Birth defects study: More inconvenien...

Birth defects study: More inconvenient facts about the impact of mountaintop removal coal mining

There are 39 comments on the blogs.wvgazette.com story from Jul 1, 2011, titled Birth defects study: More inconvenient facts about the impact of mountaintop removal coal mining . In it, blogs.wvgazette.com reports that:

June 30, 2011 by Ken Ward Jr. Researchers found "significantly higher" rates of birth defects in areas with mountaintop removal mines than in non-mining regions in central Appalachia, according to a study released Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.wvgazette.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#21 Jul 2, 2011
Marrying cousins....not cool either..
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#22 Jul 3, 2011
the marrying cousins thing would explain more than birth defects, It would explain a lot of posts on topix.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#23 Jul 3, 2011
Dr Mudd, I am well aware that Ken Ward is a journalist and not a scientist. Just as you are aware that he is very anti MTR and not in any way objective on this issue. I already conceeded that people who live in areas where mineral extraction or heavy manufacturing have more health problems than other people. As for the study coming out of a university, so did all those global warming theories that were debunked.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#24 Jul 3, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
Dr Mudd, I am well aware that Ken Ward is a journalist and not a scientist. Just as you are aware that he is very anti MTR and not in any way objective on this issue. I already conceeded that people who live in areas where mineral extraction or heavy manufacturing have more health problems than other people. As for the study coming out of a university, so did all those global warming theories that were debunked.
When it comes to MTR, there is nothing there to be objective about and there is nothing good about it, unless of course it's your job and that's just plain facts period.
Nothing has been debunked. The global warming trend is a theory just as all who claim its not possible, is a theory. There has yet to be solid evidence of either or. Another fact.
emm

United States

#25 Jul 5, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
EMM thanks for making my point, Mr Ward often prints stories that no one else will. Given the ongoing war against coal being waged by the Obama Administration I dont think you can say their is any shortage of people to do anti-coal stories. But I know where you are coming from as you are consistent in your views and opinions. The main issue for me is that as a state we are too unhealthy for a variety of reasons. Of course people in general are not as healthy in areas where heavy manufacturing and mineral extraction take place. That is just a fact of life in those areas. West Virginians as a whole need to lay of the tobacco,alcohol, pills, gravy and biscuits. Im good on the alcohol, pills and tobacco, but I am not giving up my gravy and biscuits
An occasional gravy and bisquit never hurt anyone. I'm not giving that up either but I might run an extra mile that evening.:)
emm

United States

#26 Jul 5, 2011
On the subject of MTR....I just wish there was a little more balance. A little more concern about the environment and people. If there are rules put in place to ensure the most protection we can then those rules should be followed and enforced. IF the EPA/DEP is the enforcing agency then don't come down on them for doing their jobs if they shut a site down that is not following the rules. I still wish it would stop all together but I'm willing to compromise some.
emm

United States

#27 Jul 5, 2011
DrMUDD wrote:
Marrying cousins....not cool either..
I have one "cousin" though that is DAMN hot. I say "cousin" because it is believed by most in the family he's not actually my blood cousin. I hope because it is kind of disturbing that I used to find myself "thinking" of him in ways you shouldn't think of a cousin. ;)
bill-y

Ogden, AR

#28 Jul 5, 2011
Please read the topic :: Natural Gas Production :::: My Opinions And Thoughts on this forum,and debunk it.

billy
killer

United States

#29 Aug 7, 2011
Emm, do us all a favor and put a loaded 9mm pistol in your mouth and pull the trigger. See what kind of defect it gives you. Cousin f**cking sicko
bfb

Oak Hill, WV

#30 Aug 7, 2011
that,s wv for you ; their is no lifeguard at the gene pool in wv.
Hello

Nashville, TN

#31 Aug 8, 2011
I've seen many studies done and they can have the study to sway which ever way they want at least when they get done stripping the land is put to good use but when they log they leave it bear and ugly why not jump on that band wagon.
emm

United States

#32 Aug 8, 2011
killer wrote:
Emm, do us all a favor and put a loaded 9mm pistol in your mouth and pull the trigger. See what kind of defect it gives you. Cousin f**cking sicko
Wow! Really?
emm

United States

#33 Aug 8, 2011
killer wrote:
can you not read....he was NOT actually a blood relative and all I did was "think." I would have never have acted on it because we called him "cousin" because my uncle married his mother. I'm not some of you people actually read the comments.
bubba

Fayetteville, WV

#34 Aug 8, 2011
bfb wrote:
that,s wv for you ; their is no lifeguard at the gene pool in wv.
It's all relative
Kelvin Morris

Chicago, IL

#36 Feb 18, 2012
With this news, birth defects may be caused by a lot of things. I've read that antidepressant Paxil may cause the same. There should be a lot of awareness about antidepressants or other medications because of the side effects it may contain.
See: http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#37 Feb 18, 2012
TRY study about Vaccines and their side affects and try watching and studying about ALL the Law suits on every Drug that is given by Doctors to women..ranging from birth control to anxiety drugs and simple allergy pills, that are causing Birth defects and a host of many other issues.....then when YOU read that...coal mining will seem like a life saver..and not the problem YOU are trying to make it out to be !!!

And no that study like most all others pertaining to the coal Industry is done by groups tryng to ban coal mining altogether so they are bias and mostly Non factual !!!
Sick of it

United States

#38 Feb 18, 2012
What's healthy about coal mining? Do you think it is just an inert practice and has no ill effects? Do you see the people associated with coal prospering? How about the towns near strip sites, do they come out ahead?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#39 Feb 18, 2012
Its Kept,WV alive for centuries try reading a History book...and everything has effects on societies and its environments....even ignorant people and drug heads and alcoholics and murderers and rapists and Doctors and Lawyers and even in some places Indian Chiefs !!!

Alot of places drink their own pee and poop...and re cycle its own feces for many uses...What about the water supply that the Sewer recycles ? I do not see you harping on that subject ? Or the millions of perscription dope heads and Doctors who help create them and that are destroying our neighborhoods ? I could go on for hours, on many issues that affect our culture and way of living,..But maybe you got the message....FOR EVERY action there is a Reaction...its just common sense....BUT IF they Stop All coal mining what will You do without electricity everyday ? Think about that as well !!
Erika

Phoenix, AZ

#40 Aug 29, 2012
Everything that is outside the body has the power to influence it one way or the other. There are several issues on health that are connected with the heavy industrial wastes that companies are using. One might easily dismiss these theories, but these birth defect cases are something that needs to be looked into. You may also refer http://www.zoloftlawsuithelpcenter.com for related data.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appalachia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robin j 9 hr Hot under the collar 1
Donald Trump 17 hr jamesdeaton077 26
Hospital Reviews Mon Dumbfounded 1
Wallens Ridge State Pen (Mar '14) Mon betty davis eyes 3
Keeping Big Stone Honest Mon betty davis eyes 3
prayers Aug 20 prayers 5
Woodboogers Aug 20 PV Forever 2

Appalachia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance