Victim's family endorses plea deal fo...

Victim's family endorses plea deal for Antioch chef

There are 199 comments on the Daily Herald story from Aug 16, 2011, titled Victim's family endorses plea deal for Antioch chef. In it, Daily Herald reports that:

David P. Maish, 40, of Spring Grove, has been sentenced to 18 months in jail when he is not working or going to treatment and is required to serve 30 months on probation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Herald.

Friar Tuck

Addison, IL

#82 Jun 14, 2012
TAD wrote:
<quoted text>
We ALL love eating there? Please don't include me in your comments.
Everyone has "shortcomings" and everyone has fallen short of what the Bible states.
I personally won't be investigating the backgrounds of owners and employess of those places that I frequent.However, if it's public knowledge of what this indivduals does and is still capable of doing, you can bet your life I will not frequent that establishment.
Masish can be forgiven by his maker.
I have no call on that one and thanl God I have no personal vested interest in what took place.
Its just MY personal preference to steer clear of the place and this individual. Thats what makes the world go round brothas and sistas ..!.;
Don't worry we would rather not have a stick in the mud like you eating next to us anyway.
Hungry

United States

#83 Jun 14, 2012
TAD wrote:
<quoted text>
We ALL love eating there? Please don't include me in your comments.
Everyone has "shortcomings" and everyone has fallen short of what the Bible states.
I personally won't be investigating the backgrounds of owners and employess of those places that I frequent.However, if it's public knowledge of what this indivduals does and is still capable of doing, you can bet your life I will not frequent that establishment.
Masish can be forgiven by his maker.
I have no call on that one and thanl God I have no personal vested interest in what took place.
Its just MY personal preference to steer clear of the place and this individual. Thats what makes the world go round brothas and sistas ..!.;
Romans 14:12-13

So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.
jailmaish

Arlington Heights, IL

#84 Jun 15, 2012
for all you people that are saying poor maish has done his time let him alone, you should read the article AND comments(in yahoo today) about floyd mayweather being in jail.mayweather is doing real time. maish should not be let out to run his resturant for any reason. jail is a 24-7 punishment not a punishment to appease maish's business. beating his wife(like mayweather did) his extreamly serious but killing somebody while driving drunk is worse.
Vote counter

Round Lake, IL

#85 Jun 15, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
for all you people that are saying poor maish has done his time let him alone, you should read the article AND comments(in yahoo today) about floyd mayweather being in jail.mayweather is doing real time. maish should not be let out to run his resturant for any reason. jail is a 24-7 punishment not a punishment to appease maish's business. beating his wife(like mayweather did) his extreamly serious but killing somebody while driving drunk is worse.
And the drum beat goes on, and on, and on, and on. Hatred is an awful thing.
Friar Tuck

Addison, IL

#86 Jun 15, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
You know if you spent the same time with your new wife as you spend shooting your mouth off about history you may not lose another wife. Give it a rest jerk off.
jailmaish

Arlington Heights, IL

#87 Jun 15, 2012
i really don't want to stoop to your level friar tuck but if i remember friar tuck is short, fat and bald not a good combo. short and bald you can do nothing about but fat you can start running outside on these nice days....oh wait there is a drunk pill popping texting cook still out driving on our streets. and try to remember the MAIN topic is not my life its keeping drunk murders off of our streets.
jailmaish

Arlington Heights, IL

#88 Jun 15, 2012
btw floyd mayweather is the wba super welterwaite title holder. no special privaliges.
APD supporter

Round Lake, IL

#89 Jun 15, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
btw floyd mayweather is the wba super welterwaite title holder. no special privaliges.
I think Maish needs a restraining order against you. Stop obsessing. It's really unhealthy. You have a right to your opinion but it is well past time to keep it to yourself. In case you have not noticed, you are alone in your mission. Nobody likes what happened. Almost everybody gets that the man is in fact paying a terrible price. We also get that for you, it's all about payback. Calm down. WWJD?
Friar Tuck

Addison, IL

#90 Jun 16, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
i really don't want to stoop to your level friar tuck but if i remember friar tuck is short, fat and bald not a good combo. short and bald you can do nothing about but fat you can start running outside on these nice days....oh wait there is a drunk pill popping texting cook still out driving on our streets. and try to remember the MAIN topic is not my life its keeping drunk murders off of our streets.
Text with care you may have a Friar Tuck short fat bald in your house right now as your at the library on the computer. And I might add as before you seem to be the one with "shortcommings".I could add more but im on my way to lunch , guess where.
dogon

Chicago, IL

#91 Aug 13, 2012
Having reviewed this entire thread, I think I can sum up each post to one of three positions:

1) David Maish is a bad person and therefore he should be punished more harshly for what he did.
2) David Maish is a good guy and therefore he should be punished less harshly for what he did.
3) David Maish should receive punishment based on the facts of what he did, without regard to whether he is a nice guy or a bad person.

From the personal reports I've received about Maish's behavior between the incident and his arrest, as well as his initial not-guilty plea, I don't think he had any real remorse. He expressed remorse only after his arrest. I have met him personally and I find him arrogant and self-centered; he does not conduct himself like a man struggling under the crushing weight of guilt. He still has the Hummer he was driving that night, and he has plastered it with pictures of his smiling face and uses it for a catering vehicle. If I were wrestling with guilt about killing a man with a car, I wouldn't want to keep the car, much less turn it into a personal advertisement. These are not the actions of a guy who knows he's made a tragic mistake; they're the actions of an egotist bordering on sociopathy.

So you'd probably think I'd be in with the Group 1 people who think he is a bad person, except that I don't think it should affect his punishment. Regardless of what I think of him personally, he is entitled to be judged impartially, and that means I would pick Group 3 above. His personal character is irrelevant except insofar as it directly led to his offense, which would be hard to establish. You could make a strong case that he's a big jerk based on a lot of these reports, and on jailmaish's experience, but he was not on trial for being a jerk; he was on trial for a specific criminal act and his punishment should be based on that - no extra punishment for his other failings as a human being, but also no going easy because he is a "nice guy" or a "family man." Those things are also not relevant to his culpability.

Personally I don't understand most of you guys who seem to think he should be let off easy when he's clearly guilty, just because he's a "nice guy," and I also don't understand the rest of you who want his whole life to be on trial so that he can get extra punishment for other transgressions in the past. Jailmaish, I sympathize with you, and I agree that his actions with your wife are revealing of his character, but you are undermining your own point by continuing to insist he deserves the book thrown at him because of it. But I especially don't understand those of you who are actively promoting his restaurant and career. I think the "big jerk" evidence here clearly outweighs the "nice guy" evidence, and why would you want to give your money to a grinning jerk, let alone a grinning killer?

My personal feeling is that he got off too easily. If I ran over a man while drunk, high, and texting, I'd expect to go to prison - meaning full-time jail, not just bunking there when I'm not at work or in counseling - and I'd expect to be there a good long time, no matter how nice I was to children and stray kittens beforehand. I still can't decide whether the victim's family are the most forgiving people on the planet, or if they have just been taken in by cynical manipulativeness. But I don't get the impression that justice was done.
Truth

Antioch, IL

#92 Aug 13, 2012
My personal feeling is that he received a sentence within the guidelines of sentencing for his crime. Pretty simple really, and I can say it in less than three sentences. The victims family supported it, the rest of you need to move on.
dogon

Chicago, IL

#93 Aug 14, 2012
Truth wrote:
The victims family supported it, the rest of you need to move on.
Actually that brings up another thing I don't understand. What bearing does the victim's family's opinion have on his culpability or punishment? If they wanted him burned at the stake, should the court have considered that option? What if they'd wanted him simply let go?
Hungry

Antioch, IL

#94 Aug 14, 2012
On my way to the Bistro for lunch! Can't wait.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#95 Aug 14, 2012
Prosecuting attorneys usually consult with the family to understand their wishes. They take this into account along with many other factors when it comes time to request a sentence. The family was satisfied with the punishment, to me that's all that matters.
jailmaish

Arlington Heights, IL

#96 Sep 9, 2012
dogon nailed it! another observation,grinning jerk,grinning killer. maish/drew peterson both act the same way, both killed somebody.how about the same punishment for maish as peterson? this is all about his actions the night he killed Jimmy,not about the past. For all those people still using his resturant/catering buisness maybe they don't know of any other places in the area that are better than his place(and i bet there are a lot). So would everybody please list these buisnesses so we can be rid of this grinning jerk, killer forever.
Sorry for you too

Round Lake, IL

#97 Sep 9, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
dogon nailed it! another observation,grinning jerk,grinning killer. maish/drew peterson both act the same way, both killed somebody.how about the same punishment for maish as peterson? this is all about his actions the night he killed Jimmy,not about the past. For all those people still using his resturant/catering buisness maybe they don't know of any other places in the area that are better than his place(and i bet there are a lot). So would everybody please list these buisnesses so we can be rid of this grinning jerk, killer forever.
Get some help with this psychosis. We know you hate him. We know all the reasons including your personal heartbreak on an issue unrelated to his conviction. We feel badly for the deceased, for you, and even for him. PLEASE get some help so you can get beyond the issues.
MoveOn

Antioch, IL

#98 Sep 9, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
If you think Dogon nailed it, you should read it thru again since a lot of it concerns your personal vendetta. Move on.
Lightning strikes twice

Crystal Lake, IL

#99 Sep 9, 2012
jailmaish wrote:
Now don't tell me that Peterson was banging your wife too ?
Hungry Again

Antioch, IL

#100 Sep 10, 2012
Heading back to the Bistro this week. Thanks for bringing this post back to the top jailmaisch. Your obsession just reminded me it's been awhile since I have been there.

Romans 14:12-13

So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother
jailmaish

Arlington Heights, IL

#101 Sep 14, 2012
i really don't know who my EX is doing. but i don't think it is peterson mostly because she is still alive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fox Lake hopes poetry slam ignites cultural mov... Apr 27 Skippy 1
News 3 men detained in Gliniewicz investigation file... Apr 27 Jilly 1
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Apr 26 Lindalori 158
Twisters Elite - Delete (Jul '09) Apr 26 Old Timer 33
Camera at 173 and 83 Apr 24 Old Timer 14
home choice stores (Aug '09) Apr 23 RcC 32
IH Rent -- Invitation Homes Rentals (Feb '14) Apr 23 Faith 58

Antioch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance