Pork rinds, cigs and six-packs: corru...

Pork rinds, cigs and six-packs: corruption in Virginia's backwo...

There are 5 comments on the Richmond Times-Dispatch story from Mar 3, 2006, titled Pork rinds, cigs and six-packs: corruption in Virginia's backwo.... In it, Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that:

Ray's column appears Tues., Thurs. and Sat. Contact him at 649-6333; fax 775-8059; or email rmcallister @timesdispatch.com   Just the good ol' boys, Never meanin' no harm, Beats all you've ever saw, Been in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Barbara Burton

Vinton, VA

#1 Mar 15, 2006
Appalachia did not always have the repitation it has gotten in recent weeks. My mother is from Appalachia. I spent my summers there as I was growing up. My grandfather was police chief there for several years. It was a good place to growup. I know that there are still a lot of good people living there.
It amazes me that these people act as if they have done nothing wrong. If it were me and my name had been spead across the United States; I think I would find a hole and crawl in.
LP of Abingdon

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Mar 15, 2006
Did you know that the Appalachia Police Capt, Ben Surber, was fired from the Glade Spring, VA Police Dept for purchasing guns on the towns' account and selling them for cash? Did you know he has had several bad check charges against him? Check the Washington Co VA News Articles from the past. Go to the courthouse in Smyth and Washington county and search public records and you'll see. How in the world did he even get considered as a police officer after this happened?

Oh, and his Dad, is police chief Steve Surber in Saltville, VA. He was suspended last year for buying personal items on the towns' account. You can search Bristol Herald Courier News Articles to confirm this. The citizens got him his job back. They love him.
crawl in

Gallatin, TN

#3 Oct 23, 2010
....WOW...
blondeynbsg

Paducah, KY

#4 Oct 24, 2010
wow
blondeynbsg

Paducah, KY

#5 Oct 24, 2010
well i grew up n appy too- and i just spent the last two hours talking to the new cop for appy and another one ive known forever- i think they are all pretty decent men!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appalachia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heat 4 hr ABE 2
Anyone know 8 hr Curious 12
Donald Trump (Aug '16) 22 hr ExGOP 60
nathan gardner 22 hr Chad44 10
Appalachia Dead Town Sun some one to 2
Norton Ingles closing for good Sat... Sun Icanexplain 15
Mitch Kennedy May 20 Mali 5

Appalachia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance