49-year-old Oakley man dies in office...

49-year-old Oakley man dies in officer-involved shooting

There are 57 comments on the Pleasant Hill Record story from Oct 31, 2007, titled 49-year-old Oakley man dies in officer-involved shooting. In it, Pleasant Hill Record reports that:

An Oakley police officer fatally shot a man late Saturday night after the pair scuffled following a vehicle accident, according to the Contra Costa Sheriff's Office. via Pleasant Hill Record

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pleasant Hill Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sue brennan

Walnut Creek, CA

#1 Oct 31, 2007
James Brennan was a local businessman for the last 31 years. He was the father of 4. He was unarmed . Where is the justice in this?
Wescott

United States

#2 Nov 1, 2007
How many officers have been shot with their own guns? He had a right and the authority to defend himself or HE might be the dead father!

Are you really a relative? A wife?

If so, why was he speeding. He hit another car. Fought the officer who tried to help. Then the son and brother try to run the officer down...?! What kind of criminal family is this???
Wescott

United States

#3 Nov 1, 2007
Was he high on drugs? Why was he trying to get the officer's gun? Was he guilty of more than just reckless driving...? Sounds like it to me.
Wescott

United States

#4 Nov 1, 2007
I'm sorry this man was killed, but why did he provoke this? He would be alive now if he kept his head.
Pro Police

United States

#5 Nov 2, 2007
I know that nobody is perfect. It sounds like the man was either extremly drunk or under the influence of drugs. Who in there right mind is going to attack a law enforcement officer. I get tired of hearing people say "I didnt know it was a police officer". That is outrageous. In the news the reporter said that the man was involved in a hit and run accident and then shortly fled from the police. As soon as the police officer pulled the man over and approached the man in the vehicle, the man got out and attacked the officer. Then the man was trying to get the officers gun away from him. I believe the officer did not want to shoot the man but he had no other choice. I feel bad for the family but I understand that the officer did what he had to do. We need more law enforcement officers like that. Good Job.
Wescott

United States

#6 Nov 2, 2007
Pro Police wrote:
I know that nobody is perfect. It sounds like the man was either extremly drunk or under the influence of drugs. Who in there right mind is going to attack a law enforcement officer. I get tired of hearing people say "I didnt know it was a police officer". That is outrageous. In the news the reporter said that the man was involved in a hit and run accident and then shortly fled from the police. As soon as the police officer pulled the man over and approached the man in the vehicle, the man got out and attacked the officer. Then the man was trying to get the officers gun away from him. I believe the officer did not want to shoot the man but he had no other choice. I feel bad for the family but I understand that the officer did what he had to do. We need more law enforcement officers like that. Good Job.
I agree. The officer was forced to save his life. Every situation is unpredictable for them, so they have to be extremely cautious. I did not know it was a hit and run. This man was not only endangering his own life, but his family's and everyone around him.

There is no "injustice" about it.
Samantha

Tacoma, WA

#7 Nov 2, 2007
everyone is commenting on only one side of this story, I mean really do any of you really know what happened???? or it's just what the officer told reporters, I mean of course he's going to say what ever makes him look like the good guy in this situation, and to make matthew look bad, when matt was just running over to see if his father was okay and gets beat up bad enough to have to be taken to the hospital, and the fing cop jumped out infront of the vehicle that steve was driving, don't you think if someone was attempting to run someone over that you wouldnt't really miss!!!! anyhow I could go on and on, but I will finish this with one thing being said, that justice will be served!!! and that this particular officer knows what he did and that it was wrong!!! HE has to live with that the rest of his life, knowing that he shot someone, he didn't have to.
mps

United States

#8 Nov 3, 2007
We as honest hard working citizens can only hope that your type of thinking would be stamped out forever as our great country has done to others who have aligned with your type of mindset in the past, such as Hilter, Sadamm Hussein, etc… This man was unarmed, and murdered by a law enforcement agency that is obviously unprepared to handle this type of scenario with other that brute force. Shoot first, ask questions later. Please advise us as to when you plan to relocate to this fine city, so the rest of us can go to your funeral after you have had a bad day. Zig Heil to you and yours.
Pro Police wrote:
mps

United States

#9 Nov 3, 2007
We as honest hard working citizens can only hope that your type of thinking would be stamped out forever as our great country has done to others who have aligned with your type of mindset in the past, such as Hilter, Sadamm Hussein, etc… This man was unarmed, and murdered by a law enforcement agency that is obviously unprepared to handle this type of scenario with other that brute force. Shoot first, ask questions later. Please advise us as to when you plan to relocate to this fine city, so the rest of us can go to your funeral after you have had a bad day. Zig Heil to you and yours.
anonymous

AOL

#10 Nov 3, 2007
In response to Wescott: You really are nieve! Do you actually believe the BS cop story?? I know for a fact that Ian Jones is a cop that uses excessive force!! Its easy to say that he was fighting for his life when the defendent is dead! They lie and make up stuff to justify their wrong doing. Then they get supported. I think that when a cop uses excessive force, or worse, that they should be tested for steroids. To take a life should be the absolute last resort. There areother ways to bring someone in. Especially an unarmed person! I just don't get it!! When they open up Ians files, they will see that this is no surprise that this happened. Don't assume that what the cops say is the truth. THEY LIE!!!!
Fairness

AOL

#11 Nov 4, 2007
Where did you get your information from. the newspaper?? You were not there. The VICTIM was in his own driveway.
Stop fabricating things that you do not have all the facts.
So before making your statement, wait for the Investigation to be completed.
It is a shame to come out with all this trash, and condemning a decent, hardworking person. The victim was wrong if he did speed. Don't tell me, no one in your family has not ever gone over the speed limit. No one should be killed for that. This man was a good person, most probably far better then any of those that have been posting such negative things about him.
Wait until all the facts have been produced, instead of insulting and fabricating such rubbish. All this twisting things around.
Just hope the whole incident has been caught on Video, so the truth is presented. Just like the Media to condemn before they know all the facts.
Everyone seems to forget there is also a grieving family, and why hurt them even more. This was not a violent man, something just does not sound right, only the full investigation will tell the true story.
Fairness

AOL

#12 Nov 4, 2007
sue brennan wrote:
James Brennan was a local businessman for the last 31 years. He was the father of 4. He was unarmed . Where is the justice in this?
sue brennan wrote:
So sorry about your loss!! Hope they do a full investigation.
Also, hope there was a Video.
Heard many good things about Mr. Brennan, and that he was not a violent man. He was a kind and a very hard working man.
Cannot believe all that has been posted. People can be so heartless and cruel. Did not know Mr. Brennan, just heard about him, what a kind and loving person he was over the years.
Sorry for the family that has to go through such a tragedy.
hmmmm

Pittsburg, CA

#13 Nov 4, 2007
from what i have heard he was mentally ill, and a few years ago in antioch a man was killed who also was mentally ill and thought vampires where after and he called the police for help and when they got there they shot and killed him
COLLEEN

Chico, CA

#14 Nov 4, 2007
HOW AUDACIOUS FOR YOU TO COMPARE JIM BRENNAN TO THIS MAN IN ANTIOCH. HOW CRUEL CAN YOU BE.
JIM WAS A PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS OWNER IN OAKLEY FOR DECADES. JIM AND KATHY HAD THREE GROWN BOYS TOGETHER. MY DAUGHTER DATED MATT FOR SEVEN YEARS, AND NOT ONCE IN THAT SEVEN YEARS DID I EVER SEE JIM BRENNAN BECOME ANGRY NOR LOSE HIS TEMPER; WHEN GINA AND MATT WOULD GO OFF TOGETHER ALL I HAD TO DO WAS CONTACT JIM AND WITHIN AN HOUR JIM WOULD HAVE HER BACK HOME. HE WAS A VERY LOVING MAN, WHO LOVED HIS FAMILY....AND, COULDN'T HAVE HAD HIS BUSINESS FOR DECADES AS YOU SO CRUDELY PUT IT WAS RUNNING AFTER VAMPIRES. SHAME ON YOU. COLLEEN.
COLLEEN

Chico, CA

#15 Nov 4, 2007
JIM BRENNAN WILL BE SORELY MISSED BY ALL WHOSE LIVES HE TOUCHED. HE WAS UNARMED, AND WAS SHOT BY A GUN-HAPPY COP...ANOTHER READER HAS HAD THE UNFORTUNATE OPPORTUNITY OF DEALING WITH IAN JONES, AND HE WILL TELL YOU HIMSELF IAN JONES "THE COP" IS THE ONE WHO IS VOLITALE, NOT JIM BRENNAN. IF JIM WAS THE CRAZY PERSON AS SOME TRY TO MAKE HIM OUT TO BE, HOW DID HE RUN AND OWN HIS OWN BUSINESS IN OAKLEY FOR DECADES? IMPOSSIBLE...THE COP IS NO MORE THEN A MURDERER. BY THE WAY JIM WAS ON HIS OWN PROPERTY. WHEN GINA AND MATT WOULD GO OFF SOMEWHERE, ALL I HAD TO DO WAS GO TO JIM'S AND GINA WOULD BE HOME WITHIN THE HOUR. HE WAS AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME PERSON. COLLEEN.

“No really.. It was me. huhuhuh”

Since: Nov 07

bugzville

#16 Nov 5, 2007
So what happened then colleen. without shouting in all caps at us and without letting your personal feelings go, try and calmly tell us what happened to this person. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic. I want to know what you were told is what really happened. Was he drunk, was he angry at someone, every adult male I know has had bad times and probably has verbally snapped at a cop once or twice for a moving violation or a domestic situation. why was he confronted by a police officer. Did he fail to yield. If so, Do you think he didn't realize the cop was behind him? Do you feel the officer may have thought he was in flight and ended up in shooting your friend Jim for unjustifiable reasons? Do you feel the cop is a jerk and well known for being abusive and targeted Jim?(I sort of know a cop or two like that). We want you to tell us your version without stating in All caps as if you're angry. It's like you're yelling at everyone in this room whether they believe you or not. I don't mean to sound insensitive but He wasn't your spouse and he wasn't your child or father, You may have loved him but this is a bit of an overreaction on your part and you should be calm for the family who is suffering on a much more personal level and try and be a proper spokes person for them instead of coming in here and screaming the top of your head off. It really sucks if this cop is a dirty cop and killed him for personal reasons. Just don't take it out on us because the Oakley press or Coco times gave disinformation. if it was your child I would be in tears for you.
Wescott

United States

#17 Nov 5, 2007
Fairness wrote: "This man was a good person, most probably far better then any of those that have been posting such negative things about him."

You should look in the mirror. You're making assumptions and judgements yourself.

Actually, I had more questions than comments because the full story will never be known or told by the media.

Were you ALL eye witnesses? You saw EXCACTLY what happened. This man was absolutely no threat to ANYONE?

Also, if you don't like comments, you should stay off these forums. Forums are here for people to express their thoughts. You don't have to agree (or yell).
Wescott

United States

#18 Nov 5, 2007
mps wrote:
We as honest hard working citizens can only hope that your type of thinking would be stamped out forever as our great country has done to others who have aligned with your type of mindset in the past, such as Hilter, Sadamm Hussein, etc… This man was unarmed, and murdered by a law enforcement agency that is obviously unprepared to handle this type of scenario with other that brute force. Shoot first, ask questions later. Please advise us as to when you plan to relocate to this fine city, so the rest of us can go to your funeral after you have had a bad day. Zig Heil to you and yours.<quoted text>
Do you know for a fact that he did NOT try to take the officer's gun? Did the gun just go off while they were struggling for it? Were you there?

Let's say you are an officer and someone tried to take your gun... Would you defend yourself? Would you stand there and wait to be shot?

Hard to believe the officer and hard to believe friends of this man.
Wescott

United States

#19 Nov 5, 2007
COLLEEN wrote:
JIM BRENNAN WILL BE SORELY MISSED BY ALL WHOSE LIVES HE TOUCHED. HE WAS UNARMED, AND WAS SHOT BY A GUN-HAPPY COP...ANOTHER READER HAS HAD THE UNFORTUNATE OPPORTUNITY OF DEALING WITH IAN JONES, AND HE WILL TELL YOU HIMSELF IAN JONES "THE COP" IS THE ONE WHO IS VOLITALE, NOT JIM BRENNAN. IF JIM WAS THE CRAZY PERSON AS SOME TRY TO MAKE HIM OUT TO BE, HOW DID HE RUN AND OWN HIS OWN BUSINESS IN OAKLEY FOR DECADES? IMPOSSIBLE...THE COP IS NO MORE THEN A MURDERER. BY THE WAY JIM WAS ON HIS OWN PROPERTY. WHEN GINA AND MATT WOULD GO OFF SOMEWHERE, ALL I HAD TO DO WAS GO TO JIM'S AND GINA WOULD BE HOME WITHIN THE HOUR. HE WAS AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME PERSON. COLLEEN.
Do you even know all the facts? Please share with us...because you have not said much that matters in this case.
COLLEEN

Chico, CA

#20 Nov 5, 2007
I Shot John F Kennedy wrote:
So what happened then colleen. without shouting in all caps at us and without letting your personal feelings go, try and calmly tell us what happened to this person. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic. I want to know what you were told is what really happened. Was he drunk, was he angry at someone, every adult male I know has had bad times and probably has verbally snapped at a cop once or twice for a moving violation or a domestic situation. why was he confronted by a police officer. Did he fail to yield. If so, Do you think he didn't realize the cop was behind him? Do you feel the officer may have thought he was in flight and ended up in shooting your friend Jim for unjustifiable reasons? Do you feel the cop is a jerk and well known for being abusive and targeted Jim?(I sort of know a cop or two like that). We want you to tell us your version without stating in All caps as if you're angry. It's like you're yelling at everyone in this room whether they believe you or not. I don't mean to sound insensitive but He wasn't your spouse and he wasn't your child or father, You may have loved him but this is a bit of an overreaction on your part and you should be calm for the family who is suffering on a much more personal level and try and be a proper spokes person for them instead of coming in here and screaming the top of your head off. It really sucks if this cop is a dirty cop and killed him for personal reasons. Just don't take it out on us because the Oakley press or Coco times gave disinformation. if it was your child I would be in tears for you.
I don't shout out loud, in fact I'm a certified counselor. Jim never, ever carried a firearm, he was on his own property. Matt "his son" was called and when he got to the scene, he was devastated, the cops proceeded to put him in the back of their vehicle and beat him so severely that he had to be taken to the hospital...all he was yelling was: "Please somebody call 911 to try and save my Dad's life." Kindly, Colleen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antioch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Antioch ca marina/Amtrak station harassment 12 hr Ernie srednas 1
News Antioch Council reverses direction, moves forwa... Thu by highway four 1
News Stabbing of Muslim woman in Antioch shopping ce... (Jun '13) Aug 23 Tyrese 28
News Pittsburg looking to make a splash in Bay Area ... Aug 23 Fart news 2
residential parking in front of other people ho... Aug 22 Luther Henderson 2
News Baby dies shortly after being transported from ... Aug 18 Fart news 2
News Priced out of hometowns, blacks return on Sunda... Aug 17 Big Knob 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Antioch Mortgages