WNC students missing out on math, sci...

WNC students missing out on math, science, technology scholarships?

There are 1 comment on the www.citizen-times.com story from Feb 1, 2009, titled WNC students missing out on math, science, technology scholarships?. In it, www.citizen-times.com reports that:

As I write this article, I can't help but wonder how many high school students, teachers, parents, educators, administrators and government officials in WNC know that Sajith Wickramasekara and Andrew Guo, two ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.citizen-times.com.

ChrisMoller

Newton, NC

#1 Feb 1, 2009
"Teachers are working hard to meet the ABC goals and No Child Left Behind targets and don’t have time for the gifted students."

In other words, the school system is expending the greatest amount of effort on students and programs that offer the least benefit to society. Failing to reward and nurture superiority is guaranteed to produce, at best, mediocrity.

NCLB and the like is what you get when you start applying political "solutions" to real-world problems--simplistic, narrow-minded, "solutions" that ignore inconvenient bits of reality like that getting some kids up to even the minimal standards of NCLB requires effort vastly greater than any possible benefit to those kids, or society, and comes at the expense of kids who could benefit from the effort.

You get what you pay for--rewarding stupidity gets you, on average, more stupidity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Apex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) May 26 gmail sign in 40
News Sheriff's Office chasing leads on Thursday home... May 26 Maggie 1
Cop's in Marshall County May 25 wosie 2
duke lacrose losers May 21 Duke Blue 2
Review: Affordable Dentures - James Bruce Gray DDS (Feb '10) May 12 Ganga 21
Living in Cary (Mar '06) Apr '16 Yankee Dave 506
News Apex unveils electric car charging stations (May '14) Apr '16 rM22 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Apex Mortgages