Speight In Court Friday

Speight In Court Friday

There are 29 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Speight In Court Friday. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

We're learning more about the trouble background of the accused Appomattox shooter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#50 Feb 13, 2010
Lordylordy9111 wrote:
Every year, more than two thousand people die in the United States from gun-related injuries. The population groups most affected by these avoidable deaths are children and young adolescents.
Every year, doctors in the US kill over 100,000 people due to direct negligence. Get in line.
lord

United States

#51 Feb 13, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Every year, doctors in the US kill over 100,000 people due to direct negligence. Get in line.
I am afraid of doctors, but I do not fear CCW and open carriers. As for this nut and all the others who kill family members, give him a Darwin Award, and a lethal injection. This incident does, however, demonstrate a need for mental incompetence to be recorded in a way that is accessible to the gun purchase background check data base.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#52 Feb 13, 2010
lord wrote:
<quoted text>I am afraid of doctors, but I do not fear CCW and open carriers. As for this nut and all the others who kill family members, give him a Darwin Award, and a lethal injection. This incident does, however, demonstrate a need for mental incompetence to be recorded in a way that is accessible to the gun purchase background check data base.
"Mental incompetence"? Define it, dunce.

“KeepProclaiming Christ Death ”

Since: Dec 09

Ashburn, VA

#53 Feb 14, 2010
A gun owner applicant should have to prove mental competence if he/she has ever been treated for mental illness. Physicians should have to do a second avaluation for anyone who has been treated and released for mental illness if there is any question to their mental competence. Anyone who signs part 3 of the SP-66 form and states the applicant was treated and released and they go out and shoot someone like Speights did should be the responsible party. I think most of the people like Speights raise a lot of red flags before the shootings.
nonada

Charlottesville, VA

#54 Feb 14, 2010
ohmygoodness wrote:
This is awful! And one scary thing about it is--the Gov is about to make MORE drastic cuts in services for the Mentally Challenged. I guess that means we could see many more of these kinds of stories. Much sympathy to the families of the ones killed.
Yes we will see more of this kind of thing. Mental Health services is one of the last things that needs to take reductions if we expect to keep crime down. And with the cuts in law enforcement, I guess it will be up to us to get ourselves safely to work, our kids to school, to the grocery store...the cut would also affect substance abuse treatment. Get ready folks.
lord

United States

#55 Feb 14, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Mental incompetence"? Define it, dunce.
It is already defined in the law as one who has been involuntarily committed to treatment or declared to be "mentally incompetent" by a court of law. I believe the standard is a mental condition, that is definable in the DSM-IV manual, that renders the subject to be a danger to themselves or to others. It has been applied to many individuals who thought that they were personally appointed or directly spoken to by god to carry out his will on earth.

Since: Apr 08

Charlottesville, VA

#62 Feb 15, 2010
Posts which violate the terms of service, quote deleted comments or are off topic have been removed from this thread.

From the Terms of Service ( http://www.topix.com/topix/terms ): "You agree to NOT use the service to: upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable."
The Bird

Covington, VA

#64 Feb 21, 2010
WMoore wrote:
Posts which violate the terms of service, quote deleted comments or are off topic have been removed from this thread.
From the Terms of Service ( http://www.topix.com/topix/terms ): "You agree to NOT use the service to: upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable."
Why not DELETE the NAACP from air time. When they discuss topics, they're off topic.

“KeepProclaiming Christ Death ”

Since: Dec 09

Ashburn, VA

#65 Feb 22, 2010
One Month Later, New Details in Appomattox Co. Shootings02/19/10 7:11 pm | reporter: Jeremy Mills

Court Date Set for Christopher Speight
Christopher Speight Hires Two Lawyers
Quarles Family,'Bo' Scruggs Laid to Rest
Appomattox Co., VA - Exactly one month has passed since eight people lost their lives- in and around an Appomattox County home.

Suspect Christopher Speight is still charged with just one of those murders, but prosecutors say more charges will be filed, and they could include multiple counts of capital murder.

We're learning more from newly released court records in Chris Speight's case.

The home at 3030 Snapps Mill Road now has a portable storage unit sitting out front.

Defense attorneys for Chris Speight, indicate in court filings that a real estate agent is working to sell the home.

The defense team also filed a motion to preserve the crime scene as it is and eliminate any additional cleaning or repair work.

That same motion indicates two of the murders took place in the living room and a third in the upstairs hallway.

The defense is also requesting any of the prosecution's evidence regarding Speight's history of mental illness.

In what could be a prelude to a trial defense, the motion says the "Defense Counsel reasonably believes that the Defendant is seriously mentally ill and has been for a considerable length of time."

The court papers also show that the defense expects the Commonwealth's theory of prosecution will be that Speight killed his sister and the others because of a dispute over the deed to the property.

Chris Speight's preliminary hearing is set for April 29.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appomattox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
christians helped elect the ANTICHRIST Nov 11 Reality Check 5
What happened to the Blair Products Company Fro... (May '07) Nov 10 Kim G 257
cop shoots woman Nov 8 bulk 3
Wheels of soul shooting Oct 31 Just curious 1
hang out Jul '17 not from here 1
Robert E. Lee Road changed to Buffalo Soldier R... (Feb '14) Jul '16 Donald 4
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1

Appomattox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance