Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-S...

Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

There are 52089 comments on the CBS2 story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions. In it, CBS2 reports that:

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS2.

young at heart

Ashburn, VA

#8087 Feb 17, 2011
Live and let live, If it feels right, do it, my life and body, I can do what ever I want. Go ahead and will see you standing before God at judgement day. Boy, are you in for a surprise!!!!!
george

UK

#8089 Feb 17, 2011
I didn't think it a good idea
greek tragedy

Chicago, IL

#8090 Feb 17, 2011
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this:'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this:'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." (NIV, Mark 12:28-31).
perfect thank you
but do tell.
how is engaging in activity in which God abhors
loving the Lord your God?
greek tragedy

Chicago, IL

#8091 Feb 17, 2011
why is it that you think Christians hate you for pointing this out?
greek tragedy

Chicago, IL

#8092 Feb 18, 2011
spectrm wrote:
<quoted text>
Objection 1: relevance...how is this relevant at all to the subject of gay marriage?
Objection 2: you really are obsessed with homosexual sex, aren't you?
because by legalizing same sex unions, anal intercourse is consdidered legally acceptable.
as it is written, God abhors this act.

“"Swift Boats R 4 Water Skiing"”

Since: Mar 09

"Equality" = Constitution"

#8093 Feb 18, 2011
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I truly believe it's a sign of your low IQ....JIMHO;0)
Gee deb,just how long do you think he's been living on fantasy island? And do you think he met Tattoo or Mr. Roarke yet? He just doesn't have any idea of exactly what SECULAR means! The Constitution is the one bible for ALL Americans and it will always trump the bible in at least this country! So,either a sign of a low IQ or mom dropped him on his head as a baby! Lets take a look at just what the founding fathers thought about organized religion! But the sad and pathetic thing is he will still deny it!
America founded on Christianity/organized religion? The answer is a resounding NO!
http://www.freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfat...
Hope you're well my dear? ;)
greek tragedy

Chicago, IL

#8094 Feb 18, 2011
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I guess sadly mistaken is really the best you got. Actually, most Lesbians and Gays are very spiritual for whom religion plays a significant role in their lives ( http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/13-... ). But unlike you, they are not attempting to force their religious beliefs onto you. What any given "god" has to say on any given subject may be relevant to our lives, our homes and our places of worship, but we are talking about an individual's rights in the public square and if there is no intrusion being made to your life, your home or your place of worship, what your "god" has to say about it is pretty limited, because he's clearly not the only one in the room now. When you get right down to it, people like you are denying freedom of religion by not permitting the places of worship which have been blessing marriages by same sex couples for, in some instances, decades now, their right to have their faith's marriages legally recognized.
you dont know the true God because you have followed your desires to the point of no return perversion.

the continued erosion of morality in this country, and an absence of a fear of God...
this law gives a license for any man who so easily and mindlessly offends God with anal sex, and affords the queer to say to future generations that this is acceptable?
as we turn our collective backs on God, so will God to us.

it is unfortunate that the God fearing gays are lumped in with those commiting the act of sodomy.
SODOMY which god abhors from any of his children, regardless of sexual orientation.
keepitreal1

United States

#8095 Feb 18, 2011
spectrm wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet quarks attract with higher energies the further you split them and have the least attractive energy the closer they are - and they're both quarks. Male and Female are only reproductive mechanisms in about 5% of the species on this planet. Gravity drags all matter of any type together. Magnetism attracts metals of all various kinds. Black holes drag in everything - even light and radiation.
And since when are electrical plugs and outlets a part of nature?
Seriously - this post of yours is the single most ill-informed rant about science I've ever read. You need to go back to the third grade.
The truth is that electricity has always been around because it naturally exists in the world. Lightning, for instance, is simply a flow of electrons between the ground and the clouds. Hence, electrical equipment like motors, light bulbs, and batteries aren't needed for electricity to exist. They are just creative inventions designed to harness and use electricity.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8096 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1:18-25
“The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them … men are without excuse … their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools … Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie”.
Um...yeah. I could see why you would post this in response to my comment regarding your lack of scientific knowledge.

Seriously, are you high?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8097 Feb 18, 2011
greek tragedy wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont know the true God because you have followed your desires to the point of no return perversion.
the continued erosion of morality in this country, and an absence of a fear of God...
this law gives a license for any man who so easily and mindlessly offends God with anal sex, and affords the queer to say to future generations that this is acceptable?
it is unfortunate that the God fearing gays are lumped in with those commiting the act of sodomy.
SODOMY which god abhors from any of his children, regardless of sexual orientation.
"Sodomy" from the story of Sodom itself, seems to be about treating strangers badly, inhospitality, and possibly a group of angry straight townsfolk wanting to rape angels to feminize them and put them in "their place".

Such things still happen today, and it's not usually the gay peeple who perpetrate such things. They are more often the victems.

If the men of Sodom were supposedly a ravening herd of gay men, why in the world would Lot have hoped that throwing his virgin DAUGHTERS to the crowd to be raped would stop the violence against the stranegrs? Use a little logic.

I've read the story, and there isn't a single mention of any sort of sex act, much less oral or anal sex between consenting adults, male or female.

If you disagree, please quite chapter and verse.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8098 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1:18-25
“The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them … men are without excuse … their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools … Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie”.
And yet, there is not a thing in the passage that speaks against gay folks.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#8099 Feb 18, 2011
ACLU-Tom wrote:
Rick, I've brought this up many times, but it always falls on the deaf ears of those who think they have a monopoly on God and Christianity.
Some mindsets will never change, for better or worse. Most of what any of us say here gets lucky, when it gets the opportunity to go in one ear and out the other.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Since: Nov 10

Antioch, IL

#8100 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
Ezekeil 16:49-50
"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me..." The Hebrew word translated "detestable" refers to something that is morally disgusting and is the exact same word used in Leviticus 18:22 that refers to homosexuality as an "abomination." Similarly, Jude 7 declares, "...Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion." So, again, while homosexuality was not the only sin in which the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah indulged, it does appear to be the primary reason for the destruction of the cities.
Primary reason? So, you're just going to ignore "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy?" This is how prejudice allows you to twist the words of the Bible. How people over centuries have translated the original Hebrew to mean what they want it to support their hatred for others.

Many people have translated the story of Lot in a fashion that the people of Sodom wanted to have sex with the two angels sent by God. While the original Hebrew text says they wish to "know them." There is no definitive proof that this translates the way you wish it to. Even in the context of the story one must form their own opinion of what the crowd intended to do to the angels. Rabbinical study leans heavily towards the sin of the crowd being inhospitability towards the angels, not a sexual intent.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8101 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
But to say God completely destroyed two cities and all their inhabitants for being inhospitable clearly misses the point.
Then I geuss your a bigger authority on the Bible than all those Rabbis.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8102 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
Genesis chapter 19 records: "Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom both young and old surrounded the house. They called to Lot,'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.'
No, that is the translated abhoration that exists today.

"But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them."

It is people like you that translate it in a way it was not originally written.

“We'll just two weeks it...”

Since: Oct 10

Burbs of Chi-Town

#8103 Feb 18, 2011
greek tragedy wrote:
<quoted text>
because by legalizing same sex unions, anal intercourse is consdidered legally acceptable.
What do you mean 'legally acceptable'? Do you mean 'legal'? If so, anal sex is legal all over the US.

You do know that heterosexual couples engage in anal sex, right?

“We'll just two weeks it...”

Since: Oct 10

Burbs of Chi-Town

#8104 Feb 18, 2011
keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is that electricity has always been around because it naturally exists in the world. Lightning, for instance, is simply a flow of electrons between the ground and the clouds. Hence, electrical equipment like motors, light bulbs, and batteries aren't needed for electricity to exist. They are just creative inventions designed to harness and use electricity.
Wrong - again, you're conflating colloquialisms with proper terms.

I could continue explaining these to you but you don't believe a word I say anyways...why don't you just get to your point.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#8105 Feb 18, 2011
greek tragedy wrote:
I'm actually quite familiar with the opinions of your variation of "god", they get spouted around here often enough, that I pretty much have them down by rote. While you have both the right and the freedom to believe that you have the "true god", given the many other variations of "god" being trotted out around here, it makes your claim rather silly at best. So, your "god", hates this fag, oh well, I feel sorry for him, he's seriously missing out.
greek tragedy wrote:
When HAVEN'T all "Christians" believed some "morality" was somehow "eroding"? It's been one of the basic premises for the faith since its inception. If we weren't in constant peril from ourselves, why would even need the "Christian" variations of "god"?

If you want to fear your "god", please feel free, you do have the right, but please don't expect everyone else to give deference to your deity-phobia. We have the right, as well as the freedom, to not fear your "god", heck, we don't even have to respect him. While that may very well abhorrent to your chosen set of beliefs, your beliefs aren't the only ones in the room.
greek tragedy wrote:
Despite what you choose to believe "god" is telling you on the subject, the truth is, that there are in addition to all that icky sex stuff, real live human beings who don't stop being "faggots" when they aren't doing all that "anal sex" you keep fantasizing about. We have always been here and always will and while you claim your "god" has a problem with us, his problem isn't ours, it's yours. You may be absolutely horrified by the concept, but being a faggot is a gift of our creation, and in the public square, we are your equal. It is a challenge to be born to be a faggot, especially with people like you around to make the experience as miserable as possible, but we can not only survive, we can thrive in spite of you and your "god".
greek tragedy wrote:
Again, your "god", your problem, not ours.
greek tragedy wrote:
Your "god" having equal opportunity sexual hang ups is supposed to impress us? Your "god" needs a better spokesmodel. Just one last reminder, your "god", your problem.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8106 Feb 18, 2011
greek tragedy wrote:
perfect thank you
but do tell.
how is engaging in activity in which God abhors
loving the Lord your God?
You asked what the second most important Commandment was. Your futile attempt to bait and switch is pathetic.

You cannot prove that God abhors the activity in question. All you have is a book that men wrote trying to explain God in their own opinion. Then they declared that God had spoken to them but would never speak to another prophet again and sheep like you believe these ancient men. I still see God's wisdom being given to us. But we have to seek it through science and research. His mysteries still unfold and I won't let you or any ancient prophets lock knowledge away. That is the true work of the Devil, to keep God's wisdom away from you and to keep you compliant and complacent as false servitors of God's will.

“The man they call Vyv.”

Antioch, IL

#8107 Feb 18, 2011
greek tragedy wrote:
It was already considered legally acceptable when every sodomy law was thrown off the books as unconstitutional. What century are you in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Sat Crash 165
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Jan 11 Leasa 146
IH Rent -- Invitation Homes Rentals (Feb '14) Jan 10 Cynthia B 56
Antioch Township Website (Apr '15) Jan 9 Jilly 18
durham school bus service (Oct '09) Jan 9 FarmTan90 20
News Icons of Lakemoor Jan 8 Frankf 3
News It's already Christmas for kids at Fox Lake 'Sh... Jan 5 kellycappello 1

Antioch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance