Speight In Court Friday

Speight In Court Friday

There are 29 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Speight In Court Friday. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

We're learning more about the trouble background of the accused Appomattox shooter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fred

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 23, 2010
great coverage, this station rocks
ohmygoodness

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 23, 2010
This is awful! And one scary thing about it is--the Gov is about to make MORE drastic cuts in services for the Mentally Challenged. I guess that means we could see many more of these kinds of stories. Much sympathy to the families of the ones killed.
reader1

Loganville, GA

#6 Jan 23, 2010
And to think there still people that don't believe in the death penalty. Get the needle ready better yet he needs to fry. Burn in hell Speight.
Jonathan

Free Union, VA

#7 Jan 23, 2010
Reader I, great last statement. And I might add, another one who needs to burn in hell is the monster who killed that beautiful baby boy in Roanoke and now does not have the decency to let his family have his remains to properly meorialize their baby.

XD357Sig

“Killed by the thought Police”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9 Jan 23, 2010
What this country needs is a complete overhaul of the justice system as we now know it! We could be lean and mean if they would reform the judicial system. I am not talking about changing anyones rights to a fair trial, but your appeal process must be completed withing 90 days.
I think we have some old laws on the books that need to be updated with some new laws, and then several changes in other penalties. First off legalize all drugs, but you must purchase a $25 yearly permit to purchase and use, have reasonable limits on purchases allowed monthly, to prevent trafficking. charge a tax on all purchases, just like everything else, let the government get their share. Then anyone who is found in violation of trafficking or illegal distribution to a minor is hung, that will make it ok to rot your brain all you wish, if you follow the rules, break them, or endanger a youth , you get hung. That is the next law that needs to be changed, Anyone who harms a child, in any way, shape or form, they get hung. The reason I am saying hung, is we can reuse the same rope for years and it's paid for once. One big roll of rope could supply the whole country with it's needs.
Murders, Rapists, Terrorists, hang em all.
anyone currently serving jail time for small busts, let them go, give them one more shot at a normal life, without the restrictions, if they fail again, off to the rope they go. Then the only ones we will be left to deal with are the mentally insane, which sorry to say, the rope would work for those people as well!
Then all we will have left in the prison systems would be the Dead Beat Dads, the Crooks, the perverts, and the CO's having a grand old time.
we could probably fit them all in any one of our federal prisons.
Lean Mean Correctional Machine :)

XD357Sig

Location hidden

#10 Jan 23, 2010
I agree with both of you, but the needle needs to go, anyone who has ever had a surgery, knows what it feels like to die by lethal injection, the only thing you feel is going into a peaceful sleep. Ohhh Nooo , I want you to feel it baby, the chair works for me, but it cost's money every time you use the darn thing. Rope gets paid for once, and if you knew that if you got caught doing something, that you would hang, would you still do it ?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jan 23, 2010
ohmygoodness wrote:
This is awful! And one scary thing about it is--the Gov is about to make MORE drastic cuts in services for the Mentally Challenged. I guess that means we could see many more of these kinds of stories. Much sympathy to the families of the ones killed.
One important development that I was not aware of of till recently, Va has closed its state run pharmacy due to budget cuts. Now for those of you who are intellectually challenged, closing the pharmacy is probably a good thing, heaven forbid the crasys should get free meds. But guess who's gonna cry the loudest when these people start acting out on the street and you or someone in your family becomes a victim. Va already is in the dark ages in its aproach to dealing with mental illness, an arbitrary move like this is one step closer to letting loose a whole bunch of Changs. For those with short memories Chang was the Va Tec monster. So keep up the good work, cut that budget, the grave diggers have job security.
The Bird

Covington, VA

#14 Jan 31, 2010
XD357Sig wrote:
What this country needs is a complete overhaul of the justice system as we now know it! We could be lean and mean if they would reform the judicial system. I am not talking about changing anyones rights to a fair trial, but your appeal process must be completed withing 90 days.
I think we have some old laws on the books that need to be updated with some new laws, and then several changes in other penalties. First off legalize all drugs, but you must purchase a $25 yearly permit to purchase and use, have reasonable limits on purchases allowed monthly, to prevent trafficking. charge a tax on all purchases, just like everything else, let the government get their share. Then anyone who is found in violation of trafficking or illegal distribution to a minor is hung, that will make it ok to rot your brain all you wish, if you follow the rules, break them, or endanger a youth , you get hung. That is the next law that needs to be changed, Anyone who harms a child, in any way, shape or form, they get hung. The reason I am saying hung, is we can reuse the same rope for years and it's paid for once. One big roll of rope could supply the whole country with it's needs.
Murders, Rapists, Terrorists, hang em all.
anyone currently serving jail time for small busts, let them go, give them one more shot at a normal life, without the restrictions, if they fail again, off to the rope they go. Then the only ones we will be left to deal with are the mentally insane, which sorry to say, the rope would work for those people as well!
Then all we will have left in the prison systems would be the Dead Beat Dads, the Crooks, the perverts, and the CO's having a grand old time.
we could probably fit them all in any one of our federal prisons.
Lean Mean Correctional Machine :)
I agree. For an overhaul to take place voters much do some research on their cadidate, find out exactly what he/she have voted for in their political forums. Instead of just listening to campaign speeches.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#15 Feb 3, 2010
XD357Sig wrote:
What this country needs is a complete overhaul of the justice system as we now know it!
Exactly, and the best way to a future "speight" of crimes is to start by expanding on laws that would make simple accusations of mental instability a lifetime bar to a person's ability to legally possess a firearm.

As for a 25 dollar tax for a person to grow pot on their own property for their own consumption? Are you an idiot? Where in the Constution, does it say that the government has the authority tax people for growing things on their own property, for their own consumption?

“KeepProclaiming Christ Death ”

Since: Dec 09

Jenkintown, PA

#37 Feb 11, 2010
I think the Speight murders is a great tragidy. What lead this man to kill these people I will never understand. Until we find out what puts evil into a mans heart we'll never stop things like this. Speight will probaby become a study case for psychotherapist. It could be Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), novelty seeking, schizophrenia, or a hundred other disorders relating to disorders during child or adolescenc. All I know is looking to higher power for help. Power of prayer! It gets me through!
Lowglow

Harrisonville, MO

#38 Feb 11, 2010
I 100% agree, I'm a very dedicated 2nd Amendment supporter, but when someone is not in control of their faculty's and not considered responsible and has a long History of mental problems. they should not be allowed to own a firearm or even drive a Car in some cases and I have to wonder with this Man's history how was he able to get a Carry Concealed Permit ?, I mean I suffer from MS and had to go get several letters from Doctors that said I was safe to Carry and be interviewed by the Sheriff before my permit was issued because of my disabilitie.

Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly, and the best way to a future "speight" of crimes is to start by expanding on laws that would make simple accusations of mental instability a lifetime bar to a person's ability to legally possess a firearm.
As for a 25 dollar tax for a person to grow pot on their own property for their own consumption? Are you an idiot? Where in the Constution, does it say that the government has the authority tax people for growing things on their own property, for their own consumption?

Ashburn, VA

#39 Feb 12, 2010
Every year, more than two thousand people die in the United States from gun-related injuries. The population groups most affected by these avoidable deaths are children and young adolescents. The misuse of firearms is a problem worldwide, of course. However, the incidence of firearm use does vary from country to country. According to the United Nations Report on Firearm Regulation, Crime Prevention, and Criminal Justice (1997), the United States has "weaker firearm regulations and higher numbers of deaths involving firearms than all other industrialised—and even most developing —nations." The study also noted that the total firearm death rate in the United States in 1995 was 13.7 per 100,000 people, "three times the average rate among other responding countries and the third highest, after Brazil and Jamaica."

Maybe we need stricter laws processing the mental health release form SP-66 for buying guns?
Imcrazyitscool

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Feb 12, 2010
a .50 cent trigger lock could prevent those deaths..... I could see extending efforts to educate about gun safety but why should I have to forefieght my rights because some idiot didn't want to unvest .50 cents or a dollar for a trigger lock or even yet lock thier gun up away from the kids. My daughter has grown up around guns her whole life, would she ever touch one, no not without adult supervision and consent. She knows better because I taught her better, and she respects that. Matter of fact she will be taking the hunting safety and gun safety class this summer. I think these are great options if you own a gun and have children in the home. It is taught by deputies from the sherriffs department and game wardens and is well worth the time invested.

XD357Sig

Location hidden

#42 Feb 12, 2010
Imcrazyitscool wrote:
a .50 cent trigger lock could prevent those deaths..... I could see extending efforts to educate about gun safety but why should I have to forefieght my rights because some idiot didn't want to unvest .50 cents or a dollar for a trigger lock or even yet lock thier gun up away from the kids. My daughter has grown up around guns her whole life, would she ever touch one, no not without adult supervision and consent. She knows better because I taught her better, and she respects that. Matter of fact she will be taking the hunting safety and gun safety class this summer. I think these are great options if you own a gun and have children in the home. It is taught by deputies from the sherriffs department and game wardens and is well worth the time invested.
I agree, my gun education started with my children the day the first gun entered our house ! they have all been taught the proper handling, as well as the power released when a trigger is squeezed, I used watermelons to show them the damage a bullet does to what it hits, they all understand that guns aren't toys. while my my & I both keeps are handguns loaded at all times, those guns are both with us at all times. the guns that aren't are the ones with trigger locks installed on them, rendering them useless, both for my children, their friends and anyone who may ever break in a try to steal them, they will be useless unless they can break the master trigger locks off, which I have tried in the past, they are indestructible. our handguns, when they aren't with us, are kept locked in a biosafe that uses fingerprints to open them. Gun safety starts with education, but it's reinforced with locks, I know I never want to bury one of my children or one of their friends when a simple trigger lock and some education could have prevented it.
Imcrazyitscool

Charlottesville, VA

#43 Feb 12, 2010
A few simple measures go a looooooong way. All you need is a little common sense.

United States

#44 Feb 12, 2010
"Matter of fact she will be taking the hunting safety and gun safety class this summer. I think these are great options if you own a gun and have children in the home."

I am so supportive of this. My sons and daughter all passed this course at an early age. Gun education is the key, and if you are going to have guns around anyone, especially someone who is known to be unstable, they need to be under lock and key and/or contain trigger locks.

Ashburn, VA

#45 Feb 13, 2010
I think most people are responsible when handling their guns. There are those like Speights that should not have had guns. Should be stricter laws processing the mental health release form SP-66. The last part to this mental health release form (Part 3) the treating Physician has to sign and date when applicant was treated. But they can always note on it the applicant was successfully treated and released. Courts should subpoena Speight SP-66 form and inquire the treating Physician's notes.
American

Ball, LA

#46 Feb 13, 2010
XD357Sig wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, my gun education started with my children the day the first gun entered our house ! they have all been taught the proper handling, as well as the power released when a trigger is squeezed, I used watermelons to show them the damage a bullet does to what it hits, they all understand that guns aren't toys. while my my & I both keeps are handguns loaded at all times, those guns are both with us at all times. the guns that aren't are the ones with trigger locks installed on them, rendering them useless, both for my children, their friends and anyone who may ever break in a try to steal them, they will be useless unless they can break the master trigger locks off, which I have tried in the past, they are indestructible. our handguns, when they aren't with us, are kept locked in a biosafe that uses fingerprints to open them. Gun safety starts with education, but it's reinforced with locks, I know I never want to bury one of my children or one of their friends when a simple trigger lock and some education could have prevented it.
Project Childsafe trigger locks are being recalled. Item #GL710-NSSF made in Taiwan is not an effective device to use in keeping the trigger of any firearm from being engaged or pulled. I was informed of this by my state legislator and the Wildlife & Fisheries Department. Lock Up Your Guns in a steel storage safe.

XD357Sig

Location hidden

#48 Feb 13, 2010
American wrote:
<quoted text>
Project Childsafe trigger locks are being recalled. Item #GL710-NSSF made in Taiwan is not an effective device to use in keeping the trigger of any firearm from being engaged or pulled. I was informed of this by my state legislator and the Wildlife & Fisheries Department. Lock Up Your Guns in a steel storage safe.
I use master lock brand trigger locks, once they are locked into place on the trigger guard, they cannot be moved, period ! I wouldn't use a cable lock they aren't reliable enough in my eyes !

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#49 Feb 13, 2010
American wrote:
<quoted text>
Project Childsafe trigger locks are being recalled.
and "project childsafe" trigger locks would have prevented this shooting how?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appomattox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fallwell should have been Secretary of Education! Dec 4 Trump is the man 1
Is Jenny Poore really an idiot? Dec 1 Jenny P 1
What happened to the Coffee Cup on Timberlake Rd. Nov 27 Holton Walker 2
King Of Germany (Apr '13) Nov 26 whiteboyrick 4
heat and air contractors (Apr '16) Nov 23 tahoeguy 2
Hells angels Nov 23 tahoeguy 2
News Anti-Trump column pulled from Liberty U student... Nov 23 Liberty Lover 4

Appomattox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance