ORANGE OKs Red-Light Cameras, Tickets Wait to Fall

Bowing to pressure to install red-light cameras -- just as various other governments around Florida have already done -- Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty voted with fellow county leaders today to install the safety devices in high-rick intersections of the county. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
puh-lease

Palm Coast, FL

#1 Mar 24, 2009
the only thing these lifelong politicians are concerned about keeping safe is the tax coffer. The fact that they pushed this through with a complete disregard for whether it was accurate or not only proves the point. The just want to find a new tax without calling it a tax, and now you will be taxed for driving down the f***ing street. Watch for the yellow light cycles to get much shorter, sheeple.
Memyselfni

United States

#2 Mar 24, 2009
high-rick? aren't there any proofreaders at the sentinel?
Tim

Pinellas Park, FL

#3 Mar 24, 2009
This is another money maker for the city. I bet they won't get rid of any cops even though the cameras are doing their job for them. The cops will just be monitoring us somewhere else, waiting for us to do something wrong and ticket/tax us on the spot. All the crime going on around town, you would think maybe this might free up a few cops to patrol our neighborhoods.

Since: Feb 08

Central FL & Wash DC

#4 Mar 24, 2009
Memyselfni wrote:
high-rick? aren't there any proofreaders at the sentinel?
Haha.. was thinking the same thing... guess the proofreaders are on vacation or perhaps they think there are "high-rick" intersections .
THIS IS NOT BREAKING NEWS

Winter Garden, FL

#5 Mar 24, 2009
Time to buy the license plate covers
Anon

Edgewater, FL

#6 Mar 24, 2009
This is from NBC 4 in DC on the subject of red light cameras:

"D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty is proposing more speed cameras and red-light cameras to help the city raise money in tight budget times."

And who says it is not about money and not safety.
Hector

Melbourne, FL

#8 Mar 24, 2009
I'm guessing we'll see abuse of these cameras. If you are under the light and it goes from yellow to red, or behind a semi turning left and can't see the light turn red as he goes under it, etc.
I can see it if it's used for what the intention is, but I'll bet we start on that slippery slope. Jaywalking is next,
and then cameras and radar points at different spots on the interstate. Over 55 and you get an automatic ticket.
Coming soon.
jrr

Melbourne, FL

#9 Mar 24, 2009
The Texas Transportation Institute shows that engineering improvements are an effective alternative to cameras.

The Texas Transportation Institute examined concerns that red light cameras were being used by cities that had not first exhausted available engineering alternatives such as improving signal timing and visibility. They studied individual police accident reports from 181 intersection approaches across three Texas cities over three years to determine the most effective solutions for problem intersections.

The study found that improving signal visibility reduced violations 25 percent. Other changes could net between 18 and 48 percent reductions. Yet they found when the yellow signal was 1 second shorter than what the standard ITE timing formula specifies as a minimum, red light violations jumped 110%. Adding an additional second to the ITE minimum yellow yielded 53% reduction in violations, producing the greatest benefit of all the factors studied (2-6). When safety is the main concern, preventing crashes is more important than reducing violations. Yellow signal timing again proved most effective in reducing crashes. An extra second yielded a 40 percent collision reduction.

The study also found that the vast majority of red light camera tickets are issued within the first second a light is red -- in fact, the average ticket is issued when the light has been red for half a second or less. Yet right-angle crashes, which account for the majority of red-light related collisions, "with one exception, all of the right-angle crashes occurred after 5 seconds or more of red" (5-16). In other words, tickets are being issued primarily for split-second violations where collisions are not occurring.

Affiliated Computer Services has 55 clients in the United States and Canada, including Washington and San Diego. It provides camera systems and in some cases administers the processing of citations. The cameras first made their appearance in Europe and Australia in the 1970's, but came to the United States only in 1993, when, with little fanfare or warning, New York City started installing them.Affiliated Computer Services purchased Lockheed Martin IMS in August 2001 for $825 million

Lets see:
private company buys the technology for 825 million.
private firms maintains equipment and administrates revenue stream.
government retains piece of the action.

intersection are safer when the yellow signal is extended.

ummmm?? county went for the cash
Patriot

United States

#10 Mar 24, 2009
RGAG wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha.. was thinking the same thing... guess the proofreaders are on vacation or perhaps they think there are "high-rick" intersections .
An OS reporter in another topic stated that they are writing the stories on their cell phones as they go from place to place. No editor.

Pretty soon we'll find that there's just one guy at the OS, sock-puppeting the whole venture.
DriveBy Poster

United States

#11 Mar 24, 2009
Tim wrote:
This is another money maker for the city. I bet they won't get rid of any cops even though the cameras are doing their job for them. The cops will just be monitoring us somewhere else, waiting for us to do something wrong and ticket/tax us on the spot. All the crime going on around town, you would think maybe this might free up a few cops to patrol our neighborhoods.

Umm, can you see the contradiction(s) in anything you just wrote?
DriveBy Poster

United States

#12 Mar 24, 2009
Hector wrote:
Jaywalking is next,
and then cameras and radar points at different spots on the interstate. Over 55 and you get an automatic ticket.
Coming soon.
Works for me. Crime is crime. Speeding is speeding. Catch 'em with a camera, catch 'em with a cop, catch 'em with radar, catch 'em however you want and however you can. Just catch 'em and catch more of 'em. Catch 'em, fine 'em, arrest 'em. Just make the highways safer.
I have a hard time understanding how anybody could disagree with that. But I guess it tells you a lot about them.
HMMMM

Palm Coast, FL

#13 Mar 24, 2009
Ok, Rich (Crotty) you can go back to voting for a rate increase for the expressway.
DriveBy Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
Works for me. Crime is crime. Speeding is speeding. Catch 'em with a camera, catch 'em with a cop, catch 'em with radar, catch 'em however you want and however you can. Just catch 'em and catch more of 'em. Catch 'em, fine 'em, arrest 'em. Just make the highways safer.
I have a hard time understanding how anybody could disagree with that. But I guess it tells you a lot about them.
E Vey

Deltona, FL

#14 Mar 24, 2009
Here's an idea:
Let's use the stimulus package money to hire 500 traffic cops in Orange County. All they could do is issue traffic citations.

<Harassment!> would be the cry.
hannah

Shreveport, LA

#15 Mar 24, 2009
It's about time Richie came around. His lap dog county attorney would have the county stuck in the stone age if he continued to have it his way. A pesky lawsuit would cut into his golf game too.

I'm glad to see it. Folks who oppose it are the smokers and drinkers of the driving world. Think of it as a sin tax for all the morons who would endanger the rest of us, and let them fill the county coffers. Better that than taxing us for doing nothing more than owning property.

Kudos to Stewart and Segal for pressing the issue.
Thanks Anon

United States

#16 Mar 24, 2009
Anon wrote:
This is from NBC 4 in DC on the subject of red light cameras:
"D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty is proposing more speed cameras and red-light cameras to help the city raise money in tight budget times."
And who says it is not about money and not safety.
Being from DC and serving on a panel that provided funding for this program (I voted against it), I know this to be very true. The people of OC have no idea what they are getting into. Pretty soon there will be red light cameras at nearly every major intersection. It will soon be followed up by speeding cameras and then stop sign cameras (which DC already has). The speeding cameras are placed in undisclosed locations and they will mail you a ticket for going 5 over, not the 8mph we recommended.
During our hearings we had several expert witnesses testify as to the dangers that the cameras pose. We studied the Arlington Va cameras (Arlington was the first in the area to have cameras) and found out several interesting things had happened. Red light running went down but accidents went up. This was caused by people approaching the intersections and seeing the amber (or yellow) light and slamming on the brakes causing almost double of the accidents from the previous year. Fatalities though did go down by 2 people which was the reason DC then chose to order the cameras. Another investigation was then done by another group which found that when the cameras were installed, the timing in the lights from amber to red was shortened to increase red light tickets.
It's funny that so many people are for these projects, but know very little of the consequences. It's a shame that the world is sleeping. Wake up!
Thanks Anon

United States

#17 Mar 24, 2009
hannah wrote:
It's about time Richie came around. His lap dog county attorney would have the county stuck in the stone age if he continued to have it his way. A pesky lawsuit would cut into his golf game too.
I'm glad to see it. Folks who oppose it are the smokers and drinkers of the driving world. Think of it as a sin tax for all the morons who would endanger the rest of us, and let them fill the county coffers. Better that than taxing us for doing nothing more than owning property.
Kudos to Stewart and Segal for pressing the issue.
Sorry Hanah, I don't drink or smoke. I just believe that you are blinded by what your County Government is telling you. These cameras are only about the money not safety. In a few years when you are at home and check your mail and you recieve a ticket for going 6 mph on I4 you will know what I mean. Its coming because most people are blinded by the money grab. I'm willing to bet that you believe that the Federal Reserve is a US Government agency and not a private bank too. Sorry that was off topic, but you are blinded by everything a politician will tell you.
DennisS

United States

#18 Mar 24, 2009
Sheriff Demmings needs to prepare his staff for a lay off when these cameras are put online. The need for deputies will become less, fight the cameras Sheriff.
Thanks Anon

United States

#19 Mar 24, 2009
jrr wrote:
The Texas Transportation Institute shows that engineering improvements are an effective alternative to cameras.
The Texas Transportation Institute examined concerns that red light cameras were being used by cities that had not first exhausted available engineering alternatives such as improving signal timing and visibility. They studied individual police accident reports from 181 intersection approaches across three Texas cities over three years to determine the most effective solutions for problem intersections.
The study found that improving signal visibility reduced violations 25 percent. Other changes could net between 18 and 48 percent reductions. Yet they found when the yellow signal was 1 second shorter than what the standard ITE timing formula specifies as a minimum, red light violations jumped 110%. Adding an additional second to the ITE minimum yellow yielded 53% reduction in violations, producing the greatest benefit of all the factors studied (2-6). When safety is the main concern, preventing crashes is more important than reducing violations. Yellow signal timing again proved most effective in reducing crashes. An extra second yielded a 40 percent collision reduction.
The study also found that the vast majority of red light camera tickets are issued within the first second a light is red -- in fact, the average ticket is issued when the light has been red for half a second or less. Yet right-angle crashes, which account for the majority of red-light related collisions, "with one exception, all of the right-angle crashes occurred after 5 seconds or more of red" (5-16). In other words, tickets are being issued primarily for split-second violations where collisions are not occurring.
Affiliated Computer Services has 55 clients in the United States and Canada, including Washington and San Diego. It provides camera systems and in some cases administers the processing of citations. The cameras first made their appearance in Europe and Australia in the 1970's, but came to the United States only in 1993, when, with little fanfare or warning, New York City started installing them.Affiliated Computer Services purchased Lockheed Martin IMS in August 2001 for $825 million
Lets see:
private company buys the technology for 825 million.
private firms maintains equipment and administrates revenue stream.
government retains piece of the action.
intersection are safer when the yellow signal is extended.
ummmm?? county went for the cash
Very well put. The commision on Red Light DC went through basically the same thing, citing some of the same information you just posted. We were ignored as DC opted for the easy money grab. The people won't understand until its too late. It's a tragic sign of the times.
Thanks Anon

United States

#20 Mar 24, 2009
THIS IS NOT BREAKING NEWS wrote:
Time to buy the license plate covers
It wont work. The law was changed so that license plate covers were made illegal in DC, MD and VA shortly after the cameras came out in VA. License plates cannot be covered in any way including clear or tinted covers.
E Vey

Deltona, FL

#21 Mar 24, 2009
DennisS wrote:
Sheriff Demmings needs to prepare his staff for a lay off when these cameras are put online. The need for deputies will become less, fight the cameras Sheriff.
Maybe we should bring back the "good old days."

Before 1980, if you were caught running a red light you went TO JAIL. The cities ran their own jails for traffic violators and it cost about $100 bond to get out. Same if you were caught speeding. In fact, the police were paid on totally on commission from traffic tickets.

Maitland and Windermere financed their whole city government on traffic tickets and charged no property taxes which is why all the big houses got built in Windemere. Disney employees paid it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Apopka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gone to Hell 2 hr the circus is in ... 1
America's Gone To Hell Everywhere 2 hr the circus is in ... 1
Kira Kazantsev's Talent 2 hr the circus is in ... 1
let batterson bond out!!!!! 3 hr the circus is in ... 1
Big snakes in Tallahassee too 4 hr the circus is in ... 1
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 4 hr feliciano 2,976
Smelly Food 5 hr the circus is in ... 1
•••
•••
•••

Apopka Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Apopka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Apopka News, Events & Info