Apple Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Steve M wrote:
The track is still there and visible in aerial photos from 1993. You can see the photo on terraserver's website.[url]http://terraserve r-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S =11&Z=18&X=877&Y=1 0672&W=3&qs=%7ceagle+h arbor%7cmd%7c[/url]
Hey Steve - I live near Barstow and was wondering if you could give me directions to this former track. Thanks !!

Since: Dec 09

Malvern, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Bob from Apple Vally.,.,.. The Aquasco drag strip was and the remains of it are in Maryland. It was located fairly close to Wash. D.C. Sorry about that. Ralph Dawson
KEN RANDALL

Lumberton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

SouthernBoy wrote:
I well remember Aquasco Speedway during the 60's. I raced there a few times in '65 and attended many races between '64 and '67. I was there the night that Tex Randall was killed and the next day when a collection was taken up for his family. I bought a set of mags from him about 7 or 8 months before he died.
I was also there when Jack Chrissman crashed in his Eliminator 1 Comet funny car. I have seen a bunch of famous names run there (Ronnie Sox was who I modeled my own shifting still from - love his Paper Tiger Plymouth). But it was the American supercars of the mid-60's I most liked to see run.
Great track and great times.
can anyone tell me about the night my uncle was killed kennyreb@yahoo.com RIP TEX
KEN RANDALL

Lumberton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

CAN anyone tell me about the night my uncle was killed at aquasco speedway in 1965. RIP TEX. kennyreb@yahoo.com
Donnie Simmons

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

I remember Aquasco speedway very well

I use to race there in 1970 - 71 in my 1964 Pontic GTO 6 cylinder OHC 4 speed ... car went 15.60's w/ 355 gears.

It was basic bracket racing.

Remember Gene Morris altered coupe ... what a real ride

Remember the Sunoco gas station at the corner of Rt 381 & Neck Rd going to the track?? I bought Sunoco 260 pump fuel for 36 cents a gallon

Great days
alex

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

well i live just up the road from it. its on neck road but the part that leads to it is closed with a fence because its private property and the guy that owns it is kind of a dick with a gun
Ron Murphy

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Sammy wrote:
I remember Sam Samuels very well, and all the others you mentioned. There were many other pontiac racers that raced w/ your dad, such as Frank Kennedy, Mike Madico(sp) Al Sevester, Bob Maxi and Max Sterling just to name a few. Your dad was a great racer and a great person. I knew him very well. Your brother was also a very good racer.
Just to let you guy's know Max Sterling passed away the day after thanksgiving.
Ron Murphy

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Any of the old time racers out there , we lost a great pontiac fan Max Sterling the owner of the super duty 62 White Lightning passed away this thanksgiving.
Frank

Edgewater, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2011

I took pictures at Aquasco in 68 at a AA/GS meet.
Also includes other modifed cars that ran on 7/21/68.
I have just scanned the slides. Anyone wanting a
looksee can e-mail me at Frank.Ruff@juno.com
Jay B Britt Jr

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2011

I remember when I went to Ballou Sr.High(1972) a friend of mine,Michael Landers(Sparky) and his brother Donnie Landers had a '64 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 383 engine,TF trans(pushbutton of course...)Sparky took me to Aquasco Speedway where it was my first introduction to drag racing,other than Overlook Ave,by Bolling Air Force Base in DC...i never saw anything like it before and over 40 +years later,I still have memories of that drag strip.It's where I first saw a 1970 Buick GS Stage 1,a gold car which a black guy owned.It went fast for a street car.Its the reason that I'm into Buicks today...I have a 72 GS that one day I'll finish,but it was because of Aquasco Speedway I am a PRO SPECTATOR...I wish that the owner would get with all local racers to rebuild Aquasco Speedway up for just street cars.If I ever hit PowerBall or Mega Millions,I'd make him a offer.Bring back Aquasco Speedway...Thanks for reading,Jay B.Britt,Jr.(BRITT'S STAGE 1)
Charlie Gibson

Rustburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2011

I BOUGHT Joe PERZANS 58 CHEVY 348 CHEVY IN 1965
i had a garage in d.c. next to clee samuals and joe.at 326 10 th st. n.e.and my car was the black beast . I STILL HAVE IT.IT WAS NOT A GREAT HIT AT THE TRACK BUT OPENED EYES ON THE STREET.

I TALKED TO SAM AND JOE ON A DAILY BASIS FOR YEARS.

Charlie Gibson

Rustburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2011

I KNEW JOE PERZAN CLEE SAMUALS WELL.HAD A 57 CHEVY,BOBBY MAX. USED TO HANG AROUND ALL THE TIME ON 10TH N E WASH DC.WE HAD GARAGES IN THE BACK ALLEY .MY CAR WAS THE BLACK BEAST
Gene Calhoun

Bristow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2012

Great to see so many of you remember us,those Pontiac's were hard to beat back in the day. Mine was named "Arapaho" C/S class, tri-power 389 CID four speed, we set the NHRA record in NJ and PA but also for AHRA at Aquasco,and NASCAR (Sanctioned Drag race for about two three-years,remember?)in FL, still have the trophies from winning Daytona Beach Nationals a week long race.Remember what AHRA stood for? It is now IHRA. My dad died 1979,I retired but my son Ben races a RED and his son is in JR/Dragster,four generations of Calhoun Clan addicted to the sport.
Gary Dorman

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Joe Perzan, Your father and Mike I believe bought My brothers 57 pontiac Chieftan. You have any old photos of that Car, or know of its whereabouts? Also My brothers Father bin Law was Frank Cannaday, driove for your Dad and Mike.
George Ransome

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Hello everyone, good to know we still remember what we did as kids. If anyone has any pictures of a 65 mustang named Little Southern Shaker, please contact me. My Dad drove that car for a few years. My e-mail address is: ransomeracing@yahoo.com
charlie gibson

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2012

hi ronnie sam and i where good friends get back to me
10th n.e. joe perzan
Tim

Stanley, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

I seen alot of big names at this track, Jungle Jim, Don Schumacher, the Blue Max just to name a few. I really miss those days when touring pro's appeared at just about any drag strip.
chip Blanchard

Partlow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

my 1st dragrace was right there in the last bleachers all the way at top in 1965 . i seen those funny looking F/X factory cars and i knew that i was going to be a drag racer ! u see my dad was a stock car driver and i hated comeing home after a saturday or sunday race and beat or replace the fenders and bumpers ! made no since to me much less you always had to make a left at the end of streight away ! i always wonder about the streight and flat pavement next to the oval was for other then when you go over the gaurd rail and drive back around to gate . it was 3 years after my 1st visit to Aqauscco i came back i saw blue max,jungle,bob banning,mickey thompson and many more i was so hooked on it i had had to do it so my brother and i built a 53 Mercury Meteor with a 390 fe , i painted the name Fatel on it and went to track made 2 passes and blew head gasket but got a 12.01 out of it not bad on old used slicks and 1969 . i loved it then i got a barracuda in 71 made a few more passes then 6 years later i heard them talking at hampton , Va races that the tracks last day was sunday , but i was in battle with the two day meet there and missed it it was like a peace of life left my sole sad to see it gone good to see its frozan in time . i was told a few months ago a fire went threw and burned the tower down it won't be long it will be gone . THANKs Aqauscco for everthing !
My Dad raced at Aquasco

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

I have been trying to find any pics of his car in the winners circle or on the track since he passed away in 1992 His Name was George Abbitt jr he was affectionately known as "Blundy". He drove the 1968 Ford Cobra Jet car known as "The Jungle Man". We lived in SE DC and we were at the track every weekend he also raced and won at Capitol Raceway,St. Mary's Dragway aka Budds Creek Dragway aka Maryland International Raceway and 75-80 Dragway.If anyone can help me i would be greatly indebted to you.My name is George (after my dad).
My Dad raced at Aquasco

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

my e-mail address is theimpactplayersyng@yahoo.com thanks again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aquasco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Latest battlefield for Gansler, Brown: Veterans... Jun '14 Paco Pinto 2
Obama: I 'Might Have' Suffered Concussions From... Jun '14 TWZ 1
Preachers May '14 EarL 1
What is the one of the best health in surane co... (Oct '13) May '14 truth be told 6
Woman Dies After Being Found Stabbed In Brandywine (Aug '09) May '14 Joan Scheve 37
70 year olds were robbed OMG Apr '14 just wondering 1
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 fyi 185

Search the Aquasco Forum:
•••
•••
Aquasco Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Aquasco Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000