Jean-Paul Garnett: Tolls and taxes

There are 1 comment on the The Cary News story from Feb 16, 2013, titled Jean-Paul Garnett: Tolls and taxes. In it, The Cary News reports that:

The Feb. 2 letter “Impatience takes a toll” in The News & Observer stated the reason for tolls on the western/southern arc of I-540 was that impatient Western Wake County residents had to have their highway right away without waiting for construction funded by taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cary News.

Paul Jones

Raleigh, NC

#1 Feb 18, 2013
I don't believe that to be the case. Recall that the NC Turnpike Commission (or whatever it was called at the time) was established to study whether NC needs a toll road or not. Surprise, surprise, they said it did. Anytime you give somebody a job, they'll do it. And anytime you are asked to show the benefit of extra money, a benefit can be found. People in Western Wake County definitely needed a better road than Hwy 55, since the two lanes going through downtown Apex were painful in the morning. Was the road needed? Yes. Did NC have to toll that road? No. Did they have to start before funding was available? No. Would the world end if the existing 2 lanes were used even for the next 2 years? No. Were there other options for funding? Sure. Question I have is why in the world NC decided to even consider tolling for the first time ever? Yeah, there is more traffic, but does that not also mean there is more revenue from gas, vehicle taxes, etc.? I see no reason for tolls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Apex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Town leaders may loosen downtown development rules Apr 30 Traffic and Parking 1
News Spices of Liberty - Movie Update Apr 23 John Cathy 1
Poll Davonte Fennell is very famous (Apr '08) Apr 16 Barbiegrl 84
Brad Cooper - Fair and Just Trial? WHO MIGHT B... (May '11) Apr 15 ROFLMAO 1,308
When is Chatham Park construction going to begin? Apr 14 Jferrell90211 1
News Why Are Top Merchants Abandoning eBay (NASDAQ:E... Apr 9 Philip Cohen 1
Kentucky basketball best program ever Apr 7 Craig 12
More from around the web

Apex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]