Sammy

Romulus, MI

#21 May 21, 2009
I remember Sam Samuels very well, and all the others you mentioned. There were many other pontiac racers that raced w/ your dad, such as Frank Kennedy, Mike Madico(sp) Al Sevester, Bob Maxi and Max Sterling just to name a few. Your dad was a great racer and a great person. I knew him very well. Your brother was also a very good racer.
Joe Perzan Jr

Ashburn, VA

#22 Jul 3, 2009
Hey Ronny, This is Joe Perzan Jr, I have many memories of the race track. Going to Capital, Aquasco and MIR and running around track while my dad raced Big BruiserÂ… it was a great time to grow up.
Joe Perzan

United States

#23 Jul 6, 2009
Hi guys ......I remember most of those people but it was me that held the NHRA record with Big Bruiser . Check the National Dragster Paper from that era (1998) I think,
Joe Perzan

United States

#24 Jul 6, 2009
I Ronnie ... This is Joe Perzan , is your dad still with us ??
Joe Perzan

United States

#25 Jul 6, 2009
Let me see if I can do this with no typos
I set the NHRTA record on Aug 12 th of 1967 and held it untill sometime in the summer of 1968.
ET only no speed.

Tyrone Allen

Springfield, VA

#26 Aug 26, 2009
Does anyone remember the Montgomery brothers.
One had a green 383 Super Bee and the other had a purple Hemi Cuda. They were at Aquasco nearly every Sunday running brackets. Aquasco has lots of great memories for lot of racers from the Washington D.C. area and the east coast. I ran a 68-340 GTS Dart in 1969, 70, & 71. A cam and some 12:1 pistons would do wonders for that small block.
Phil Castaldo

AOL

#27 Aug 30, 2009
Joe Perzan wrote:
Let me see if I can do this with no typos
I set the NHRTA record on Aug 12 th of 1967 and held it untill sometime in the summer of 1968.
ET only no speed.
Hi Joe Do you remember John Wiggins he ran a A/SP corvette summer of 67 Would love to talk to you Please E-mail me [email protected] Thanks Phil
Ralph Dawson

Allentown, PA

#28 Sep 2, 2009
I worked with Clee (Sam) Samuels at Star Pontiac at 4th and Florida ave. Had the privilege of driving Pawnee on many occasions. Used to ride to the races with Joe Persan every now and then in his black 59 chevy 2dr. Al Sylvester built the engine for Sams car an we put it in on a saturday morning. Had a lot of fun with those guys, glad someone remembers them.
Nick Micale

Glendale, AZ

#29 Nov 5, 2009
In the early '60's I raced there with a 1961 Pontiac convert, and then a 1964 Max Wedge Plymouth. I had match races with Malcom Duram in his "mystery engine" '63 Chevy, and also the Dodge "Bounty Hunters" racers from Banning Dodge.

I think the '39 Chevy gasser that was mentioned was owned by Bob Berandon.

Too bad pics cannot be posted here as I have one of my Plymouth at 75/80 dragstrip leaving the line with a flagman!
Ralph Dawson

Allentown, PA

#30 Nov 6, 2009
Hi guys ......I remember most of those people but it was me that held the NHRA record with Big Bruiser . Check the National Dragster Paper from that era (1998) I think,
To Joe: I worked at star pontiac w/Sam. Used to help him with Pawnee and went to the races every chance I got. Rode to Aquasco w/ you on a few occasions in your 59 chevy 348 280 H.P. I worked right next to Sam in new car get ready. He let me drive his car on several occasions and I always won with that car. I think you worked at Call Carls as a trans man at the time and you and Sam had a shade tree shop i N.E. D.C. Anyway nice to know you are still around.
bill

UAE

#31 Nov 30, 2009
loved the place..great folks ...was pg county policeman who worked the starting line for several years..saw many great races..not tooo many fights..smile..later would take my son to the motorcross track until they shut that down too
Carl Blanchard

AOL

#32 Dec 29, 2009
i realy miss this track . and if you beleive the story about it demize then your blind . the man who owned budds creek [Jim Todd] purchased this track and colonel beach in 76 . and closed both of them to get MIR on the map! he thougt if the racers didn't go there they'ed come to the creek so less over head more racers more $. how do i know i was team member of the girl who married {jim todd] reberta told us true words .sure they had pressure from home owners but it was grandfather and they could't close it .Now my memories of aquassco is this it's the 1st place i seen drag racing 1968 and i was hooked and that trak hooked so hard it broke cars from the back yard racers to the high doller teams and there are pics of bob banning ,jungle,max,sox & martin, an many more with the wheels up so high you can walk under the car.yes this was a great track that never had to close .and about 10 years ago i just happen that way i drove up to the entree gate between the house's the gate was chained and you can see the flat of the track . but there are town homes at the end i was told the timing tower is still there R.I.P. you narly ol track
Joe Perzan

United States

#33 Dec 30, 2009
Hi Ralph , what year did you work at Star Pont ?
I worked there from feb. 1952 until early 1963 , then did go to Call Carl as trans mech. later ran one of their shops I remember Ralph
(????) that worked next to Sam in the "back shop".
(entrance off the alley ) at Star Pont. Robert Holmes, Richard Slye and myself .

Nick both Harry and Bob had '39 chev. coupes .
Joe Perzan

United States

#34 Dec 30, 2009
Sorry Ralph
I'm just getting old (77) the guys name that worked next to Sam that I was thinking of was Gene Leblanc .

Since: Dec 09

Allentown, PA

#35 Jan 2, 2010
Joe Perzan. I started working at Star in 1963 shortly after you left. I worked in newcar getready. Al Philips was shop foreman, Ray Barham was ser. mgr. Gene, Sly ,and Holmes worked in the shop off of the alley. I was fresh out of the Navy and loved cars. I remember Al Sylvester, Mike Matico, Malcolm Durham coming in to talk with Sam. I rode to the races with you a couple of times in your 59 Chevy 2dr. 348/280 4 spd. I think. Where do you call home now? I live in the Philly Area. I talked to Dickie Estevez a while back and he told me Sam Passed away. Glad to hear you are still around. Ralph Dawson
frank-t

Gig Harbor, WA

#36 Jan 26, 2010
ronny samuels wrote:
anybody remember "SAM SAMUELS" 60 Pontiac named PAWNEE nhra record holder, or Joe Perzan, BIG BRUISER pontiac wagon, or Gene Calhoun The Arapaho 60 pontiac. I grew up at that drag strip. have fond memories of 13-15 yrs there also Capitol Raceway where Sat . nite was the best. have some old B/W pics of both lot of guys cut their teeth on racing there.
sorry i can't recall the cars or drivers you asked about but....i
read your post of dec.2008 about the dragstrips.i collect old pics of anything,(houses,barns piers,businesses,etc.),in the southern maryland area. if you could shoot me a couple of pics of aquasco dragstrip i would be grateful.thanx..frankiescoins@ yahoo.com
Scott Crowder

Lake George, NY

#37 Feb 13, 2010
Hi:
I found this link...think it is great to remember those days. I own a 1970 GTO that came new from Star Pontiac. I'm trying to find a dealer emblem from the late 60's-early 70's to put on the trunk lid. If anyone can help please let me know.
Bob

Apple Valley, CA

#38 Mar 19, 2010
Can anyone tell me the approximate location of where this track was in Barstow ? Thanks.
Bob

Apple Valley, CA

#39 Mar 24, 2010
bill wrote:
loved the place..great folks ...was pg county policeman who worked the starting line for several years..saw many great races..not tooo many fights..smile..later would take my son to the motorcross track until they shut that down too
Great to hear you worked the starting line.....could you tell me the location of this former track in Barstow ?
Bob

Apple Valley, CA

#40 Mar 24, 2010
Carl Blanchard wrote:
i realy miss this track . and if you beleive the story about it demize then your blind . the man who owned budds creek [Jim Todd] purchased this track and colonel beach in 76 . and closed both of them to get MIR on the map! he thougt if the racers didn't go there they'ed come to the creek so less over head more racers more $. how do i know i was team member of the girl who married {jim todd] reberta told us true words .sure they had pressure from home owners but it was grandfather and they could't close it .Now my memories of aquassco is this it's the 1st place i seen drag racing 1968 and i was hooked and that trak hooked so hard it broke cars from the back yard racers to the high doller teams and there are pics of bob banning ,jungle,max,sox & martin, an many more with the wheels up so high you can walk under the car.yes this was a great track that never had to close .and about 10 years ago i just happen that way i drove up to the entree gate between the house's the gate was chained and you can see the flat of the track . but there are town homes at the end i was told the timing tower is still there R.I.P. you narly ol track
Hey Carl - what a great memory ! I live close by to Barstow and would like to visit the former location. Could you please tell me how to get to the location. Thanks ! Bob

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aquasco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rev. Erskine B. Moss (Mar '14) Jun '16 Ann Mims 7
News Inmate Walks Off From Southern Maryland Pre-Rel... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Police looking for inmate who walked away from job Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
Review: Electrical Power Solutions (Jul '15) Jul '15 STEVE 1
Moving (Nov '14) Nov '14 John 2
News PGPD investigating fatal accident at Aquasco Road (Nov '14) Nov '14 Slpickeral 1
News Latest battlefield for Gansler, Brown: Veterans... (May '14) Jun '14 Paco Pinto 2

Aquasco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aquasco Mortgages