Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-S...

Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

There are 52077 comments on the CBS2 story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions. In it, CBS2 reports that:

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS2.

Sodomyisamentald isorder

Oklahoma City, OK

#8128 Feb 18, 2011
ACLU-Tom wrote:
There are legitimate differences of opinion on what the bible says about homosexuality, after all it's been translated, and mistranslated for over a thousand years now, and in the case of Leviticus, the original Hebrew does not support the anti-gay translations of the book.
So yes, a person can be both gay and Christian, you don't get to dictate that they can't.
<quoted text>
It is not me that determines this. It is the teachings of Christianity and the inspired word of God, the Bible that does.

There is another verse that states everyone did that which was right in their own eyes. They went against the teachings of the inspired word of God and were judged.
fizzy

Saint Louis, MO

#8129 Feb 18, 2011
You can read/translate Hebrew.
I am very impressed.
ACLU-Tom wrote:
There are legitimate differences of opinion on what the bible says about homosexuality, after all it's been translated, and mistranslated for over a thousand years now, and in the case of Leviticus, the original Hebrew does not support the anti-gay translations of the book.
So yes, a person can be both gay and Christian, you don't get to dictate that they can't.
<quoted text>

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#8130 Feb 18, 2011
No, but there are trusted people here who can.
fizzy wrote:
You can read/translate Hebrew.
I am very impressed.
<quoted text>
fizzy

Saint Louis, MO

#8131 Feb 18, 2011
So some translations were done by non-trustworthy people?
ACLU-Tom wrote:
No, but there are trusted people here who can.
<quoted text>
Sodomyisamentald isorder

Oklahoma City, OK

#8132 Feb 18, 2011
ACLU-Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

This seems pretty clear when a man lies with another man as they lay with women it is an abomination. So no you cannot be a homosexual and follow the teachings of the Bible.

Read it in Hebrew it says the same thing.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Since: Nov 10

Antioch, IL

#8133 Feb 18, 2011
Sodomyisamentaldisorder wrote:
So do you think a teacher should cover creation to the same extent as evolution? They are both considered theories?
They are not both theories.

Creationism is a belief based on the words of the Bible. Those who believe in creationism cannot provide empirical evidence, nor do they need evidence to believe.

Evolution is a theory based on empirical scientific evidence. Those who understand what it means to be scientific theory understand that this is best possible scientific explanation.

I personally believe that God reveals His mysteries through continued use of our brains via scientific study and that the story told in the Bible was inspired by God, but limited by Man's very basic understanding of science. What we understand of evolution now is getting closer to how a complex being like God would actually set things in motion. Snapping one's fingers to create Adam & Eve is just primitive parlor tricks similar to Greek mythology and other "pagan" explanations before it. But setting in motion the Big Bang to create a universe of evolving life sounds much more on par with what an omniscient God could accomplish.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8134 Feb 18, 2011
If you read you Bible you will find it was the Rabbis that crucified Christ.
Many Rabbis in Israel today don't teach what the Bible says they base their teachings on what Sages have passed down over the years.
They even get offended when you point out from thier own teachings prophecy about Christ, who he was, where he would be born etc.
So, if you are going to discount those who crucified Christ, the writers of the Old Testament. And you are going to deify Jesus and hold to His word as the Truth, then where in the Bible did Jesus condemn homosexuality.

You seem to want it both ways. Discount the OT and hold Jesus on high. But then you ignore His teachings to fit your own prejudices.
crazy cooter

Union, IL

#8135 Feb 18, 2011
It is senseless to argue the bible.Only god can show the real truth to anyone.Normalcy is what i choose to teach my children,that man was created for the women and visa versa.This is just a sign of the times,people will believe a lie and be damned.In other words its called a reprobate mind.I will not ever believe one is born gay,nor will i teach my children this lie.We have a free will to either follow truth or not.
Have a nice time trying to convince yourselves,but it is a lost cause.
Mystery Man

West Chicago, IL

#8136 Feb 18, 2011
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if you are going to discount those who crucified Christ, the writers of the Old Testament. And you are going to deify Jesus and hold to His word as the Truth, then where in the Bible did Jesus condemn homosexuality.
You seem to want it both ways. Discount the OT and hold Jesus on high. But then you ignore His teachings to fit your own prejudices.
Matthew 5:17-18
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8137 Feb 18, 2011
If you read you Bible you will find it was the Rabbis that crucified Christ.
Many Rabbis in Israel today don't teach what the Bible says they base their teachings on what Sages have passed down over the years.
They even get offended when you point out from thier own teachings prophecy about Christ, who he was, where he would be born etc.
You have an excuse why everybody else's religious beliefs are wrong. Weren't you the one trying to use the old chestnut "If everyone else is crazy/wrong..."

I think we all know the answer to this one by now.
Sodomyisamentald isorder

Oklahoma City, OK

#8138 Feb 18, 2011
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
The writers of the Old Testament are not the ones that had Christ crucified. I don't know where you got this or if you are just throwing a red herring out here.

Christ taught the same things as the OT did. There are many instances he referred back to the OT law in his teachings.

In Christ own sermon on the mount he stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Christ did not come to earth to do away with the law but to fulfil it.

I do not discount the old testament it is the inspired word of God just like the new testament. God's word does not change just because his only begotten son came to earth.

Christ it God's only begotten son and he came to do the will of his Father, going against the teachings of God would not be doing the will of God his Father.

“We'll just two weeks it...”

Since: Oct 10

Burbs of Chi-Town

#8139 Feb 18, 2011
<quoted text>
You are wrong it was not for inhospitality.
You are also wrong in thinking you have ato review the original Hebrew for understanding.
Your last point is correct, they were not destroyed for homosexuality.
So many here think they know what the Bible actually says but all they know are talking points that come from others that don't know the Bible. This is the reason I posed this question. The homosexual supports try rebutting a non-homosexual support with the Bible when the other uses a Bible reference. They pretend like they know what they are talking about but all they do is google a phrase or attended church years ago and then think they are theologians.
Some just through out every verse they can find hoping one of them is correct.
Don't kid yourself into thinking that just because you can make an argument for your case that it's correct or that it matters. A few things real quick:

1) that's what the original hebrew says, and granted,'inhospitality' is a weak reason to kill a whole village. I see it much more as Islam's Moe saw fit to destroy cities that didn't welcome his preachments. The same with the Hebrews. They likely went to places attempting to convert and were turned away. Yes, this is conjecture, but so is your answer. To me, mine seems more reasonable and fits with what I know of human psychology, the climate of society at the time, the history of mankind, etc.

2) the original hebrew is VITAL to understanding the Bible...how can you possibly say it's not? Do you accept the mistakes, misspellings and mistranslations as 'divine guidance' as well? If so, why did the direction change? Did god change his mind and therefore need to change the record?

3a) I don't simply presume the text I google for to be it - out of context or otherwise. I always bear in mind context, but, as biblical scholars like to claim so often when raised with the same accusation (of taking a quote out of context), some quotes epitomize a whole chapter, set of verses, whathaveyou succinctly enough that the context should be apparent from the single verse quoted. In cases where it isn't, I've always given descriptions of what was going on before citing the verse.

3b) Furthermore, any foray I take into Biblical interpretation will have no bearing on the correctness of your position. Even if you *DO* demonstrate your point about the Bible, all it proves is you had a more accurate interpretation of that story - not that homosexuality is actually wrong. I go into Biblical interpretation with your type as a courtesy (after all, it's words have no bearing on my life) and in an attempt to reason with you on your own axioms.

4) Any interpretation of the Bible should not be considered for law or governance of people in a public square. Everyone has a different interpretation and, with no metric for 'rightness' regarding religious views, we can't base the structure of society based upon it. It would be inconveniencing too many people who simply don't share those particular beliefs. The alternatives are:
1) pick one and base all laws on it
2) take all and implement whatever laws each independent group lobbies for
3) take none and implement laws based on what can be proven about the impact of those laws on society and the veracity of their evidenciary support
Are you saying you would really choose (1)? And what about in 20 years when Muslims breed out Christians? As the new majority in a democratic nation, shouldn't US law then be based upon Islamic law?
siumom

Kelseyville, CA

#8140 Feb 18, 2011
crazy cooter wrote:
It is senseless to argue the bible.Only god can show the real truth to anyone.Normalcy is what i choose to teach my children,that man was created for the women and visa versa.This is just a sign of the times,people will believe a lie and be damned.In other words its called a reprobate mind.I will not ever believe one is born gay,nor will i teach my children this lie.We have a free will to either follow truth or not.
I agree this is senseless to argue the bible. Only God can show you the real truth, and only God will be the judge

“We'll just two weeks it...”

Since: Oct 10

Burbs of Chi-Town

#8141 Feb 18, 2011
crazy cooter wrote:
You can't call something a lie when it's a fact. You, then, are the only one lying. You are choosing not to follow truth.
Seymore

Chicago, IL

#8142 Feb 18, 2011
ACLU-Tom wrote:
Would you care to back this up? My figures came right from The Barna Group, a firm that is highly respected for its research, studies and surveys where religion is concerned.
<quoted text>
This is a guess at best. And they can call themselves whetever they please. As the other guy said, you cannot be a Christian and gay at the same time because the Christian bible condemns it. I can call myself a billionaire. doesn't mean I am.

As I said, you guys make up your own rules and think they count. They don't.

“Really? Really?”

Since: Apr 08

G'View

#8144 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
The male organ is built by God to give into the female organ, built for that purpose. To engage in otherwise is an affront to God. Positive is made to repel positive and negative is made to repel negative. This is science. Do you know what magnetism is? How does light work? How do our charged surroundings work? Our very world works on the principle that male and male repel. Female and female repel. Male and female attract. Even the electricity in your house makes mention that the male prong plugs into the female outlet. In all of nature, positive repels positive and negative repels negative, but the opposites attract…except when it comes to homosexuals. Why is this? Rebellion!
Homosexuality is not natural, and it deviates from God's obvious design. If the laws of nature started mimicking homosexuality, and positives were attracted to positives, the entire universe would collapse! I’m showing you that male and female is a concept that permeates everything we are, even to the way charged particles operate! It is the Law, established by the all-knowing Lawgiver. If you want proof that there is a God, then seek Him, He will make Himself known. No one can do it for you. You have to have a desire to know Him for yourself. If you don't seek Him, than you will never know Him.
Irrelevant.
Seymore

Chicago, IL

#8145 Feb 18, 2011
spectrm wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't call something a lie when it's a fact. You, then, are the only one lying. You are choosing not to follow truth.
Crazy cooter is telling the truth. He chooses to follow the bible. You are following an erection.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8146 Feb 18, 2011
siumom wrote:
You can say all you want about the Bible,The fact is, it's the inspiring words of God. It has survived through floods, fire, and many wars, and it still stands. I don't understand why people are so afraid and against the bible. It is here to guide us and help us all through difficult times. If you are not a believer in the bible, then ok that's your right. I'm not here to force my beliefs.All i'm trying to say is, please don't cut the bible down, and fight over it's teachings, My bible says he loves us ALL, no matter what. Laws are going to be passed, some we like and others we won't like. But, When it comes to people no matter what beliefs they have, we need to be teaching our kids RESPECT. Respect of other human beings. I am a christian and I have a good friend who happens to be gay. He knows I don't agree with it. However, we have agreed to disagree, and we will always be good friends.
1. You have based your views about your friend's Orientation on a book that has proven to be irrelevant to modern Society.
2. Respect is earned, period.

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#8147 Feb 18, 2011
Since I know many gay Christians, who are far more christ-like than many here that claim to be Christian, I know for a fact that you're wrong. People can be gay and Christian.
Seymore wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a guess at best. And they can call themselves whetever they please. As the other guy said, you cannot be a Christian and gay at the same time because the Christian bible condemns it. I can call myself a billionaire. doesn't mean I am.
As I said, you guys make up your own rules and think they count. They don't.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#8148 Feb 18, 2011
Tom Cruise wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were the son of Satan, would I be born good or evil?
If I were born evil, then your premise is false.
Also, your premise assumes everyone is born with a blank slate.
This argument is irrelevant. It doesn't use facts, but rather it attempts to use mythology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristin Kopterski 10 hr Obsession 27
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Mon Mike Seremak 141
Shutdown Grimm road! (Jul '15) Sep 24 TWEETY 33
News One year later, officials stunned by 'betrayal'... Sep 23 deputy dogg 2
Local Politics Do you approve of Bonnie Thomson Carter as Coun... (Mar '14) Sep 23 Jimbo 3
News Pension question in officera s staged suicide i... Sep 23 Mr Earl 1
News Fox Lake hit hard by thunderstorm Sep 23 Mr Earl 1

Antioch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Antioch Mortgages