Our schools: State looks at merging d...

Our schools: State looks at merging districts to save money

There are 80 comments on the El Paso Times story from Feb 19, 2011, titled Our schools: State looks at merging districts to save money. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Anthony Independent School District, with fewer than 900 students and 56 teachers, is the smallest of the nine school districts in El Paso County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
GAS

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2011
Finally somebody is making some sense. They need to consolidate school districts. After reading this article they make more excuses as to why this can't be done. Also if we did consolidate all of El Paso school disricts, I disagree that we would be second to Houston in student population. We would be first easily with all the illegals in our schools here in El Paso.
james russell

El Paso, TX

#2 Feb 20, 2011
THE school districts that should be consolidated are San Elizario, Clint, Fabens and Tornillo in the south and Canutillo and Anthony in the north west area. IT would save a lot of money and they could settle on one administrative office. IT would also save on Election cost for school board members.
Benny Warez

Lakeland, FL

#3 Feb 20, 2011
This is a common theme across the country, as states look at ways to stretch dollars. Most likely won't happen, w/the exception of Anthony. Considering their proximity to Canutillo, it kinda makes sense to merge them into Canutillo; makes even more sense to merge Canutillo and Anthony into EPISD.

Tornillo, Clint, and San Eli would be a sensible consolidation, but they seem to be managing their finances and allocations well - thus, not likely. Those systems being absorbed into SISD makes a great deal of sense as well.

What I do foresee f/smaller school systems in the EP area (if they don't merge), is the elimination of athletic programs. Athletics are a SEVERE drain on school finances, and really should be managed by cities, in a club team format. Athletics at Clint, Canutillo, TISD, AISD, & SEISD just don't take in enough revenue to defray costs associated w/managing men and women sports. Football attendance/revenues, have been anemic at the aforementioned schools.
SalCarlosLutherG ilbert

AOL

#4 Feb 20, 2011
El Paso County schools should all be consolidated into one district.

That way there would be less public officials to indict in the next round up.
Tacho Aaron

Barnhart, MO

#5 Feb 20, 2011
SalCarlosLutherGilbert wrote:
El Paso County schools should all be consolidated into one district.
That way there would be less public officials to indict in the next round up.
Too funny!!!
John Holmes

United States

#6 Feb 20, 2011
SalCarlosLutherGilbert wrote:
El Paso County schools should all be consolidated into one district.
That way there would be less public officials to indict in the next round up.
Sad, unfortunate fact of life, for the residents of west Texas. The Superintendents and Board of Trustees that work for them are prime examples of a government system gone WRONG! Fact is EPISD, CISD, YISD all have syndicated and developed an incestuous relationship in hiding out one crimminal from place to place.
Liam

El Paso, TX

#7 Feb 20, 2011
John Holmes wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, unfortunate fact of life, for the residents of west Texas. The Superintendents and Board of Trustees that work for them are prime examples of a government system gone WRONG! Fact is EPISD, CISD, YISD all have syndicated and developed an incestuous relationship in hiding out one crimminal from place to place.
These syndicates are awful that you speak of. I notice you didn't mention SISD because they are the solid earth. But it's a shame how people who provide us pleasure for so many years are then stabbed in the back by those closest to them when things go awry, such as a failed AID's test. I always thought you were innocent but I know the media had a field day with you.
Larry

El Paso, TX

#8 Feb 20, 2011
John Holmes wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, unfortunate fact of life, for the residents of west Texas. The Superintendents and Board of Trustees that work for them are prime examples of a government system gone WRONG! Fact is EPISD, CISD, YISD all have syndicated and developed an incestuous relationship in hiding out one crimminal from place to place.
Just hold your Wadd there, no pun intended. Incest is not as bad as it's cracked up to be if you're talking about a distant cousin or an aunt that's not blood related. After all, you got with Aunt Peg, did you not?
AddItUp

El Paso, TX

#9 Feb 20, 2011
This does not save money. Add it up and compare schools consolidated in El Paso with Houston ISD. There is no savings.

Examples of large consolidated schools: Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, and New York. These are considered the worst public schools in the country.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
YESTOVOUCHER

El Paso, TX

#10 Feb 20, 2011
The state should mandate all districts allow voucher for students to go to school where the parent think best. This could result in a huge savings by placing more students in the private sector.
Maria Quintanilla

El Paso, TX

#11 Feb 20, 2011
If the districts are in need of money, then maybe the schools should start charging the parents tuition or they should have to buy the text books. Maybe that would bring in some money for the districts and the children would take their education more seriously because mom and dad are having to fork over some money. I bet you parents would be on top of their kids as well.
Mister John Smith

Washington, DC

#12 Feb 20, 2011
YESTOVOUCHER wrote:
The state should mandate all districts allow voucher for students to go to school where the parent think best. This could result in a huge savings by placing more students in the private sector.
Privatize is the way to go!
In this day an age of cut-backs, etc. the school system better get ahead of the curve and trim down their spending or we'll do it for them. No one is exempt. The private sector, the federal government, the unions,.........
james russell

El Paso, TX

#13 Feb 20, 2011
Have the parents buy them the KINDLES books for High school and middle schools. When the kids graduate they can either sell it to another student or keep it and down load College books instead of having to carry around large piles on their backs. The savings on the hardback books would be tremendous and space saving for the districts. ADDITUP doesn't understand the smaller district are money losers and combining them would cut the costs to run Elections for the boards and consolidate services. The biggest thing int he school districts here is to force the schools to determine citizenship of all the students to make sure those from Mexico actually pay tuition.
whatever

El Paso, TX

#14 Feb 20, 2011
Maria Quintanilla wrote:
If the districts are in need of money, then maybe the schools should start charging the parents tuition or they should have to buy the text books. Maybe that would bring in some money for the districts and the children would take their education more seriously because mom and dad are having to fork over some money. I bet you parents would be on top of their kids as well.
start charging tuition for mexican residents and for books
Sun Ra

Canton, GA

#15 Feb 20, 2011
Consolidation of school districts in El Paso county would be a bad idea. The best administration of all the involved districts is not EPISD (the largest); you would have a revolt on your hands if everyone were to be forced to become one big EPISD.
fix

El Paso, TX

#16 Feb 20, 2011
It's true we need to fix what needs to be fixed, no doubt. However, this financial plan could quickly turn into a disaster plan, esp. for the students. Good luck with getting everyone on the same page. I agree we need to save tax dollars and eliminate pork barrel spending, but I'm not sure this is the way to go. Each campus, region, and community varies so much, it will take a long time and perhaps more money to implement the same policies, norms, etc. on everyone.
back to basics

El Paso, TX

#17 Feb 20, 2011
It is an excellent idea that has finally caught fire! By reducing the Administrative staff, their is a significant savings in salaries and benefits. Additional savings can be obtained by the redistricting of schools and administrative staffs. Coupled with teacher layoffs, this will definitely reduce costs. A state law provision should be included to prove citizenship/residency for students to attend. Employers have to comply with the I-9 forms, why shouldn't schools have to comply?
silverado

El Paso, TX

#18 Feb 20, 2011
Private vouchers make way too much sense, therefore it will not happen. You cannot kill the golden calf (or in this case the cash cow that many school administrators live off).
CPS

El Paso, TX

#19 Feb 20, 2011
The belief that there would be no noticable savings is outlandish. If El Paso was reduced to three districts the saving on the federal government would be almost a third.

Lets, make this simple and on a merit plan. Certian districs are financially stable. Those persons who managed the money fo those districts are hired and the rest are fired (easy). That gets rid of five over paid superatendents ($700,000.00). not including thier staff. Opening the door for thier staff is around 1 million dollars.

Now I am not stupid there wold possibly be some new hires but bring then at or near the lower part of the pay scale.

Next is the complaint of cultural differances. El Paso is 85% Hispanic. What are the differences? The affluent here in this town enroll thier children in privat school.

Next lack of schools. All the now idle offices should be converted into school. The building would only have to be enlarged in some cases. The offices are more modern than the class rooms anyway. If the exsiting buildings are to small then sell the property and use the money to support the new district.

Validating if a student is a citizen is a real need. It they have the proof then comin, if they are not then a cost should be attached to the family for the child attending. If a family can move over to this country and buy a house worth 100,000.00 and up they have some cash. Do not be nieve.

Now before all this is done look at the busing system. Need to have one main yard where all maintance will be done. other areas would be staging points for the busess. That means they need a satalite office as big as a crackerjack box. Nothing bigger, Just large enough for the driver to walk in spin around and walk out.

Total potiential savings in one year 3.5 million. In three year 10 million. The only problem would be to keep cost in check. Stop spending my money like it is water. If I am living on a strict budget then so should the school districts.
ohmygosh

El Paso, TX

#20 Feb 20, 2011
why not merge all the Juarez districts with all el paso districts? i mean, almost every student from Juarez attends school in el paso, so this would be a good idea, for both cities..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthony Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former El Paso County sheriff's deputy indicted... Aug 29 DC Dave 6
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 17 District farts 977
News El Paso Outlet Mall Embraces Black Friday (Nov '07) Aug 16 huey goins 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 15 More farts 790
News U.S. Marshals searching for escaped La Tuna pri... Jul '15 butters_ 2
i live in el Paso tx , anyone willing to f**k a... Jul '15 curious 1
News Weather service warns of possible icy roads Thu... (Jan '15) Jan '15 cat2009 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anthony Mortgages