINGING in all that much money via alcohol sales but you will KEEP a lot of money in Blount county.

When Arab went wet the city of Guntersville saw a decline in their alcohol revenue so we know there was an impact there! Arab is now keeping those tax dollars in Arab to spend on Arab.

Blount county needs to wake up before they get left behind or gobbled up by the encroachment of Birmingham
houston

Altoona, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Judged:

BC Mommy wrote:
You are right Houston! We are out of debt. The county managed that feat by cutting essential services, like road paving, road mowing, and recreational maintenance out of the budget- to the tune of 2 million dollars. We had to do that because our economy in Blount County is shrinking every year by about one half a percentage point. We are no longer a sound bond risk since we have no future. We had to pay our debt off.
And yes, concerned, it would be nice if everyone gave their money to the schools, but they aren't, they haven't, and they won't. So unless you want to continue sitting around wishing for the impossible, waiting on a perfect world, it might be time to back the only real option that has been given.
Wake up people!! Blount county is wet!! We are surrounded by wet counties!! We have ever alcohol related problem, yet we get nothing from it. You don't want to be around it, Houston?? Then I guess you never leave Blount county. And I guess you don't look at all the beer cans and bottles on the sides of the road when you are driving around Blount county. I guess you ignore all of the dui's that happen in our county. Take the blinders off. You are around it. We all are. Lets get some money for it!
im sorry mama but over the past few years if im not mistaken i have seen co rd 42 paved th bridge top repaired several new drain pipes added the dirt rosds worked ditches recut and if i'm not mistaken what i call lamb stone road has been worked on an also work is going on on co rd 1 in algood maybe i'm missing somethng i'm not goin to continue the tax dollar debate i will just tell you i have seen first hand and lived what i dont want for my children i have the right to say i dont want it where i live i dont wish to go in a store with my children that sells it if you want for yourself thats fine dont hide behind the lie it will help no it will not why do they sell single cans of beer in the store? How many beers does it take to be leaglley dui how many people do YOU know that goes out to eat has 2 or 3 beers,glasses of wine ect with there meal then takes a cab homedo you also condone marj sales if they will get the tax right yes i will do my best to keep my family away from it th tax dollars are a bunch of hogwash i dont take anybodys word for nothing look into it yourself see where your tax dollars are going and how much of it really comes back to the county
Dont need your bull

Oneonta, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2012

Judged:

Blount County staying wet is a bunch of bull. Being dry does not keep alcohol out of Blount County. For years both my husband and myself have worked in Birmingham and if you have ever stopped in Pinson area at the Rite Aid, Food Giant or Winn Dixie you will see people on Friday night and all other times buying the largest carton of beer they can find. This means at least 75% of the cars and trucks coming from Pinson into Oneonta have beer or other alcohol in their auto. I am sure that most of them can not wait to get home so they pop the top and have a few on the way into Oneonta. So staying dry does to help anything except have drivers drinking on the way home. These drivers would stop in Oneonta and buy their beer and take it home to drink instead of being on the road and drinking a few. As far of the people against going wet I can just bet that they have their bottles of wine in the frig. and when out to dinner in a wet county they have their mixed drinks. Come on you know who you are. Get with the 21st Century. Staying dry does not make Blount County special just stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arab Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 2 hr TDS 214
Water in Arab 4 hr Concerned 1
Personal affairs in a public position 6 hr Concerned 16
ed teal scott walls doug gibbs cybersquatting s... (May '10) 7 hr Corruption pisses... 37
Why is Israel the only civilised country in the... 23 hr Asare 1
Durty snapchat Aug 15 bamaboy90420 1
being ignored Jul '14 time heals all 13
•••
•••
Arab Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Arab Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000