Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-S...

Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

There are 52083 comments on the CBS2 story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions. In it, CBS2 reports that:

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS2.

fizzy

Saint Louis, MO

#8149 Feb 18, 2011
Holy reality batman, Most people think the bible is VERY relevant.
Hold please wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You have based your views about your friend's Orientation on a book that has proven to be irrelevant to modern Society.
2. Respect is earned, period.

“Really? Really?”

Since: Apr 08

G'View

#8150 Feb 18, 2011
freeindeed wrote:
by Gary C. Burger, MDiv
Truth: Science can neither prove or disprove the existence of God, only how reasonable it is to believe.
Some people say, Science has proved that God does not exist. I ask them, What scientist using what scientific experiment proved that God does not exist? Of course, they can't tell me because there isn?t one. We simply can't devise an experiment or a measuring instrument to observe God or see that there is no God out there. I have a deep respect for the scientific process and an awe over what has been discovered and accomplished. However, the above assertion is laughable, in that the way science "progresses" is by replacing one theory for a new one. Pick up any science oriented publication from popular to academic and notice how often the authors say something like, "this new finding disproves/challenges/stands on its head/etc our previous theory that..." With this in mind, why should we trust any scientific statement about God?
Unfortunately, most people and even many scientists incorrectly assume that science is able to prove things with 100% certainty. But that is not the case. Thomas Kuhn wrote a book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions which has become required reading for many science students in their doctoral programs. He wrote,
Few philosophers of science still seek absolute criteria for the verification of scientific theories. Noting that no theory can ever be exposed to all possible relevant tests, they ask not whether a theory has been verified but rather about its probability in the light of the evidence that actually exists.
Since scientists are not able to have 100% certainty they must accept their conclusions by faith. We hope that they have good reasons to believe their conclusions but ultimately it is an act of faith. In a similar way, it is not possible to use science to prove or disprove God’s existence. We can only use it to gather evidence and ask,“Is it more reasonable to that God does exist, or that God doesn't exist?"
http://www.newmediaministries.org/Science/Has...
There is a way to prove it, but, conveniently, there are "laws" against putting God to the test.
Sorry nerds

Midlothian, IL

#8151 Feb 18, 2011
It,s over it,s all over come on nerds K Mart has lives on sale this weekend Go get one!
fizzy

Saint Louis, MO

#8152 Feb 18, 2011
If you cannot add anything to the conversation then YOU go to the blue light special, buy a pie hole and shut it!!!
Sorry nerds wrote:
It,s over it,s all over come on nerds K Mart has lives on sale this weekend Go get one!

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8153 Feb 18, 2011
freeindeed wrote:
I wouldn't believe science, because my belief is based on faith.
So wait, if it were PROVEN that God did not exist, you'd still go on Believing?
I'm not surprised, since this is the problem with most of the Devout - your inability to accept things as fact because you find it inconvenient.

You asked if Science proved there was a God, would I accept it?
I would have to. If there were irrefutable evidence of the existence of a Higher Being, then I would have to sigh, shrug my shoulders and say, "Well, there's the proof I've been asking for."

But clearly you're not that strong or that mature. And why?

Because you'd have to accept that your Faith has been misplaced? Because you'd no longer have an excuse for perpetuating stereotypes and preaching hatred and bigotry? Because you'd actually have to accept people for who they are, rather than judge them according to some arbitrary standards?
freeindeed wrote:
You say that you would be forced to believe that God exist if it was proven by science. But yet, you do not believe that Goes exist, and science hasn't proven that either.
But no one has proven that He DOES. And, as many of the Faithful are wont to point out, one cannot prove a negative. You cannot prove God DOESN'T exist, only that He does. And no one has, which is the basis of Faith - the acceptance of something as true without fact, evidence or proof. It's also a game where the rules favor only one of the players.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8154 Feb 18, 2011
Sodomyisamentaldisorder wrote:
Read post #7326 and explain how all these are compelling interest of the state.
Higher rate of drug use.- There is no reputable research that supports this claim.
Higher rate of infectious diseases - all research shows the reverse to be true.
Higher rate of psychiatric problems - there is research that suggests that Homosexuals are more prone to admit when there's a problem and seek treatment.
Higher rate of violent behavior - there is no research which supports this claim. As a matter of fact, the highest rates of violent behavior are among Heterosexual males.
Higher rate of infecting children with infectious diseases - this is just a bold-faced lie, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even posting it.
Higher rate of promoting pedophilia - the only people who "promote" Pedophilia are pedophiles. And if you're a pedophile, you're just that. Heterosexual=attracted to opposite gender, Homosexual=attracted to same gender, pedophile=attracted to children.

And regardless, all of these traits are common to one group overall - SINGLE people. Research has shown that marriage leads to less incidences of ALL these behaviors (with the exception of pedophilia, because, once again, a pedophile is a pedophile). So legally recognizing Same-Sex Marriage would most likely cause a reduction in these numbers, hence being a benefit to Society.
SIAMD wrote:
I know what you will do just discredit all the facts and pretend they don't exist.
You've never presented a fact the whole time you've been here, so how do you know what will happen?
SIAMD wrote:
Marriage is not a constitutional right if it was why do you need a marriage license?
This isn't about whether or not you need a license to get married, it's about who's being permitted to apply for such licenses.
And the reason you need a license is to make sure that adults aren't marrying children or brothers aren't marrying sisters.
And while marriage itself isn't a "Constitutional Right", people are protected by the Constitution to enjoy equal representation under the law. Denying two people who are of legal age and are unrelated the ability to marry violates this protection.
SIAMD wrote:
Do you need a license for free speech? Do you need a license to worship the religion of your choice?
No, but apparently you need a Constitutional Amendment. Remember, to many people these aren't inherent rights, and without the 1st Amendment, these people would immediately put forth legislation to remove these rights.
SIAMD wrote:
Do you need a license to own a firearm?
I know you do in Illinois.
SIAMD wrote:
Do you need a license to vote?
No, but not just anyone can vote - you have to be a legal, U.S. Citizen, 18 years or older.
SIAMD wrote:
Do you need a license to not be slave?
Once again, in this country it required a Constitutional Amendment.
SIAMD wrote:
These are all rights and no license is required because they are rights. Marriage requires a license by the state because it is not a right and is something that can be denied to an individual for reasons specified by the state recieving the application for a marriage license.
This is true, no one is denying this. What we're taking issue with is the fact that there's no reason to deny a license to a couple who are not related and are of the Age of Consent, simply because they're of the same gender.
This is where you have failed - you cannot provide a solid, logical and irrefutable reason that these laws should not be changed to allow for the legal recognition of Same-Sex Marriage. Oh sure, you dance around the subject and paint grand, outrageous scenarios or quote passages from Scripture (which, as I've said time and again, are nothing more than personal opinion), but you've never actually given an ANSWER.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8155 Feb 18, 2011
<quoted text>
I have made it you just refuse to accept it because of your intolerance, the kind that homosexuality breeds, which is all they can breed.
Oh really? I must have missed it. Would you be so kind as to post it again?

Unless it's that biased, unsubstantiated drivel you pulled from Christian Conservative magazines and websites that are based on questionable research methods and skewed results.

People refuse to accept it because it's just INCORRECT.
Seymore

Chicago, IL

#8158 Feb 18, 2011
Hold please wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant.
No, you are irerelevent because all of your rants have continued to prove nothing except you are an arrogant genitalia.
Seymore

Chicago, IL

#8160 Feb 18, 2011
Hold please wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really? I must have missed it. Would you be so kind as to post it again?
Unless it's that biased, unsubstantiated drivel you pulled from Christian Conservative magazines and websites that are based on questionable research methods and skewed results.
People refuse to accept it because it's just INCORRECT.
Christianity is a wyhole lot bigger then your sicko perversion agenda, pal. You are pissing up a rope.

Like I say, you a cold, spiritualess, souless, arrogant loser.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Since: Nov 10

Antioch, IL

#8162 Feb 18, 2011
The writers of the Old Testament are not the ones that had Christ crucified. I don't know where you got this.
You, for one, in your little rant against Rabbis earlier.
keepitreal1

United States

#8163 Feb 18, 2011
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, there is not a thing in the passage that speaks against gay folks.
Sexual impurity=homosexuality

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8164 Feb 18, 2011
freeindeed wrote:
ACLU is the only one who had the guts to say that he would be forced to believe if science had proof.
Your sarcasm describes how much of a coward you really are.
That wasn't sarcasm, that was an honest question. What if God were proven to exist, but it's wasn't the one to whom you pray? What if it were proven that there weren't just one God, but several, as in the Hindu Tradition? What if it were proven that,*gasp* Allah is the one, true God? What would you do then?
freeindeed wrote:
You're afraid to admit that there may be a power greater than yourself. Maybe it makes you feel that you are in control. You're afraid to believe in something you can't see. You're afraid that you'll lose control over your life. Guess what? You have no control rather you believe or not. You're going to die one day, and I bet the farm that's what you're most afraid of. Because you don't know where you'll end up. You can talk all the crap you want. You are as scared as a lamb.
I don't think that it's spectrm who's afraid. I think it's you. Because, as I stated before, if there's even the possibility of the existence of a God, then as far as you're concerned, there's something to back up your bigotry, ignorance and sanctimony. Without God, you'd have to accept people for who they are, and your safety net would drop away, leaving you defenseless against those who would call you out for your ignorance and hatred.

No, it is the Devout who are afraid, for you have not learned to think for yourself, and without God, Religion and Faith, you would be lost. It is YOU who think that through Faith you have control over your life, for as long as God is there to hear your prayers, you feel you have a say in what happens to you.

News flash - most Atheist, Agnostic and Secular people already KNOW that we don't have control over our lives and have come to accept that fact. And when something happens that we find negative, we know that there are only two choices for why it happened: it's either my fault, or the other person's fault. And the Devout can't stand that, because the one thing they fear more than anything is placing the blame on themselves.

Have you ever noticed how a Devout person of Faith never blames themselves for the good or the bad? If something bad happens, then the Devil made it happen. If something good happens it's God's divine intervention. The Secular don't have such views. They know that "good" and "bad" things happen because of the inter-workings of many factors.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8165 Feb 18, 2011
EVERYTHING you've said here is completely incorrect. And I'm not just saying your dates and numbers are slightly off, I'm saying that it's 180 degrees wrong.
Rodie520 wrote:
Its ridiculous how gays try to brainwash the public into thinking that their lifestyle is normal and civilized
The only brainwashing is that which is done by the Church. I was watching a special on cults the other day and I was amazed and how the tactics used by the cult leader are the same ones used by the Clergy and Devout followers of a Faith.
Rodie520 wrote:
but everytime they get together for a parade they're all naked making out with each other like uncivilized animals. Its completely laughable. That just displays the predatory nature of homosexuality which is to defile and throw their lewdness in your face.
Or maybe it's just a party, which is a time for lewdness and outrageous behavior. I see you've neglected to mention the parades during Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day. What about the lewd behavior people seem to be allowed to pursue on Valentine's Day?
And, really, which is worse - being naked and making out or violence and killing?
Rodie520 wrote:
That just displays the predatory nature of homosexuality which is to defile and throw their lewdness in your face.
And one could argue that Religion is guilty of the same predatory nature, preying on those who are confused and unsure, promising them answers and salvation, but then providing nothing but ignorance, bigotry, shame and persecution.
Rodie520 wrote:
Homosexuality has long been considered a disorder but before u can learn that fact, they tell you that you have a problem and call you a homophobe .
Homosexuality WAS considered a disorder, but it hasn't been viewed that way in over half a century. The fact that you think that Homosexuality is STILL classified as a disorder proves you're a homophobe.
Rodie520 wrote:
(Homophobia isn't an actual condition by the way that's just what they call people who naturally don't like homosexuality and speak their mind about it-- which is most of the world).
That's right, Homophobia isn't a clinical disorder in and of itself, but it does have a definition:
homophobia
ho·mo·pho·bi·a
–noun
unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality

and a severity scale:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060904125724/htt...
Rodie520 wrote:
Why does it matter ? Because the foundation of our society is God, then the family.
No, the foundation of our Society is freedom, period. Without freedom, your Faith in God doesn't matter.
Rodie520 wrote:
If you destroy the definition of marriage and family society crumbles this has always been the case.
Really? Show me where. Cite three examples of this occurring.
Rodie520 wrote:
When the gay lifestyle is accepted it opens the door for ...you got it , legal pedophilia, beastiality, and all kinds of unspeakable acts. That's a historical FACT.
Is it now? Once again, cite three examples.
Rodie520 wrote:
San Fran is a modern monument to that fact. That city involves itself in far more sexually abnormal activities than just homosexuality.
Here's an actual fact for you - "sexually abnormal" activities are equally practiced worldwide. Of course, I'm not sure what you mean by "sexually abnormal activities".

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8166 Feb 18, 2011
Seymore wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is a wyhole lot bigger then your sicko perversion agenda, pal. You are pissing up a rope.
Like I say, you a cold, spiritualess, souless, arrogant loser.
And like I say, your Faith is Irrelevant to this discussion.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8167 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexual impurity=homosexuality
What about fornication?
Oral sex?
Anal sex?
Masturbation?
Adultery?

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8168 Feb 18, 2011
fizzy wrote:
Holy reality batman, Most people think the bible is VERY relevant.
Not in this case. We're talking about LEGAL recognition of Same-Sex Marriage. Scripture has no place here.

Oh some people think it does, but it doesn't. Your Faith is your opinion. And we're not interested in opinions, we're interested in facts.
siumom

Kelseyville, CA

#8169 Feb 18, 2011
Christianity was the religion of the founders of this country..Iknow I know indians were the first settlers. The basic principles of our founding fathers were christian principles and as such, are the foundation of our legal system. Our money has.. In God we trust on it, Our Pledge of Allegiance has God in it.
young at heart

Marion, IL

#8170 Feb 18, 2011
Yes, our money has In God we trust and boy the ones that don't want to believe he is the FINAL say sure will spend the money.....

“We'll just two weeks it...”

Since: Oct 10

Burbs of Chi-Town

#8172 Feb 18, 2011
siumom wrote:
Christianity was the religion of the founders of this country
Thomas Jefferson - atheist
George Washington - deist
Benjamin Franklin - Unitarian
James Madison - atheist
John Adams - agnostic

want me to keep going?
siumom wrote:
..Iknow I know indians were the first settlers.
And we slaughtered them something fierce, eh?
siumom wrote:
The basic principles of our founding fathers were christian principles
No they weren't. This is a lie propagated by religionists. The US was born out of the enlightenment and the french and english writings on ethics and liberty from a secular stand point. This is, as a definitive piece of it's character, a secular democracy.
siumom wrote:
and as such, are the foundation of our legal system.
British Common Law is the foundation for our legal system
siumom wrote:
Our money has.. In God we trust on it,
Added in the 1960s to combat 'godless communism'
siumom wrote:
Our Pledge of Allegiance has God in it.
Added in the 1950s to combat 'godless communism'

Maybe you need to take some more history classes at SIU...

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#8173 Feb 18, 2011
When, and why, was "In God We Trust" added to our currency and made our national motto, it certainly wasn't the founders of our country that did that. When and why was "under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance? It wasn't in the original version, which happened to be written by a Baptist minister in 1892.

The foundation of our legal system, the Constitution is based on Enlightenment Principles primarily, not on "christian principles".
siumom wrote:
Christianity was the religion of the founders of this country..Iknow I know indians were the first settlers. The basic principles of our founding fathers were christian principles and as such, are the foundation of our legal system. Our money has.. In God we trust on it, Our Pledge of Allegiance has God in it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fox Lake hopes poetry slam ignites cultural mov... Apr 27 Skippy 1
News 3 men detained in Gliniewicz investigation file... Apr 27 Jilly 1
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Apr 26 Lindalori 158
Twisters Elite - Delete (Jul '09) Apr 26 Old Timer 33
Camera at 173 and 83 Apr 24 Old Timer 14
home choice stores (Aug '09) Apr 23 RcC 32
IH Rent -- Invitation Homes Rentals (Feb '14) Apr 23 Faith 58

Antioch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance