Antioch - 3 SHOOTINGS in less than 10...

Antioch - 3 SHOOTINGS in less than 10 days?

Posted in the Antioch Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
SMS

United States

#1 Feb 2, 2007
What is going on in Antioch? There has been 3 shooting in less than 10 days. Instead of worrying about moving the city offices from down town to Prewett Park the Mayor should be addressing the crime that is obviously getting worse. I applaud the city for stepping up to the plate and addressing the section 8 problems, but there's more work to do.

Date of incident: February 2, 2007

Antioch Liquor Store Clerk Shot By Masked Gunmen KTVU.com and Bay City News. Posted on Fri, Feb. 2, 2007

A 50-year-old Antioch liquor store clerk is in critical condition Friday morning after being shot during a robbery involving three masked gunmen Thursday night.

Date of incident: January 28, 2007

Antioch teen dies of gunshot to head
CONTRA COSTA TIMES Posted on Tue, Jan. 30, 2007

An Antioch teen fatally shot at a stoplight on Hillcrest Avenue in Antioch Sunday evening has been identified as 17-year-old Jim Doung

Date of incident: January 26, 2007

Two other teens shot in city over weekend in unrelated violence CONTRA COSTA TIMES Posted on Tue, Jan. 30, 2007

At 9:48 Friday night, officers responded to reports of a possible fight and shots fired in the parking lot of the Denny's restaurant on Lone Tree Way. A customer's car was shot up, but the shooters, seen in a white Buick, had fled by the time officers arrived, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said.

Five minutes later, officers were called to a shooting barely a quarter-mile down the street at the Prewett Family Water Park and Community Center. Witnesses told police that a man began firing into a group of 15 to 20 young men who had gathered in the parking lot and began fighting after trying to crash a party at the waterpark, Welch said. One teen was shot in the thigh and shoulder as he tried to run away; another boy inside a car was struck in the wrist.
Antioch resident

AOL

#2 Feb 3, 2007
There are people in Antioch that are saying residents are trashing Antioch with their talk.
I feel they would like to silence Antioch residents. They want us to say what a beautiful town this is when actually it is the New Oakland. It is the same people and their politician friends that sold out Antioch to developers.
junk in the trunk

Alameda, CA

#3 Feb 4, 2007
antioch is the oakland of the east and it is true. A lot of violence came to antioch after letting so many sec-8 people in. And people think their rap-e-rap have no influence on their mind. It is time for people to grow up.
Married Mother of 2

San Mateo, CA

#4 Feb 17, 2007
I moved from Antioch because the crime has increased. I do believe that Antioch, Brentwood and Pittsburg are not doing enough to notify the residents for their own selfish reasons. I myself have called the police on several occasions to notify them of illegal activity that I've seen, whether it is reckless driving, suspcious characters, etc. You don't hear about the murders that are occuring in our area, why? Why do they not inform everyone about the increase in crime. There was a high speed chase on hwy 4 a few weeks ago that I witnessed, police helicopters, gunpoint, fire, but nothing on the news. A young man was shot in the head about 2 weeks ago, killed right off of Deer Valley/Hillcrest, nothing on the news, repeated gunfire off of Prewett Ranch, the gentleman who was shot at the liquor store just recently died from Antioch off of Contra Loma Blvd.(this was the only thing on the news). I've just recently learned of the increase in home invasions (several in Pittsburg in which innocent people were shot and killed. I was in Washington Mutual Bank a few months back when it was robbed at gunpoint. I had never beed so scared in my entire life. I do believe an increase is due to the San Francisco, Richmond, Oakland folks moving in. I do believe a lot has to do with Section 8 increases. Am I saying that it's all because of this (before you blast me), no. It's certain individuals who have no respect for human life, respect for themselves, but most importantly, respect for God. I am a young, black female, and I am apalled by what I have seen. We recently moved here from another state, and I am not impressed. We do not plan on purchasing in this area. Crime happens everywhere, but I don't believe the police are doing enough to inform residents of the true seriousness of the increase in crime. They want to protect the developers to continue building, and increasing revenue in the area. Just my thoughts.
Antioch being scammed

United States

#5 Feb 17, 2007
First off I think you have bought in to what the city is putting out.
Section 8 has nothing to do with it.
There are only so many certificates to get into that program and no new ones are issued. This means it is not increasing. The propaganda ' being handed out which YOU are either a victim of or a perpetrator is that some how if the city of Antioch takes over the program it will change.
This just isn't the case. The people who have the certificates do not have to surrender them to Antioch if Gary Gilbert's scam succeeds. Nor do the residences certified for them have to. It is just so they can get their greedy hands in the bucket of cash. It's the old bait and switch.
They start the fire then show up to put it out to be a hero.
Antioch's problems are that they spent redevelopment money like there was no tomorrow so they could court new development with give aways.
They lived on it like the hogs they are saying it was just FREE MONEY never mentioning that 20% of what they spent must be installed in LOW INCOME HOUSING... GET IT? THE HOUSING NO TOWN WANTS!
Now the time has come to pay the fiddler and the section 8 is just a red herring to take your eyes off those little darlings at city hall and what they are really doing.
They don't want us to see they have high rises going up on the water front for the worst kind of residents there is. Not only are they low income but pay nothing for police or services.
Reputable towns never take the redevelopment cash but Antioch and Pittsburg swam in it.
New police station, Give away housing for slum lords and a new off ramp at Somersville for the car lot. Redevelopment was just a pot of gold they dipped into for their buddies who then paid them back at election time. Now they want to tear down the historic houses in down town
for more high density growth. Thats why the new code enforcement and blight laws. It's not a new scam. We have scoff laws in City Hall!!!!!!!!!!
Look for people to tell you to move out cause they want you gone.
No history is good history to a welfare for developers town.
Once they have the numbers in their high rises they will vote in landscaping assesments, mello roos and prey on the old residents who bought the only true low income housing. The ones who under prop 13 have some protection. It would be criminal if they were street people but we are being fleeced by professional politicians and race hustlers
D Sanchez

San Jose, CA

#6 Mar 6, 2007
Get real people! If all the cops in Richmond can't curb there crime problem. What makes people look to our police department to cure our problems. We need to be more perceptive of the things that happen around us. In our own neighborhoods, in our shopping centers, and especially at our schools. Its time to stand up for our own community. And i dont mean by becoming vigilantes. Though i'm seriously considering arming myself to go to albertsons after 9:00pm any night. Havent u noticed that the 75 yr old security guards have sidearms? Dont call 911! 911's a joke. Get to know the Law enforcement and get there cell#'s they all carry nextel phones we probably pay for. Or dial antioch dispatch directly . Most importantly get the License Plate # or at least the first 3 digits and color/make etc. Start being the eyes on the street. The police are so busy with domestic violence calls in antioch(yes domestic violence is very high in this area) you cant expect them to be everywhere. And you cant start blaming the police either. These are the men and women who chase these thugs down with little reguard for there own safety. I've heard more bitchin and moaning about parking your boat or rv in your driveway, than the fact that every friday or saturday night there is an unarmed teenager gunned down in front of countless others who didnt see a thing. The way these young kids disrespect eachother i would probably shoot someone too!
RESPECT GETS RESPECT! I'VE ALMOST GIVEN UP ON THIS COMMUNITY. How big of a coward do you have to be to shoot into a crowd of people. If you kids want to play with guns join the army/marines/national guard- there are so many oppurtunities to make something of yourselves. Dont end up in jail playing butt darts.
ghetto hater

AOL

#8 Mar 17, 2007
Let me repeat myself do not move to dublin it's trivalleys ghetto hell or new oakland we have 25 acres of sec 8 like housing only they call it work force housing (hush)most times when i'm driving or shopping i see more black people than you see in oaklnd. The sad fack is no matter what the deeply biased media say's there no citys towns in this country that has a black section or large population of blacks that it's not an epidemic of crime, blight and misery even for the black people who obey the law and work. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong .Please don't tell it's the fault of the white race that's the universal excuse or because of slavery or discrimation. Be original.Bottom line you either live in a community that has a small number of blacks or no blacks or you live in the ghetto.
AntiochTax Payer

San Jose, CA

#9 Mar 18, 2007
Married Mother of 2 wrote:
I moved from Antioch because the crime has increased. I do believe that Antioch, Brentwood and Pittsburg are not doing enough to notify the residents for their own selfish reasons. I myself have called the police on several occasions to notify them of illegal activity that I've seen, whether it is reckless driving, suspcious characters, etc. You don't hear about the murders that are occuring in our area, why? Why do they not inform everyone about the increase in crime. There was a high speed chase on hwy 4 a few weeks ago that I witnessed, police helicopters, gunpoint, fire, but nothing on the news. A young man was shot in the head about 2 weeks ago, killed right off of Deer Valley/Hillcrest, nothing on the news, repeated gunfire off of Prewett Ranch, the gentleman who was shot at the liquor store just recently died from Antioch off of Contra Loma Blvd.(this was the only thing on the news). I've just recently learned of the increase in home invasions (several in Pittsburg in which innocent people were shot and killed. I was in Washington Mutual Bank a few months back when it was robbed at gunpoint. I had never beed so scared in my entire life. I do believe an increase is due to the San Francisco, Richmond, Oakland folks moving in. I do believe a lot has to do with Section 8 increases. Am I saying that it's all because of this (before you blast me), no. It's certain individuals who have no respect for human life, respect for themselves, but most importantly, respect for God. I am a young, black female, and I am apalled by what I have seen. We recently moved here from another state, and I am not impressed. We do not plan on purchasing in this area. Crime happens everywhere, but I don't believe the police are doing enough to inform residents of the true seriousness of the increase in crime. They want to protect the developers to continue building, and increasing revenue in the area. Just my thoughts.
I agree so much with you, isn't it strange how these "kids" demand respect, yet they give none? I ahve a sick feeling that this city is going to get worse, not better, because decent self respecting people, like yourself, are going to running away from what was once our beautiful, clean and affordable city!
AntiochTax Payer

San Jose, CA

#10 Mar 18, 2007
D Sanchez wrote:
Get real people! If all the cops in Richmond can't curb there crime problem. What makes people look to our police department to cure our problems. We need to be more perceptive of the things that happen around us. In our own neighborhoods, in our shopping centers, and especially at our schools. Its time to stand up for our own community. And i dont mean by becoming vigilantes. Though i'm seriously considering arming myself to go to albertsons after 9:00pm any night. Havent u noticed that the 75 yr old security guards have sidearms? Dont call 911! 911's a joke. Get to know the Law enforcement and get there cell#'s they all carry nextel phones we probably pay for. Or dial antioch dispatch directly . Most importantly get the License Plate # or at least the first 3 digits and color/make etc. Start being the eyes on the street. The police are so busy with domestic violence calls in antioch(yes domestic violence is very high in this area) you cant expect them to be everywhere. And you cant start blaming the police either. These are the men and women who chase these thugs down with little reguard for there own safety. I've heard more bitchin and moaning about parking your boat or rv in your driveway, than the fact that every friday or saturday night there is an unarmed teenager gunned down in front of countless others who didnt see a thing. The way these young kids disrespect eachother i would probably shoot someone too!
RESPECT GETS RESPECT! I'VE ALMOST GIVEN UP ON THIS COMMUNITY. How big of a coward do you have to be to shoot into a crowd of people. If you kids want to play with guns join the army/marines/national guard- there are so many oppurtunities to make something of yourselves. Dont end up in jail playing butt darts.
I sooo agree with you, but one question, are you prepared to testify against these people you see committing the crime? You know that the defence attorney gets your name, address, etc.?
worried citizen

AOL

#11 Mar 18, 2007
For all you folks that bought here because of so called affordable homes. That ended with hidden taxes. That have to take their kids to Livermore or other communities to have your children safe for skate boarding ect. That are stuck on that parking lot freeway. That have the fear of death in you when your kids go to a movie at Dear Valley Plaza. That have the fear of death when your children go to Prewitt Park. Was it worth it?????
Out of the New Oakland

Manteca, CA

#13 Mar 19, 2007
I lived in Antioch for 7 years and moved due to it becoming like Oakland. Yes Oakland. I work in Oakland and fear that drive into it that supports my family. I would go to Albertsons and have young black kids stand and walk slow in front of my truck. On another incidents young black ids were rolling shopping carts from Albertson into the street. I noticed an officer a few blocks away on his cell phone and he just nodded head head and keep talking on the phone. I returned to make sure no one would get into an accident. The officer never showed up. I left and he was still on the cell phone talking to a loved one. I blame section 8 and the police for not caring. Drive by Lone Tree and see for yourself. At night it's like your in Oakland with no law at hand. We miss Atioch and would love to return. Should we take it back my ourselves? People say it's not section 8, well awake and read who doing the killings. It's not the latinos or whites or chinese or ????. It's the blacks. Please control and get us the nice city we moved into back.
Pissed Off White Boy

Danville, CA

#14 Mar 19, 2007
So I'm at Wal-Mart with my 3 year old daughter and heavily pregnant wife and there are 3 black kids about 12 or 13 years old at the checkout. They are acting stupid and calling each other N****r among other not so nice names coupled with slapping and kicking etc... I wonder to myself should I cover my daughters ears, leave the store or let her continue to hear and see this abusive behavior. I decided at that point if they (Blacks) donít have issues using the word towards each other, then I wonít object to my daughter using the word either. After all it will have been thought directly from and by the people that seem to have issue with it. So a message to you (Blacks) if you donít want us white people using the N word donít teach our young kids to use it, and if you want respect then show it to your own kind first before expecting it from us. SIMPLE!
Irate in Antioch

Antioch, CA

#15 Mar 20, 2007
But you know how they are...if someone were to throw them out, they would get Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to file a discrimination lawsuit against Wal-Mart...only they are allowed to call each other that, not anyone else.
denise-grew up in Antioch

United States

#18 Mar 24, 2007
I read all of these comments and it makes me sad. I grew up in Antioch and moved away in 1994. Every time I go back to Antioch it is sad how it has become another town in california, with crime and drugs. I moved to Missouri to a town that remined me of Antioch when I was growing up. I am so thankful my daughter grew up in the midwest and did not grow up in Antioch. Yes they are redneck here and maybe at times backwards but I have never had to worry about locking my door at night or even during the day. I remember the day that I could do that in Antioch. I hope that the police and the city council look at the problems you are facing day in and day out and come to the conclusion that something has to be done. I miss California and I hope that someday when I come back to my hometown that it is what I remember and I can walk down the street with out fear. Keep fighting against the drug dealers and all the other crap you seem to be facing everyday. good luck

Since: Mar 07

Montrose, AL

#20 Mar 25, 2007
Married Mother of 2 wrote:
I lived in Antioch for 50 years. PAST TENSE. I still have a vested interest there because of my children and grandchildren. I know it started when Pittsburg tore down Lido Square (they were smart) and everyone brought their section 8 certificates to the condos off of Sycamore. Immediate blight. So you are right and do not apologize for being able to see the obvious. Everywhere that section 8 appears so does trouble. Do not start saying they aren"t the only ones and etc; I am saying they have a track record. You defenders need only tell me what neighborhood has improved by their presence.
Shaping the future

San Jose, CA

#21 Mar 26, 2007
I am a high school teacher and can from first-hand experience say that it is not so much an ethnicity problem as it is a culture issue. Hip-Hop, "Pimp My Ride," worrying more about one's possessions rather than a soundly educated mind... these are the facets of a culture that breeds death, selfishness, disrespect, and apathy. I cannot say that I am going to completely give up on Antioch, because I'll be damned if I'm going to let some ill-educated, self-absorbed, destructive idtiots take over not only this area of California, but the country as a whole. Prayer, voicing concerns, and telling people "No" are just a few ways of handling the situation. Fear cannot rule a clear conscience; we must remain steadfast and strong.
E A S T B A Y

San Carlos, CA

#23 Mar 27, 2007
R.I.P. "WOODIE".

ALWAYS HERE WITH US....
Tired

San Francisco, CA

#25 Apr 3, 2007
Pissed Off White Boy wrote:
So I'm at Wal-Mart with my 3 year old daughter and heavily pregnant wife and there are 3 black kids about 12 or 13 years old at the checkout. They are acting stupid and calling each other N****r among other not so nice names coupled with slapping and kicking etc... I wonder to myself should I cover my daughters ears, leave the store or let her continue to hear and see this abusive behavior. I decided at that point if they (Blacks) donít have issues using the word towards each other, then I wonít object to my daughter using the word either. After all it will have been thought directly from and by the people that seem to have issue with it. So a message to you (Blacks) if you donít want us white people using the N word donít teach our young kids to use it, and if you want respect then show it to your own kind first before expecting it from us. SIMPLE!
I am tired of non-black individuals thinking that one race is better than the other or one race is more ignorant over the other - all races have ignorance and other issues. Please disregard your ignorance to readers of this site - life would be better w/out people like you - and yes it is ignorant for black people to call each other n*****rs jus as well as it is for white people to call each other white trash or hispanics to call each other wet backs - last words for you is to THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK
Tired

San Francisco, CA

#26 Apr 3, 2007
Irate in Antioch wrote:
But you know how they are...if someone were to throw them out, they would get Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to file a discrimination lawsuit against Wal-Mart...only they are allowed to call each other that, not anyone else.
ANOTHER IGNORANT PERSON REFFERING TO INDIVIDUALS AS THEY - SORRY, ALL PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT RACES DO NOT ACT OUT THIS WAY - TRY GETTING YOU A COUPLE OF THE "THEM" FRIENDS AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF!
Tired

San Francisco, CA

#27 Apr 3, 2007
The Streets Grow Darker wrote:
"Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, I are free at last" Yes I took King's advice and moved from Antioch, CA to Oregon and now I'm free at last from what is happening to Antioch... I moved to Antioch back in 1997... A big reason (besides the affordable housing) was I could drive down the streets and see people going for walks in the evening without fear... I would go by the parks and see fathers play catch with their kids or balloons tied to picnic tables where a birthday was being celebrated... That all changed to RAP music and blacks drinking 40oz beers at the same park... When I saw the demographics changing I pack my bags and moved once again where people can walk at night without fear...
SORRY FOR YOU TOO-UNFORTUNATELY CRIME DOES NOT HAVE AN ADDRESS AND MAYBE I WOULD LET MY DAUGHTER GO OUT AND PLAY - BUT, MY BAD - I DON'T WANT PERVERTS SNATCHING HER - LOOK ON MEGAN'S LAW WEBSITE AND SEE THE COLOR RAINBOW - LOOK IN THE MIRROR BUDDY - CRIME DOER'S ARE NOT INVISIBLE - GET AN EDUCATION WHILE YOUR AT IT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
assessment tax 7 hr pidjammies1 6
News Pittsburg Ca. is safer than Concord Ca. | Conco... (Dec '08) Jul 4 show somethin 398
S.f. Murder...immagration. Jul 4 Sam the Man 2
gay topix (Jun '13) Jul 1 dickie 31
News Shots fired into Antioch home, no injuries Jun 30 wild west 1
News Bethel Island levee district gears up for propo... Jun 28 katjonez 1
Why we hate surenos in other words why we hate ... (Dec '09) Jun 27 sur 18
More from around the web

Antioch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Antioch Mortgages