The Highpoint ....Info Please!

The Highpoint ....Info Please!

Posted in the Antigo Forum

Julie

Janesville, WI

#1 Feb 19, 2007
Hello, I am looking to find pictures, memorabilia, story's etc... My Great Uncle, Glen Bergen, and Aunt Ellen,(son-Shelly) ran "The Highpoint" Tavern for many years. In the latter years they ran it on and off. When I was a child I used to stay there during summer vacations with my family. I have wonderful memories of those times. I think they had a restaurant as well as roller skating. I remember the dining hall and a room full of taxidermy animals. I have also heard that during the depression there may have been some bootlegging going on there.
My husband and I found the Tavern about 5 years ago. It was not in operation and looked as though it had been ransacked. We were able to speak to Audrey, I called her Aunt Audrey, and her son Otto that lived across the street from the Tavern as long as I have known. Aunt Audrey worked for the Bergens for around 30 years. I was surprised they were still there.
I heard that there was thought by the last owner to turn it into a strip club. I have since heard that it burned.
My Uncle Glen passed away in 1988. We did though go see Aunt Ellen who lived in a cabin on Summit Lake. I believe she now lives with their son Shelly who I believe lives out of state now. I know at one time he was a disk jockey on a radio station but have now idea where that would be.
I am now doing a genealogy on our family and am hoping someone can help with any information or photos, match book covers, postcards or just memorable story's. Please post any info so I can learn more. Thank you in advance for your time.
Julie
Julie

Janesville, WI

#2 Feb 24, 2007
Julie wrote:
Hello, I am looking to find pictures, memorabilia, story's etc... My Great Uncle, Glen Bergen, and Aunt Ellen,(son-Shelly) ran "The Highpoint" Tavern for many years. In the latter years they ran it on and off. When I was a child I used to stay there during summer vacations with my family. I have wonderful memories of those times. I think they had a restaurant as well as roller skating. I remember the dining hall and a room full of taxidermy animals. I have also heard that during the depression there may have been some bootlegging going on there.
My husband and I found the Tavern about 5 years ago. It was not in operation and looked as though it had been ransacked. We were able to speak to Audrey, I called her Aunt Audrey, and her son Otto that lived across the street from the Tavern as long as I have known. Aunt Audrey worked for the Bergens for around 30 years. I was surprised they were still there.
I heard that there was thought by the last owner to turn it into a strip club. I have since heard that it burned.
My Uncle Glen passed away in 1988. We did though go see Aunt Ellen who lived in a cabin on Summit Lake. I believe she now lives with their son Shelly who I believe lives out of state now. I know at one time he was a disk jockey on a radio station but have now idea where that would be.
I am now doing a genealogy on our family and am hoping someone can help with any information or photos, match book covers, postcards or just memorable story's. Please post any info so I can learn more. Thank you in advance for your time.
Julie
I now know that Shelly Bergen and his mother, my great Aunt Ellen, are living in Deluth Wisconsin. Audrey and her sons last name is Tiegs.
The actual name was "The Highpoint Inn" and was closer to Elcho, and Summit Lake.
Just thought that might help jog a thought...thanks
Julie
Cindy

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 5, 2008
Hi, I grew up in Elcho, Wisconsin, and spent many days at the High Point Inn. Glen and Ellen were good friends of my parents, and I knew Shelly. He was a few years older than me. My father and all his cronies hung out at the High Point and played pool every single Sunday evening for years and years. Audrey Tiegs was a friend of my mother's, also. Your uncle, Glen, was a favorite friend of mine. He was just a wonderful man. Ellen was also a really nice lady. I don't have any memorabilia, except for a high school year book from one of Shelly's high school years.

At some point in recent history, I believe the building burned. I also thought that Ellen had passed away many years ago, but perhaps I was mistaken. Shelly was a DJ in Duluth, MN, aka "Ron Rogers" at a country western station. If you google his name, you'll find some things about the station.

I haven't thought about that place in a long time, but I feel like I grew up there. When I got married, our wedding reception was there in the dining hall. There was a large dining room, the bar, a small dining room where us kids used to hang out and watch tv, the kitchen; outside there was a baseball field and for many years a game farm, which eventually closed. Many childhood memories are tied to that place!

They sold the business I believe in the early 70's, only to have the new owners tank, and they ended up back at the business. I got married in 1979, and never went back to Elcho much, so I don't know too much what happened there after that, other then I remember my sister telling me that the place had burned. I haven't been back to the area for almost 20 years, but actually am planning a road trip this spring and going to "tour" the old area. I'll have to check it out and see what's left there!
Steve

Jackson, WI

#4 Feb 17, 2010
Julie wrote:
<quoted text>
I now know that Shelly Bergen and his mother, my great Aunt Ellen, are living in Deluth Wisconsin. Audrey and her sons last name is Tiegs.
The actual name was "The Highpoint Inn" and was closer to Elcho, and Summit Lake.
Just thought that might help jog a thought...thanks
Julie
Glen and Ellen are my uncle and aunt. Ellen is my mother's sister. Ellen was living in the Duluth area with Shelly but just passed away yesterday Feb. 16, 2010. I will have ask my mother if she has any pictures. I also spent many vacations at the Highpoint.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antigo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colten Jenkins Sep '17 Girl 1
News Antigo officer honored with national award (May '17) May '17 MargaretStewart 1
News Man charged with kidnapping (Sep '10) Mar '17 Jerry 2
Kayla Berg (Oct '16) Oct '16 tangledweb 1
News Sen. Johnson campaigning with Speaker Ryan Thur... (May '16) May '16 storm warning 2
looking for a good time (May '15) May '16 TRUMPGawD2016 2
Repent Repent Repent Antigo (Apr '16) May '16 TRUMPGawD2016 2

Antigo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Antigo Mortgages