Did Land Issues Motivate Appomattox S...

Did Land Issues Motivate Appomattox Shooter? - wtvr

There are 20 comments on the WTVR story from Jan 21, 2010, titled Did Land Issues Motivate Appomattox Shooter? - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

Land issues may be at the heart of an Appomattox shooting that left eight people dead on Tuesday, though authorities are still trying to determine what exactly motivated the shooter to kill a family of four as well as two teenagers and another couple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

proofread

Manchester, NH

#1 Jan 21, 2010
"grandparents who past away."
should be "passed away"
not a teahead

Atlanta, GA

#2 Jan 21, 2010
proofread wrote:
"grandparents who past away."
should be "passed away"
Need a job?
proofreader2

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 21, 2010
My favorite is looser instead of loser
my prayers are with the victims.
snowball

Richmond, VA

#4 Jan 21, 2010
Lemme see here! So the sister who 'was just trying to help' her brother claim his inheritance shows up and is 'living' with her family at his home. She goes down with the 'papers' to her lawyer to see that the benefactors will is done and ends up dead... for no reason.
As they say, I was born at night but not last night!
cutt

United States

#5 Jan 21, 2010
This young punk was cutted out of Grandpa'will' he went K K K on everybody.
WoodinVirginia

United States

#6 Jan 21, 2010
When did the Grandparents pass ? and how long has Ms Sipe been stalling on the transfer of the property from her name to This Speight guy? Talk to that lawyer again something here sounds 'fishy'

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Well, I guess he's definitely not in the will, now. It SO wasn't worth it, killing all those people for "stuff"

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#8 Jan 22, 2010
WoodinVirginia wrote:
When did the Grandparents pass ? and how long has Ms Sipe been stalling on the transfer of the property from her name to This Speight guy? Talk to that lawyer again something here sounds 'fishy'
Where did you hear/read that the property was ever in the sister's name? She was the executor of the will. The brother was still the one the properties were left to. The reason the attorney gave seems to make the most sense. Remember, this guy had mental issues, so he very well could have misconstrued the meetings his sister was having with the attorney.

The bigger question that comes to mind is why did this guy have access to firearms if his family KNEW he had mental issues?

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#9 Jan 22, 2010
Armed Veteran wrote:
The bigger question that comes to mind is why did this guy have access to firearms if his family KNEW he had mental issues?
If the man had mental issues, the only thing taking the guns away would have done is to ensured that they all died in a nasty bludgeoning by axe or shovel, or bomb.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#10 Jan 22, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>If the man had mental issues, the only thing taking the guns away would have done is to ensured that they all died in a nasty bludgeoning by axe or shovel, or bomb.
I think it was more of a case of his family thinking "Yeah, he's got problems. But he would never do something like that."
Tired Taxpayer

York, PA

#11 Jan 22, 2010
Wow, this guy was a complete idiot. Because of greed and misconception he kills, and his sister was just making sure he would be provided for.

Well....now at least it will be up to the state of Virginia to give him 3 squares a day, his own 8x8, a court appointed attorney and plenty of money to throw around for appeals because of his 'mental' problems. Can anyone say insanity defense? Pathetic.

Sad, very sad...good god he killed a 4 yr. old and a 15 yr. old among his other innocent victims. Hope he chokes on his worthless land.
not a teahead

Atlanta, GA

#12 Jan 22, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>If the man had mental issues, the only thing taking the guns away would have done is to ensured that they all died in a nasty bludgeoning by axe or shovel, or bomb.
The gun dealers just want the cash, they don't care what you do with weapons. I guess he looked like any other "short-fused"
law-abiding gun toting citizen.
not a teahead

Atlanta, GA

#13 Jan 22, 2010
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was more of a case of his family thinking "Yeah, he's got problems. But he would never do something like that."
That's the kind of thinking that puts weapons in the hands of those who don't need them. Looking the other way has cost 8 deaths. They never thought that their relative would do such a
thing to his own family, maybe someone elses family.

The warning signs were there for a long time and they chose to
look in the other direction.
If you know someone that own numerous guns and explosives, my friend they are not wrapped to tight. Get help for them immediately.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#14 Jan 22, 2010
Tired Taxpayer wrote:
Wow, this guy was a complete idiot. Because of greed and misconception he kills, and his sister was just making sure he would be provided for.
Yeah, he shot his sister because his sister "was just making sure he would be provided for". Yeah, it's the oldest motive in the book.

Prison Inmate 1 "hey, why are in here?"

Prison Inmate 2 "Uh,'cause I shot my sister for making sure I was provided for."

Prison Inmate 1 "You too?"

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#15 Jan 22, 2010
not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the kind of thinking that puts weapons in the hands of those who don't need them.
In the U.S. nobody "PUTS" weapons in the hands of others execept federal and state governemnts. Maybe you thought wrong, douchebagger?
johnny

Alma Center, WI

#16 Jan 23, 2010
Any body want to but a ghost riddled home? CHEAP! It comes furnished with 8 newly assigned entities.
NO! Don't be so stupid, One is not named Casper.
johnny

Alma Center, WI

#17 Jan 23, 2010
It say's in another article that this guy was in a nut house in 2007 with a breakdown after his mother passed away. He missed her "muffin".
AngelsBeauti

Bradenton, FL

#18 Jan 23, 2010
WoodinVirginia wrote:
Hey your right something is very very fishy here!! I know my ex. Just like his friend's knew him. He would have never done this! There was defiantly some tension in that house. I can feel it! He cannot change back what he did. He will be carried out just like the law will probably do. But I too want justice in finding out instead of what everyone is saying what was my ex's motive, what was his sister's motive??? He had no motive & he always carried-as if he was a real cop, he was in security, had a concealed weapons permit etc.)
Your very right about your thought's indeed! Why was his sister stalling for soo many years in making sure the deeds get met to transfer everything back over to him like it was intended for in the will of his family?!?! His mother died in 2006, & his Grandfather died in Aug 2008. From listening to the interview w/ that real estate attorney, he stated in 2006 (when his mother died) that he was to be given sole ownership of his mother's house & his grandfather's estates. I spoke to a very close friend of Speight's. He said his breakdown in 2007 was not really a huge breakdown like everyone is saying either. He said he was never in a mental center for a year. He said that his mom's death impacted him hard.He reverted but was just down for a spell but still sane.To make him snap like he did, something happen something we may never know. From a close friend's of his they stated his sister controlled everything.
Get this: When the news got the story wrong that he was in a mental center in GA- He most likely the whole time may very well have been living with his sister & brother in law in Atlanta, GA. They have always lived there, while Chris always lived in his Appomattox home w/ his mother. A friend of his spoke to him awhile ago & at one point Chris told his friend that they were moving to GA.(probably the time when everyone incorrectly says he was in a nut house in GA.)At that time Chris told his friend he was moving to GA b/c that was best for BUSINESS reasons.(Chris worked in Security, house was paid for, Never cared about money, had everything from his families inheritance.) So that doesn't add up! Where are those documents that stated he was EVER in a mental center also????? I think he was living with his sister & brother in law in GA at that time.
Now get this: He had talked to his same friend not to long after he moved to GA.(Could have been a year or so later, not sure.) At that time his friend had talked to him was around April,Chris then told his friend "they all" were moving to his house/mom's house in Appomattox b/c his brother in law's business was not doing well in the economy and that was the best for business reasons! Oh, and also get this: His house(mother's house) was listed for sale awhile back in 09! Chris would have never put his house up for sale. That was where he was the most happiest, with his land, his hunting, his target range, where he felt close to his mother etc. When his friend talked to him around April, He ask Chris why his house was up for sale, as he was surprised? His friend said at that point Chris said "it was easier to move to Atlanta for business reasons,(with his sister and bro in law) but then not longer after they wanted to move back to VA because his sister thought that was best for business reasons." His friend(s) said it seemed his sister controlled everything, & Chris always went along with it.
AngelsBeauti

Bradenton, FL

#19 Jan 23, 2010
WoodinVirginia wrote:
This is a guy, that was pretty much like a momma's boy (saying that in respect.) He had a learning disability but was still smart & savvy! His mom babied him a lot, even when I was with him for 3 1/2 years from 2001-2004! So it was properly easier for him to go along with his sister, even if he didn't like it, or didn't like the new changes, for say in his mom's house. I honestly, think his sister was never allowing him to gain any Independence of taking control over any of what was left in his family's will, especially when my ex felt it was his time too! There obviously what a lot of tension in that house for my ex to be venting about things there for awhile to his friend's & who he worked with. That being said: That is probably why the week prior to the tragedy his sister started to get all the deeds back into his name.

Like you said, why was his sister holding out for soo long on deeding everything back over to his name? The real estate lawyer said in 2007 his sister met w/ him to become Substitute Trustee over all his inheritance. IF his close friend even knows he was always sane & never broke down like everyone is saying he did in 2007, than his sister should have known this too & shouldn't have been too eager to become co-owner's of his properties! His friend's that he worked with, & even the store owner's of where he did security at even said he had been venting to them about the changes in his mom's house, that he had everything set up they way that he wanted,(probably just like his mother had left it.) That they were trying to kick him out, made him chop wood for the house during winter etc.?? He did that while his mom was living but by no means should he have to be a slave to his sister & brother in law. They want to live there w/ him then his brother in law should have also helped out outside the house. At one point, he told his friend's he was clearing some land on his property to build him a small house! Seems like Chris was crying out for help for awhile, & no one caught on until the tragedy happened!

Also from a close friend of his: He never had explosives either! He had 2 traps that were black powder on his reloading room..thats ALL! Said he wanted the house to probably be like his moms way. A burgler alarm type thing- would not kill u.

All in All! Noone can change what he did, neither can he, & I'm sure his heart is in pain for doing what he did. He was never the type to argue, or harm his family nor anyone else. You can't bring back his family that died, the kids, that died, nor the other two adults that died in this tragedy either. It is very very sad & heartbreaking.:(
AngelsBeauti

Bradenton, FL

#21 Jan 23, 2010
He was never cut out of his mom's or grandfather's will either. I remember us taking trips to VA Beach staying w/ his grandfather. He always helped out his grandfather, as well as his grandmother that was living w/ him & his mom in Appomattox before his mother & grandmother died. Why they never gave any of the properties to his sister I am not sure. They may have left her other things. My guess is b/c she & her husband were always well off, but am not sure. But I do know that his mom defiantly gave him the house in Appomattox b/c that was his home, & where he always lived. I can see his Grandparents giving him the properties in VA Beach & Norfolk too b/c of his learning disability, which probably limited him into getting a decent job. However, My ex truly wanted to be a Professional Security Officer & had even tried to go over sea's but for some reason I see that never happened. My guess is, he was dyslexic & couldn't fill out the paper work needed etc. I remember him telling me years ago he wanted to be in the military as he always loved all the military gear, weapons, etc & he said his mom didn't want him to go so that's why he never went.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appomattox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to the Blair Products Company Fro... (May '07) Nov 25 Angela 260
christians helped elect the ANTICHRIST Nov 11 Reality Check 5
cop shoots woman Nov '17 bulk 3
Wheels of soul shooting Oct '17 Just curious 1
hang out Jul '17 not from here 1
Robert E. Lee Road changed to Buffalo Soldier R... (Feb '14) Jul '16 Donald 4
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1

Appomattox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance