Living in Cary
First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Michele

Orange, CT

#1 Mar 12, 2006
My husband, children, and I are looking to leave the hustle, bustle, and extreme cold of the northeast for a warmer, more family friendly environment. I have read some forums from another website which are split as to whether or not Cary is a good place to live. All of the research I have done on my own tells me that Cary would be an excellent city to raise my children in. Is Cary a good place to raise kids? Is it really the 9th safest city? Is the traffic really bad and jobs scarce? My husband and I are both in IT and see a tremendous amount of IT jobs in Cary and surrounding areas. Are these jobs real or is it just a smoke screen. My husband and I both have fallen in love with Cary sight unseen from the research we have done but the comments made on other forums have us second guessing our decision. Looking to escape the cold of CT.
WebSmith

Raleigh, NC

#2 Mar 13, 2006
I have been living in Cary for last 13 years and now raising 2 kids. As far as good schools and good recreation for kids, I am very happy with Cary. Cary has growing pains. Town is doing very good in building infrastructure and making developers pay for it. There is a little lag between growth and infrastructure and so you have to live with substandard roads for a while. The projects that are on paper when done in next 5 years will make life much easier. As far as being safe, it is a safe city. The growth will bring crime but on percentage basis, Cary is still getting rave reviews about being safest place.
Melissa

Goldsboro, NC

#3 Mar 15, 2006
I too myself moved to Cary to get away from the cold, Northeastern climate and found Cary through research. The jobs and pay are better here for me and the weather is exceptional. However, one thing the research didn't tell me is how snobby and uncaring the majority of the people I have met in Cary are. It's actually warmer in the North sitting in the middle of a 4 foot snow drift!
elpam

United States

#4 Mar 20, 2006
Melissa wrote:
I too myself moved to Cary to get away from the cold, Northeastern climate and found Cary through research. The jobs and pay are better here for me and the weather is exceptional. However, one thing the research didn't tell me is how snobby and uncaring the majority of the people I have met in Cary are. It's actually warmer in the North sitting in the middle of a 4 foot snow drift!
Maybe it's cold because in Cary because there are very few home grown tarheels actually living there. What percent of the residents that were actually born in the south reside in Cary? It's my understanding that Cary has the highest educational level of any community in the US. Maybe they are just to preoccupied with thinking that they just don't have the time or inclination to be talk to the folks in the market place?
Rick

Wake Forest, NC

#5 Mar 28, 2006
Michele wrote:
My husband, children, and I are looking to leave the hustle, bustle, and extreme cold of the northeast for a warmer, more family friendly environment. I have read some forums from another website which are split as to whether or not Cary is a good place to live. All of the research I have done on my own tells me that Cary would be an excellent city to raise my children in. Is Cary a good place to raise kids? Is it really the 9th safest city? Is the traffic really bad and jobs scarce? My husband and I are both in IT and see a tremendous amount of IT jobs in Cary and surrounding areas. Are these jobs real or is it just a smoke screen. My husband and I both have fallen in love with Cary sight unseen from the research we have done but the comments made on other forums have us second guessing our decision. Looking to escape the cold of CT.
Michelle

I moved from the NW part of PA, the Snowbelt as they refer to it and we have been here for 7 years....We love it..Cary, has pockets of development and community subsectors that you may want to explore...each has its own market and attraction to it.....The school issue is the only thing you may want to check into, depending on the age of your children, you may want to check out the schools and the redistricting plan they have for your area......I do miss the northern humor and some of the northern atttractions, but everyone has been pleasant...By the way we have a 2900 sf house for sale in the late summer...we are downsizing because of kids are leaving and we want to travel, so let us know....

rbain@nc.rr.com
Dulcie

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 23, 2006
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Cary from the Buffalo, NY area so all your comments are very interesting. We are wondering if any of you in the Cary area have experienced any foundation problems with your home due to the expansive clay soils. Would appreciate any info on structural issues etc. The reason I ask is there are problems with "sinking homes" in northern suburbs of Buffalo with just that type of soil.
WebSmith

Raleigh, NC

#7 Apr 24, 2006
Dulcie wrote:
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Cary from the Buffalo, NY area so all your comments are very interesting. We are wondering if any of you in the Cary area have experienced any foundation problems with your home due to the expansive clay soils. Would appreciate any info on structural issues etc. The reason I ask is there are problems with "sinking homes" in northern suburbs of Buffalo with just that type of soil.
I live in a poured concrete basement home. I have not heard anybody around us having problem with foundations. NC clay is solid as rock and will not move easily.
Kristi

Hayward, CA

#8 Apr 24, 2006
I have lived in California my whole life, but I am also thinking of relocating to Cary with my husband and two young children. I am wondering how many months of humidity there is. Do you get used to it or do you have to stay indoors most of the time? Also, I'm a little concerned about what I've heard about people being a bit pretentious. Are there parts of Cary that would be less snobby?
Michele

United States

#9 May 11, 2006
Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. My family and I are very excited about moving to Cary. Ironically, our plan is to have our moved completed toward the end of the summer. God works in mysterious ways.

Unfortunately, living in CT, and both of us being laid off at the same time and dealing with a crooked mortgage company, cost us our home and $42,000 in equity and has done a number on our credit and we are probably not in a position to buy a house at this time. We are looking to rent for a period of time to reestablish our credit when we move to Cary.

I am extremely appreciative to you though for thinking of us. Any other Cary info that you can share would be helpful. We will be down there Memorial weekend and it would be nice to meet you in person.

God Bless,

Michele
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Michelle
I moved from the NW part of PA, the Snowbelt as they refer to it and we have been here for 7 years....We love it..Cary, has pockets of development and community subsectors that you may want to explore...each has its own market and attraction to it.....The school issue is the only thing you may want to check into, depending on the age of your children, you may want to check out the schools and the redistricting plan they have for your area......I do miss the northern humor and some of the northern atttractions, but everyone has been pleasant...By the way we have a 2900 sf house for sale in the late summer...we are downsizing because of kids are leaving and we want to travel, so let us know....
rbain@nc.rr.com
Michele

United States

#10 May 11, 2006
WebSmith wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in a poured concrete basement home. I have not heard anybody around us having problem with foundations. NC clay is solid as rock and will not move easily.
It's good to know Cary is on a solid foundation.
Jim

Edison, NJ

#11 May 16, 2006
Seems like Cary is the dumping grounds for misplaced Northerns. Beware NC as the moving vans arrive from the North they also bring with them Northern attitudes and Urban sprawl. They have covered the face of the North with strip malls and parking lots and need to reach out for fresh meat.
Debbie

Boston, MA

#12 Jun 12, 2006
Hi We too are moving from the cold north east. Husband is getting relocated from Mass to NC and we have narrowed it down to either Cary or HOlly Springs. We visited two weekends ago, it is very nice. As soon as our house sells here we will visit again to buy. I would love to meet other moms/families of older kids. I find lots of sites for babies and toddlers but my boys are 6, 8 and 12. We need to get educated on schools, sports and other family areas of interest. I am hoping to find a friend to spend some "girl time" with too. It will be hard to leave my friends here in Mass.
Kristy

Etobicoke, Canada

#13 Jun 19, 2006
My husband and I are also considering relocating with Cary being at the top of our list. I am a bit concerned by the posts saying that Cary is a pretentious and uncaring place to live. Is this everyone's experience? I am particularly concerned b/c we are relocating from Washington, DC and are trying desperately to escape such attitudes. Any input?

Thanks,
Kristy
Chris

Durham, NC

#14 Jun 20, 2006
I've lived in Cary for a while, don't move there, it's a place full of fake people living in overpriced homes living fake lives. Almost like living in Stepford. Small businesses hate Cary because of the hostile climate they have to deal with from City government. Cary only wants large business investment, if you are a small business, you are a nusiance and a peon to them. I would suggest Durham or Chapel Hill, the community is there is much stronger and people there are real. Case in point: try to find a community garden in Cary, there isn't any. They are all over Durham and Chapel Hill.
GUS

Wendell, NC

#15 Jun 20, 2006
I have recently moved to Cary from raleigh about a 2mos ago. I am a native north carolinian as well. I am not buying a home at this time, but I'm renting an immaculate town home at a very good price. My townhouse features a double garage and all wood floors on the lower level, has all formal areas too. It also came with full surround sound hookups as well.
I know when visiting the Lowes grocery store by me, I am met with such politeness. I felt as though I was in pleasantville(:, the employees are so helpful and always smiling. The grocery stores in Cary seem to be a little bit more pricey than the grocery stores in raleigh, because I work in the area, I do all my shoppng in raleigh.
I have not been met with snobbery from any Caryites, my neighbors are friendly as well. No problem there...however, it is not very diverse when it comes to different ethnic groups living there.
It is a growing town and the roads are under repair, so far I really like it. I hardly ever see the police, it's peaceful and clean...just like I like it!
The majority of jobs are in the RTP area, but more jobs are popping up in Raleigh and Cary. I know quite a few people who commute from all around north carolina because when it comes to IT, hardly anyone works within miles from home.
North Carolina has a lot of beautiful areas to live in, Cary is just one of'em.
WebSmith

Raleigh, NC

#16 Jun 20, 2006
Chris from Cary, NC,

Aha!!! But you are still proud to call yourself from Cary. Cary has the best public recreation facilities in RTP area. The City has great plans for new public rec areas and public trails. Go check out at http://www.townofcary.org/ and specifically at http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/progra...
PCa

United States

#17 Jun 21, 2006
Hi my husband and I are relocating to NC, but we are still debating into what city we should move to. at first we thougth about charlotte, but recently I have been researching by zip codes and found out crimes is high, then I heard about cary from cousin and news. Advice, which is better cary or charlotte. We have no kids yet, but we don't like trouble cities. My husband wants to expand his business there, and myself will be just focusing on finding a job///help!!!
Pca

United States

#18 Jun 30, 2006
Hi my husband and I are relocating to NC, but we are still debating into what city we should move to. at first we thougth about charlotte, but recently I have been researching by zip codes and found out crimes is high, then I heard about cary from cousin and news. Advice, which is better cary or charlotte. We have no kids yet, but we don't like trouble cities. My husband wants to expand his business there, and myself will be just focusing on finding a job///help!!!
Pca

United States

#19 Jul 3, 2006
Can anyone give me suggestions about non denomination churches in cary...also what will be a good choice to start a business and quiet community, not too expensive. Raleigh, cary or apex?
WTF

Tampa, FL

#20 Jul 4, 2006
Pca wrote:
Can anyone give me suggestions about non denomination churches in cary...also what will be a good choice to start a business and quiet community, not too expensive. Raleigh, cary or apex?
Non-denominational church? What's the use?
I'd just sleep in on Sundays and plan on a very fiery afterlife...
There are some really good churches in Cary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Apex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brad Cooper - Fair and Just Trial? WHO MIGHT B... (May '11) Jul 1 Help Me MiMi 1,309
Adopt a family for Christmas (Nov '08) Jul 1 Welfare mammy 97
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Jun 30 HumanSpirit 25
Moving to Durham Jun 21 amy_deng52 2
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a Jun 14 Durham delivery 1
I still love you Jun 12 AshleyBrownOgus 1
Beware Mike Luchansky (Aug '10) Jun 6 Victim also 70
More from around the web

Apex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Apex Mortgages