child killed on Petite Lake

child killed on Petite Lake

Posted in the Antioch Forum

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2012
This is exactly why we sold our boat. You are neve safe on the chain. Especially Petite Lake, with everyone drinking on the sandbar.

My heart goes out for this family and their loss.
Anonymous

Hoffman Estates, IL

#3 Aug 3, 2012
Petite Lake is the worst lake to be tubing on, it's one of the smaller lakes, there are thousands of boats leaving there daily (most of them driven by drunks). Especially with the traffic that was through there this weekend. My prayers go out to the family and friends of Tony Borcia. R.I.P.
Just Wondering

Lisle, IL

#4 Aug 7, 2012
Maybe I missed it but has there been any updates to this story?? Last I heard the police were taking samples from the drivers of the boats involved
Truth

Round Lake, IL

#5 Aug 14, 2012
Charges filed...unbelievable.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120814/n...

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#6 Aug 14, 2012
Absolutely horrible. This is yet another example of why I stay off the chain on the weekends. I seriously think that tubing and skiing needs to be banned on the weekends. It's unfortunate but there are just too many idiots out there that have no idea what it takes to be a responsible boater. The loss of another child is simply too much to pay. My heartfelt condolences and prayers for this family.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#7 Aug 14, 2012
What an idiot. This is a prime example of what's wrong with the chain. And the world to some degree - I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, be they on pavement or water. Stupid and selfish a-holes.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular statement, but I still believe the parents have some degree of responsibility. They should not have been tubing on that lake at the peak weekend rush. Like people have said on other forums, it's the equivalent of sending your kid out to play on the Dan Ryan in rush hour traffic. If they were unfamiliar with the chain, they could have asked any marina, restaurant, person on a pier or passing boater for info on a safe place to tube. Maybe this will be the final straw that results in a stronger coast guard presence, or better regulation - like designated "recreation areas" where tubing, skiing and wakeboarding can be safely done. Bare minimum - every boater should know about this and learn from it.

I grew up living on the chain, and moved off the water and sold our boat because it absolutely sucks from Friday thru Monday in the summer. I know too many people who have had close calls.

I'm so sorry for this poor little boy & his family and I hope his last thought was "WOW, this is fun!" and nothing more.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#8 Aug 14, 2012
News Reader 2011 wrote:
What an idiot. This is a prime example of what's wrong with the chain. And the world to some degree - I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, be they on pavement or water. Stupid and selfish a-holes.
I'm sure this will be an unpopular statement, but I still believe the parents have some degree of responsibility. They should not have been tubing on that lake at the peak weekend rush. Like people have said on other forums, it's the equivalent of sending your kid out to play on the Dan Ryan in rush hour traffic. If they were unfamiliar with the chain, they could have asked any marina, restaurant, person on a pier or passing boater for info on a safe place to tube. Maybe this will be the final straw that results in a stronger coast guard presence, or better regulation - like designated "recreation areas" where tubing, skiing and wakeboarding can be safely done. Bare minimum - every boater should know about this and learn from it.
I grew up living on the chain, and moved off the water and sold our boat because it absolutely sucks from Friday thru Monday in the summer. I know too many people who have had close calls.
I'm so sorry for this poor little boy & his family and I hope his last thought was "WOW, this is fun!" and nothing more.
Completely agree and very well said.
Antiochian

Des Plaines, IL

#9 Aug 14, 2012
I agree with what you state, don't know solution, but it is crazy to even think of tubing on that lake. Not sure even if the driver was not drinking he could have stopped in time, but regardless he needs to pay for his mistakes as the family of the poor boy does for theirs. A horrific tragedy!!
News Reader 2011 wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TLC Coffeehouse Serves Antioch Community 8 hr put in a panera 25
Tear down Antioch bowling alley 8 hr still hungry 20
News Antioch buys 50 acres for $1 million to boost g... Wed My kids eat veggies 19
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Jul 29 Chris in Berwyn 121
Finally someone is getting things done in Antioch Jul 29 Lodvus M 22
Shutdown Grimm road! Jul 25 Grimm situation 5
Cheryl Motors on 173 Jul 19 jdshld 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Antioch Mortgages